STD Tuning Engine CDI OM648 chips for more power

CDI OM648 chips for more power

CDI OM648 chips for more power

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MTUPower
looking for more power on a daily driver

09-26-2014, 01:11 PM #1
There's many chips listed on USA ebay which claim to be for the 2005 CDI to increase power and mpg. Who has a recommendation and what experience have you had with that chip ?
This post was last modified: 09-26-2014, 01:17 PM by MTUPower.

2005 CDI heavily modified 1984 300TD - Myna pump/TMIC/enlarged PC's/HX30Super/W126 II front brakes/Vogtland springs/EGT +Boost gauges/H4 Hella's
MTUPower
09-26-2014, 01:11 PM #1

There's many chips listed on USA ebay which claim to be for the 2005 CDI to increase power and mpg. Who has a recommendation and what experience have you had with that chip ?

2005 CDI heavily modified 1984 300TD - Myna pump/TMIC/enlarged PC's/HX30Super/W126 II front brakes/Vogtland springs/EGT +Boost gauges/H4 Hella's

Duncansport
Holset

09-26-2014, 01:22 PM #2
(09-26-2014, 01:11 PM)MTUPower There's many chips listed on USA ebay which claim to be for the 2005 CDI to increase power and mpg. Who has a recommendation and what experience have you had with that chip ?

We do Autologic performance flashes here. They work VERY well 35HP and 88TQ gain

There are a lot of shops in NY that own and use Autologic's.

Not sure about a "chip from ebay" Dodgy
Duncansport
09-26-2014, 01:22 PM #2

(09-26-2014, 01:11 PM)MTUPower There's many chips listed on USA ebay which claim to be for the 2005 CDI to increase power and mpg. Who has a recommendation and what experience have you had with that chip ?

We do Autologic performance flashes here. They work VERY well 35HP and 88TQ gain

There are a lot of shops in NY that own and use Autologic's.

Not sure about a "chip from ebay" Dodgy

MTUPower

09-27-2014, 01:18 PM #3
Here's a couple

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261574939707?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220640200378?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diesel-Chip-Tuni...0378&rt=nc

MTUPower
09-27-2014, 01:18 PM #3

Here's a couple

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261574939707?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220640200378?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diesel-Chip-Tuni...0378&rt=nc

F.R.A.S
Holset

09-28-2014, 03:01 AM #4
Not even one of the listed eBay auctions are chip. Chip is a name for a software flash of the cars ECU. Please stay away from "boxes" they will cause you problems.

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.
F.R.A.S
09-28-2014, 03:01 AM #4

Not even one of the listed eBay auctions are chip. Chip is a name for a software flash of the cars ECU. Please stay away from "boxes" they will cause you problems.

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.

MTUPower

09-28-2014, 07:34 AM #5
^^^^^^^^^^^

could you elaborate? Tell us why? If it's removable and you can change back to stock why would it cause problems?

Thanks!

MTUPower
09-28-2014, 07:34 AM #5

^^^^^^^^^^^

could you elaborate? Tell us why? If it's removable and you can change back to stock why would it cause problems?

Thanks!

Petar
7.5mm M pump

09-28-2014, 08:45 AM #6
Long story short tuning boxes make the ECU overfuel the engine. This makes more power but also causes high EGTs and can damage the engine and the turbo.
Petar
09-28-2014, 08:45 AM #6

Long story short tuning boxes make the ECU overfuel the engine. This makes more power but also causes high EGTs and can damage the engine and the turbo.

Duncansport
Holset

09-28-2014, 12:45 PM #7
Do it correctly, AL tunes usually run 500-700 depending on the shop.
Duncansport
09-28-2014, 12:45 PM #7

Do it correctly, AL tunes usually run 500-700 depending on the shop.

MTUPower

09-28-2014, 03:51 PM #8
(09-28-2014, 08:45 AM)Petar Long story short tuning boxes make the ECU overfuel the engine. This makes more power but also causes high EGTs and can damage the engine and the turbo.

High EGT's take a bit of time to develop with your right foot buried, and it has to stay there over a longer time to cause damage. What is done with the $500-$700 which mitigates that?
BTW folks I'm not trying to make anyone mad or being flippant, and nor am I a noob. My day job is captaining a sportfish with a set of DD's 16V92's rated at 1450HP. I've owned many many diesels and maintained them all myself. It is my first CDI however.
This post was last modified: 09-28-2014, 03:57 PM by MTUPower.

MTUPower
09-28-2014, 03:51 PM #8

(09-28-2014, 08:45 AM)Petar Long story short tuning boxes make the ECU overfuel the engine. This makes more power but also causes high EGTs and can damage the engine and the turbo.

High EGT's take a bit of time to develop with your right foot buried, and it has to stay there over a longer time to cause damage. What is done with the $500-$700 which mitigates that?
BTW folks I'm not trying to make anyone mad or being flippant, and nor am I a noob. My day job is captaining a sportfish with a set of DD's 16V92's rated at 1450HP. I've owned many many diesels and maintained them all myself. It is my first CDI however.

Petar
7.5mm M pump

09-28-2014, 04:03 PM #9
A remap will also increase the available air to burn the fuel by increasing the boost. Tuning boxes only increase the fuel.Remaps can also damage the engine with excessive EGTs but you really have to have your foot to the floor for a long period of time.
Also important is that a tuning box increases the fuel by increasing the rail pressure and that can be stressful on the fuel pump and the injectors.
A good remap will keep the EGTs relatively low.
A tuning box is the equivalent of turning up the full load without touching anything else on mechanically injected diesels.
An EGT gauge is in my opinion a must have on any modified diesel.
Petar
09-28-2014, 04:03 PM #9

A remap will also increase the available air to burn the fuel by increasing the boost. Tuning boxes only increase the fuel.Remaps can also damage the engine with excessive EGTs but you really have to have your foot to the floor for a long period of time.
Also important is that a tuning box increases the fuel by increasing the rail pressure and that can be stressful on the fuel pump and the injectors.
A good remap will keep the EGTs relatively low.
A tuning box is the equivalent of turning up the full load without touching anything else on mechanically injected diesels.
An EGT gauge is in my opinion a must have on any modified diesel.

MTUPower

10-02-2014, 08:23 PM #10
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Helpful- thank you.

I guess the real question is how harmful does the forum know that a tuner box is on the fuel pump and injectors? I won't be planting my right foot deeply often or for long time periods. Used lightly I can't imagine that a tuner box would be very harmful to the engine- and used lightly I won't need a EGT, although having one is always a good idea.

Still looking for experience of those who have a tuner box installed.

MTUPower
10-02-2014, 08:23 PM #10

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Helpful- thank you.

I guess the real question is how harmful does the forum know that a tuner box is on the fuel pump and injectors? I won't be planting my right foot deeply often or for long time periods. Used lightly I can't imagine that a tuner box would be very harmful to the engine- and used lightly I won't need a EGT, although having one is always a good idea.

diesel2fast4u
GT2256V

10-03-2014, 02:35 AM #11
(10-02-2014, 08:23 PM)MTUPower ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Helpful- thank you.

Stay away from tuning boxes, get a good tune and you will be happy

Grand cherokee WK (OM642)
diesel2fast4u
10-03-2014, 02:35 AM #11

(10-02-2014, 08:23 PM)MTUPower ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Helpful- thank you.

Stay away from tuning boxes, get a good tune and you will be happy

MTUPower

10-03-2014, 09:46 PM #12
(10-03-2014, 02:35 AM)diesel2fast4u Stay away from tuning boxes, get a good tune and you will be happy
This advice does not recognize what I said previously. It's generic advice without the reasoning and support needed. No one had said convincingly why a $800 tune is better than a $80 tuner box for light use.
Nearly everything in life takes three things- time, knowledge or money. If you have more of one you need less of the other two. I have less of the third and more of the second- but I'm seeking higher levels of it and if members here have direct experience of using a tuner box and WHY it caused damage I'd love to hear of it. Generic advice is not as much worth as people think it is.

MTUPower
10-03-2014, 09:46 PM #12

(10-03-2014, 02:35 AM)diesel2fast4u Stay away from tuning boxes, get a good tune and you will be happy
This advice does not recognize what I said previously. It's generic advice without the reasoning and support needed. No one had said convincingly why a $800 tune is better than a $80 tuner box for light use.
Nearly everything in life takes three things- time, knowledge or money. If you have more of one you need less of the other two. I have less of the third and more of the second- but I'm seeking higher levels of it and if members here have direct experience of using a tuner box and WHY it caused damage I'd love to hear of it. Generic advice is not as much worth as people think it is.

diesel2fast4u
GT2256V

10-04-2014, 05:40 AM #13
Bad day I guess.

First of all a good tune doesn't cost 800, and a tuning box doesn't cost 80.

A tuningbox is nothing more then a fooler, for example raises the fuel rail pressure and let the ECM think it's lower.

I tried a fueling box years ago on my OM642 (320cdi), paid 350, And I had the car going into limp al the time.

(10-03-2014, 09:46 PM)MTUPower

diesel2fast4u
10-04-2014, 05:40 AM #13

Bad day I guess.

First of all a good tune doesn't cost 800, and a tuning box doesn't cost 80.

A tuningbox is nothing more then a fooler, for example raises the fuel rail pressure and let the ECM think it's lower.

I tried a fueling box years ago on my OM642 (320cdi), paid 350, And I had the car going into limp al the time.

(10-03-2014, 09:46 PM)MTUPower

MTUPower

10-04-2014, 07:36 AM #14
Thank you for the response. One of the tuning boxes I listed is $89- and one of the "flashes" listed by a member is $700- add tax and you are closer to $750. It was a rounding off of simple figures- sorry if it made you angry. I appreciate your understanding of how a box works- "fooler". Long story short it adds fuel; um.... wow, really? You mean adding more fuel means more power? Who that understands anything about diesels does NOT know that? Of course it adds fuel.
Now your direct experience of going into limp mode- that is the advice and experience which is important. This is the only direct experience relayed on this thread so far which tells of actual detrimental actions of adding a tuning box; everything else is anecdotal. Thanks for the direct experience. Petar noted some good points but nothing which anyone who has worked on or modded diesels does not know already. Now who else has had the same results with regards to adding a box and going into limp home mode?
This post was last modified: 10-04-2014, 07:43 AM by MTUPower.

MTUPower
10-04-2014, 07:36 AM #14

Thank you for the response. One of the tuning boxes I listed is $89- and one of the "flashes" listed by a member is $700- add tax and you are closer to $750. It was a rounding off of simple figures- sorry if it made you angry. I appreciate your understanding of how a box works- "fooler". Long story short it adds fuel; um.... wow, really? You mean adding more fuel means more power? Who that understands anything about diesels does NOT know that? Of course it adds fuel.
Now your direct experience of going into limp mode- that is the advice and experience which is important. This is the only direct experience relayed on this thread so far which tells of actual detrimental actions of adding a tuning box; everything else is anecdotal. Thanks for the direct experience. Petar noted some good points but nothing which anyone who has worked on or modded diesels does not know already. Now who else has had the same results with regards to adding a box and going into limp home mode?

F.R.A.S
Holset

10-05-2014, 03:09 PM #15
The "box" is shit for a couple of reasons. Two already stated. They only raise rail pressure and they are common to throw error codes due to this...

A real tune or a chip or what ever you call it will modify not only the quantity of fuel delivered to the engine but also the timing and the boost pressure. EGT or not, a more aggressive timing will give you the same power alone as the tuning box does. Ad some fuel to that and a software that is made for the changes and you'll get a smooth running engine with plenty of power and that does what it's supposed to and will therefore not throw DTCs.

You can run a box if you like but please don't call it a chip, chiptune or tune. It's just a magic trick that makes you look at one hand when the other is making the "magic".

F.R.A.S
10-05-2014, 03:09 PM #15

The "box" is shit for a couple of reasons. Two already stated. They only raise rail pressure and they are common to throw error codes due to this...

A real tune or a chip or what ever you call it will modify not only the quantity of fuel delivered to the engine but also the timing and the boost pressure. EGT or not, a more aggressive timing will give you the same power alone as the tuning box does. Ad some fuel to that and a software that is made for the changes and you'll get a smooth running engine with plenty of power and that does what it's supposed to and will therefore not throw DTCs.

You can run a box if you like but please don't call it a chip, chiptune or tune. It's just a magic trick that makes you look at one hand when the other is making the "magic".

barrote
Superturbo

10-07-2014, 01:32 PM #16
CDI engines hum, hum, Wink ECU reprogram? have u heard about it in there? for a 200€ bill u can have a full reprogram without any problem and with garantie at least in my small country Wink
usually people choose from 2/3 standard types or ask them to write your own, in the end car will behave like 20HP increase.
http://www.pke.pt/index.php?option=com_w...&Itemid=77
http://www.turbotec.pt/mais-potencia/mercedes-benz
it is in portuguese but u can understand the point.
regards

FD,