STD Tuning Engine Garrett T3 Turbine trim 45 to 55?

Garrett T3 Turbine trim 45 to 55?

Garrett T3 Turbine trim 45 to 55?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

johnnwg
Unregistered

07-03-2014, 08:58 PM #1
Im looking into upgrading my turbo on my om617 and was wondering if changing my impeller wheel to a diiferent trim would be worth it. Where do I purchase a new impeller and whats the proper one to get. I will also be upgading my pump for more fuel. Any imput would be much appreciated!

John G
johnnwg
07-03-2014, 08:58 PM #1

Im looking into upgrading my turbo on my om617 and was wondering if changing my impeller wheel to a diiferent trim would be worth it. Where do I purchase a new impeller and whats the proper one to get. I will also be upgading my pump for more fuel. Any imput would be much appreciated!

John G

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

07-05-2014, 07:19 AM #2
If you are going to upgrade your pump, you might as well do your charger too. The stock charger is too small and will create to much backpressure with anything more than a stock pump.
Even with my stock pump turned up I trashed the stock charger in no time running high boost on it (15-18psi)

With a big pump, if you don't want big hp numbers and youd rather have faster spool I would go with a Holset he221 or an hx30. I really like the way mine performs, I just don't have enough fuel to satisfy it.

And you will likely need an intercooler to keep EGT's from sky rocketing

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
07-05-2014, 07:19 AM #2

If you are going to upgrade your pump, you might as well do your charger too. The stock charger is too small and will create to much backpressure with anything more than a stock pump.
Even with my stock pump turned up I trashed the stock charger in no time running high boost on it (15-18psi)

With a big pump, if you don't want big hp numbers and youd rather have faster spool I would go with a Holset he221 or an hx30. I really like the way mine performs, I just don't have enough fuel to satisfy it.

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin

kestreltom
GT2256V

07-11-2014, 10:44 AM #3
(07-03-2014, 08:58 PM)johnnwg Im looking into upgrading my turbo on my om617 and was wondering if changing my impeller wheel to a diiferent trim would be worth it. Where do I purchase a new impeller and whats the proper one to get. I will also be upgading my pump for more fuel. Any imput would be much appreciated!

John G

I upgraded to a 60 trim wheel - you can get Garrett compressor wheels from any turbo rebuilder, or on ebay. Going to a 60 trim wheel means you will have to have the compressor housing machined to fit it... which means finding a rebuilder with experience and a machine shop. Any compressor wheel other than the stock one will require machining. The 60 trim wheel will spool as fast or better than stock and will deliver plenty of boost (up to 15 psi) without overspeeding the turbo, and therefore will allow you to turn up the governor on the IP. If you do turn up the IP, I recommend a boost gauge, pyro gauge, and an intercooler - or you will probably warp, crack, or break something from the excess exhaust heat.

1984 300D with Monark nozzles, GT2256V w/ Synkooppi/Arduino controller, W123 n/a intake, air/water intercooler, precup holes reamed, IP & valve timing = fac + 2 degrees, upgraded leather interior, 140A alternator, electric lift pump, 3" aluminum radiator w/ electric fan, HID headlight conversion, bilsteins, stock MW IP turned up 3 turns on tq module per OM616, 2.65 rear end, ventilated front rotors, dual rear swaybar mod + W116 springs  -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zPSyCMkkk0
kestreltom
07-11-2014, 10:44 AM #3

(07-03-2014, 08:58 PM)johnnwg Im looking into upgrading my turbo on my om617 and was wondering if changing my impeller wheel to a diiferent trim would be worth it. Where do I purchase a new impeller and whats the proper one to get. I will also be upgading my pump for more fuel. Any imput would be much appreciated!

John G

I upgraded to a 60 trim wheel - you can get Garrett compressor wheels from any turbo rebuilder, or on ebay. Going to a 60 trim wheel means you will have to have the compressor housing machined to fit it... which means finding a rebuilder with experience and a machine shop. Any compressor wheel other than the stock one will require machining. The 60 trim wheel will spool as fast or better than stock and will deliver plenty of boost (up to 15 psi) without overspeeding the turbo, and therefore will allow you to turn up the governor on the IP. If you do turn up the IP, I recommend a boost gauge, pyro gauge, and an intercooler - or you will probably warp, crack, or break something from the excess exhaust heat.

1984 300D with Monark nozzles, GT2256V w/ Synkooppi/Arduino controller, W123 n/a intake, air/water intercooler, precup holes reamed, IP & valve timing = fac + 2 degrees, upgraded leather interior, 140A alternator, electric lift pump, 3" aluminum radiator w/ electric fan, HID headlight conversion, bilsteins, stock MW IP turned up 3 turns on tq module per OM616, 2.65 rear end, ventilated front rotors, dual rear swaybar mod + W116 springs  -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zPSyCMkkk0

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

08-01-2014, 12:51 AM #4
(07-05-2014, 07:19 AM)MFSuper90 If you are going to upgrade your pump, you might as well do your charger too. The stock charger is too small and will create to much backpressure with anything more than a stock pump.

I disagree.

I was one of the first (that I know of) to go with a 60 trim compressor wheel with otherwise stock Mercedes Garrett T3 60 Trim Comp Wheel Upgrade

So I upgraded the comp wheel first and nothing else after the turbo was oil starved and needed replacement. I was charged $400, for an otherwise new turbo... CHRA, Turbine wheel/shaft, and compressor wheel were new, Compressor housing was machined and original stock exhaust housing retained.

I turned the boost to 12-14 and left it. Now though... I have new injectors, HUGE prechambers, and a fuckin ton of fuel compared to stock, while only running 15psi. There simply is no need for more than 15psi unless you have a "superpump", and by that I mean one thats tuned with larger elements. I spool still around 1800 rpm like stock but can make full boost at 2k no problem if in high gear going very slow (insane amount of engine load) and I can rev to 6000 RPM no problem. Also i will add that I have maxed out my IP timing advance and that I am NOT intercooled yet and have not reached anything over 1100 degrees exhaust temp. She does breath fire out of the hood stack which is cool too haha Big Grin

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

AX15 Jeep Trans swap in progress....

Captain America
08-01-2014, 12:51 AM #4

(07-05-2014, 07:19 AM)MFSuper90 If you are going to upgrade your pump, you might as well do your charger too. The stock charger is too small and will create to much backpressure with anything more than a stock pump.

I disagree.

I was one of the first (that I know of) to go with a 60 trim compressor wheel with otherwise stock Mercedes Garrett T3 60 Trim Comp Wheel Upgrade

So I upgraded the comp wheel first and nothing else after the turbo was oil starved and needed replacement. I was charged $400, for an otherwise new turbo... CHRA, Turbine wheel/shaft, and compressor wheel were new, Compressor housing was machined and original stock exhaust housing retained.

I turned the boost to 12-14 and left it. Now though... I have new injectors, HUGE prechambers, and a fuckin ton of fuel compared to stock, while only running 15psi. There simply is no need for more than 15psi unless you have a "superpump", and by that I mean one thats tuned with larger elements. I spool still around 1800 rpm like stock but can make full boost at 2k no problem if in high gear going very slow (insane amount of engine load) and I can rev to 6000 RPM no problem. Also i will add that I have maxed out my IP timing advance and that I am NOT intercooled yet and have not reached anything over 1100 degrees exhaust temp. She does breath fire out of the hood stack which is cool too haha Big Grin

1982 300D Turbo ... 3,6xxlbs, No fan, No AC, Hood Stack, No ALDA, No rear bumper and stuffed front, A/W Intercooled, Injectors by Greezer and HUGE Pre-Chambers with help from OM616 & Simpler=Better, Fuel Cranked up, 60 Trim Compressor wheel, EGT, EMP, Boost 50" Rigid Radius bar on roof Aux tank for a total of 48 Gal Of Diesel! Odyssey PC-1750 Battery in trunk, 27"x8.5"/R14 Maxxis BigHorn Mud Terrains, In June '14 issue of Off Road Mag

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-01-2014, 07:40 AM #5
(08-01-2014, 12:51 AM)Captain America

I disagree.

You can't talk about a hood stack and not deliver photos!!

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
08-01-2014, 07:40 AM #5

I disagree.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

08-07-2014, 12:43 AM #6
(08-01-2014, 07:40 AM)Simpler=Better

I disagree.

Faaaaaack ok haha

Captain America
08-07-2014, 12:43 AM #6

(08-01-2014, 07:40 AM)Simpler=Better

I disagree.

Faaaaaack ok haha

Captain America
Boostin' & Roostin'

08-07-2014, 02:17 AM #7
I dont have many pictures haha

http://instagram.com/p/nEjr33EhCU/?modal=true

http://instagram.com/captain___america

Captain America
08-07-2014, 02:17 AM #7

I dont have many pictures haha

http://instagram.com/captain___america

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

08-09-2014, 09:18 AM #8
Capt, have you ever measured backpressure with your upgraded turbo?
Just out of curiousity Smile

MFSuper90
08-09-2014, 09:18 AM #8

Capt, have you ever measured backpressure with your upgraded turbo?
Just out of curiousity Smile

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average