STD Tuning Engine Marine OM605

Marine OM605

Marine OM605

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

10mpg
Naturally-aspirated

01-29-2015, 10:54 AM #1
Hi, My name's ed I'm new on here and my project is probably a bit different to most..

it's a 20ft Picton powerboat that is hopefully getting an OM605.

[Image: Piacton_zps2d2f06f4.jpg]

Marine parts are crazy money for what is dreadful old tech equipment. The typical engine for my boat is a 3.0 straight four pushrod GMC truck engine, or a similarly archaic 4.3 V6 boats need torque and the ability to sit at sustained load, hence the use of old tech understressed engines, but at 2.5 for a recon unit they are very very pricey for something that has been produced for essentially five decades..

A quality turbo diesel seems the ideal solution loads of torque no explosive fumes to collect in the bilge and the ability to run on cheaper fuel (and to more miles for each litre)

Not many engines fit the bill, i needed 120bhp good grunt, the ability to run on a manual injection pump and preferably a crossflow head design for ease of constructing a water cooled manifold. Colling will be by a heat exchanger keeping the engine running as it should on proper anitfreeze'd coolant..

i will be needing plenty of help along the way and i was told there's no better place for help on these engines than here!

thats me, any critisism or comments welcome!
10mpg
01-29-2015, 10:54 AM #1

Hi, My name's ed I'm new on here and my project is probably a bit different to most..

it's a 20ft Picton powerboat that is hopefully getting an OM605.

[Image: Piacton_zps2d2f06f4.jpg]

Marine parts are crazy money for what is dreadful old tech equipment. The typical engine for my boat is a 3.0 straight four pushrod GMC truck engine, or a similarly archaic 4.3 V6 boats need torque and the ability to sit at sustained load, hence the use of old tech understressed engines, but at 2.5 for a recon unit they are very very pricey for something that has been produced for essentially five decades..

A quality turbo diesel seems the ideal solution loads of torque no explosive fumes to collect in the bilge and the ability to run on cheaper fuel (and to more miles for each litre)

Not many engines fit the bill, i needed 120bhp good grunt, the ability to run on a manual injection pump and preferably a crossflow head design for ease of constructing a water cooled manifold. Colling will be by a heat exchanger keeping the engine running as it should on proper anitfreeze'd coolant..

i will be needing plenty of help along the way and i was told there's no better place for help on these engines than here!

thats me, any critisism or comments welcome!

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

01-29-2015, 11:16 AM #2
And marine mechanics are just truck mechanics that charge twice as much!

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
01-29-2015, 11:16 AM #2

And marine mechanics are just truck mechanics that charge twice as much!

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

HughF_UK
GT2256V

01-29-2015, 11:32 AM #3
You don't need a water cooled manifold, just good engine bay ventilation... Stock manifold and turbo, a bowman for heat exchanger cooling, one of those aluminium charge coolers off ebay for charge air. Is this on shaft or a drive?

Done a few marine conversion, 1.7 isuzu then mechanically pumped ford tddi 2.0 with om606 turbo's on volvo drives.

Excuse rubbish photo but attached is the marinised mondeo tddi

(01-29-2015, 10:54 AM)10mpg hence the use of old tech understressed engines

They use old understressed engines because the design engineers are bone idle and can get away with selling old crap with no emisions controls.

Some designs are advance, but nearly always in the outboard world (or bigger diesels)
This post was last modified: 01-29-2015, 11:38 AM by HughF_UK.
Attached Files
Image(s)

HughF_UK
01-29-2015, 11:32 AM #3

You don't need a water cooled manifold, just good engine bay ventilation... Stock manifold and turbo, a bowman for heat exchanger cooling, one of those aluminium charge coolers off ebay for charge air. Is this on shaft or a drive?

Done a few marine conversion, 1.7 isuzu then mechanically pumped ford tddi 2.0 with om606 turbo's on volvo drives.

Excuse rubbish photo but attached is the marinised mondeo tddi

(01-29-2015, 10:54 AM)10mpg hence the use of old tech understressed engines

They use old understressed engines because the design engineers are bone idle and can get away with selling old crap with no emisions controls.

Some designs are advance, but nearly always in the outboard world (or bigger diesels)

Attached Files
Image(s)

10mpg
Naturally-aspirated

01-29-2015, 11:38 AM #4
Really? That's great news if so, i was dreading building the manifold, as I was unsure how to prevent cracking from the high differential temperatures beween the jacket areas.. I run my own engineering/mechanic buisness building all kinds of cars and engines so I'm very happy with engines and fabrication but I'm new to boats so wary of doing anything 'different'..

A Bowman cooler was on the list and it's on a Mercruiser Alpha 1 gen 2 leg with 1.50 gears, Merc apparently were happy with up to 140 'diesel' horses through this drive so I should be fine, but if not or i need much more power I'll upgrade to a Bravo..

It seems the 605 has been sourced, so it's 'game on' now..

Big Grin
This post was last modified: 01-29-2015, 11:39 AM by 10mpg.
10mpg
01-29-2015, 11:38 AM #4

Really? That's great news if so, i was dreading building the manifold, as I was unsure how to prevent cracking from the high differential temperatures beween the jacket areas.. I run my own engineering/mechanic buisness building all kinds of cars and engines so I'm very happy with engines and fabrication but I'm new to boats so wary of doing anything 'different'..

A Bowman cooler was on the list and it's on a Mercruiser Alpha 1 gen 2 leg with 1.50 gears, Merc apparently were happy with up to 140 'diesel' horses through this drive so I should be fine, but if not or i need much more power I'll upgrade to a Bravo..

It seems the 605 has been sourced, so it's 'game on' now..

Big Grin

HughF_UK
GT2256V

01-29-2015, 11:40 AM #5
Jabsco required as well or tap into the pump in the leg (cheaper)

I've got a video of these tddi's running at full power (3600rpm, 27kts), somewhere.
This post was last modified: 01-29-2015, 11:47 AM by HughF_UK.
HughF_UK
01-29-2015, 11:40 AM #5

Jabsco required as well or tap into the pump in the leg (cheaper)

I've got a video of these tddi's running at full power (3600rpm, 27kts), somewhere.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average