STD Tuning Engine 617 intake manifold idea

617 intake manifold idea

617 intake manifold idea

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

10-01-2014, 12:33 PM #1
Okay guys so we all know the easy to work with and highly desirable w115 (for n/a 617) intake is almost unobtanium. We also know the n/a 617 w123 manifolds are more readily available, however unless you get really creative on the exhaust side of things they won't really clear a turbo. So, I say why not just make a series of cuts on the runners from the top towards the bottom, maybe 95% of the way through, then just bend them into and weld over the cuts? Might have to move the air inlet around some but I don't think what would be too difficult, or you could even chop it up more and weld an a/w intercooler to it and not feel bad about cannibalizing a w115 manifold. Just a thought anyway

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
10-01-2014, 12:33 PM #1

Okay guys so we all know the easy to work with and highly desirable w115 (for n/a 617) intake is almost unobtanium. We also know the n/a 617 w123 manifolds are more readily available, however unless you get really creative on the exhaust side of things they won't really clear a turbo. So, I say why not just make a series of cuts on the runners from the top towards the bottom, maybe 95% of the way through, then just bend them into and weld over the cuts? Might have to move the air inlet around some but I don't think what would be too difficult, or you could even chop it up more and weld an a/w intercooler to it and not feel bad about cannibalizing a w115 manifold. Just a thought anyway

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

10-01-2014, 01:50 PM #2
Definitely possible, although you're probably easier offsetting the turbo.

FWIW, I tried to bend a NA w123 manifold with a come-along and an oxy torch, it didn't budge.

The w123 NA is better than the 115 in my opinion-it's a straight shot to the head. You've just got to relocate the turbo, and welding steel is way easier.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
10-01-2014, 01:50 PM #2

Definitely possible, although you're probably easier offsetting the turbo.

FWIW, I tried to bend a NA w123 manifold with a come-along and an oxy torch, it didn't budge.

The w123 NA is better than the 115 in my opinion-it's a straight shot to the head. You've just got to relocate the turbo, and welding steel is way easier.

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average