STD Tuning Engine OM 617 Drip Timing

OM 617 Drip Timing

OM 617 Drip Timing

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

zeeman
Holset

02-06-2015, 02:56 PM #1
After trying all the methods for IP pump timing on the OM 617, I have found the drip method seems to be the easiest and most accurate.

The only problem is keeping the fuel flow constant while counting the drips and the actual watching a second hand on a watch timing the drips. This is especially hard for us old farts that can't see that well to start with.

I found a old Mercedes tool that keeps a constant flow of fuel flowing by gravity that attaches to the fuel inlet on the IP pump, which could be made from anything and attached with a banjo fitting. Just needs to be above the IP to gravity flow.

I then found an audio second timer for photo darkrooms, that beeps on the seconds count, so you can watch the drips and listen to the beeps and adjust the timing on the pump. Works pretty cool, and very accurate.
Attached Files
Image(s)

zeeman
02-06-2015, 02:56 PM #1

After trying all the methods for IP pump timing on the OM 617, I have found the drip method seems to be the easiest and most accurate.

The only problem is keeping the fuel flow constant while counting the drips and the actual watching a second hand on a watch timing the drips. This is especially hard for us old farts that can't see that well to start with.

I found a old Mercedes tool that keeps a constant flow of fuel flowing by gravity that attaches to the fuel inlet on the IP pump, which could be made from anything and attached with a banjo fitting. Just needs to be above the IP to gravity flow.

I then found an audio second timer for photo darkrooms, that beeps on the seconds count, so you can watch the drips and listen to the beeps and adjust the timing on the pump. Works pretty cool, and very accurate.

Attached Files
Image(s)

Torkey
Dirty Diesel

02-06-2015, 02:58 PM #2
(02-06-2015, 02:56 PM)zeeman After trying all the methods for IP pump timing on the OM 617, I have found the drip method seems to be the easiest and most accurate.

That is awesome. Where did you find out about the Mercedes tool?

79 300CD
82 300SD
Dirty Little Freaks Racing
Torkey
02-06-2015, 02:58 PM #2

(02-06-2015, 02:56 PM)zeeman After trying all the methods for IP pump timing on the OM 617, I have found the drip method seems to be the easiest and most accurate.

79 300CD
82 300SD

zeeman
Holset

02-06-2015, 03:04 PM #3
(02-06-2015, 02:58 PM)Torkey

Found it on E-bay. Lucky find
zeeman
02-06-2015, 03:04 PM #3

(02-06-2015, 02:58 PM)Torkey

Found it on E-bay. Lucky find

Torkey
Dirty Diesel

02-06-2015, 07:00 PM #4
My only concern with this method would be if the set up creates enough fuel pressure to accurately set the timing.
Seems to me the hand pump creates some significant PSI.
I've got lots of spare parts lying around. Next time I set the timing I might compare the two methods and see if they have similar results.

79 300CD
82 300SD
Torkey
02-06-2015, 07:00 PM #4

My only concern with this method would be if the set up creates enough fuel pressure to accurately set the timing.
Seems to me the hand pump creates some significant PSI.
I've got lots of spare parts lying around. Next time I set the timing I might compare the two methods and see if they have similar results.

79 300CD
82 300SD

barrote
Superturbo

02-07-2015, 06:01 PM #5
hello fine people,
whats wrong with the light device? as far as i know it can time everithing that u can plug the injector pick up on , (opening wave)
not familiar with 61X series
regards

FD,