STD Tuning Engine OBD codes

OBD codes

OBD codes

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Boatbuilder
MSc

09-19-2013, 05:00 AM #1
Hi, have an interesting problem. E320 engine 613.961. Will not start due to fault code P-1354-064 which are lack of synchconization between crank signal and camshaft signal because of NO camshaft signal.
So far so good. But I have measured all three wires from ECU to sensor and also measured both ground and 12v power from the ECU and also tested the sensor in a scope and everything okey. (also changed sensor)

Question : Is it other problems also creating this fault code ?
or do you have an idea of what to look for ?
I am splitting my hair. Would appreciate a lot if somebody come up with some hints !
Boatbuilder
09-19-2013, 05:00 AM #1

Hi, have an interesting problem. E320 engine 613.961. Will not start due to fault code P-1354-064 which are lack of synchconization between crank signal and camshaft signal because of NO camshaft signal.
So far so good. But I have measured all three wires from ECU to sensor and also measured both ground and 12v power from the ECU and also tested the sensor in a scope and everything okey. (also changed sensor)

Question : Is it other problems also creating this fault code ?
or do you have an idea of what to look for ?
I am splitting my hair. Would appreciate a lot if somebody come up with some hints !

raysorenson
Superturbo

09-19-2013, 03:32 PM #2
Synchronization errors are typically due to mechanical issues. The cam signal doesn't reach the ecu at the time, in degrees of crank rotation, that it should.
raysorenson
09-19-2013, 03:32 PM #2

Synchronization errors are typically due to mechanical issues. The cam signal doesn't reach the ecu at the time, in degrees of crank rotation, that it should.

hansendk
TA 0301

09-19-2013, 06:47 PM #3
i have seen on a audi V6 that the chain was getting longer so that the system thinks its wrong timming, so what is your running hours/km on the engine, you might have to change the chain, try turning the engine until you have signal on the crank sensor and then check the signal on the cam sensor.
hansendk
09-19-2013, 06:47 PM #3

i have seen on a audi V6 that the chain was getting longer so that the system thinks its wrong timming, so what is your running hours/km on the engine, you might have to change the chain, try turning the engine until you have signal on the crank sensor and then check the signal on the cam sensor.

Boatbuilder
MSc

09-20-2013, 06:05 AM #4
(09-19-2013, 03:32 PM)raysorenson Synchronization errors are typically due to mechanical issues. The cam signal doesn't reach the ecu at the time, in degrees of crank rotation, that it should.

Thanks a lot , if timing chain tensioner not works correctly the chain might jump a tooth but are that enough to give such fault code ? and do you know how many teeth it can jump before the valves are hitting the pistons ?
Boatbuilder
09-20-2013, 06:05 AM #4

(09-19-2013, 03:32 PM)raysorenson Synchronization errors are typically due to mechanical issues. The cam signal doesn't reach the ecu at the time, in degrees of crank rotation, that it should.

Thanks a lot , if timing chain tensioner not works correctly the chain might jump a tooth but are that enough to give such fault code ? and do you know how many teeth it can jump before the valves are hitting the pistons ?

raysorenson
Superturbo

09-20-2013, 08:39 AM #5
*disclaimer* I don't work on new Benzes. I work on Fords but the tolerances for crank/cam timing should be close across all manufacturers.

I've seen sync errors with bad tensioners and the chain has not yet jumped a tooth. A loose or misaligned tone ring for the crank or cam sensor could cause this..Loose cam sprocket.
On the electrical side I've even seen, sh!t you not, bad diodes in alternators causing issues with the VR sensor signal setting synchronization and/or cam sensor codes. Hall sensor signals are more robust and are not as prone to electrical interference.

Cam/crank sensor signals and synchronization errors can be VERY difficult to diagnose.
raysorenson
09-20-2013, 08:39 AM #5

*disclaimer* I don't work on new Benzes. I work on Fords but the tolerances for crank/cam timing should be close across all manufacturers.

I've seen sync errors with bad tensioners and the chain has not yet jumped a tooth. A loose or misaligned tone ring for the crank or cam sensor could cause this..Loose cam sprocket.
On the electrical side I've even seen, sh!t you not, bad diodes in alternators causing issues with the VR sensor signal setting synchronization and/or cam sensor codes. Hall sensor signals are more robust and are not as prone to electrical interference.

Cam/crank sensor signals and synchronization errors can be VERY difficult to diagnose.

Boatbuilder
MSc

09-20-2013, 09:12 AM #6
(09-20-2013, 08:39 AM)raysorenson *disclaimer* I don't work on new Benzes. I work on Fords but the tolerances for crank/cam timing should be close across all manufacturers.

Thanks, looks like I have a lot of work to do in order to check the whole timing system.
Boatbuilder
09-20-2013, 09:12 AM #6

(09-20-2013, 08:39 AM)raysorenson *disclaimer* I don't work on new Benzes. I work on Fords but the tolerances for crank/cam timing should be close across all manufacturers.

Thanks, looks like I have a lot of work to do in order to check the whole timing system.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average