STD Tuning Engine om603 190e

om603 190e

om603 190e

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

winequip_td
K26-2

05-05-2014, 10:40 PM #1
Hi

Im in the process of putting a 603 in a 91 190e, I have the engine and trans bolted in but I was wondering what people are doing for some of the following systems.

1. up front what are you guys using for a rad combination? I would like to keep the AC and mount an intercooler. I have heard that some people do a 2.6 rad support swap and I have heard some of the fins use a rad from a non turbo 124.

2. The electrical, the glowplug relay, do I leave it standalone is is there a place to connect it in the fusebox? The tach, is it driven by the ECM off an ignition pulse or does it run off one of the pickups in the bell housing? I should mention I am using a 2.3-16 clutch and flywheel. I noticed that the 603 and 2.3 sensors are located at different angles in the block so If i need them some fabbing might be required.

I will post some pictures tomorrow, any help would be greatly appreciated.
winequip_td
05-05-2014, 10:40 PM #1

Hi

Im in the process of putting a 603 in a 91 190e, I have the engine and trans bolted in but I was wondering what people are doing for some of the following systems.

1. up front what are you guys using for a rad combination? I would like to keep the AC and mount an intercooler. I have heard that some people do a 2.6 rad support swap and I have heard some of the fins use a rad from a non turbo 124.

2. The electrical, the glowplug relay, do I leave it standalone is is there a place to connect it in the fusebox? The tach, is it driven by the ECM off an ignition pulse or does it run off one of the pickups in the bell housing? I should mention I am using a 2.3-16 clutch and flywheel. I noticed that the 603 and 2.3 sensors are located at different angles in the block so If i need them some fabbing might be required.

I will post some pictures tomorrow, any help would be greatly appreciated.

aaa
GT2256V

05-15-2014, 12:06 PM #2
The glowpug relay is mostly standalone, it has its own fuse so it's directly connected to the battery.

The tach on the 603 picks up off the flywheel teeth, whereas on the gas engines it picks up off tabs added to the flywheel. I think it does go thru a computer module on the 603 as well, not sure if you can connect it to the tach directly.
aaa
05-15-2014, 12:06 PM #2

The glowpug relay is mostly standalone, it has its own fuse so it's directly connected to the battery.

The tach on the 603 picks up off the flywheel teeth, whereas on the gas engines it picks up off tabs added to the flywheel. I think it does go thru a computer module on the 603 as well, not sure if you can connect it to the tach directly.

mbz123
GT2256V

05-15-2014, 04:50 PM #3
This is correct. The signal, vAC, is sent to the eds control unit and one of that unit's outputs is a DC signal sent on to the cluster. Most likely could crack the signal (iirc is 144pulses/rev and <5vAC) to feed a custom/supplied tach as most Benz tachs from this period want to see a direct curent. Don't quote me on that last tidbit, tho.

You'll need to get creative with the cooling situation. I'm not intimately familiar with the 201, but I know it's tight. Awwwwhawwww. Those of us who captain the boats, w126 and w123, have a little more leeway and lots more options.

GL

MBZ123
mbz123
05-15-2014, 04:50 PM #3

This is correct. The signal, vAC, is sent to the eds control unit and one of that unit's outputs is a DC signal sent on to the cluster. Most likely could crack the signal (iirc is 144pulses/rev and <5vAC) to feed a custom/supplied tach as most Benz tachs from this period want to see a direct curent. Don't quote me on that last tidbit, tho.

You'll need to get creative with the cooling situation. I'm not intimately familiar with the 201, but I know it's tight. Awwwwhawwww. Those of us who captain the boats, w126 and w123, have a little more leeway and lots more options.

GL

MBZ123

05-16-2014, 05:47 AM #4
Gasser = crank position sensor, diesel = TD/RPM signal. gasser modulates TD-signal from crank sensor via ignition module. Check the flywheels; two teeth vs. multi-teeth Wink Hope that makes sense... The AC compressor alos generates a TD-signal, but for compressor-RPM not engine RPM - as mean of controll for emergency compressor shut-off.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
05-16-2014, 05:47 AM #4

Gasser = crank position sensor, diesel = TD/RPM signal. gasser modulates TD-signal from crank sensor via ignition module. Check the flywheels; two teeth vs. multi-teeth Wink Hope that makes sense... The AC compressor alos generates a TD-signal, but for compressor-RPM not engine RPM - as mean of controll for emergency compressor shut-off.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603

winequip_td
K26-2

05-30-2014, 10:23 PM #5
So are the tachs both the same between the gas and diesel engines and the difference is the control module that converts the signal from the crank sensor ( weather 144 pulses/rev or 2 pulses/rev)? I have a buddy who is an electrical engineer and can program a micro controller to output whatever I want. So the input the tach is looking for is a pulsed 5v signal or a signal that varies from say 1-5v?

Ya it is a little tight in there but it fits, the rad I have in there is from a 190 2.3 its not permanent its just sitting on the mounts. With that rad installed there is 1/4 inch of room between the rad and the crank pulley without the belt pulley installed. I have heard of people in europe using a 124d N/A rad but I cant find one over here in Canada they were never brought over.

Thanks for all the help.

P.s does anyone know how to add pics for some reason when I attach them it doesn't actually do it.?
This post was last modified: 05-30-2014, 10:28 PM by winequip_td.
winequip_td
05-30-2014, 10:23 PM #5

So are the tachs both the same between the gas and diesel engines and the difference is the control module that converts the signal from the crank sensor ( weather 144 pulses/rev or 2 pulses/rev)? I have a buddy who is an electrical engineer and can program a micro controller to output whatever I want. So the input the tach is looking for is a pulsed 5v signal or a signal that varies from say 1-5v?

Ya it is a little tight in there but it fits, the rad I have in there is from a 190 2.3 its not permanent its just sitting on the mounts. With that rad installed there is 1/4 inch of room between the rad and the crank pulley without the belt pulley installed. I have heard of people in europe using a 124d N/A rad but I cant find one over here in Canada they were never brought over.

Thanks for all the help.

P.s does anyone know how to add pics for some reason when I attach them it doesn't actually do it.?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average