STD Tuning Engine W210 OM606 mechanical pump conversion

W210 OM606 mechanical pump conversion

W210 OM606 mechanical pump conversion

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Matej
GT2256V

02-06-2015, 05:24 PM #1
Hello gentlemen,
This may have been asked on here before, in which case I apologize for not finding it. I am curious how painful it would be to convert the OM606 in a 1996-99 E300 to a mechanical pump.

Is the process the same as for any other application, or would it pose an electronic nightmare?
I am already familiar with the mechanical aspect of the conversion, my main concerns are regarding whether the car will start and run, or if the ECU will say no.

If anyone on here has performed this feat, I will greatly appreciate any input.
Thank you.

Irony.cc
Matej
02-06-2015, 05:24 PM #1

Hello gentlemen,
This may have been asked on here before, in which case I apologize for not finding it. I am curious how painful it would be to convert the OM606 in a 1996-99 E300 to a mechanical pump.

Is the process the same as for any other application, or would it pose an electronic nightmare?
I am already familiar with the mechanical aspect of the conversion, my main concerns are regarding whether the car will start and run, or if the ECU will say no.

If anyone on here has performed this feat, I will greatly appreciate any input.
Thank you.

Irony.cc

AlanMcR
mind - blown

02-06-2015, 07:06 PM #2
With mechanical pump you won't have an ECU. If you want to use the 5 speed automatic (722.6) you would have to replace the transmission controller with a stand-alone unit. Also, the instrument cluster gets a fair amount of its information from the ECU.
Better to get the existing pump upgraded along with an ECU reprogramming.
AlanMcR
02-06-2015, 07:06 PM #2

With mechanical pump you won't have an ECU. If you want to use the 5 speed automatic (722.6) you would have to replace the transmission controller with a stand-alone unit. Also, the instrument cluster gets a fair amount of its information from the ECU.
Better to get the existing pump upgraded along with an ECU reprogramming.

Matej
GT2256V

02-06-2015, 10:36 PM #3
Actually, the car will also be manual swapped at the same time, if that makes a difference.
I am aware the ECU is not necessary to control the motor anymore once the pump is swapped, but I assume it is still needed for other functions such as cluster readouts.
The only electronics I need to work are the gauges, lights, starter, glow plugs, and windshield wiper. If those could retain their function, that would be wonderful.

Irony.cc
Matej
02-06-2015, 10:36 PM #3

Actually, the car will also be manual swapped at the same time, if that makes a difference.
I am aware the ECU is not necessary to control the motor anymore once the pump is swapped, but I assume it is still needed for other functions such as cluster readouts.
The only electronics I need to work are the gauges, lights, starter, glow plugs, and windshield wiper. If those could retain their function, that would be wonderful.

Irony.cc

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

02-10-2015, 10:53 AM #4
You could leave the EDC from the pump connected to the ECu but with the ECU unplugged from the 722.6 it won't give you some dash functions.. Taking the bulbs out of the offending warning lights would fix that though..

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
02-10-2015, 10:53 AM #4

You could leave the EDC from the pump connected to the ECu but with the ECU unplugged from the 722.6 it won't give you some dash functions.. Taking the bulbs out of the offending warning lights would fix that though..

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average