STD Tuning Engine OM603 N/A head on turbo engine

OM603 N/A head on turbo engine

OM603 N/A head on turbo engine

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mirza26
Naturally-aspirated

02-03-2015, 03:04 AM #1
Hi guys!

I have one OM 603 turbo engine with cracked head.Can i put NA head on this engine becouse i cant find any turbo head.Only NA heads
This post was last modified: 02-03-2015, 03:06 AM by mirza26.
mirza26
02-03-2015, 03:04 AM #1

Hi guys!

I have one OM 603 turbo engine with cracked head.Can i put NA head on this engine becouse i cant find any turbo head.Only NA heads

02-03-2015, 04:36 AM #2
Yes. According to factory manual valves are same size. But take Turbo valves, they are natrium filled for cooling. And Turbo-Prechambers are 1mm bigger in diameter and have bigger internal volume. If you are going to fit turbo prechambers, the hole in the head needs reaming out to size. it's 14mm n/a, 15mm Turbo.

People have succesfully done this. But I would not expect n/a head to last as long as Turbo head. Turbo head has reinforced water passages and thicker deck to withstand higher thermal stresses of Turbocharging.

Maybe adding a intercooler is a good idea. I'm in same situation as you - I'm going to fit an intercooler with or without Turbo cylinder head.

[Image: om_ventile.jpg]

[Image: vorkammer_om603_wis.jpg]

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
02-03-2015, 04:36 AM #2

Yes. According to factory manual valves are same size. But take Turbo valves, they are natrium filled for cooling. And Turbo-Prechambers are 1mm bigger in diameter and have bigger internal volume. If you are going to fit turbo prechambers, the hole in the head needs reaming out to size. it's 14mm n/a, 15mm Turbo.

People have succesfully done this. But I would not expect n/a head to last as long as Turbo head. Turbo head has reinforced water passages and thicker deck to withstand higher thermal stresses of Turbocharging.

Maybe adding a intercooler is a good idea. I'm in same situation as you - I'm going to fit an intercooler with or without Turbo cylinder head.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603

mirza26
Naturally-aspirated

02-03-2015, 03:25 PM #3
(02-03-2015, 04:36 AM)DiseaselWeasel Yes. According to factory manual valves are same size. But take Turbo valves, they are natrium filled for cooling. And Turbo-Prechambers are 1mm bigger in diameter and have bigger internal volume. If you are going to fit turbo prechambers, the hole in the head needs reaming out to size. it's 14mm n/a, 15mm Turbo.

Tnx for info!Shy
mirza26
02-03-2015, 03:25 PM #3

(02-03-2015, 04:36 AM)DiseaselWeasel Yes. According to factory manual valves are same size. But take Turbo valves, they are natrium filled for cooling. And Turbo-Prechambers are 1mm bigger in diameter and have bigger internal volume. If you are going to fit turbo prechambers, the hole in the head needs reaming out to size. it's 14mm n/a, 15mm Turbo.

Tnx for info!Shy

rider080
Unregistered

04-02-2015, 12:14 PM #4
(02-03-2015, 03:04 AM)mirza26 Hi guys!

Hello, mirza26

So did you installed NA head?
I`m in same situation.
Found good deal for NA head.
But still thinking, not sure for 100%
Someone tells its ok, someone tells it will not work because of cooling.
rider080
04-02-2015, 12:14 PM #4

(02-03-2015, 03:04 AM)mirza26 Hi guys!

Hello, mirza26

So did you installed NA head?
I`m in same situation.
Found good deal for NA head.
But still thinking, not sure for 100%
Someone tells its ok, someone tells it will not work because of cooling.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average