STD Tuning Engine Buying a used Holset?

Buying a used Holset?

Buying a used Holset?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

hooblah
Holset

09-30-2014, 12:36 PM #1
There's a guy selling a used Holset, the advert claims its an hx40 but the guy then got back to me saying its actually an hx35. He sent me a couple of pics but the identification plate is missing. How can I tell which one it is? Also does this indicate that its a Chinese copy? It has holset cast into it so I'm not sure.

He said the model number is 35 30 521. Does that mean hx35? Google doesn't reveal anything.

Am I correct in assuming the size of the exhaust housing is on the inside of the turbine outlet?

And just to add, it appears to have an 8 blade compressor wheel.

Thanks!
hooblah
09-30-2014, 12:36 PM #1

There's a guy selling a used Holset, the advert claims its an hx40 but the guy then got back to me saying its actually an hx35. He sent me a couple of pics but the identification plate is missing. How can I tell which one it is? Also does this indicate that its a Chinese copy? It has holset cast into it so I'm not sure.

He said the model number is 35 30 521. Does that mean hx35? Google doesn't reveal anything.

Am I correct in assuming the size of the exhaust housing is on the inside of the turbine outlet?

And just to add, it appears to have an 8 blade compressor wheel.

Thanks!

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

10-01-2014, 07:03 AM #2
It's not a copy if it has 'HOLSET' cast into the compressor housing front thats for sure
This post was last modified: 10-01-2014, 07:03 AM by Hario'.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
10-01-2014, 07:03 AM #2

It's not a copy if it has 'HOLSET' cast into the compressor housing front thats for sure

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

hooblah
Holset

10-01-2014, 11:51 AM #3
Thanks Harry but how can you be so sure? If they can copy the turbo then why not make a total replica and pass it off as the real thing?

The missing tag is also a bit suspicious, but I've come across quite a few holsets that are missing the tag. Any idea what that's about?
This post was last modified: 10-01-2014, 11:53 AM by hooblah.
hooblah
10-01-2014, 11:51 AM #3

Thanks Harry but how can you be so sure? If they can copy the turbo then why not make a total replica and pass it off as the real thing?

The missing tag is also a bit suspicious, but I've come across quite a few holsets that are missing the tag. Any idea what that's about?

Eric78
GT2559V

10-02-2014, 06:25 AM #4
(10-01-2014, 11:51 AM)hooblah The missing tag is also a bit suspicious, but I've come across quite a few holsets that are missing the tag. Any idea what that's about?

It's only rivetted on, perhaps it just gets knocked off easy. Most of these Holsets come off trucks, if a truck comes in for service maybe it's just a common practice at service centres to replace turbos altogether instead of rebuilding it, although the turbo is very likely still rebuildable there is probably a requirement for the service centres to remove the tags to write the part off(Especially somewhere where the vagueries of legislation might classify it as part of the emissions system).
This post was last modified: 10-02-2014, 06:27 AM by Eric78.
Eric78
10-02-2014, 06:25 AM #4

(10-01-2014, 11:51 AM)hooblah The missing tag is also a bit suspicious, but I've come across quite a few holsets that are missing the tag. Any idea what that's about?

It's only rivetted on, perhaps it just gets knocked off easy. Most of these Holsets come off trucks, if a truck comes in for service maybe it's just a common practice at service centres to replace turbos altogether instead of rebuilding it, although the turbo is very likely still rebuildable there is probably a requirement for the service centres to remove the tags to write the part off(Especially somewhere where the vagueries of legislation might classify it as part of the emissions system).

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-02-2014, 09:56 AM #5
(10-02-2014, 06:25 AM)Eric78

If it's warranty work they go by the hour job estimates-so a turbo swap is way cheaper than a rebuild when you're paying a tech to do it. No uncommon to just throw another on there (this is why there are "plenty" of small VNTs)

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
10-02-2014, 09:56 AM #5

(10-02-2014, 06:25 AM)Eric78

If it's warranty work they go by the hour job estimates-so a turbo swap is way cheaper than a rebuild when you're paying a tech to do it. No uncommon to just throw another on there (this is why there are "plenty" of small VNTs)

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

hooblah
Holset

10-03-2014, 07:43 PM #6
Sounds plausible.
I've read the holset guide to spotting the differences between the real and fake ones. Two obvious signs would be the webbing in the mwe groove is radiused and the compressor inlet has a machined finish on a real one. They also use a multi point nut on the shaft.

By that reasoning I believe the turbo I'm looking at is a real one. Thanks guys.
hooblah
10-03-2014, 07:43 PM #6

Sounds plausible.
I've read the holset guide to spotting the differences between the real and fake ones. Two obvious signs would be the webbing in the mwe groove is radiused and the compressor inlet has a machined finish on a real one. They also use a multi point nut on the shaft.

By that reasoning I believe the turbo I'm looking at is a real one. Thanks guys.

CRD4x4
CompoundSuperTurboDiesel4x4!

10-04-2014, 08:21 AM #7
The first turbo I ever bought was a freshly rebuilt Garrett T4 twinscroll that was missing its data plate. I still don't know exactly what its off of but its definitely real.
I heard somewhere that some shops remove the data plate when rebuilding turbos.
I'd bet yours is legit too.

'05 Jeep Liberty CRD - 160k
'06.5 VW Jetta TDI - 230k
'82 MB 300TD - 116k (motor going to raysorenson)
'81 MB 300TD - 195k (parting out)
'71 Jeep DJ5 - diesel conversion project
CRD4x4
10-04-2014, 08:21 AM #7

The first turbo I ever bought was a freshly rebuilt Garrett T4 twinscroll that was missing its data plate. I still don't know exactly what its off of but its definitely real.
I heard somewhere that some shops remove the data plate when rebuilding turbos.
I'd bet yours is legit too.

'05 Jeep Liberty CRD - 160k
'06.5 VW Jetta TDI - 230k
'82 MB 300TD - 116k (motor going to raysorenson)
'81 MB 300TD - 195k (parting out)
'71 Jeep DJ5 - diesel conversion project

Eric78
GT2559V

10-04-2014, 11:02 PM #8
The two Holsets I have still have takes but they aren't rebuilt, they were sold as requiring rebuild, it's only simple bearings that need doing.
Eric78
10-04-2014, 11:02 PM #8

The two Holsets I have still have takes but they aren't rebuilt, they were sold as requiring rebuild, it's only simple bearings that need doing.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average