STD Other Projects W124 OM606 STD in California

W124 OM606 STD in California

W124 OM606 STD in California

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next
Mr_Robs
GT2256V

09-22-2015, 09:59 AM #51
(09-18-2015, 09:14 AM)hooblah Hey I got directed here by Harry.
Correct me if im wrong Jon but If I remember correctly it was around $60 or so in import tax and fees. No broker was involved, he turned up with a pickup and they helped load it on. The paperwork was signed and the money paid, then he was on his way Smile

Btw Jon I haven't forgotten about that engine cover. Will send one over when I can find one that's sensibly priced lol. 

Yep exactly. I showed up at the airport, said im here for my engine. Lady behind the desk looked through her book for find what tax bracket it was under. 2.5% duty fees, yep paid that with cash (or check). Said they will have it ready for you at the loading dock over yonder in about 30 mins, go there, sign some more papers, get a truck, load it on with the forklift and almost drop it/ruin the truck because the worker was a dipshit. Done Smile

All in all, easy process through my airports freight section. SFO is pretty on the ball with stuff though so i cant speak for how it would be at a smaller airport (maybe even easier??)

Thanks Amar Smile
It is much appreciated!    

(09-18-2015, 09:18 AM)Hario Robs what about smog issues then? Just gona bribe officials like we all do('nt)?

No smog for pre 98 diesels Wink

(09-18-2015, 12:13 PM)97e300 In California, diesels before 98 are smog exempt. So buy a w124 diesel and throw a blown hemi for all the dmv cares.

Exactly! I'm a huge mopar fan but i see too many good diesel cars get a boring 2jz or some bonkers gas motor. Hopefully my hx40 build will change some peoples minds about diesel.
Mr_Robs
09-22-2015, 09:59 AM #51

(09-18-2015, 09:14 AM)hooblah Hey I got directed here by Harry.
Correct me if im wrong Jon but If I remember correctly it was around $60 or so in import tax and fees. No broker was involved, he turned up with a pickup and they helped load it on. The paperwork was signed and the money paid, then he was on his way Smile

Btw Jon I haven't forgotten about that engine cover. Will send one over when I can find one that's sensibly priced lol. 

Yep exactly. I showed up at the airport, said im here for my engine. Lady behind the desk looked through her book for find what tax bracket it was under. 2.5% duty fees, yep paid that with cash (or check). Said they will have it ready for you at the loading dock over yonder in about 30 mins, go there, sign some more papers, get a truck, load it on with the forklift and almost drop it/ruin the truck because the worker was a dipshit. Done Smile

All in all, easy process through my airports freight section. SFO is pretty on the ball with stuff though so i cant speak for how it would be at a smaller airport (maybe even easier??)

Thanks Amar Smile
It is much appreciated!    

(09-18-2015, 09:18 AM)Hario Robs what about smog issues then? Just gona bribe officials like we all do('nt)?

No smog for pre 98 diesels Wink

(09-18-2015, 12:13 PM)97e300 In California, diesels before 98 are smog exempt. So buy a w124 diesel and throw a blown hemi for all the dmv cares.

Exactly! I'm a huge mopar fan but i see too many good diesel cars get a boring 2jz or some bonkers gas motor. Hopefully my hx40 build will change some peoples minds about diesel.

09-22-2015, 04:14 PM #52
I think VW has changed a lot of minds about diesel lately Big Grin Big Grin

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
09-22-2015, 04:14 PM #52

I think VW has changed a lot of minds about diesel lately Big Grin Big Grin

Mr_Robs
GT2256V

11-15-2015, 10:45 PM #53
Been a while since i posted an updated. Still super slow moving here guys. Got my engines to the workshop with some help from a friend but not much has happened since then. Ive been having a bitch of a time trying to pull the pre chambers, going to have another crack at it this week, if not ill just have the machine shop do it when i send the head out.

[Image: IMG_5405.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5406.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5407.jpg]

Got an EGR delete pipe from another STD member since im running stock intake manifold for now.

[Image: IMG_5643.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5538.jpg]

Car is still at the house and work has been slow/rough so motivation is low. Hopefully i can post some real progress here before christmas time.
Mr_Robs
11-15-2015, 10:45 PM #53

Been a while since i posted an updated. Still super slow moving here guys. Got my engines to the workshop with some help from a friend but not much has happened since then. Ive been having a bitch of a time trying to pull the pre chambers, going to have another crack at it this week, if not ill just have the machine shop do it when i send the head out.

[Image: IMG_5405.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5406.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5407.jpg]

Got an EGR delete pipe from another STD member since im running stock intake manifold for now.

[Image: IMG_5643.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5538.jpg]

Car is still at the house and work has been slow/rough so motivation is low. Hopefully i can post some real progress here before christmas time.

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

11-17-2015, 10:21 AM #54
Sweet! Did you ratchet strap tyres to the sumps in case the engine stands fail? lol

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
11-17-2015, 10:21 AM #54

Sweet! Did you ratchet strap tyres to the sumps in case the engine stands fail? lol

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

Mr_Robs
GT2256V

11-17-2015, 03:47 PM #55
(11-17-2015, 10:21 AM)Hario Sweet! Did you ratchet strap tyres to the sumps in case the engine stands fail? lol

Haha no that was actually to load them in the truck off the stands. After unloading everything and putting them back on the stands i just left the tyres attached for a day or so out of laziness!

Though i will say, one of the stands im borrowing from a friend is not liking the long heavy 606... it leans...a bit much.  Confused
Mr_Robs
11-17-2015, 03:47 PM #55

(11-17-2015, 10:21 AM)Hario Sweet! Did you ratchet strap tyres to the sumps in case the engine stands fail? lol

Haha no that was actually to load them in the truck off the stands. After unloading everything and putting them back on the stands i just left the tyres attached for a day or so out of laziness!

Though i will say, one of the stands im borrowing from a friend is not liking the long heavy 606... it leans...a bit much.  Confused

Mr_Robs
GT2256V

12-27-2015, 10:28 PM #56
So i finally got the cylinder head off the NA block, holy shit those head bolts were fucking torqued down. I used a 4 ft breaker bar and still almost knocked the engine stand over.

[Image: IMG_6114.jpg]

You can see in the bottom right corner were there was a break in the head gasket. I was slowly leaking coolant for a couple of months before i took the car off the road.

The head is all boxed up and ready to be dropped off at the machine shop tomorrow. I took the multi spline lock rings out but could not get the pre chambers out no matter how hard i tried. Its pretty cold in the shop this time of year and with it being even more difficult with the head off the block i figured id just give the tool and the head to the pros at the machine shop.

[Image: IMG_6110.jpg]

(i put the cam carrier/lifters & tool in the box after this picture)

Also taking up my time and money is this 5th gen golf i purchased for a daily driver. My MX5 just was not fun to drive and break shit on every day so i picked this up not running for $4,000. Original owner, 80k miles. About $1000 later with a new trigger wheel, crank position sensor, battery and clutch/flywheel combo its running great. The previous owners old shop really fucked up badly and installed the wrong flywheel in the car and caused a ton of problems.

I thin it looks good with my W211 E500 wheels (intended for the W124 originally). It has nice performance parts already and might get turbo'd in the future Wink

[Image: IMG_6626.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5916.jpg]

Hoping to make some serious progress on the merc in January as its been over a year now since i parked the car. Hopefully ill have some more regular updates here now.
Mr_Robs
12-27-2015, 10:28 PM #56

So i finally got the cylinder head off the NA block, holy shit those head bolts were fucking torqued down. I used a 4 ft breaker bar and still almost knocked the engine stand over.

[Image: IMG_6114.jpg]

You can see in the bottom right corner were there was a break in the head gasket. I was slowly leaking coolant for a couple of months before i took the car off the road.

The head is all boxed up and ready to be dropped off at the machine shop tomorrow. I took the multi spline lock rings out but could not get the pre chambers out no matter how hard i tried. Its pretty cold in the shop this time of year and with it being even more difficult with the head off the block i figured id just give the tool and the head to the pros at the machine shop.

[Image: IMG_6110.jpg]

(i put the cam carrier/lifters & tool in the box after this picture)

Also taking up my time and money is this 5th gen golf i purchased for a daily driver. My MX5 just was not fun to drive and break shit on every day so i picked this up not running for $4,000. Original owner, 80k miles. About $1000 later with a new trigger wheel, crank position sensor, battery and clutch/flywheel combo its running great. The previous owners old shop really fucked up badly and installed the wrong flywheel in the car and caused a ton of problems.

I thin it looks good with my W211 E500 wheels (intended for the W124 originally). It has nice performance parts already and might get turbo'd in the future Wink

[Image: IMG_6626.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5916.jpg]

Hoping to make some serious progress on the merc in January as its been over a year now since i parked the car. Hopefully ill have some more regular updates here now.

Mr_Robs
GT2256V

01-17-2016, 02:53 PM #57
Got my head back from the machine shop! KMcams valve springs fitted, new valve guides, and an immense amount of cleaning. The head was slightly warped in the rear corner where my head gasket was leaking. All the valves were straight and well, now its just time for re assembly.

[Image: IMG_7111.jpg]

I need to clean the turbo block next, this is after one round of degreaser and some light scrubbing. Next ill take off the oil pan (swapping to NA pan for my W124 chassis) and take off the water pump, mask everything off and get a fresh coat of black paint on it.

[Image: IMG_7112.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7113.jpg]

Also need to get me a nice M103 filter housing & volvo sandwich plate to be as cool as FRAS's Wink
[Image: IMG_7114_1.jpg]
Mr_Robs
01-17-2016, 02:53 PM #57

Got my head back from the machine shop! KMcams valve springs fitted, new valve guides, and an immense amount of cleaning. The head was slightly warped in the rear corner where my head gasket was leaking. All the valves were straight and well, now its just time for re assembly.

[Image: IMG_7111.jpg]

I need to clean the turbo block next, this is after one round of degreaser and some light scrubbing. Next ill take off the oil pan (swapping to NA pan for my W124 chassis) and take off the water pump, mask everything off and get a fresh coat of black paint on it.

[Image: IMG_7112.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7113.jpg]

Also need to get me a nice M103 filter housing & volvo sandwich plate to be as cool as FRAS's Wink
[Image: IMG_7114_1.jpg]

sorin_cel
5fingers on a hand, 5cylinders block

01-19-2016, 01:43 PM #58
it has to be appreciated the fact that  you are buying all the parts from europe, which is not around the corner. Looks like you are putting some effort to get that project done. keep up the good work! Smile
sorin_cel
01-19-2016, 01:43 PM #58

it has to be appreciated the fact that  you are buying all the parts from europe, which is not around the corner. Looks like you are putting some effort to get that project done. keep up the good work! Smile

Mr_Robs
GT2256V

01-20-2016, 12:02 AM #59
(01-19-2016, 01:43 PM)sorin_cel it has to be appreciated the fact that  you are buying all the parts from europe, which is not around the corner. Looks like you are putting some effort to get that project done. keep up the good work! Smile

Thanks! I'm definitely not cutting any corners with this build. Do it once and do it right is the best way, outside of the guys on this forum americans are very behind on understanding diesels properly when it comes to tuning!
Mr_Robs
01-20-2016, 12:02 AM #59

(01-19-2016, 01:43 PM)sorin_cel it has to be appreciated the fact that  you are buying all the parts from europe, which is not around the corner. Looks like you are putting some effort to get that project done. keep up the good work! Smile

Thanks! I'm definitely not cutting any corners with this build. Do it once and do it right is the best way, outside of the guys on this forum americans are very behind on understanding diesels properly when it comes to tuning!

Lucian189
Naturally-aspirated

01-28-2016, 04:28 PM #60
I like where this is going!keep up!
Lucian189
01-28-2016, 04:28 PM #60

I like where this is going!keep up!

Mr_Robs
GT2256V

02-18-2016, 02:28 PM #61
Another progress update!

Got my injectors back from Greazzer, talk about A+ service. Very communicative through the whole process, huge insight into the condition of my injectors and they came back great. He even offered to service a spare injector of mine for free because the threads on one were messed up! If you need injectors worked on in the USA you must talk to Mark.
[Image: IMG_7389.jpg]

Got the accessories, head and random extras stripped from the turbo engine to paint it.
[Image: IMG_7784.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7782.jpg]

A bit messy taking off the pan, and i managed to drop it in the oil catch pan. Nothing smells more horrible than year old diesel oil, barf.

All masked up ready for some primer & paint! Kind of derped on the timing cover, i was planning to use the NA one because of the NA oil pan but then forgot the vacuum pump and some other bits are slightly different. Will repaint the timing cover with the intake manifold this week.
[Image: IMG_7798.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7799.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7800.jpg]

It came out pretty nice in my opinion! Happy to see all the rust gone at least.
[Image: IMG_7869.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7870.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7871.jpg]

Oil pan, oil cooler, & valve cover off the NA engine ready to go into the parts wash!
[Image: IMG_7875.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7872.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7873.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7876.jpg]

SO CLEAN!! Still needs a bit of scrubbing but man what a difference.
[Image: IMG_7890.jpg]

Big ups to Amar (Hooblah) for coming through with that engine cover Smile
He also included a bar of galaxy which is not easy to get in the USA and hugely appreciated by a UK expat Wink
[Image: IMG_7795.jpg]

I dont think many of you guys here are in to "stance" but i had my golf bagged a couple weeks ago. Loving the new suspension compared to the crap coilovers that were on it before, and its fun to see peoples reactions going up and down haha
[Image: IMG_7856.jpg]

Once i source a new timing chain and the last chain guide i can get started with assembling the engine this week!
Mr_Robs
02-18-2016, 02:28 PM #61

Another progress update!

Got my injectors back from Greazzer, talk about A+ service. Very communicative through the whole process, huge insight into the condition of my injectors and they came back great. He even offered to service a spare injector of mine for free because the threads on one were messed up! If you need injectors worked on in the USA you must talk to Mark.
[Image: IMG_7389.jpg]

Got the accessories, head and random extras stripped from the turbo engine to paint it.
[Image: IMG_7784.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7782.jpg]

A bit messy taking off the pan, and i managed to drop it in the oil catch pan. Nothing smells more horrible than year old diesel oil, barf.

All masked up ready for some primer & paint! Kind of derped on the timing cover, i was planning to use the NA one because of the NA oil pan but then forgot the vacuum pump and some other bits are slightly different. Will repaint the timing cover with the intake manifold this week.
[Image: IMG_7798.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7799.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7800.jpg]

It came out pretty nice in my opinion! Happy to see all the rust gone at least.
[Image: IMG_7869.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7870.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7871.jpg]

Oil pan, oil cooler, & valve cover off the NA engine ready to go into the parts wash!
[Image: IMG_7875.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7872.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7873.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7876.jpg]

SO CLEAN!! Still needs a bit of scrubbing but man what a difference.
[Image: IMG_7890.jpg]

Big ups to Amar (Hooblah) for coming through with that engine cover Smile
He also included a bar of galaxy which is not easy to get in the USA and hugely appreciated by a UK expat Wink
[Image: IMG_7795.jpg]

I dont think many of you guys here are in to "stance" but i had my golf bagged a couple weeks ago. Loving the new suspension compared to the crap coilovers that were on it before, and its fun to see peoples reactions going up and down haha
[Image: IMG_7856.jpg]

Once i source a new timing chain and the last chain guide i can get started with assembling the engine this week!

Keino
GT2256V

02-18-2016, 02:36 PM #62
Nice to see some progress Big Grin
Keep it up Smile
Keino
02-18-2016, 02:36 PM #62

Nice to see some progress Big Grin
Keep it up Smile

F.R.A.S
Holset

02-22-2016, 04:50 AM #63
Nice job mate...

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.
F.R.A.S
02-22-2016, 04:50 AM #63

Nice job mate...

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.

97e300
(its a 98 now)

03-03-2016, 12:48 PM #64
Updates?
97e300
03-03-2016, 12:48 PM #64

Updates?

Mr_Robs
GT2256V

03-05-2016, 05:54 AM #65
Scrubbed down the valve cover with a wheel and some air tools. Still not sure if im going to finish polishing it & clear it, or just paint it.
[Image: IMG_7940.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7943.jpg]

Painted the timing cover
[Image: IMG_7957_1.jpg]

Sandblasted the intake manifold then painted it as well.
[Image: IMG_7947.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7948.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7962.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7961_1.jpg]

Same process with the oil pan. It looked great shiny but was too difficult to polish out all of the crevasses.
[Image: IMG_7954_1.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7990.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8032.jpg]

Now i just need some money to order a timing chain set then the engine can go back together!

I should rename this thread slowly but surely... haha
Mr_Robs
03-05-2016, 05:54 AM #65

Scrubbed down the valve cover with a wheel and some air tools. Still not sure if im going to finish polishing it & clear it, or just paint it.
[Image: IMG_7940.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7943.jpg]

Painted the timing cover
[Image: IMG_7957_1.jpg]

Sandblasted the intake manifold then painted it as well.
[Image: IMG_7947.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7948.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7962.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7961_1.jpg]

Same process with the oil pan. It looked great shiny but was too difficult to polish out all of the crevasses.
[Image: IMG_7954_1.jpg]
[Image: IMG_7990.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8032.jpg]

Now i just need some money to order a timing chain set then the engine can go back together!

I should rename this thread slowly but surely... haha

Tito
Holset

03-05-2016, 03:54 PM #66
What oil sump is that? I had to cut and weld one to fit it in my w115 and this one seems like it has the cutout I needed.
Tito
03-05-2016, 03:54 PM #66

What oil sump is that? I had to cut and weld one to fit it in my w115 and this one seems like it has the cutout I needed.

97e300
(its a 98 now)

03-06-2016, 12:06 AM #67
Dudee polish it. I havent seen a polished 606 valve cover
This post was last modified: 03-06-2016, 12:06 AM by 97e300.
97e300
03-06-2016, 12:06 AM #67

Dudee polish it. I havent seen a polished 606 valve cover

03-06-2016, 09:52 AM #68
OM606 n/a sump with heat exchanger in sump (oil/water cooler)... Smile The cut-out is to clear sway bar. OM606 Turbo sump doesn't have it, since W210 sway bar is near the fire wall, not at the front.
This post was last modified: 03-06-2016, 09:54 AM by DiseaselWeasel.

DiseaselWeasel
03-06-2016, 09:52 AM #68

OM606 n/a sump with heat exchanger in sump (oil/water cooler)... Smile The cut-out is to clear sway bar. OM606 Turbo sump doesn't have it, since W210 sway bar is near the fire wall, not at the front.

F.R.A.S
Holset

03-08-2016, 04:40 AM #69
Ohhh man, that looks awesome.

Speaking of polished valve cover Cool 

[Image: World-record-om604-Bonneville-2016.jpg]

F.R.A.S
03-08-2016, 04:40 AM #69

Ohhh man, that looks awesome.

Speaking of polished valve cover Cool 

[Image: World-record-om604-Bonneville-2016.jpg]

97e300
(its a 98 now)

03-08-2016, 12:34 PM #70
FRAS, what's that car sitting real low in the background?
97e300
03-08-2016, 12:34 PM #70

FRAS, what's that car sitting real low in the background?

F.R.A.S
Holset

03-09-2016, 04:20 AM #71
[Image: 12810020_10205736761526545_837693592_o.jpg]

[Image: 12837254_10205736761606547_852048045_o.jpg]

(03-08-2016, 12:34 PM)97e300 FRAS, what's that car sitting real low in the background?

F.R.A.S
03-09-2016, 04:20 AM #71

[Image: 12810020_10205736761526545_837693592_o.jpg]

[Image: 12837254_10205736761606547_852048045_o.jpg]

(03-08-2016, 12:34 PM)97e300 FRAS, what's that car sitting real low in the background?

Mr_Robs
GT2256V

03-09-2016, 05:10 AM #72
Fred that polished cover looks SO good, definitely doing mine the same.

And that fastback is mental haha Big Grin
Mr_Robs
03-09-2016, 05:10 AM #72

Fred that polished cover looks SO good, definitely doing mine the same.

And that fastback is mental haha Big Grin

F.R.A.S
Holset

03-09-2016, 06:13 AM #73
Sorry for stealing your thread man Smile

Yea for sure you should polish it. The picture doesn't make it justice. Looks awesome!!!

F.R.A.S
03-09-2016, 06:13 AM #73

Sorry for stealing your thread man Smile

Yea for sure you should polish it. The picture doesn't make it justice. Looks awesome!!!

JVance
GTA2056V

03-09-2016, 06:45 AM #74
Is that fasty sitting on Porsche space-savers?
JVance
03-09-2016, 06:45 AM #74

Is that fasty sitting on Porsche space-savers?

F.R.A.S
Holset

03-09-2016, 08:03 AM #75
Is Space Savers - spare wheels???

No it's VW Caravelle 17" steels Cool

(03-09-2016, 06:45 AM)JVance Is that fasty sitting on Porsche space-savers?

F.R.A.S
03-09-2016, 08:03 AM #75

Is Space Savers - spare wheels???

(03-09-2016, 06:45 AM)JVance Is that fasty sitting on Porsche space-savers?

JVance
GTA2056V

03-09-2016, 11:05 AM #76
(03-09-2016, 08:03 AM)F.R.A.S Is Space Savers - spare wheels???

Yep, spare wheels. They've been popular with the outlaw 356 crowd, and a few VW drag racers have started using the spares due to their light weight.

I had not seen the Caravelles before, wasn't sure if they might have been newer Porsche space savers, as they bear minor resemblance to earlier wheels. Interesting wheels nonetheless!
JVance
03-09-2016, 11:05 AM #76

(03-09-2016, 08:03 AM)F.R.A.S Is Space Savers - spare wheels???

Yep, spare wheels. They've been popular with the outlaw 356 crowd, and a few VW drag racers have started using the spares due to their light weight.

I had not seen the Caravelles before, wasn't sure if they might have been newer Porsche space savers, as they bear minor resemblance to earlier wheels. Interesting wheels nonetheless!

Mr_Robs
GT2256V

05-09-2016, 05:35 PM #77
Realized i haven't posted an update in a bit! Heres what I've done recently.

Swapped sumps from the NA engine to the turbo block since i will be using the NA oil pan and didnt want any fitment issues.
[Image: IMG_8436.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8437.jpg]

Pinned in the intake cam with a set screw.
[Image: IMG_8444.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8442_1.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8440_1.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8445.jpg]

Prepped the block for the new MLS head gasket and head install.
[Image: IMG_8447.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8448_1.jpg]

The lengthy cylinder head install sequence. Lots and lots of torquing.
[Image: IMG_8449_1.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8453.jpg]

Cleaned up the prechambers on a brass wheel before reinstalling them
[Image: IMG_8537.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8538.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8536.jpg]
Mr_Robs
05-09-2016, 05:35 PM #77

Realized i haven't posted an update in a bit! Heres what I've done recently.

Swapped sumps from the NA engine to the turbo block since i will be using the NA oil pan and didnt want any fitment issues.
[Image: IMG_8436.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8437.jpg]

Pinned in the intake cam with a set screw.
[Image: IMG_8444.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8442_1.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8440_1.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8445.jpg]

Prepped the block for the new MLS head gasket and head install.
[Image: IMG_8447.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8448_1.jpg]

The lengthy cylinder head install sequence. Lots and lots of torquing.
[Image: IMG_8449_1.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8453.jpg]

Cleaned up the prechambers on a brass wheel before reinstalling them
[Image: IMG_8537.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8538.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8536.jpg]

Mr_Robs
GT2256V

05-09-2016, 05:38 PM #78
Prechamber lock rings were pretty disgusting as well
[Image: IMG_8861.jpg]

Special delivery from FRAS @ F-tune Big Grin
[Image: IMG_8661.jpg]

Block off plate looks so sexy on the cylinder head.
[Image: IMG_8860.jpg]

Chain guides, setting timing, install cams etc are next but i needed to do a bunch of organization to figure out what parts and hardware i was still missing.
[Image: IMG_8869.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8870.jpg]
Mr_Robs
05-09-2016, 05:38 PM #78

Prechamber lock rings were pretty disgusting as well
[Image: IMG_8861.jpg]

Special delivery from FRAS @ F-tune Big Grin
[Image: IMG_8661.jpg]

Block off plate looks so sexy on the cylinder head.
[Image: IMG_8860.jpg]

Chain guides, setting timing, install cams etc are next but i needed to do a bunch of organization to figure out what parts and hardware i was still missing.
[Image: IMG_8869.jpg]
[Image: IMG_8870.jpg]

hooblah
Holset

05-10-2016, 05:32 AM #79
Looking good!
hooblah
05-10-2016, 05:32 AM #79

Looking good!

F.R.A.S
Holset

05-11-2016, 05:51 AM #80
Awesome mate. Soon there will be some unsafe streets in northern Cali.

F.R.A.S
05-11-2016, 05:51 AM #80

Awesome mate. Soon there will be some unsafe streets in northern Cali.

av3ntador
OM603

05-17-2016, 04:00 PM #81
Looking great Jon! Hey quick question, what do you plan your redline to be?

'93 300SD - Project (Herlevi 8mm pump and HX40 coming)
'10 E350 - Daily  
av3ntador
05-17-2016, 04:00 PM #81

Looking great Jon! Hey quick question, what do you plan your redline to be?

'93 300SD - Project (Herlevi 8mm pump and HX40 coming)
'10 E350 - Daily  

Mr_Robs
GT2256V

05-18-2016, 03:00 AM #82
(05-10-2016, 05:32 AM)hooblah Looking good!

Thanks dude!
(05-11-2016, 05:51 AM)F.R.A.S Awesome mate. Soon there will be some unsafe streets in northern Cali.

Haha "soon" that word will be the death of me!
(05-17-2016, 04:00 PM)av3ntador Looking great Jon! Hey quick question, what do you plan your redline to be?

Thanks man! I had my pump set by dieselmeken to 6000RPM, i will see how the engine does there once its all running and consider turning it up later past that (since i have the valve springs done).
Mr_Robs
05-18-2016, 03:00 AM #82

(05-10-2016, 05:32 AM)hooblah Looking good!

Thanks dude!
(05-11-2016, 05:51 AM)F.R.A.S Awesome mate. Soon there will be some unsafe streets in northern Cali.

Haha "soon" that word will be the death of me!
(05-17-2016, 04:00 PM)av3ntador Looking great Jon! Hey quick question, what do you plan your redline to be?

Thanks man! I had my pump set by dieselmeken to 6000RPM, i will see how the engine does there once its all running and consider turning it up later past that (since i have the valve springs done).

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

05-18-2016, 07:57 AM #83
Robs is that an NA head with the threaded fitting on the top /front coolant outlet?

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
05-18-2016, 07:57 AM #83

Robs is that an NA head with the threaded fitting on the top /front coolant outlet?

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

Tito
Holset

05-18-2016, 02:06 PM #84
I'm pretty sure mine 606 turbo has the same hole. I use it to connect the overflow and measure coolant for the dash.
Tito
05-18-2016, 02:06 PM #84

I'm pretty sure mine 606 turbo has the same hole. I use it to connect the overflow and measure coolant for the dash.

bruno_pinho
GT2256V

05-18-2016, 02:25 PM #85
My 605 turbo also has this hole...
bruno_pinho
05-18-2016, 02:25 PM #85

My 605 turbo also has this hole...

Mr_Robs
GT2256V

05-19-2016, 02:56 AM #86
(05-18-2016, 07:57 AM)Hario Robs is that an NA head with the threaded fitting on the top /front coolant outlet?

NA cylinder head indeed but like the other guys mentioned i believe my turbo head has the same hole as well.
Mr_Robs
05-19-2016, 02:56 AM #86

(05-18-2016, 07:57 AM)Hario Robs is that an NA head with the threaded fitting on the top /front coolant outlet?

NA cylinder head indeed but like the other guys mentioned i believe my turbo head has the same hole as well.

erx
w202 om606

05-19-2016, 09:04 AM #87
(05-19-2016, 02:56 AM)Mr_Robs

604, 605 and 606 older models till 97 have this hole, 98, 99 are without. It's for electric fan temperature sensor, cars without climate control just have plug there, 97 300td also have plug, doesn't matter if with or without climate control.
This post was last modified: 05-19-2016, 09:15 AM by erx.
erx
05-19-2016, 09:04 AM #87

604, 605 and 606 older models till 97 have this hole, 98, 99 are without. It's for electric fan temperature sensor, cars without climate control just have plug there, 97 300td also have plug, doesn't matter if with or without climate control.

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

05-23-2016, 04:28 AM #88
(05-19-2016, 09:04 AM)erx

Nice, thanks. Sorry discussed before, only read the updates.. Tongue)

Asking because my 98' 606 in my 99' 202 has no coolant air bleed point and I'm gona drill and tap for this.

(605 has bleed fitting in head, 606 has it in rad so my combo has neither).

First start due any day now robs.

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
05-23-2016, 04:28 AM #88

(05-19-2016, 09:04 AM)erx

Nice, thanks. Sorry discussed before, only read the updates.. Tongue)

Asking because my 98' 606 in my 99' 202 has no coolant air bleed point and I'm gona drill and tap for this.

(605 has bleed fitting in head, 606 has it in rad so my combo has neither).

First start due any day now robs.

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

Mr_Robs
GT2256V

06-11-2016, 02:32 PM #89
A bunch of progress has happened since my last update REAL PROGRESS!

New guides, chains, & cams put in.

[Image: IMG_9265.jpg]

Oil pan, timing covers, IP, etc on in this pic here.
[Image: IMG_9321.jpg]
We were having an issue with timing the engine because of my stupidity. The timing mark was bolted in the wrong spot on the cover. Bit of advice, dont take your project apart and wait over 1 year to put it back together. Im missing so many bolts and cant remember how half of this shit goes now..

[Image: IMG_9273.jpg]
Moved the chassis up to the workshop with a bunch of spare bits. Theres suspension, brake and other work to be done on this tank as well before/after the engine goes back in.

Parked up near the engine, ready for some love after 18 months of sitting outside without a wash!
[Image: IMG_9278.jpg]

Did a bunch of cleaning on parts this week, polishing, sand blasting, etc. Didn't take pictures of everything but the fuel hard lines & the engine mount brackets came out nice.

[Image: IMG_9465_1.jpg]
[Image: IMG_9492.jpg]

All these little details will hopefully be worth it when the engine is sitting pretty in the car.

[Image: IMG_9499.jpg]
More bits installed. Decided to order a new vacuum pump since i dont trust either used one i have. New dampers/roller is on order for the tensioner. Still missing a few gaskets & bolts that are giving me a headache but we will figure it out eventually i guess haha.
Mr_Robs
06-11-2016, 02:32 PM #89

A bunch of progress has happened since my last update REAL PROGRESS!

New guides, chains, & cams put in.

[Image: IMG_9265.jpg]

Oil pan, timing covers, IP, etc on in this pic here.
[Image: IMG_9321.jpg]
We were having an issue with timing the engine because of my stupidity. The timing mark was bolted in the wrong spot on the cover. Bit of advice, dont take your project apart and wait over 1 year to put it back together. Im missing so many bolts and cant remember how half of this shit goes now..

[Image: IMG_9273.jpg]
Moved the chassis up to the workshop with a bunch of spare bits. Theres suspension, brake and other work to be done on this tank as well before/after the engine goes back in.

Parked up near the engine, ready for some love after 18 months of sitting outside without a wash!
[Image: IMG_9278.jpg]

Did a bunch of cleaning on parts this week, polishing, sand blasting, etc. Didn't take pictures of everything but the fuel hard lines & the engine mount brackets came out nice.

[Image: IMG_9465_1.jpg]
[Image: IMG_9492.jpg]

All these little details will hopefully be worth it when the engine is sitting pretty in the car.

[Image: IMG_9499.jpg]
More bits installed. Decided to order a new vacuum pump since i dont trust either used one i have. New dampers/roller is on order for the tensioner. Still missing a few gaskets & bolts that are giving me a headache but we will figure it out eventually i guess haha.

hooblah
Holset

06-13-2016, 05:17 AM #90
Getting there. Liking the attention to detail!
hooblah
06-13-2016, 05:17 AM #90

Getting there. Liking the attention to detail!

Mr_Robs
GT2256V

12-15-2016, 11:59 PM #91
Time for a long overdue update. Havent been on here lately, new job, blah blah. But i have some progress to report.

Got my oil filter/heat exchanger on.

[Image: IMG_0424.jpg]
[Image: IMG_9841.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0423.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0427.jpg]

Got the engine assembled basically complete.

[Image: IMG_0624.jpg]

Decided im going to go with a 722.6 for now so i can run my stock diff, axles etc. I think id like to upgrade to a manual ASD at some point too. I put my 53DZ up for sale today.

Amar (hooblah) found me a nice CDI 722.6 - now i just need to ping Ole for a controller.

[Image: IMG_1303.jpg]

Boom - engine is back in the car!

[Image: IMG_1561.jpg]

Some issues with the car so far - My engine harness is pretty degraded. Im trying to find one of the replacements mercedes made to get rid of this "bio friendly" one. So far its not looking good...

Manifold fitment is way off. Turbo cant even be mocked up without removing the coolant pipe as the wastegate bolt sits inside the grommet lol.

No room for a downpipe either so some chassis modification will be in order. At this point i just want this damn project running and will be cutting and welding where need be to get it on the road.

[Image: IMG_1584.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1585.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1589.jpg] 
Shouldnt be as long between updates now i hope
Mr_Robs
12-15-2016, 11:59 PM #91

Time for a long overdue update. Havent been on here lately, new job, blah blah. But i have some progress to report.

Got my oil filter/heat exchanger on.

[Image: IMG_0424.jpg]
[Image: IMG_9841.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0423.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0427.jpg]

Got the engine assembled basically complete.

[Image: IMG_0624.jpg]

Decided im going to go with a 722.6 for now so i can run my stock diff, axles etc. I think id like to upgrade to a manual ASD at some point too. I put my 53DZ up for sale today.

Amar (hooblah) found me a nice CDI 722.6 - now i just need to ping Ole for a controller.

[Image: IMG_1303.jpg]

Boom - engine is back in the car!

[Image: IMG_1561.jpg]

Some issues with the car so far - My engine harness is pretty degraded. Im trying to find one of the replacements mercedes made to get rid of this "bio friendly" one. So far its not looking good...

Manifold fitment is way off. Turbo cant even be mocked up without removing the coolant pipe as the wastegate bolt sits inside the grommet lol.

No room for a downpipe either so some chassis modification will be in order. At this point i just want this damn project running and will be cutting and welding where need be to get it on the road.

[Image: IMG_1584.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1585.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1589.jpg] 
Shouldnt be as long between updates now i hope

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

12-20-2016, 07:06 AM #92
I don't see why the turbo isn't positioned 6" further forward, the 124 has most hot side space of all the old mercedes swaps and the manifold doesn't fit that.
This post was last modified: 12-21-2016, 01:42 PM by Hario'.

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
12-20-2016, 07:06 AM #92

I don't see why the turbo isn't positioned 6" further forward, the 124 has most hot side space of all the old mercedes swaps and the manifold doesn't fit that.

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

Mr_Robs
GT2256V

12-20-2016, 09:05 PM #93
Lets just say im a little more than disappointed mate
Mr_Robs
12-20-2016, 09:05 PM #93

Lets just say im a little more than disappointed mate

hents99
GT2256V

12-21-2016, 04:20 AM #94
What turbo is it? HX40? Turbine housing is awesome Smile

------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.elbe.ee - MB performance parts.
hents99
12-21-2016, 04:20 AM #94

What turbo is it? HX40? Turbine housing is awesome Smile

------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.elbe.ee - MB performance parts.

maxypriest
Holset

12-21-2016, 01:37 PM #95
WTF?! That's a massive manifold oversight ? Sorry to see this mr robs, you going to take it off and get it modified?

W124 om606 HX40 finished and it's a beauty 450bhp/456ft-lbs
maxypriest
12-21-2016, 01:37 PM #95

WTF?! That's a massive manifold oversight ? Sorry to see this mr robs, you going to take it off and get it modified?

maxypriest
Holset

12-21-2016, 01:47 PM #96
Can you cut the manifold flange and twist the turbo clockwise? That way the DP will point in the right direction?

maxypriest
12-21-2016, 01:47 PM #96

Can you cut the manifold flange and twist the turbo clockwise? That way the DP will point in the right direction?

Mr_Robs
GT2256V

12-22-2016, 03:51 AM #97
(12-21-2016, 04:20 AM)hents99 What turbo is it?  HX40? Turbine housing is awesome Smile

Yep HX40 super!

(12-21-2016, 01:37 PM)maxypriest WTF?! That's a massive manifold oversight ? Sorry to see this mr robs, you going to take it off and get it modified?

Yeah man... I'm not sure yet. Thought about just buying another manifold possibly. Even if i move the flange i dont know if it will fit. It really needs to be like 3-4 inches closer to the head & 4-5 inches further forward...
Mr_Robs
12-22-2016, 03:51 AM #97

(12-21-2016, 04:20 AM)hents99 What turbo is it?  HX40? Turbine housing is awesome Smile

Yep HX40 super!

(12-21-2016, 01:37 PM)maxypriest WTF?! That's a massive manifold oversight ? Sorry to see this mr robs, you going to take it off and get it modified?

Yeah man... I'm not sure yet. Thought about just buying another manifold possibly. Even if i move the flange i dont know if it will fit. It really needs to be like 3-4 inches closer to the head & 4-5 inches further forward...

maxypriest
Holset

12-22-2016, 04:31 AM #98
My KKD one fits perfectly and even though is for LHD I still have enough room of a 3" DP past the steering box. So with LHD you should be able to a bigger one down here, a key ingredient for big power.
Luke dale can supply a complete manifold and DP kit for a hx40. Infact he can also do the whole exhaust system and they look and sound great.

maxypriest
12-22-2016, 04:31 AM #98

My KKD one fits perfectly and even though is for LHD I still have enough room of a 3" DP past the steering box. So with LHD you should be able to a bigger one down here, a key ingredient for big power.
Luke dale can supply a complete manifold and DP kit for a hx40. Infact he can also do the whole exhaust system and they look and sound great.

maxypriest
Holset

12-22-2016, 04:48 AM #99
Don't loose heart - its worth it!
Mine will do 174mph with the current diff, lots more to come.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r6ZHHtCB5jM

maxypriest
12-22-2016, 04:48 AM #99

Don't loose heart - its worth it!
Mine will do 174mph with the current diff, lots more to come.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r6ZHHtCB5jM

maxypriest
Holset

12-22-2016, 05:01 AM #100
Gas turbine approach old school bimmer straight 6 departure.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=yout...5mg3_EjdbA

maxypriest
12-22-2016, 05:01 AM #100

Gas turbine approach old school bimmer straight 6 departure.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=yout...5mg3_EjdbA

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average