STD Tuning Engine Wastegate restrictor pill

Wastegate restrictor pill

Wastegate restrictor pill

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Angelo225544
Naturally-aspirated

12-13-2013, 08:38 PM #1
I finally got around to trying an experiment I've been thinking of doing for years. I have a 1982 300D Turbo with 279,000 miles on it. I prefer low rpm torque to higher rpm horsepower, so after going as far as I could with ALDA adjustments, I recently inserted a 3mm restrictor pill in the wastegate hose. I don't have a boost gauge or egt gauge, so I started very conservatively, and was quite impressed. My research suggested a minimum safe orifice size of about 1.5mm, so I tried that, and got another similar improvement - the turbo spools significantly sooner, but by about 2400 rpm performs just as before, so it feels like a broader flatter torque curve. I believe this is a relatively safe approach, since I am only changing turbo spool up, but not maximum sustained boost. Has anyone else tried anything similar?
Angelo225544
12-13-2013, 08:38 PM #1

I finally got around to trying an experiment I've been thinking of doing for years. I have a 1982 300D Turbo with 279,000 miles on it. I prefer low rpm torque to higher rpm horsepower, so after going as far as I could with ALDA adjustments, I recently inserted a 3mm restrictor pill in the wastegate hose. I don't have a boost gauge or egt gauge, so I started very conservatively, and was quite impressed. My research suggested a minimum safe orifice size of about 1.5mm, so I tried that, and got another similar improvement - the turbo spools significantly sooner, but by about 2400 rpm performs just as before, so it feels like a broader flatter torque curve. I believe this is a relatively safe approach, since I am only changing turbo spool up, but not maximum sustained boost. Has anyone else tried anything similar?

cho
GT2559V

12-16-2013, 05:27 AM #2

hmmm,,,,interesting....any pics?

just a pill without MBC is kinda dangerous?
This post was last modified: 12-16-2013, 05:47 AM by cho.

500SEC euro gen II powered by OM617a stolen from 84 300SD .... with 280se transmission now Smile
----------------------------------------------------------
cho
12-16-2013, 05:27 AM #2

500SEC euro gen II powered by OM617a stolen from 84 300SD .... with 280se transmission now Smile
----------------------------------------------------------

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

12-16-2013, 09:00 AM #3
It sounds like an interesting idea-kind of like the vacuum restrictors. You can slap a boost gauge together for ~$10 (see newbie thread in my sig) That would tell you exactly what it's doing.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
12-16-2013, 09:00 AM #3

It sounds like an interesting idea-kind of like the vacuum restrictors. You can slap a boost gauge together for ~$10 (see newbie thread in my sig) That would tell you exactly what it's doing.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

Angelo225544
Naturally-aspirated

12-16-2013, 06:03 PM #4
(12-16-2013, 05:27 AM)cho .

In theory, with a properly sized aperture, maximum boost is unchanged - any boost spikes will occur very briefly, and at relatively low rpm. I should also mention that I'm not a heavy footed driver, so I only wish to improve off-idle throttle response. I will be installing a boost gauge, as I agree it would be irresponsible not to. I deleted my A/C years ago, so a VDO boost gauge will fit nicely in one of the dash vents.

(12-16-2013, 09:00 AM)Simpler=Better It sounds like an interesting idea-kind of like the vacuum restrictors. You can slap a boost gauge together for ~$10 (see newbie thread in my sig) That would tell you exactly what it's doing.

Thanks. I will be looking that up. I agree that a boost gauge will be essential since I plan on keeping the pill in place.
This post was last modified: 12-16-2013, 06:05 PM by Angelo225544.
Angelo225544
12-16-2013, 06:03 PM #4

(12-16-2013, 05:27 AM)cho .

In theory, with a properly sized aperture, maximum boost is unchanged - any boost spikes will occur very briefly, and at relatively low rpm. I should also mention that I'm not a heavy footed driver, so I only wish to improve off-idle throttle response. I will be installing a boost gauge, as I agree it would be irresponsible not to. I deleted my A/C years ago, so a VDO boost gauge will fit nicely in one of the dash vents.

(12-16-2013, 09:00 AM)Simpler=Better It sounds like an interesting idea-kind of like the vacuum restrictors. You can slap a boost gauge together for ~$10 (see newbie thread in my sig) That would tell you exactly what it's doing.

Thanks. I will be looking that up. I agree that a boost gauge will be essential since I plan on keeping the pill in place.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average