STD Tuning Engine Confused

Confused

Confused

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

smoked~black16v
Naturally-aspirated

01-29-2014, 10:04 AM #1
Ok at the moment with my 87 190TD (om-602??) I have come to the conclusion that I have a bad head gasket. I was reading around and found a thread where someone stated the exact symptoms im having and his was a head gasket. symptoms include: Shitting oil out the front and rear mains when parked after driving, cold(25-100*) start in the morning fires right up after drive for a while takes a crank or 5. So I believe I have a bad HG and the compression is what is pushing the oil out of the main seals. I have had the car parked since september now and there is maybe a 5in diameter spot under the engine before for that when I used it as a DD it would do that in 1 night.

Next I'm wondering about IP, I will be converting my car to a 5 speed and want to ramp the pump up to what its max out put is and put on a better turbo (hx30/35 if it can spool it for DDing). Now I am a diesel mechanic and I have worked with bigger motors. Ive owned a 12V cummins with the p7100 and currently drive a 06 CR with twins(550hp +/-) and I need to get my fuel saver up and running again. < i mention that because a nice way to get better pick up speed is to advance the timing a few degrees (where i live 17.5 is about the max if you dont want it plugged in every night under 25 degrees to get it started) Is this something that can be done with these engines safely along with is it relatively the same as the larger motors?? on the sticky thread showing how to turn the pump up... which pump is mine and where the heck is the aldaHuhHuh. lastly Ive noticed that injector parts are not easy to come by so I was wondering if having my nozzles honed out would be a bad idea or if it is even possible??

So basically Im looking for a little more air more fuel for that air and I will be putting a little intercooler on there while im at it. Maybe just make a meth injection kit for it that comes on for hwy boost idk yet. With said mods preformed what am I looking at for MPGs. I know these little motors turned up over stock have to get better the 40MPGs with a 2.3L 5speed behind them

Would a turbo like this work well?? or might it be a bit laggy
Intake :4 inch
Outlet: 2.5 inch
Compressor trim: 70 ar
Compressor Wheel diameter: 59.00 / 73.05
Turbine wheel diameter : 47.05 / 54.50
Exhaust trim: .86ar
Turbine flange type: t25 flange
Downpipe flange type : 2.5 v band
Cooling type: oil and water cool
Horsepower rating: 500hp
This post was last modified: 01-29-2014, 10:18 AM by smoked~black16v.
smoked~black16v
01-29-2014, 10:04 AM #1

Ok at the moment with my 87 190TD (om-602??) I have come to the conclusion that I have a bad head gasket. I was reading around and found a thread where someone stated the exact symptoms im having and his was a head gasket. symptoms include: Shitting oil out the front and rear mains when parked after driving, cold(25-100*) start in the morning fires right up after drive for a while takes a crank or 5. So I believe I have a bad HG and the compression is what is pushing the oil out of the main seals. I have had the car parked since september now and there is maybe a 5in diameter spot under the engine before for that when I used it as a DD it would do that in 1 night.

Next I'm wondering about IP, I will be converting my car to a 5 speed and want to ramp the pump up to what its max out put is and put on a better turbo (hx30/35 if it can spool it for DDing). Now I am a diesel mechanic and I have worked with bigger motors. Ive owned a 12V cummins with the p7100 and currently drive a 06 CR with twins(550hp +/-) and I need to get my fuel saver up and running again. < i mention that because a nice way to get better pick up speed is to advance the timing a few degrees (where i live 17.5 is about the max if you dont want it plugged in every night under 25 degrees to get it started) Is this something that can be done with these engines safely along with is it relatively the same as the larger motors?? on the sticky thread showing how to turn the pump up... which pump is mine and where the heck is the aldaHuhHuh. lastly Ive noticed that injector parts are not easy to come by so I was wondering if having my nozzles honed out would be a bad idea or if it is even possible??

So basically Im looking for a little more air more fuel for that air and I will be putting a little intercooler on there while im at it. Maybe just make a meth injection kit for it that comes on for hwy boost idk yet. With said mods preformed what am I looking at for MPGs. I know these little motors turned up over stock have to get better the 40MPGs with a 2.3L 5speed behind them

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

01-29-2014, 11:08 AM #2
Big pumps go for around $1500 (Dieselmenken or a shop in california)

People have talked about extrude honing injectors, but no one was gotten any made up to test yet

Turbo-other guys can answer that

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
01-29-2014, 11:08 AM #2

Big pumps go for around $1500 (Dieselmenken or a shop in california)

People have talked about extrude honing injectors, but no one was gotten any made up to test yet

Turbo-other guys can answer that

larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

Duncansport
Holset

01-29-2014, 12:01 PM #3
(01-29-2014, 10:04 AM)smoked~black16v Ok at the moment with my 87 190TD (om-602??) I have come to the conclusion that I have a bad head gasket. I was reading around and found a thread where someone stated the exact symptoms im having and his was a head gasket. symptoms include: Shitting oil out the front and rear mains when parked after driving, cold(25-100*) start in the morning fires right up after drive for a while takes a crank or 5. So I believe I have a bad HG and the compression is what is pushing the oil out of the main seals. I have had the car parked since september now and there is maybe a 5in diameter spot under the engine before for that when I used it as a DD it would do that in 1 night.

PM me as i have a lot of god 602.962 parts and a converted T3 manifold.

You may have a blow head gasket...but if you want to get a bunch of power you have a long road ahead of you. Engine freshen up, big pump, custom intake (i have one ), exhaust, feed pump. There really isnt any power to be gained by "turning up" the pump or changing the turbo. Do a blow by test to see if that's why it's leaking.
Duncansport
01-29-2014, 12:01 PM #3

(01-29-2014, 10:04 AM)smoked~black16v Ok at the moment with my 87 190TD (om-602??) I have come to the conclusion that I have a bad head gasket. I was reading around and found a thread where someone stated the exact symptoms im having and his was a head gasket. symptoms include: Shitting oil out the front and rear mains when parked after driving, cold(25-100*) start in the morning fires right up after drive for a while takes a crank or 5. So I believe I have a bad HG and the compression is what is pushing the oil out of the main seals. I have had the car parked since september now and there is maybe a 5in diameter spot under the engine before for that when I used it as a DD it would do that in 1 night.

PM me as i have a lot of god 602.962 parts and a converted T3 manifold.

You may have a blow head gasket...but if you want to get a bunch of power you have a long road ahead of you. Engine freshen up, big pump, custom intake (i have one ), exhaust, feed pump. There really isnt any power to be gained by "turning up" the pump or changing the turbo. Do a blow by test to see if that's why it's leaking.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

01-29-2014, 01:06 PM #4
That charger is around the same size as a hx40, except the turbine and housing are smaller. EDH, jeemu, and several others have said a hx40 is a very laggy turbo to DD on a om606 with a huge IP.
So I'd say that charger you described would not be ideal

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
01-29-2014, 01:06 PM #4

That charger is around the same size as a hx40, except the turbine and housing are smaller. EDH, jeemu, and several others have said a hx40 is a very laggy turbo to DD on a om606 with a huge IP.
So I'd say that charger you described would not be ideal

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin

smoked~black16v
Naturally-aspirated

01-29-2014, 01:25 PM #5
LOL!! o so what is the best "bolt on" turbo to use and HX30. I know I might need to do a little modifying exhaust and what not but Im just looking for a more efficient turbo for DD. Also Im not looking for extreme horsepower thats what I have my truck for, when that bad boy is done she should be in the 12's with a 6 speed manual Big Grin so this is just my DD that I dont want to be super F***in slow trying to drive it to work thats all. Im sure I can get some power from the water/Meth I can put on there.

I have never done a bunch of research with these little engines but I know with a cummins 5.9 you run the meth after the intercooler for better cooling and the added power. Water/meth on a 5.9 you can get from 50-100hp out of it so I would assume you can get like 30 hp out of it on these little guys along with a good amount of bottom end torque since the water give you a steam engine effect while cooling and keeping your valves nice and clean. a more efficient turbo intercooler and water/meth and the pump turned up should be more then enough power to suffice for a DD "winter" beater.

Also whats the best MPG's you guys have seen with these cars Ive heard with the 2.3 5 speed 30-32 city and 39 hwy. They have to do better then that if tweaked right if not ill just sell it or part it out and get a jetta TDI like a 03
This post was last modified: 01-29-2014, 01:27 PM by smoked~black16v.
smoked~black16v
01-29-2014, 01:25 PM #5

LOL!! o so what is the best "bolt on" turbo to use and HX30. I know I might need to do a little modifying exhaust and what not but Im just looking for a more efficient turbo for DD. Also Im not looking for extreme horsepower thats what I have my truck for, when that bad boy is done she should be in the 12's with a 6 speed manual Big Grin so this is just my DD that I dont want to be super F***in slow trying to drive it to work thats all. Im sure I can get some power from the water/Meth I can put on there.

I have never done a bunch of research with these little engines but I know with a cummins 5.9 you run the meth after the intercooler for better cooling and the added power. Water/meth on a 5.9 you can get from 50-100hp out of it so I would assume you can get like 30 hp out of it on these little guys along with a good amount of bottom end torque since the water give you a steam engine effect while cooling and keeping your valves nice and clean. a more efficient turbo intercooler and water/meth and the pump turned up should be more then enough power to suffice for a DD "winter" beater.

Also whats the best MPG's you guys have seen with these cars Ive heard with the 2.3 5 speed 30-32 city and 39 hwy. They have to do better then that if tweaked right if not ill just sell it or part it out and get a jetta TDI like a 03

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

01-29-2014, 02:25 PM #6
You can't really compare a 12v to one of these little mercs. They are two completely different animals. One is direct injection and has an IP that is super sized from the factory, the other is IDI with an IP than won't flow a whole lot more than stock.

Everybody expects to get 100mpgs with a diesel car. These aren't TDI's, they are about 20 years older. 39mpg is actually pretty good of you ask me.

MFSuper90
01-29-2014, 02:25 PM #6

You can't really compare a 12v to one of these little mercs. They are two completely different animals. One is direct injection and has an IP that is super sized from the factory, the other is IDI with an IP than won't flow a whole lot more than stock.

Everybody expects to get 100mpgs with a diesel car. These aren't TDI's, they are about 20 years older. 39mpg is actually pretty good of you ask me.

smoked~black16v
Naturally-aspirated

01-29-2014, 02:38 PM #7
Touche, I wasn't comparing the two Im well aware that the P7100 is a monster pump I was merely stating that if 100hp can be had with water/meth on a big diesel then 30 has to be possible on one of these. Meth is added fuel so my train of thought is with the right amount and enough air to match the max fuel the little IP can handle to put out should be pretty decent power. 39 mpgs after looking up the price for a TDI lol is fine with me since I got the car for about 1500 bucks.
smoked~black16v
01-29-2014, 02:38 PM #7

Touche, I wasn't comparing the two Im well aware that the P7100 is a monster pump I was merely stating that if 100hp can be had with water/meth on a big diesel then 30 has to be possible on one of these. Meth is added fuel so my train of thought is with the right amount and enough air to match the max fuel the little IP can handle to put out should be pretty decent power. 39 mpgs after looking up the price for a TDI lol is fine with me since I got the car for about 1500 bucks.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

01-29-2014, 04:08 PM #8
Sorry if it sounded trollish, was just making sure Big Grin
I don't have any experience with the 602 so hopefully some experienced members can relate with how their mileage is Smile

MFSuper90
01-29-2014, 04:08 PM #8

Sorry if it sounded trollish, was just making sure Big Grin
I don't have any experience with the 602 so hopefully some experienced members can relate with how their mileage is Smile

waz
GTA2056V

01-30-2014, 02:05 PM #9
The '93 300D in my sig:

I get 26-28mpg around town.
Most often, 28-30mpg 25-40% highway.
Summer with longer trips, 32-34mpg with 50-60% highway miles.
Best for me was 36.5mpg ~75% highway.

Haven't done a full tank of only highway miles, yet. Most trips that long are camping trips with my truck towing a trailer. That mpg number really hurts. So far I can't justify the price of a diesel truck for the amount I tow.

1993 300D 2.5L turbo. W124.128   2.5L 602.962
1991 350SD W126.134  Transplanted a 3.0L 603.961 into it.

waz
01-30-2014, 02:05 PM #9

The '93 300D in my sig:

I get 26-28mpg around town.
Most often, 28-30mpg 25-40% highway.
Summer with longer trips, 32-34mpg with 50-60% highway miles.
Best for me was 36.5mpg ~75% highway.

Haven't done a full tank of only highway miles, yet. Most trips that long are camping trips with my truck towing a trailer. That mpg number really hurts. So far I can't justify the price of a diesel truck for the amount I tow.

1993 300D 2.5L turbo. W124.128   2.5L 602.962
1991 350SD W126.134  Transplanted a 3.0L 603.961 into it.

sassparilla_kid
diesel &gt; all other fuels

01-30-2014, 02:06 PM #10
Just remember, you can't shoot the alcohol until you have a decent amount of boost! I would say if you didn't want to do much pump work, a VNT with one of those fancy alcohol injection controllers that pumps more/less depending on the amount of boost would be the way to go.

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
01-30-2014, 02:06 PM #10

Just remember, you can't shoot the alcohol until you have a decent amount of boost! I would say if you didn't want to do much pump work, a VNT with one of those fancy alcohol injection controllers that pumps more/less depending on the amount of boost would be the way to go.

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )

smoked~black16v
Naturally-aspirated

01-30-2014, 02:39 PM #11
Well the fancy alcohol is quiet simple and widely used in high HP pickups and was first used in Fighter planes in WWII. you have a switch that wont activate the high pressure pump tell a certain PSI after that its metered at what ever size the nozzle is and PSI behind the nozzle.

My 190D was getting about 30 mpgs in the city and 33 on the hwy so Im guessing with the overdrive 5 speed i should be near 40. Im just looking for the best turbo to swap out with the stock one to turn the pump up as much as it can handle then mist some water/meth in there. Ill through it up on a dyno to with and without the water/meth so we can see what the power gain from the water/meth is.
smoked~black16v
01-30-2014, 02:39 PM #11

Well the fancy alcohol is quiet simple and widely used in high HP pickups and was first used in Fighter planes in WWII. you have a switch that wont activate the high pressure pump tell a certain PSI after that its metered at what ever size the nozzle is and PSI behind the nozzle.

My 190D was getting about 30 mpgs in the city and 33 on the hwy so Im guessing with the overdrive 5 speed i should be near 40. Im just looking for the best turbo to swap out with the stock one to turn the pump up as much as it can handle then mist some water/meth in there. Ill through it up on a dyno to with and without the water/meth so we can see what the power gain from the water/meth is.

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

01-30-2014, 03:05 PM #12
Sasp, I did just that. Methanol felt faster on my 300D running 18psi with a VNT

Other guys have dynoed methanol at 10ish hp, I bet you can get more with a bigger nozzle.

A simple multi stage would be a small, med, and large sprayers-each has an on/off solenoid. Activate whichever you want depending on the HP requirements.

Simpler=Better
01-30-2014, 03:05 PM #12

Sasp, I did just that. Methanol felt faster on my 300D running 18psi with a VNT

Other guys have dynoed methanol at 10ish hp, I bet you can get more with a bigger nozzle.

A simple multi stage would be a small, med, and large sprayers-each has an on/off solenoid. Activate whichever you want depending on the HP requirements.

smoked~black16v
Naturally-aspirated

01-30-2014, 03:40 PM #13
Ya I think with a medium nozzle and have it come on at 8-9 psi with a higher PSI (more atomized) you can get more then 10 hp out of that.
smoked~black16v
01-30-2014, 03:40 PM #13

Ya I think with a medium nozzle and have it come on at 8-9 psi with a higher PSI (more atomized) you can get more then 10 hp out of that.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

01-30-2014, 04:12 PM #14
Hobbs switch and a devils own pump, some nozzles, a reservoir for the W/M and you'll be ready to rock and roll!
I tossed around the idea of doing a W/M system in a two stage, small nozzle for low boost for mileage, then have a larger nozzle for more higher boost applications and more hp. But i ditched the idea after I got my intercooler because it would be too much of a hassle to shoot it after the cooler, and I don't want it to corrode the core of the intercooler.
This post was last modified: 01-30-2014, 04:13 PM by MFSuper90.

MFSuper90
01-30-2014, 04:12 PM #14

Hobbs switch and a devils own pump, some nozzles, a reservoir for the W/M and you'll be ready to rock and roll!
I tossed around the idea of doing a W/M system in a two stage, small nozzle for low boost for mileage, then have a larger nozzle for more higher boost applications and more hp. But i ditched the idea after I got my intercooler because it would be too much of a hassle to shoot it after the cooler, and I don't want it to corrode the core of the intercooler.

smoked~black16v
Naturally-aspirated

01-30-2014, 04:14 PM #15
Nah I dont think it would be to much at all. If you have enough PSI to the Nozzles and its atomizing really fine
smoked~black16v
01-30-2014, 04:14 PM #15

Nah I dont think it would be to much at all. If you have enough PSI to the Nozzles and its atomizing really fine

sassparilla_kid
diesel &gt; all other fuels

01-30-2014, 08:27 PM #16
(01-30-2014, 03:05 PM)Simpler=Better Sasp, I did just that. Methanol felt faster on my 300D running 18psi with a VNT

Even simpler than that, multiple nozzles the same size, each additional one kicks on at more boost, I.e. 6psi 2gph, 9psi 2gph+2gph, 14psi 2gph+2gph+2gph

It would be easier than having it switch on an additional nozzle and one off
This post was last modified: 01-30-2014, 08:28 PM by sassparilla_kid.

sassparilla_kid
01-30-2014, 08:27 PM #16

(01-30-2014, 03:05 PM)Simpler=Better Sasp, I did just that. Methanol felt faster on my 300D running 18psi with a VNT

Even simpler than that, multiple nozzles the same size, each additional one kicks on at more boost, I.e. 6psi 2gph, 9psi 2gph+2gph, 14psi 2gph+2gph+2gph

It would be easier than having it switch on an additional nozzle and one off

smoked~black16v
Naturally-aspirated

02-12-2014, 08:49 AM #17
Thats alot of money at that point you mine as well buy a kit from snow with their progressive controller kit.
smoked~black16v
02-12-2014, 08:49 AM #17

Thats alot of money at that point you mine as well buy a kit from snow with their progressive controller kit.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

02-12-2014, 09:59 AM #18
I bet you spend half on what sarsaparilla just said as a snow kit

MFSuper90
02-12-2014, 09:59 AM #18

I bet you spend half on what sarsaparilla just said as a snow kit

shadowmaker
K26-2

02-12-2014, 10:41 AM #19
Be carefull with methanol as it starts to self ignite after ~16:1 compression.
shadowmaker
02-12-2014, 10:41 AM #19

Be carefull with methanol as it starts to self ignite after ~16:1 compression.

EmJay
Holset

02-13-2014, 11:32 AM #20
On my 300 before I pulled the motor (wreck) I got 39mpg hwy, automatic 722.4 and om602 turbo. What is the stock rear end on the 190D? The 300 is 2.9 if I remember right.
This post was last modified: 02-13-2014, 11:32 AM by EmJay.
EmJay
02-13-2014, 11:32 AM #20

On my 300 before I pulled the motor (wreck) I got 39mpg hwy, automatic 722.4 and om602 turbo. What is the stock rear end on the 190D? The 300 is 2.9 if I remember right.

mxfrank
K26-2

02-13-2014, 01:07 PM #21
Back to the original question, how does a headgasket create these symptoms? It sounds like there's a lot of pressure building up in the crankcase...maybe a plugged breather?

1987 Mercedes 190TD
mxfrank
02-13-2014, 01:07 PM #21

Back to the original question, how does a headgasket create these symptoms? It sounds like there's a lot of pressure building up in the crankcase...maybe a plugged breather?

1987 Mercedes 190TD

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average