STD Other Projects ye ol turd bucket. 75 w115 300d

ye ol turd bucket. 75 w115 300d

ye ol turd bucket. 75 w115 300d

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

09-20-2013, 01:43 PM #1
Pics up later. Decided I should post haven't done that lately. School has me very busy. Bought an old bucket. Broke down I think I'm out of fuel. Where the sending unit in this thing? Maybe guage not working. Temp gauge neither. Also need a radiator. Leaky.

" straighten up that star on the grill, assholes."

lgreeley83
09-20-2013, 01:43 PM #1

Pics up later. Decided I should post haven't done that lately. School has me very busy. Bought an old bucket. Broke down I think I'm out of fuel. Where the sending unit in this thing? Maybe guage not working. Temp gauge neither. Also need a radiator. Leaky.

1911diesel
GT2256V

09-20-2013, 02:43 PM #2
i dont know if you can get to the tank the same way on the w115 as the w126, but i just pulled the rear seat out of the womans and on the top of the tank there is a port, the sending unit filter and all that come out i cleaned the filter and rods that the sending unit slides on and repaired a connection and it works. sounds like if you have more then one gauge working it may be in the cluster. or more then one sensor not working. with out playing with a volt meter i couldnt tell you for sure. but thats how i would start, volt meter and trace down the not working sensors, check for bad connections, or broke wires. then if that doesnt work check gauge cluster. i dont know what to tell ya about a rad, benzboys in MI says they pull n ship. gotta be cheaper then new... but then again PP is pretty good on OEM parts. thats who i order all my stuff thru. good luck post some results! and pics!

82 300SD-this engine may go in the 78...-Mary Jane
78 300CD-may be getting a new engine and rear end...-Brunhilde
82 300CD-uhhh race car project???-Gerda
85 300SD- the womans daily ITS F**KING PINK!-Tsybil
92 F350 CC LB dually-back up/tow pig/long haul land yacht.-Betsey

[Image: PicMonkeyCollage_zpsc1d9cd5f.jpg]
1911diesel
09-20-2013, 02:43 PM #2

i dont know if you can get to the tank the same way on the w115 as the w126, but i just pulled the rear seat out of the womans and on the top of the tank there is a port, the sending unit filter and all that come out i cleaned the filter and rods that the sending unit slides on and repaired a connection and it works. sounds like if you have more then one gauge working it may be in the cluster. or more then one sensor not working. with out playing with a volt meter i couldnt tell you for sure. but thats how i would start, volt meter and trace down the not working sensors, check for bad connections, or broke wires. then if that doesnt work check gauge cluster. i dont know what to tell ya about a rad, benzboys in MI says they pull n ship. gotta be cheaper then new... but then again PP is pretty good on OEM parts. thats who i order all my stuff thru. good luck post some results! and pics!

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

09-20-2013, 03:15 PM #3
Yeah I talked to Benz boys once. Craig's list right? The w123 sending unit is easy to get at but you are probably right about the seat. Who knows new toy. Plenty of kinks. Did get her Home and happy to say i just ran out of fuel. It was 2 year old fuel anyways. Happy to be rid of it.

lgreeley83
09-20-2013, 03:15 PM #3

Yeah I talked to Benz boys once. Craig's list right? The w123 sending unit is easy to get at but you are probably right about the seat. Who knows new toy. Plenty of kinks. Did get her Home and happy to say i just ran out of fuel. It was 2 year old fuel anyways. Happy to be rid of it.

1911diesel
GT2256V

09-20-2013, 04:05 PM #4
lol i think i ran all the 4 year old fuel out of my 78. still needs new filters, but im working on nozzles, shims and elements first. then ill line the brunhilde out. and craigslist is where i found them, i called once or twice inquiring about parts and they seemed pretty helpful and willing to work with ya. havent bought anything from them yet. i think this is where ill get my 4 speed swap stuff. every 240d with one that i find for sale, if i were to buy it im not sure i could bring myself to rip the tranny from a car if i can get it running...lol i was gonna pull the m pump and rear end from the white 78 but it runs to smooth, just needs a little love. post some pics of ye ol bucket. i wanna see! good luck keepin her on the road!

hey BTW i like your sig, but i was told by an old technician once that anyone who turns wrenches on cars/trucks is a mechanic. a mechanic replaces parts until the problem is solved. a technician breaks every thing down until he/she finds the right problem corrects the problem and reassembles to spec. so if that were the truth you my friend ARE a mechanic, not a wannabe. chin up keep em on the road.
This post was last modified: 09-20-2013, 04:16 PM by 1911diesel.

1911diesel
09-20-2013, 04:05 PM #4

lol i think i ran all the 4 year old fuel out of my 78. still needs new filters, but im working on nozzles, shims and elements first. then ill line the brunhilde out. and craigslist is where i found them, i called once or twice inquiring about parts and they seemed pretty helpful and willing to work with ya. havent bought anything from them yet. i think this is where ill get my 4 speed swap stuff. every 240d with one that i find for sale, if i were to buy it im not sure i could bring myself to rip the tranny from a car if i can get it running...lol i was gonna pull the m pump and rear end from the white 78 but it runs to smooth, just needs a little love. post some pics of ye ol bucket. i wanna see! good luck keepin her on the road!

hey BTW i like your sig, but i was told by an old technician once that anyone who turns wrenches on cars/trucks is a mechanic. a mechanic replaces parts until the problem is solved. a technician breaks every thing down until he/she finds the right problem corrects the problem and reassembles to spec. so if that were the truth you my friend ARE a mechanic, not a wannabe. chin up keep em on the road.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

09-20-2013, 11:29 PM #5

Lol 1911 i wrench better than the mechanic that works on my car from time to time. I feel like i need to explain things to make sure it gets done right....one of the main reasons I work on my own car 95% of the time.

I got some pics here they ares. A few rust spots. floor is weak in some points. Deterred me at first but price dropped and I decided to keep this car alive. Been in storage for about 2 years i think. A hole near the firewall. Drives good, idles good, newish tires and battery. This is my back up car. If my wife or my car break we are screwed. I figure a cheap backup is due. Not beating on this like my other ride.

Maybe someday throw the turbo motor in it.
Is the only issue the oil filter housing? Motor mounts look a little close to the manifolds. Of course I am just thinking out loud and will be doing some browsing.

Took it for a little cruise tonight and realized no lights in gauges. No radio. No temp gauge, no fuel gauge. Hopefully just a fuse or something.

lgreeley83
09-20-2013, 11:29 PM #5

Lol 1911 i wrench better than the mechanic that works on my car from time to time. I feel like i need to explain things to make sure it gets done right....one of the main reasons I work on my own car 95% of the time.

I got some pics here they ares. A few rust spots. floor is weak in some points. Deterred me at first but price dropped and I decided to keep this car alive. Been in storage for about 2 years i think. A hole near the firewall. Drives good, idles good, newish tires and battery. This is my back up car. If my wife or my car break we are screwed. I figure a cheap backup is due. Not beating on this like my other ride.

Maybe someday throw the turbo motor in it.
Is the only issue the oil filter housing? Motor mounts look a little close to the manifolds. Of course I am just thinking out loud and will be doing some browsing.

Took it for a little cruise tonight and realized no lights in gauges. No radio. No temp gauge, no fuel gauge. Hopefully just a fuse or something.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

09-21-2013, 12:09 AM #6
Love that body style man, looks good!

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
09-21-2013, 12:09 AM #6

Love that body style man, looks good!

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin

1911diesel
GT2256V

09-21-2013, 04:46 AM #7
+1 for love of that body style, i still kick myself for getting rid of the 240 4 spd we had because it was the very first mercedes diesel we had i didnt know jack about them and it was a mess... but on the plus side, if you do need a spare gauge cluster, i have one i would let go cheap. i have no use for it anymore...lol oh and i know the need for the back up. if you read my sig we have plenty of cars and a truck. because of that very reason. all my friends and family stopped giving me such a rash of $h*t about buying so many cars when i let them borrow one when theirs breaks down... and as for working on all your own stuff, at least there is no one to blame for anything that goes wrong but yourself. then next time maybe you will do it right... at least thats the way it has worked for me...lol anymore i stop when i get frustrated, do some more research, and try to do it right the first time, im tired of fixing my own mistakes... but maybe that just comes with age...lol like im old or something...

1911diesel
09-21-2013, 04:46 AM #7

+1 for love of that body style, i still kick myself for getting rid of the 240 4 spd we had because it was the very first mercedes diesel we had i didnt know jack about them and it was a mess... but on the plus side, if you do need a spare gauge cluster, i have one i would let go cheap. i have no use for it anymore...lol oh and i know the need for the back up. if you read my sig we have plenty of cars and a truck. because of that very reason. all my friends and family stopped giving me such a rash of $h*t about buying so many cars when i let them borrow one when theirs breaks down... and as for working on all your own stuff, at least there is no one to blame for anything that goes wrong but yourself. then next time maybe you will do it right... at least thats the way it has worked for me...lol anymore i stop when i get frustrated, do some more research, and try to do it right the first time, im tired of fixing my own mistakes... but maybe that just comes with age...lol like im old or something...

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

09-21-2013, 02:49 PM #8
Hey uhhhh.... I looked around maybe its simple like the w123. Does the cluster just pull out?

There is power going to the temp unit on thermostat housing. When I put that to ground though I've read that the gauge should spike. I'd didnt.

Anyhow does the cluster just pull out?

lgreeley83
09-21-2013, 02:49 PM #8

Hey uhhhh.... I looked around maybe its simple like the w123. Does the cluster just pull out?

There is power going to the temp unit on thermostat housing. When I put that to ground though I've read that the gauge should spike. I'd didnt.

Anyhow does the cluster just pull out?

1911diesel
GT2256V

09-21-2013, 03:07 PM #9
honestly, i dont know, ill post some pics of it out front and back if you think it will help with your situation... i bought it used since there was a dash fire on the one we had. i got it running and driving i was just afraid of re wiring the whole car. so the cluster never went in and i sold the car.

1911diesel
09-21-2013, 03:07 PM #9

honestly, i dont know, ill post some pics of it out front and back if you think it will help with your situation... i bought it used since there was a dash fire on the one we had. i got it running and driving i was just afraid of re wiring the whole car. so the cluster never went in and i sold the car.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

09-21-2013, 04:18 PM #10
Don't worry about pics I've seen quite a few while googling. Everybody posts threads about fixing the rheostat but everybody forget to mention how they pull the cluster. I'll tinker and post the findings.

lgreeley83
09-21-2013, 04:18 PM #10

Don't worry about pics I've seen quite a few while googling. Everybody posts threads about fixing the rheostat but everybody forget to mention how they pull the cluster. I'll tinker and post the findings.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

09-21-2013, 09:32 PM #11
Yeah it just pulls out... Rheostat has already been bridged. Gotta be a ground somewhere. Damn gremlins.

No temp gauge really screws me up yo.
This post was last modified: 09-21-2013, 09:33 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
09-21-2013, 09:32 PM #11

Yeah it just pulls out... Rheostat has already been bridged. Gotta be a ground somewhere. Damn gremlins.

No temp gauge really screws me up yo.

EmJay
Holset

09-22-2013, 12:55 AM #12
I don't know about the others, but I like the look of the older gauge clusters better than the newer ones. Guess I'm a heretic.
EmJay
09-22-2013, 12:55 AM #12

I don't know about the others, but I like the look of the older gauge clusters better than the newer ones. Guess I'm a heretic.

JB3
Superturbo

09-22-2013, 08:13 AM #13
Awesome. Love 115s, welcome to the club of 115 ownership!

1974 240D 617 turbo swap, W201 5-speed, in the works project
1983 240D 616 stock, DD
1989 Chevy Astro, 617 turbo swap, T5 5-speed, 4.56 diff, work van

JB3
09-22-2013, 08:13 AM #13

Awesome. Love 115s, welcome to the club of 115 ownership!

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

09-22-2013, 01:44 PM #14
I always assume the worst... I replaced every fuse and I'm all good. Accept for the fuel gauge but this will be the 3rd Merc I own where the stupid sending unit is corroded so not surprised there.

I'm thinking my leek may be an old hose. We'll see. Starting to feel lucky but that will turn to despair soon enough I'm sure.

lgreeley83
09-22-2013, 01:44 PM #14

I always assume the worst... I replaced every fuse and I'm all good. Accept for the fuel gauge but this will be the 3rd Merc I own where the stupid sending unit is corroded so not surprised there.

I'm thinking my leek may be an old hose. We'll see. Starting to feel lucky but that will turn to despair soon enough I'm sure.

JB3
Superturbo

09-22-2013, 02:50 PM #15
That's kinda an awesome color, like a pastel dark green. What's the paint code?

I'm pulling for luck on the radiator. My radiator was completely rotted out but still didn't leak. Was missing at least half of the vanes though, just leaving the top to bottom coolant passages. Weird looking.

If it does turn out to be the radiator though, you might also fix it with solder, just like factory

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
09-22-2013, 02:50 PM #15

That's kinda an awesome color, like a pastel dark green. What's the paint code?

I'm pulling for luck on the radiator. My radiator was completely rotted out but still didn't leak. Was missing at least half of the vanes though, just leaving the top to bottom coolant passages. Weird looking.

If it does turn out to be the radiator though, you might also fix it with solder, just like factory

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

09-22-2013, 04:58 PM #16
I dunno I'd like to know. I'll pull some numbers. I'd sorta like to keep the color. I do have some body holes to fill. Matching might be a pain due to the oxidation. Maybe a good buff could fix that.

Woot! Fresh fuel and a few days the fuel float is loose. Gauge works and no meet to take it apart.
This post was last modified: 09-22-2013, 05:46 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
09-22-2013, 04:58 PM #16

I dunno I'd like to know. I'll pull some numbers. I'd sorta like to keep the color. I do have some body holes to fill. Matching might be a pain due to the oxidation. Maybe a good buff could fix that.

Woot! Fresh fuel and a few days the fuel float is loose. Gauge works and no meet to take it apart.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

09-22-2013, 08:17 PM #17
Backup cars are a MUST. I'd hit all the basics right quick and then leave it alone-thermostat, chain tensioner, check the water pump, check oil cooler hoses, flex discs etc. Anything that can pop and leave you stranded.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
09-22-2013, 08:17 PM #17

Backup cars are a MUST. I'd hit all the basics right quick and then leave it alone-thermostat, chain tensioner, check the water pump, check oil cooler hoses, flex discs etc. Anything that can pop and leave you stranded.

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

09-22-2013, 08:32 PM #18
(09-22-2013, 08:17 PM)Simpler=Better Backup cars are a MUST. I'd hit all the basics right quick and then leave it alone-thermostat, chain tensioner, check the water pump, check oil cooler hoses, flex discs etc. Anything that can pop and leave you stranded.

Tis the goal :-) oil, hoses, valves I gotta do. Other fluids look pretty good. Block is dry. Gotta check them flex disks but with this ultra weakness I don't think I'll be breaking anything soon. Spent some extra time driving around today and temp holds solid at 175+- a couple.

I think the trans flares a little but I don't actually know what that means.... When floored 2-3 takes a while to get to gear. Is that flaring? Btw flooring = 0-60 in like 3.5 years.

(09-22-2013, 08:17 PM)Simpler=Better Backup cars are a MUST. I'd hit all the basics right quick and then leave it alone-thermostat, chain tensioner, check the water pump, check oil cooler hoses, flex discs etc. Anything that can pop and leave you stranded.

Tis the goal :-) oil, hoses, valves I gotta do. Other fluids look pretty good. Block is dry. Gotta check them flex disks but with this ultra weakness I don't think I'll be breaking anything soon. Spent some extra time driving around today and temp holds solid at 175+- a couple.
This post was last modified: 09-22-2013, 08:36 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
09-22-2013, 08:32 PM #18

I think the trans flares a little but I don't actually know what that means.... When floored 2-3 takes a while to get to gear. Is that flaring? Btw flooring = 0-60 in like 3.5 years.

1911diesel
GT2256V

09-22-2013, 08:40 PM #19
glad to hear its coming together so well. keep those wrenches and wheels turning.

1911diesel
09-22-2013, 08:40 PM #19

glad to hear its coming together so well. keep those wrenches and wheels turning.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

09-23-2013, 10:25 AM #20
http://mercedes.thatchermathias.com/

are there any links like that for the older stuff? I don't even know how to do an oil change on this turd which needs to be done. im rocking the 617.910 right?

lgreeley83
09-23-2013, 10:25 AM #20

http://mercedes.thatchermathias.com/

are there any links like that for the older stuff? I don't even know how to do an oil change on this turd which needs to be done. im rocking the 617.910 right?

JB3
Superturbo

09-23-2013, 02:01 PM #21
(09-23-2013, 10:25 AM)lgreeley83 http://mercedes.thatchermathias.com/

Resign yourself to mess th first oil change. Oil change is a canister underneath. Whole thig is held on with a long bolt, and there is a separate filter screen before or after the filter element. The screen goes back in with the new element. I got very oily. Been a while so om foggy about what created the biggest mess, but all said and done I had a huge spill.

Do the whole removal and disassembly above a catch can. From what I recall the cap has a lot of trapped oil that you think is drained until you turn it a different way

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
09-23-2013, 02:01 PM #21

(09-23-2013, 10:25 AM)lgreeley83 http://mercedes.thatchermathias.com/

Resign yourself to mess th first oil change. Oil change is a canister underneath. Whole thig is held on with a long bolt, and there is a separate filter screen before or after the filter element. The screen goes back in with the new element. I got very oily. Been a while so om foggy about what created the biggest mess, but all said and done I had a huge spill.

Do the whole removal and disassembly above a catch can. From what I recall the cap has a lot of trapped oil that you think is drained until you turn it a different way

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

09-25-2013, 01:39 PM #22
Good luck finding oil cooler hoses, I don't think they're available for w115's anymore, or at least I've had no luck finding them for mine. Gonna get some -10AN fittings brazed onto the hose ends of the metal sections of mine I think.

Other than that, w115's are awesome!!!

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
09-25-2013, 01:39 PM #22

Good luck finding oil cooler hoses, I don't think they're available for w115's anymore, or at least I've had no luck finding them for mine. Gonna get some -10AN fittings brazed onto the hose ends of the metal sections of mine I think.

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

09-26-2013, 12:17 PM #23
(09-25-2013, 01:39 PM)sassparilla_kid Good luck finding oil cooler hoses, I don't think they're available for w115's anymore, or at least I've had no luck finding them for mine. Gonna get some -10AN fittings brazed onto the hose ends of the metal sections of mine I think.

Lol nobody has lower radiator hoses.

lgreeley83
09-26-2013, 12:17 PM #23

(09-25-2013, 01:39 PM)sassparilla_kid Good luck finding oil cooler hoses, I don't think they're available for w115's anymore, or at least I've had no luck finding them for mine. Gonna get some -10AN fittings brazed onto the hose ends of the metal sections of mine I think.

Lol nobody has lower radiator hoses.

DeliveryValve
Superturbo

09-26-2013, 12:28 PM #24
(09-26-2013, 12:17 PM)lgreeley83 Lol nobody has lower radiator hoses.

They've been all obsoleted by the parts houses. Looks like a flex hose is in order.

Dig the car BTW and don't replace your Becker Europa!

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

DeliveryValve
09-26-2013, 12:28 PM #24

They've been all obsoleted by the parts houses. Looks like a flex hose is in order.

Gota love Mercedes Diesels!

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

09-26-2013, 12:43 PM #25
(09-26-2013, 12:28 PM)DeliveryValve

They got em online I was just hoping to pick it up and do it today. They all stock the too hose though.... Is there no interchangeability?

Yeah the Becker will remain stock. Fortunately it works as of now.

Stock *top* hose
This post was last modified: 09-26-2013, 12:44 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
09-26-2013, 12:43 PM #25

(09-26-2013, 12:28 PM)DeliveryValve

They got em online I was just hoping to pick it up and do it today. They all stock the too hose though.... Is there no interchangeability?

Yeah the Becker will remain stock. Fortunately it works as of now.

Stock *top* hose

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

09-26-2013, 02:44 PM #26
Oh you lucky bastard! I wish mine had the original Becker, but somebody replaced it with a super crappy Sony cassette deck that doesn't even fit in the slot

sassparilla_kid
09-26-2013, 02:44 PM #26

Oh you lucky bastard! I wish mine had the original Becker, but somebody replaced it with a super crappy Sony cassette deck that doesn't even fit in the slot

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

09-26-2013, 03:18 PM #27
Every parts store I've been in has let me behind the counter to play with radiator hoses. That's how I get all my hackjobs to work Smile

Simpler=Better
09-26-2013, 03:18 PM #27

Every parts store I've been in has let me behind the counter to play with radiator hoses. That's how I get all my hackjobs to work Smile

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

09-26-2013, 08:14 PM #28
Big drama this week. We are coming up for renewal of the lease next month and the landlord saw the car and told me to get out...wife and two kids....FML.. I smoothed it over. Think I'm good. But I can't have the extra car parked here so renting locally for now.

This is a private owner of many buildings in a complex. I've never had crazy landlord like this. Husband and wife duo pushing the 80's. This guy was waiting for me no joke. And got out of his car screaming. I've had extra cars before and it wasn't a huge deal. For the sake of family stability I'm kissing ass at this point.

Moral of story. Bring your ass to an apartment rating website and read before you move in.

Anywho....I didn't get a new hose yet but tightened the clamp some more and no leaks. So I will be driving the car a bit more while waiting for a new hose in the mail. Oil change tomorrow.

The glow plug light stopped coming on so I assume the fuse/breaker whatever killed itself. Maybe bulb.

My radio works but everything I do electronically... Turn signal, brake, shut off, comes through speakers. What kind of grounding issue is that ya think?

lgreeley83
09-26-2013, 08:14 PM #28

Big drama this week. We are coming up for renewal of the lease next month and the landlord saw the car and told me to get out...wife and two kids....FML.. I smoothed it over. Think I'm good. But I can't have the extra car parked here so renting locally for now.

This is a private owner of many buildings in a complex. I've never had crazy landlord like this. Husband and wife duo pushing the 80's. This guy was waiting for me no joke. And got out of his car screaming. I've had extra cars before and it wasn't a huge deal. For the sake of family stability I'm kissing ass at this point.

Moral of story. Bring your ass to an apartment rating website and read before you move in.

Anywho....I didn't get a new hose yet but tightened the clamp some more and no leaks. So I will be driving the car a bit more while waiting for a new hose in the mail. Oil change tomorrow.

The glow plug light stopped coming on so I assume the fuse/breaker whatever killed itself. Maybe bulb.

My radio works but everything I do electronically... Turn signal, brake, shut off, comes through speakers. What kind of grounding issue is that ya think?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

09-26-2013, 08:54 PM #29
(09-26-2013, 08:14 PM)lgreeley83 Big drama this week. We are coming up for renewal of the lease next month and the landlord saw the car and told me to get out...wife and two kids....FML.. I smoothed it over. Think I'm good. But I can't have the extra car parked here so renting locally for now.

Can you leave the car at school or work? At my old school they would let you get a 'let it sit' parking pass for project cars-such as oh say a w115 that is being convert to ru non vegetable oil.

Here let me write up your independant study for you:

"researching the potential gains for converting a vehicle to operate on waste oils, with teh goal of writing a paper and presenting on teh subject at an alternative fuels conference"

or

"retrofitting ethanol injection systems to diesel engine to study the effects on emissions and fuel economy, with the goal of writing a paper/presenting, etc."

Make your goal to write a paper with the goal of presenting somewhere. that way, if it goes tits up you can still write up and present, telling where you went wrong. DO NOT set your goal to get results, that's an easy F

also, apartments SUCK. get on CL, find a local semi-rural guy selling car or truck parts. he will probably have space to park a project car on the cheap.
This post was last modified: 09-26-2013, 08:56 PM by Simpler=Better.

Simpler=Better
09-26-2013, 08:54 PM #29

(09-26-2013, 08:14 PM)lgreeley83 Big drama this week. We are coming up for renewal of the lease next month and the landlord saw the car and told me to get out...wife and two kids....FML.. I smoothed it over. Think I'm good. But I can't have the extra car parked here so renting locally for now.

Can you leave the car at school or work? At my old school they would let you get a 'let it sit' parking pass for project cars-such as oh say a w115 that is being convert to ru non vegetable oil.

Here let me write up your independant study for you:

"researching the potential gains for converting a vehicle to operate on waste oils, with teh goal of writing a paper and presenting on teh subject at an alternative fuels conference"

or

"retrofitting ethanol injection systems to diesel engine to study the effects on emissions and fuel economy, with the goal of writing a paper/presenting, etc."

Make your goal to write a paper with the goal of presenting somewhere. that way, if it goes tits up you can still write up and present, telling where you went wrong. DO NOT set your goal to get results, that's an easy F

also, apartments SUCK. get on CL, find a local semi-rural guy selling car or truck parts. he will probably have space to park a project car on the cheap.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

09-26-2013, 08:55 PM #30
Haven't gotten on the highway yet but I want to do Italian tune up on it before adjusting valves.

Does the car go fast enough to do that? Lol...this thing is sooooo sloooww. All I think of is a quote I read on here some time ago about the pedal being an on off switch. Automatic sucks the big one.

But the ride does charm me. Power steering is so nice to have again. I don't know if I would do the manual gearbox again. Rides like a cloud. No 3+ inch exhaust drowning out every other noise. Its slow and I'm fine with that right now.

I'll

(09-26-2013, 08:54 PM)Simpler=Better goal of writing a paper and presenting on teh subject at an Make your goal to write a paper with the goal of presenting somewhere. that way, if it goes tits up you can still write up and present, telling where you went wrong. DO NOT set your goal to get results, that's an easy F

I laugh right now to that. I am currently senior studying microbial ecology. Heavy. We had to peer review freshman papers today and everybody was laughing like crazy. The direction some were trying to take there study..lol.

This paper had as first sentence, 20% of pregnant Iranian woman maintain colonies of X bacteria between the rectal and vaginal areas of their body. Other maintain this in their brain....

I'd go crazy on some bio research with a car but none of the professors have us remotely close to those topics right now. Already asked the school about overnight parking and they said no but you bring a valid point.

I'm curious about the whole algae biodiesel thing. Maybe select for the fastest algae for mass production. Or getting titrations down perfectly. I will get into all that someday once I'm finished jumping through university hoops.

Currently researching non target effects of glyphosate on rhizobacteria isolated in a single species inoculation of standard potting soil and some petri dish work to supplement.

Blah blah global warming blah, nitrogen fixation, fossil fuel combustion blah blah earth going to die. Blah blah

Hmmm... Under hood temp fuel tank for studies would be too easy. I need to engineer some freaking fuel and test it.
This post was last modified: 09-26-2013, 09:32 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
09-26-2013, 08:55 PM #30

Haven't gotten on the highway yet but I want to do Italian tune up on it before adjusting valves.

Does the car go fast enough to do that? Lol...this thing is sooooo sloooww. All I think of is a quote I read on here some time ago about the pedal being an on off switch. Automatic sucks the big one.

But the ride does charm me. Power steering is so nice to have again. I don't know if I would do the manual gearbox again. Rides like a cloud. No 3+ inch exhaust drowning out every other noise. Its slow and I'm fine with that right now.

I'll

(09-26-2013, 08:54 PM)Simpler=Better goal of writing a paper and presenting on teh subject at an Make your goal to write a paper with the goal of presenting somewhere. that way, if it goes tits up you can still write up and present, telling where you went wrong. DO NOT set your goal to get results, that's an easy F

I laugh right now to that. I am currently senior studying microbial ecology. Heavy. We had to peer review freshman papers today and everybody was laughing like crazy. The direction some were trying to take there study..lol.

This paper had as first sentence, 20% of pregnant Iranian woman maintain colonies of X bacteria between the rectal and vaginal areas of their body. Other maintain this in their brain....

I'd go crazy on some bio research with a car but none of the professors have us remotely close to those topics right now. Already asked the school about overnight parking and they said no but you bring a valid point.

I'm curious about the whole algae biodiesel thing. Maybe select for the fastest algae for mass production. Or getting titrations down perfectly. I will get into all that someday once I'm finished jumping through university hoops.

Currently researching non target effects of glyphosate on rhizobacteria isolated in a single species inoculation of standard potting soil and some petri dish work to supplement.

Blah blah global warming blah, nitrogen fixation, fossil fuel combustion blah blah earth going to die. Blah blah

Hmmm... Under hood temp fuel tank for studies would be too easy. I need to engineer some freaking fuel and test it.

JB3
Superturbo

09-26-2013, 10:10 PM #31
That landlord seems a bit off.
Acting as a cheapskate slumlord for work, i am pretty tolerant with good tenants, I will go a long way in making allowances for someone who pays their rent on time and in full, especially a guy with a family. Those are the tenants you want. You are not likely to burn sept rent on hookers and blow.

I'm impressed you got a screaming old man under control, but he seems a bit excitable over minor stuff.

The last place I rented from someone, I got really tired of having to tell the 80 year old lndlord who I was about 30 times, and what property I rented from him. Funny how as you age, you go from wanting to never see a landlord, to getting pissed that he/she isn't around periodically to keep things up nicely

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
09-26-2013, 10:10 PM #31

That landlord seems a bit off.
Acting as a cheapskate slumlord for work, i am pretty tolerant with good tenants, I will go a long way in making allowances for someone who pays their rent on time and in full, especially a guy with a family. Those are the tenants you want. You are not likely to burn sept rent on hookers and blow.

I'm impressed you got a screaming old man under control, but he seems a bit excitable over minor stuff.

The last place I rented from someone, I got really tired of having to tell the 80 year old lndlord who I was about 30 times, and what property I rented from him. Funny how as you age, you go from wanting to never see a landlord, to getting pissed that he/she isn't around periodically to keep things up nicely

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

09-27-2013, 07:10 AM #32
(09-26-2013, 08:55 PM)lgreeley83 Haven't gotten on the highway yet but I want to do Italian tune up on it before adjusting valves.

I'll

I went to school for packaging engineering-my ind. studies were under one of the mech. professors. Just find a mechanical eng. professor(or environmental studies? or chemistry? stretch i there dude), and setup a 2 semester ind study with him/her. They will be excited a student actually gives a damn about more than grades.

Simpler=Better
09-27-2013, 07:10 AM #32

(09-26-2013, 08:55 PM)lgreeley83 Haven't gotten on the highway yet but I want to do Italian tune up on it before adjusting valves.

I'll

I went to school for packaging engineering-my ind. studies were under one of the mech. professors. Just find a mechanical eng. professor(or environmental studies? or chemistry? stretch i there dude), and setup a 2 semester ind study with him/her. They will be excited a student actually gives a damn about more than grades.

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

09-28-2013, 06:50 PM #33
Thinking about the body...keep it dark green or go with the doc Hudson look, blue red rims.
http://www.pixarcars.tv/html/cars-doc-01.html
I love the first car movie. 2 not as much.

lgreeley83
09-28-2013, 06:50 PM #33

Thinking about the body...keep it dark green or go with the doc Hudson look, blue red rims.
http://www.pixarcars.tv/html/cars-doc-01.html
I love the first car movie. 2 not as much.

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

10-02-2013, 09:51 AM #34
All I can say is that you will probably be cursing in as many languages as you can speak in the first time you change the oil in this car

sassparilla_kid
10-02-2013, 09:51 AM #34

All I can say is that you will probably be cursing in as many languages as you can speak in the first time you change the oil in this car

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

10-02-2013, 09:54 AM #35
Yeah just to get an idea for the first time I do it, I took it to a shop and they let me watch. I have a skid plate under there. You too?

Anyhow yeah its messy oil dripping everywhere.

lgreeley83
10-02-2013, 09:54 AM #35

Yeah just to get an idea for the first time I do it, I took it to a shop and they let me watch. I have a skid plate under there. You too?

Anyhow yeah its messy oil dripping everywhere.

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

10-02-2013, 10:06 AM #36
No skid plate on mine, and that upside down filter is stupid

sassparilla_kid
10-02-2013, 10:06 AM #36

No skid plate on mine, and that upside down filter is stupid

JB3
Superturbo

10-06-2013, 06:31 AM #37
Pics of the skid plate? Sounds interesting!

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
10-06-2013, 06:31 AM #37

Pics of the skid plate? Sounds interesting!

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

10-06-2013, 08:49 AM #38
(10-06-2013, 06:31 AM)JB3 Pics of the skid plate? Sounds interesting!

Car is parked a few miles away. Gonna give it a drive tomorrow and I take a pic.

lgreeley83
10-06-2013, 08:49 AM #38

Car is parked a few miles away. Gonna give it a drive tomorrow and I take a pic.

NGARover
GTA2056V

10-06-2013, 05:47 PM #39
(10-06-2013, 08:49 AM)lgreeley83

Mines a w123 300TDT but has the full underbody protection, skid plate etc..
Attached Files
Image(s)

NGARover
10-06-2013, 05:47 PM #39

(10-06-2013, 08:49 AM)lgreeley83

Mines a w123 300TDT but has the full underbody protection, skid plate etc..

Attached Files
Image(s)

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

10-23-2013, 10:18 AM #40
Oh shoot i forgot i gotta get a pic of my skid plate......

115 owners holla at me. It's getting cold out. My heater fan works and I think all my flaps are working correctly. I have heat out of all vents when engine is going fast but when i am slow speed driving i have not heat. What gives?

ahh never mind. I got kinks to work out im sure. ill try burping it first.
This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 10:24 AM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
10-23-2013, 10:18 AM #40

Oh shoot i forgot i gotta get a pic of my skid plate......

115 owners holla at me. It's getting cold out. My heater fan works and I think all my flaps are working correctly. I have heat out of all vents when engine is going fast but when i am slow speed driving i have not heat. What gives?

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-23-2013, 10:38 AM #41
(10-23-2013, 10:18 AM)lgreeley83 Oh shoot i forgot i gotta get a pic of my skid plate......

water pump or aux pump(if it has one)
or your monovalve isn't opening

or the heater core needs to be reverse flushed
This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 10:38 AM by Simpler=Better.

Simpler=Better
10-23-2013, 10:38 AM #41

(10-23-2013, 10:18 AM)lgreeley83 Oh shoot i forgot i gotta get a pic of my skid plate......

water pump or aux pump(if it has one)
or your monovalve isn't opening

or the heater core needs to be reverse flushed

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

10-23-2013, 11:12 AM #42
Mine does the same thing with the heater, no monovalve because of all manual climate control. I suspect aux pump, or maybe it doesn't have one to begin with. hmmmm.......

sassparilla_kid
10-23-2013, 11:12 AM #42

Mine does the same thing with the heater, no monovalve because of all manual climate control. I suspect aux pump, or maybe it doesn't have one to begin with. hmmmm.......

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

10-23-2013, 11:36 AM #43
Cool so I'm not alone. I'll be popping the hood later to check on an aux pump if its there. Probably try to let it come to temp with radiator cap off too and watch my level when thermostat opens.

lgreeley83
10-23-2013, 11:36 AM #43

Cool so I'm not alone. I'll be popping the hood later to check on an aux pump if its there. Probably try to let it come to temp with radiator cap off too and watch my level when thermostat opens.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-23-2013, 11:45 AM #44
Be glad you have heat at all. My 2.3 doesn't get up to temp unless ambient is above 80*. Yes I replaced the thermostat.

Simpler=Better
10-23-2013, 11:45 AM #44

Be glad you have heat at all. My 2.3 doesn't get up to temp unless ambient is above 80*. Yes I replaced the thermostat.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

10-23-2013, 02:11 PM #45
(10-23-2013, 11:45 AM)Simpler=Better Be glad you have heat at all. My 2.3 doesn't get up to temp unless ambient is above 80*. Yes I replaced the thermostat.

Feed sack in front of the radiator works great!

MFSuper90
10-23-2013, 02:11 PM #45

(10-23-2013, 11:45 AM)Simpler=Better Be glad you have heat at all. My 2.3 doesn't get up to temp unless ambient is above 80*. Yes I replaced the thermostat.

Feed sack in front of the radiator works great!

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

10-23-2013, 04:46 PM #46
My other one has a stuck open thermostat so that one doesn't get too warm.

No aux pump that I can find. Tried to burp it but not enough incline I think.

lgreeley83
10-23-2013, 04:46 PM #46

My other one has a stuck open thermostat so that one doesn't get too warm.

No aux pump that I can find. Tried to burp it but not enough incline I think.

JB3
Superturbo

10-23-2013, 05:33 PM #47
maybe you have a kinked hose or something somewhere. I remember the heat working pretty decent in my 74 with the stock engine. That was on the highway though, so I may have had the same problem, just never encountered it

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

JB3
10-23-2013, 05:33 PM #47

maybe you have a kinked hose or something somewhere. I remember the heat working pretty decent in my 74 with the stock engine. That was on the highway though, so I may have had the same problem, just never encountered it

1983 240D 616 stock, DD

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

10-23-2013, 08:20 PM #48
I could use transmission help as well. I know the W115 transmission is mechanical the time something else must be involved. I don't know if there is vacuum control as well. Shifting is very silly in this car. From first to second, shifts are very hard unless I am flooring the pedal. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd flares out very bad when the transmission is warmed up. Its almost like I don't have a second gear. If I am light on the pedal I can get some work out of second gear but it is very sensitive. 3rd to 4th has some flaring too but not as bad.

Fluid is nice and red. I didn't do the filter and don't know if the PO did but my gut feeling is that they changed the filter.

Thanks in advance for any of your opinions.

Oh yeah and I hate these stupid automatic transmissions!
This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 08:21 PM by lgreeley83.

lgreeley83
10-23-2013, 08:20 PM #48

I could use transmission help as well. I know the W115 transmission is mechanical the time something else must be involved. I don't know if there is vacuum control as well. Shifting is very silly in this car. From first to second, shifts are very hard unless I am flooring the pedal. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd flares out very bad when the transmission is warmed up. Its almost like I don't have a second gear. If I am light on the pedal I can get some work out of second gear but it is very sensitive. 3rd to 4th has some flaring too but not as bad.

Fluid is nice and red. I didn't do the filter and don't know if the PO did but my gut feeling is that they changed the filter.

Thanks in advance for any of your opinions.

Oh yeah and I hate these stupid automatic transmissions!

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

10-23-2013, 11:43 PM #49
Get a standard trans, so much nicer

sassparilla_kid
10-23-2013, 11:43 PM #49

Get a standard trans, so much nicer

lgreeley83
Mr. Rumbles

01-02-2014, 04:17 PM #50
Though id say hi all. Been a while. Last semester was a success. I never worked that hard in some classes but microbiology is a pain anyway you go about it i guess. Graduate in May and hopefully get that awesome job that lets me put some stupid money into these cars.

Haven't done too much lately. The heat in this here 75 was a no go unless i was at speed. I finally dedicated 10 minutes to it and realized to AC fan was blowing but not the heater fan. The w115 had to different fans...at least the AC equipped ones like mine. Anywho i fiddled with the switches and fuses and got some serious heat going. Replaced the thermostats in this and the 85. This car was probably a 5 minute thermostat.

Happy new year all, to my fellow northerners i hope you are enjoying the snow!

lgreeley83
01-02-2014, 04:17 PM #50

Though id say hi all. Been a while. Last semester was a success. I never worked that hard in some classes but microbiology is a pain anyway you go about it i guess. Graduate in May and hopefully get that awesome job that lets me put some stupid money into these cars.

Haven't done too much lately. The heat in this here 75 was a no go unless i was at speed. I finally dedicated 10 minutes to it and realized to AC fan was blowing but not the heater fan. The w115 had to different fans...at least the AC equipped ones like mine. Anywho i fiddled with the switches and fuses and got some serious heat going. Replaced the thermostats in this and the 85. This car was probably a 5 minute thermostat.

Happy new year all, to my fellow northerners i hope you are enjoying the snow!

Pages (2): 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average