STD Tuning Engine My 190e 16v could be getting the OM606 treatment

My 190e 16v could be getting the OM606 treatment

My 190e 16v could be getting the OM606 treatment

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Phil86
Naturally-aspirated

10-27-2014, 01:33 PM #1
Hi guys, I have the engine in my 2.3L 16v pulled to bits at the minute, nad ive just found the borewash in the bottom end may be just way too expensive to repair, so now im considering selling my freshly rebuild head, and all new timing gear and many other parts which will give me enough to fund an OM606 swap, would be happy with a reliable 250-300bhp.

However, i need a definitive list of what i will need, or what is compatible.

what i have is an 88 2.3 16v cosworth with Dogleg manual getrag, and ASD.

Id probably buy a complete e300turbo diesel to rip parts from.

Questions:
Will my 16v flywheel/clutch/pressure plate link straight up to the om606 block?

do the w201 mounts join straight to the om606 block and leave it in a factory position?

Do i need to change to m103 slam panel (radiator mounts), or is the 16v the same?

Do the standard wires to sensors such as oil level, coolant temp connect straight on, or is it cutnshut?

Do i use the original petrol fuel tank?

Do i bin the fuel pump and run solid line all the way to High pressure IP?

Will the standard turbo & Manifold fit into the w201? With only the need to fabricate a downpipe to navigate the steering box? Or is an aftermarket manifold required?

What other items do i need on the shopping list?
OM606 engine (complete)
OM603 pump
Fabricated exhaust
Front mount intercooler

Many thanks
Phil86
10-27-2014, 01:33 PM #1

Hi guys, I have the engine in my 2.3L 16v pulled to bits at the minute, nad ive just found the borewash in the bottom end may be just way too expensive to repair, so now im considering selling my freshly rebuild head, and all new timing gear and many other parts which will give me enough to fund an OM606 swap, would be happy with a reliable 250-300bhp.

However, i need a definitive list of what i will need, or what is compatible.

what i have is an 88 2.3 16v cosworth with Dogleg manual getrag, and ASD.

Id probably buy a complete e300turbo diesel to rip parts from.

Questions:
Will my 16v flywheel/clutch/pressure plate link straight up to the om606 block?

do the w201 mounts join straight to the om606 block and leave it in a factory position?

Do i need to change to m103 slam panel (radiator mounts), or is the 16v the same?

Do the standard wires to sensors such as oil level, coolant temp connect straight on, or is it cutnshut?

Do i use the original petrol fuel tank?

Do i bin the fuel pump and run solid line all the way to High pressure IP?

Will the standard turbo & Manifold fit into the w201? With only the need to fabricate a downpipe to navigate the steering box? Or is an aftermarket manifold required?

What other items do i need on the shopping list?
OM606 engine (complete)
OM603 pump
Fabricated exhaust
Front mount intercooler

Many thanks

Duncansport
Holset

10-27-2014, 02:17 PM #2
1-yep

2-yes, not very strong, also you'll need different engine mount brackets

3-You can make it work

4- most are the same, you'll need to be creative to make the a/c, tach, cruise and such all work

5-sure, new screen and unless your going to get a big pump you can ditch the electric pump and use the mechanical pump on the IP.

6-Just run a hose from the tank to the old pump outlet line and atach to the lift pump on the IP. No electric needed

7- If your going though this you'll for sure have no issue making the OE manifolds and turbo work out.

Just my thoughts here.. this is no small project. And the 16V is a special car. You can fix your M102 for what you'll spend getting a pump and engine and fiddling with the swap.. I had my OM605 sleeved and honed for around $400...
Duncansport
10-27-2014, 02:17 PM #2

1-yep

2-yes, not very strong, also you'll need different engine mount brackets

3-You can make it work

4- most are the same, you'll need to be creative to make the a/c, tach, cruise and such all work

5-sure, new screen and unless your going to get a big pump you can ditch the electric pump and use the mechanical pump on the IP.

6-Just run a hose from the tank to the old pump outlet line and atach to the lift pump on the IP. No electric needed

7- If your going though this you'll for sure have no issue making the OE manifolds and turbo work out.

Just my thoughts here.. this is no small project. And the 16V is a special car. You can fix your M102 for what you'll spend getting a pump and engine and fiddling with the swap.. I had my OM605 sleeved and honed for around $400...

hooblah
Holset

10-27-2014, 06:43 PM #3
This conversion isn't as easy as it sounds. Ask me how I know Big Grin

You need to convert to steering rack as the box is in the way of the downpipe on a RHD car.

The engine will need to sit as far back as possible to accommodate the rad, fan and intercooler. The engine will also sit too high, preventing the bonnet from closing. This means custom mounts, shortened prop, shortened gear linkages. Depending on what gearbox you use, the tunnel might need modification when the engine is as far back as possible.

The sump won't clear the crossmember and ARB. Modify the sump or crossmember, find a new ARB that fits.

Probably some other stuff as well but can't quite remember off the top of my head. Hope that helps.
hooblah
10-27-2014, 06:43 PM #3

This conversion isn't as easy as it sounds. Ask me how I know Big Grin

You need to convert to steering rack as the box is in the way of the downpipe on a RHD car.

The engine will need to sit as far back as possible to accommodate the rad, fan and intercooler. The engine will also sit too high, preventing the bonnet from closing. This means custom mounts, shortened prop, shortened gear linkages. Depending on what gearbox you use, the tunnel might need modification when the engine is as far back as possible.

The sump won't clear the crossmember and ARB. Modify the sump or crossmember, find a new ARB that fits.

Probably some other stuff as well but can't quite remember off the top of my head. Hope that helps.

raysorenson
Superturbo

10-27-2014, 08:27 PM #4
Yeah, count on dumping the A/C if you use an A/A intercooler. The diff ratio will be too short. Swapping to a taller gear will require a new ring gear carrier and I'm sure you'll want it to be an LSD carrier. Weight distribution would be Audi-like. The whole thing would be a sin considering how cool those cars are.

A 5 cyl diesel would be easier. A 4 cylinder gasburner swap would be best if the M102 can't be saved.
raysorenson
10-27-2014, 08:27 PM #4

Yeah, count on dumping the A/C if you use an A/A intercooler. The diff ratio will be too short. Swapping to a taller gear will require a new ring gear carrier and I'm sure you'll want it to be an LSD carrier. Weight distribution would be Audi-like. The whole thing would be a sin considering how cool those cars are.

A 5 cyl diesel would be easier. A 4 cylinder gasburner swap would be best if the M102 can't be saved.

EmJay
Holset

10-27-2014, 08:44 PM #5
Im in a similar position bro. My 16v is running, but the CIS crapped on me and the EFI swap isn't going as smoothly as I hoped. I'm considering a OM602 for mine though

1987 Mazda B2200 "outlaw" **planning phase**  Chevy 283, Power Pack heads, Edelbrock carb and intake, turbo 350 trans Smile
1985 Mercedes 300D stock for now
EmJay
10-27-2014, 08:44 PM #5

Im in a similar position bro. My 16v is running, but the CIS crapped on me and the EFI swap isn't going as smoothly as I hoped. I'm considering a OM602 for mine though

1987 Mazda B2200 "outlaw" **planning phase**  Chevy 283, Power Pack heads, Edelbrock carb and intake, turbo 350 trans Smile
1985 Mercedes 300D stock for now

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average