STD Tuning Engine OM602 / W201 super-tuning basics, getting started...

OM602 / W201 super-tuning basics, getting started...

OM602 / W201 super-tuning basics, getting started...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Jetmugg
GT2256V

03-26-2014, 10:05 AM #1
First - a little bit of background....

I have a '93 W201 which started life as a 190E 2.6 gasser. I have installed an '87 OM602 turbo engine from an '87 190D 2.5Turbo (which was an auto trans car). This turbo has the pressure actuated wastegate, as compared to the vacuum wastegate of later OM602 turbo engines.

I have mated it to a 5-speed from an '85 190D 2.2, with a flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate from a 190E 2.3. I am also using a 3.07 ratio rearend from an '86-ish 300E (W124 car). The car drives well and has good power when the turbo "kicks in" at about 2500 rpm.

This car has been my daily driver for several years now, with minimal problems. It's 100% reliable, although not perfect in terms of all of it's functions.

I'm of the mind to simplify some of the electronic / vacuum operated systems underhood (remnants of the auto trans controls, EGR, EDS, and possibly some other doo-dads).

My larger goal is to add more power, probably in stages. First up would be to adjust the fueling of the pump and function of the ALDA. At some point, a larger turbo and/or intercooler may be called for. My ultimate vision for this car would be to have a 20Valve OM605 Superturbo, perhaps mated to a 6-speed manual trans. (It doesn't cost anything to dream).

I have worked with Goran at Dieselmeken on another project, and I'm completely confident in his ability to build/rebuild my injection pump, but that will have to wait for a little while.

In the meantime, I'm trying to work out a logical flow of steps to perform so that when the time comes for a Dieselmeken pump, that most of the other obstacles have been removed.

Right now, I'm thinking that stripping away all of the non-critical electronic and vacuum equipment is a good idea so that I can simplify the entire system.

I'd enjoy hearing about suggestions for step-by-step improvements, keeping in mind that I cannot afford to drop huge chunks of money at one time.

Thanks,

Steve
Jetmugg
03-26-2014, 10:05 AM #1

First - a little bit of background....

I have a '93 W201 which started life as a 190E 2.6 gasser. I have installed an '87 OM602 turbo engine from an '87 190D 2.5Turbo (which was an auto trans car). This turbo has the pressure actuated wastegate, as compared to the vacuum wastegate of later OM602 turbo engines.

I have mated it to a 5-speed from an '85 190D 2.2, with a flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate from a 190E 2.3. I am also using a 3.07 ratio rearend from an '86-ish 300E (W124 car). The car drives well and has good power when the turbo "kicks in" at about 2500 rpm.

This car has been my daily driver for several years now, with minimal problems. It's 100% reliable, although not perfect in terms of all of it's functions.

I'm of the mind to simplify some of the electronic / vacuum operated systems underhood (remnants of the auto trans controls, EGR, EDS, and possibly some other doo-dads).

My larger goal is to add more power, probably in stages. First up would be to adjust the fueling of the pump and function of the ALDA. At some point, a larger turbo and/or intercooler may be called for. My ultimate vision for this car would be to have a 20Valve OM605 Superturbo, perhaps mated to a 6-speed manual trans. (It doesn't cost anything to dream).

I have worked with Goran at Dieselmeken on another project, and I'm completely confident in his ability to build/rebuild my injection pump, but that will have to wait for a little while.

In the meantime, I'm trying to work out a logical flow of steps to perform so that when the time comes for a Dieselmeken pump, that most of the other obstacles have been removed.

Right now, I'm thinking that stripping away all of the non-critical electronic and vacuum equipment is a good idea so that I can simplify the entire system.

I'd enjoy hearing about suggestions for step-by-step improvements, keeping in mind that I cannot afford to drop huge chunks of money at one time.

Thanks,

Steve

bhowell_10
Naturally-aspirated

04-03-2014, 11:34 PM #2
If you don't need EGR & you have done a manual transmission conversion then I don't think you need any of the vacuum system except for engine shutoff. Install electric vacuum pump on the firewall & put a blank plate over the existing vacuum pump location.

Look up DORMAN: 904214 with auto hysterisis.

Now that would be a clean engine compartment.

How are you currently running your tachometer?
bhowell_10
04-03-2014, 11:34 PM #2

If you don't need EGR & you have done a manual transmission conversion then I don't think you need any of the vacuum system except for engine shutoff. Install electric vacuum pump on the firewall & put a blank plate over the existing vacuum pump location.

Look up DORMAN: 904214 with auto hysterisis.

Now that would be a clean engine compartment.

How are you currently running your tachometer?

Jetmugg
GT2256V

04-04-2014, 11:24 AM #3
The tach is running off a basically stock electrical system. I swapped harnesses and the gauge cluster from the '87 190D 2.5T into the later body. Beyond the sensor that is triggered by the flywheel and the tach itself, I have not traced the wiring. I assume there is some kind of signal "converter box" for the tach.

I would keep the OEM engine driven vacuum pump for the power brakes, engine shutoff, and climate control functions.

I need to spend some time studying the rest of the underhood vacuum lines. I would probably still want the ALDA.

Steve.
Jetmugg
04-04-2014, 11:24 AM #3

The tach is running off a basically stock electrical system. I swapped harnesses and the gauge cluster from the '87 190D 2.5T into the later body. Beyond the sensor that is triggered by the flywheel and the tach itself, I have not traced the wiring. I assume there is some kind of signal "converter box" for the tach.

I would keep the OEM engine driven vacuum pump for the power brakes, engine shutoff, and climate control functions.

I need to spend some time studying the rest of the underhood vacuum lines. I would probably still want the ALDA.

Steve.

Kenny1813
Naturally-aspirated

05-05-2015, 07:59 PM #4
Please continue the discussion, it is very interesting. I'm about to install a OM602 turbo on my 190e 2.3 8v and tachometer is going to be one thing. Can I take the wiring/or cluster from the w124 I bought for the engine?. I bought the wiring harness for the 190D OM602 turbo.. but that doesn't include the tach/speedo right? what are the major thing I will need to do to make the gasoline to diesel swap? Iv'e read a couple tread but didn't have any clear answer for my particular swap.

Thanks.

- 1992 W201 black/grey soon with Turbo OM602        -
- 1983 Porsche 944 n/a                                            -
- 2001 Toyota Echo, my daily and tough 350 000km    -
Kenny1813
05-05-2015, 07:59 PM #4

Please continue the discussion, it is very interesting. I'm about to install a OM602 turbo on my 190e 2.3 8v and tachometer is going to be one thing. Can I take the wiring/or cluster from the w124 I bought for the engine?. I bought the wiring harness for the 190D OM602 turbo.. but that doesn't include the tach/speedo right? what are the major thing I will need to do to make the gasoline to diesel swap? Iv'e read a couple tread but didn't have any clear answer for my particular swap.

Thanks.

Kenny1813
Naturally-aspirated

05-12-2015, 11:59 PM #5
someone? Will my diesel w124 cluster fit my gasoline w201?

Kenny1813
05-12-2015, 11:59 PM #5

someone? Will my diesel w124 cluster fit my gasoline w201?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average