STD Tuning Engine w126 om606 conversion questions

w126 om606 conversion questions

w126 om606 conversion questions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mexterdorgan
Naturally-aspirated

06-07-2014, 05:29 AM #1
Hi, I found this forum in hopes of getting some more info about diesel-engines, since people on the swedish forums tend to be quite childish.

I have a w126 300SE -89 I'd like to convert. Let me point out that I have NEVER had a car project before so this will be my first! Confused ... Luckily Im an optimist and I want to do this because I want to prove to myself that its possible! Im a clever guy, good with readings, just unexperienced in the garage Big Grin

Thoughts about what my goals are:
450-500hp

OM606.962
KKD Motorsport Manifold
HX40 Super?
Mechanical pump, either mynä or dieselmeken produced
Big IC
Big pump from tank, including a fuellab dieselfilter
Automatic gearbox from AMG, Strenghtend, including a PCS TCM 2000 controller.
etc..

And my very first question is, how the fuck do I convert?! My skills with electronic schedules etc doesnt exist.. The only thing I know is that diesels have less electronics than petrol cars.

Best of regards
mexterdorgan
06-07-2014, 05:29 AM #1

Hi, I found this forum in hopes of getting some more info about diesel-engines, since people on the swedish forums tend to be quite childish.

I have a w126 300SE -89 I'd like to convert. Let me point out that I have NEVER had a car project before so this will be my first! Confused ... Luckily Im an optimist and I want to do this because I want to prove to myself that its possible! Im a clever guy, good with readings, just unexperienced in the garage Big Grin

Thoughts about what my goals are:
450-500hp

OM606.962
KKD Motorsport Manifold
HX40 Super?
Mechanical pump, either mynä or dieselmeken produced
Big IC
Big pump from tank, including a fuellab dieselfilter
Automatic gearbox from AMG, Strenghtend, including a PCS TCM 2000 controller.
etc..

And my very first question is, how the fuck do I convert?! My skills with electronic schedules etc doesnt exist.. The only thing I know is that diesels have less electronics than petrol cars.

Best of regards

F.R.A.S
Holset

06-07-2014, 08:06 AM #2
Hi and welcome.

Thoughts about your goals:
450-500hp

OM606.962 Cool
KKD Motorsport Manifold Sad
HX40 Super? Sad
Mechanical pump, either mynä or dieselmeken produced Undecided
Big IC Cool
Big pump from tank, including a fuellab dieselfilter Cool
Automatic gearbox from AMG, Strenghtend, including a PCS TCM 2000 controller. Huh
etc..

That's my first thoughts on the subject.

How did you decide on this? KKD is not the only one making exhaust manifolds. Holset is not the only manufacturer of turbos and there is only one choice for a dieselpump and that's Dieselmeken.

I'm super bias here so It feels wrong for me to tell you NOT to buy a KKD manifold, but look around and see what you find.

Turbo. Yea, the hx40-super is a good turbo. But a GTX3582R is a better turbo. Or a PTE6266BB Gen2 is an even better turbo. So look around there to.

There is no substitute for a Dieselmeken IP so send him a good core and order an 8m superpump.

The other stuff you have sorted. But why an Automatic gearbox?

The beauty with a mechanical IP is that you don't have to care about electronics =)

Good luck.

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.
F.R.A.S
06-07-2014, 08:06 AM #2

Hi and welcome.

450-500hp

OM606.962 Cool
HX40 Super? Sad
Big IC Cool
Automatic gearbox from AMG, Strenghtend, including a PCS TCM 2000 controller. Huh
etc..

How did you decide on this? KKD is not the only one making exhaust manifolds. Holset is not the only manufacturer of turbos and there is only one choice for a dieselpump and that's Dieselmeken.

I'm super bias here so It feels wrong for me to tell you NOT to buy a KKD manifold, but look around and see what you find.

Turbo. Yea, the hx40-super is a good turbo. But a GTX3582R is a better turbo. Or a PTE6266BB Gen2 is an even better turbo. So look around there to.

There is no substitute for a Dieselmeken IP so send him a good core and order an 8m superpump.

The beauty with a mechanical IP is that you don't have to care about electronics =)

Good luck.

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.

mexterdorgan
Naturally-aspirated

06-07-2014, 08:36 AM #3
(06-07-2014, 08:06 AM)F.R.A.S Hi and welcome.

450-500hp

OM606.962 Cool
HX40 Super? Sad
Big IC Cool
etc..

Good luck.

Thanks for quick response! Thats why I need people like you, to sort things out in my head Big Grin
Like you said, Holset and KKD are just 2 of many great manufacturers out there, and I wrote them down just because Ive heard good things about them, especially KKD. OFC I can try to make my own manifold, but that will take alot of time, and Ive never done it before.

Regarding the gearbox, that was just a thought as well. Ive seen alot of guys having ZF with sachs 765 and sinter. But I see 2 problems!

First of all: I want a dailydriver, and having a sinter will make it quite hard to drive.

Second: I need to customize the flywheel to even make it fit, right?

Why not have a AMG that holds for 900nm, and with the PCS system it is quick response anyhow. Ive seen some Finnish drifting cars with that system, and it doesnt seem to be a problem at all, correct me if Im wrong! Smile

Regards
mexterdorgan
06-07-2014, 08:36 AM #3

(06-07-2014, 08:06 AM)F.R.A.S Hi and welcome.

450-500hp

OM606.962 Cool
HX40 Super? Sad
Big IC Cool
etc..

Good luck.

Thanks for quick response! Thats why I need people like you, to sort things out in my head Big Grin
Like you said, Holset and KKD are just 2 of many great manufacturers out there, and I wrote them down just because Ive heard good things about them, especially KKD. OFC I can try to make my own manifold, but that will take alot of time, and Ive never done it before.

Regarding the gearbox, that was just a thought as well. Ive seen alot of guys having ZF with sachs 765 and sinter. But I see 2 problems!

First of all: I want a dailydriver, and having a sinter will make it quite hard to drive.

Why not have a AMG that holds for 900nm, and with the PCS system it is quick response anyhow. Ive seen some Finnish drifting cars with that system, and it doesnt seem to be a problem at all, correct me if Im wrong! Smile

Regards

F.R.A.S
Holset

06-07-2014, 09:19 AM #4
Absolutely Holset make great flowing turbos that lasts for lifetimes. But they are quite heavy and in comparison to a modern turbo quite slow to spool.

Regarding the exhaust manifold there is a problem when buying something that is "one size fits all". It is a manifold built in a jig and that is what you buy. Building it yourself, sure. But for a 500hp 6cyl diesel engine. Hmm, don't... Practice on your friends 300hp Volvo 4cyl first and then evolve your building from there.

Yes, going a BMW-gearbox is great and for 500hp you could go organic clutch with the Sachs 765 pressure plate. Sinter will be a little harder to drive but a 6-puck with springed center is alright to drive.

Yes you have to machine a solid flywheel to accommodate the clutch. But that's not that hard or expensive.

But auto gearbox works also...

I think it's going to be a cool build Tongue everything with a om606 is amazing. Are you doing this on a tight budget or can you build anything you like?

/ F

(06-07-2014, 08:36 AM)mexterdorgan Thanks for quick response! Thats why I need people like you, to sort things out in my head Big Grin

Regards

F.R.A.S
06-07-2014, 09:19 AM #4

Absolutely Holset make great flowing turbos that lasts for lifetimes. But they are quite heavy and in comparison to a modern turbo quite slow to spool.

Regarding the exhaust manifold there is a problem when buying something that is "one size fits all". It is a manifold built in a jig and that is what you buy. Building it yourself, sure. But for a 500hp 6cyl diesel engine. Hmm, don't... Practice on your friends 300hp Volvo 4cyl first and then evolve your building from there.

Yes, going a BMW-gearbox is great and for 500hp you could go organic clutch with the Sachs 765 pressure plate. Sinter will be a little harder to drive but a 6-puck with springed center is alright to drive.

Yes you have to machine a solid flywheel to accommodate the clutch. But that's not that hard or expensive.

But auto gearbox works also...

I think it's going to be a cool build Tongue everything with a om606 is amazing. Are you doing this on a tight budget or can you build anything you like?

/ F

(06-07-2014, 08:36 AM)mexterdorgan Thanks for quick response! Thats why I need people like you, to sort things out in my head Big Grin

Regards

swampmonkey
hx40 super

06-07-2014, 09:28 AM #5
Dieselmeken is indeed a good person and helps around here, but to say his pumps is the only option? have had good experince with Mynä both regarding power and support, as with dieselmeken,

the best pump is debatable, but the best support on forums+facebook and the one that charges less is without a doubt Dieselmeken...

other than that i think you seem good to go, the 300SE from 1989 has a 3.46 and the smal flange+flexdisc, might be an alternative to go with a tad higher geared, wich also means getting a v8 diff wich gives you a larger flexdisc+flange that will withstand more power,

getting a higher geard differential seems even more important if you decide to go with the automatic Smile

---------------------------------
daily driver
w115 240d 72hp 3.07 rearend
w123 om602 turbo 200whp 7.5mm pump fivespeed 3.07 rearend
+ a few more.
mbturbo.com
swampmonkey
06-07-2014, 09:28 AM #5

Dieselmeken is indeed a good person and helps around here, but to say his pumps is the only option? have had good experince with Mynä both regarding power and support, as with dieselmeken,

the best pump is debatable, but the best support on forums+facebook and the one that charges less is without a doubt Dieselmeken...

other than that i think you seem good to go, the 300SE from 1989 has a 3.46 and the smal flange+flexdisc, might be an alternative to go with a tad higher geared, wich also means getting a v8 diff wich gives you a larger flexdisc+flange that will withstand more power,

getting a higher geard differential seems even more important if you decide to go with the automatic Smile

---------------------------------
daily driver
w115 240d 72hp 3.07 rearend
w123 om602 turbo 200whp 7.5mm pump fivespeed 3.07 rearend
+ a few more.
mbturbo.com

mexterdorgan
Naturally-aspirated

06-07-2014, 09:52 AM #6
Ye well lets just say that Im openminded, I take every tip into consideration, and I have a lot to learn as well. The good thing about dieselmeken is that hes in Swe, which makes it easier with the shipping etc.

I will start with this project in the late summer, dont have a garage until then. And this project will go on for about a year, planned to be "Done"... summer 2015.
So the budget wont be tight at all, Ive already taken into consideration that this kind of build will most likely ruin your wallet.. Big Grin

Lets just say that I want a 4-500hp dailydriver, that holds somewhat good, so all the parts will be quite expensive I guess, but ALOT of fun when shes ready!
mexterdorgan
06-07-2014, 09:52 AM #6

Ye well lets just say that Im openminded, I take every tip into consideration, and I have a lot to learn as well. The good thing about dieselmeken is that hes in Swe, which makes it easier with the shipping etc.

I will start with this project in the late summer, dont have a garage until then. And this project will go on for about a year, planned to be "Done"... summer 2015.
So the budget wont be tight at all, Ive already taken into consideration that this kind of build will most likely ruin your wallet.. Big Grin

Lets just say that I want a 4-500hp dailydriver, that holds somewhat good, so all the parts will be quite expensive I guess, but ALOT of fun when shes ready!

mbz123
GT2256V

06-07-2014, 10:54 AM #7
So your budget, are you talkin 10-12k or 20k-"too many digits before the decimal point on my account readouts" to really give a $#!T ?

Frankly, I had an entirely different post written before any responses to OP had been made. Tossed now as your subsequent replies kinda answered most of what was written.

Still curious as to what the most complex job you have ever completed on a car is? You stated not having much "under the hood" time on the books and a year timeline for what you want to accomplish is, well, just a tad optimistic. Your healthy optimism was also noted.

MBZ123
mbz123
06-07-2014, 10:54 AM #7

So your budget, are you talkin 10-12k or 20k-"too many digits before the decimal point on my account readouts" to really give a $#!T ?

Frankly, I had an entirely different post written before any responses to OP had been made. Tossed now as your subsequent replies kinda answered most of what was written.

Still curious as to what the most complex job you have ever completed on a car is? You stated not having much "under the hood" time on the books and a year timeline for what you want to accomplish is, well, just a tad optimistic. Your healthy optimism was also noted.

MBZ123

Triker
Naturally-aspirated

06-07-2014, 11:13 AM #8
How do you want the engine acts? With one turbo and it spools with high rpm and nothing happens in low rpm or compound(twin turbo) setup and you get wide usability.
The engine conversion itself is very easy(been there done that) and you have a plenty of space in engine bay. If you want simple solution about the gearbox you can take your 722.3 to strength and use it.
It´s your choice which pump do want to use, Dieselmeken or Mynä. I use Dieselmeken´s 8mm pump and I´m very pleased about the pump and Göran´s customer service.

S210 320CDI
W140 S300DT
EX: C126 om606 compound "300STC
Triker
06-07-2014, 11:13 AM #8

How do you want the engine acts? With one turbo and it spools with high rpm and nothing happens in low rpm or compound(twin turbo) setup and you get wide usability.
The engine conversion itself is very easy(been there done that) and you have a plenty of space in engine bay. If you want simple solution about the gearbox you can take your 722.3 to strength and use it.
It´s your choice which pump do want to use, Dieselmeken or Mynä. I use Dieselmeken´s 8mm pump and I´m very pleased about the pump and Göran´s customer service.

S210 320CDI
W140 S300DT
EX: C126 om606 compound "300STC

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average