STD Tuning Engine GT1749V on a 602?

GT1749V on a 602?

GT1749V on a 602?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ekstra
Naturally-aspirated

07-31-2014, 08:53 PM #1
Sorry guys but I don't know exactly where better to put this question than on this post...Just bought myself a 93' 300D 2.5 Turbo Diesel. Fantastic car and my very first diesel and turbo powered car. I was hoping if someone can help me out here. I was thinking of putting a VNT turbo from a 1.9 Vw Passat (GT17 VNT/GT1749V) or a smaller gt15. I want to get a faster acceleration/ quicker spool up time with this configuration. I'm not aiming for power since I'm stuck with the 722.4 autobox.Sad. What would the Turbo experts suggest? Also I'm going to use the inter cooler from a sprinter 2.9 om662 if that makes any difference Huh... would this configuration also make my car smoke like a chimney? Thank you Wink
Ekstra
07-31-2014, 08:53 PM #1

Sorry guys but I don't know exactly where better to put this question than on this post...Just bought myself a 93' 300D 2.5 Turbo Diesel. Fantastic car and my very first diesel and turbo powered car. I was hoping if someone can help me out here. I was thinking of putting a VNT turbo from a 1.9 Vw Passat (GT17 VNT/GT1749V) or a smaller gt15. I want to get a faster acceleration/ quicker spool up time with this configuration. I'm not aiming for power since I'm stuck with the 722.4 autobox.Sad. What would the Turbo experts suggest? Also I'm going to use the inter cooler from a sprinter 2.9 om662 if that makes any difference Huh... would this configuration also make my car smoke like a chimney? Thank you Wink

aaa
GT2256V

08-01-2014, 01:02 PM #2
I'm not sure why you'd want an even smaller turbo if it's also VNT. If it's not VNT than a smaller turbo might make more sense, but with VNT you're supposed to have your cake and eat it to with both low end and top end power.

The stock turbo 606 is an example of a smaller turbo being used for the same reason.
aaa
08-01-2014, 01:02 PM #2

I'm not sure why you'd want an even smaller turbo if it's also VNT. If it's not VNT than a smaller turbo might make more sense, but with VNT you're supposed to have your cake and eat it to with both low end and top end power.

The stock turbo 606 is an example of a smaller turbo being used for the same reason.

Ekstra
Naturally-aspirated

08-01-2014, 01:26 PM #3
(08-01-2014, 01:02 PM)aaa I'm not sure why you'd want an even smaller turbo if it's also VNT. If it's not VNT than a smaller turbo might make more sense, but with VNT you're supposed to have your cake and eat it to with both low end and top end power.

Thank you for replying so quickly, Sorry if my question sounds amateur-ish or noobish. But anyways what I thought would happen with a smaller turbo would be that I would lose top end power if I was to do highway/interstate driving. Normally my engine's is hitting 2900-3000rpms durring highway driving. With a smaller turbo installed wouldn't I be short on boost if I wanted to pull from 3000-4000... for those rare occasions Undecided. Originally I didn't want to deal with a VNT because of all the moving parts but in my case it seems nice. With a smaller normal turbo I would have less moving parts and more reliability but I also feel it is not going to feed enough air into my engine to create a nice clean burn and therefore leaving a trail of black smoke behind me...Sad
Ekstra
08-01-2014, 01:26 PM #3

(08-01-2014, 01:02 PM)aaa I'm not sure why you'd want an even smaller turbo if it's also VNT. If it's not VNT than a smaller turbo might make more sense, but with VNT you're supposed to have your cake and eat it to with both low end and top end power.

Thank you for replying so quickly, Sorry if my question sounds amateur-ish or noobish. But anyways what I thought would happen with a smaller turbo would be that I would lose top end power if I was to do highway/interstate driving. Normally my engine's is hitting 2900-3000rpms durring highway driving. With a smaller turbo installed wouldn't I be short on boost if I wanted to pull from 3000-4000... for those rare occasions Undecided. Originally I didn't want to deal with a VNT because of all the moving parts but in my case it seems nice. With a smaller normal turbo I would have less moving parts and more reliability but I also feel it is not going to feed enough air into my engine to create a nice clean burn and therefore leaving a trail of black smoke behind me...Sad

aaa
GT2256V

08-01-2014, 06:52 PM #4
It's not hard to avoid black smoke if you have your ALDA intact. Anyways I don't think you're going to improve acceleration much over the stock turbo just by switching to a smaller one, if you have a boost guage you'll see that the boost comes on pretty quickly on the stock automatic-transmission cars, since the torque converter lets the engine rpm jump to around 2200rpm easily.

I would suggest switching out your differential actually, the 2.5 turbo kept the taller 2.65 ratio that the bigger 603 introduced before it. Something like 2.88 or 3.07 would make a noticeable difference in acceleration.
aaa
08-01-2014, 06:52 PM #4

It's not hard to avoid black smoke if you have your ALDA intact. Anyways I don't think you're going to improve acceleration much over the stock turbo just by switching to a smaller one, if you have a boost guage you'll see that the boost comes on pretty quickly on the stock automatic-transmission cars, since the torque converter lets the engine rpm jump to around 2200rpm easily.

I would suggest switching out your differential actually, the 2.5 turbo kept the taller 2.65 ratio that the bigger 603 introduced before it. Something like 2.88 or 3.07 would make a noticeable difference in acceleration.

Ekstra
Naturally-aspirated

08-01-2014, 07:36 PM #5
(08-01-2014, 06:52 PM)aaa It's not hard to avoid black smoke if you have your ALDA intact. Anyways I don't think you're going to improve acceleration much over the stock turbo just by switching to a smaller one, if you have a boost guage you'll see that the boost comes on pretty quickly on the stock automatic-transmission cars, since the torque converter lets the engine rpm jump to around 2200rpm easily.

Would I pull that differential from a w126 chassis or would i need to find a w124 chassis with that diff. Also how would economy look with the different diff. I know my ideas are counter acting each other wanting faster acceleration with the same or better economy. But will the swap take a chunk out of my economy. Also how would it affect the gearing on interstate highway. Would it keep my car in the high rpm range or will it behave normally with a shorter gearing in the low speeds/acceleration. BTW Thanks for being so helpful..Cool
Ekstra
08-01-2014, 07:36 PM #5

(08-01-2014, 06:52 PM)aaa It's not hard to avoid black smoke if you have your ALDA intact. Anyways I don't think you're going to improve acceleration much over the stock turbo just by switching to a smaller one, if you have a boost guage you'll see that the boost comes on pretty quickly on the stock automatic-transmission cars, since the torque converter lets the engine rpm jump to around 2200rpm easily.

Would I pull that differential from a w126 chassis or would i need to find a w124 chassis with that diff. Also how would economy look with the different diff. I know my ideas are counter acting each other wanting faster acceleration with the same or better economy. But will the swap take a chunk out of my economy. Also how would it affect the gearing on interstate highway. Would it keep my car in the high rpm range or will it behave normally with a shorter gearing in the low speeds/acceleration. BTW Thanks for being so helpful..Cool

aaa
GT2256V

08-07-2014, 11:06 AM #6
It would definitely reduce economy, unless you are willing to reduce your speed accordingly to keep the highway RPMs down. I would think it would only be by 1mpg or so.
aaa
08-07-2014, 11:06 AM #6

It would definitely reduce economy, unless you are willing to reduce your speed accordingly to keep the highway RPMs down. I would think it would only be by 1mpg or so.

winmutt
bitbanger

08-07-2014, 03:58 PM #7
Thats an itty bitty turbo.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
08-07-2014, 03:58 PM #7

Thats an itty bitty turbo.