STD Tuning Drivetrain Toyota 5 Speed (W56) to OM617 Adapter Plates for Sale

Toyota 5 Speed (W56) to OM617 Adapter Plates for Sale

Toyota 5 Speed (W56) to OM617 Adapter Plates for Sale

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

pyrojoe22
Naturally-aspirated

03-05-2015, 10:08 PM #1
Hello all,

After three years of designing, building, and testing, I am finally releasing my own OM617 to W56 adapter kit. This kit will be the foundation for my new business. As an engineer, I have access to some incredible tools and the ability to design products safely and properly. With four years of running a furniture moving business under my belt, I feel I have gained some valuable customer service experience. It is my goal to provide people with a quality product, that has been thoroughly engineered, that is manufactured to high standards, at a reasonable cost. I pride myself in helping others, and will always give my best effort to help those with technical questions. I plan to clean up my build thread for people to be able to reference easier. I do get a lot of repeat questions, so I will make sure to post them, possibly in a FAQ section. I just ask that you search before you ask, as I have dumped my brain into my build thread.

With that being said, I would like to introduce my adapter plate. It was designed by measuring the OM617 bolt pattern and the W56 bell housing pattern, using a CNC mill. The CNC mill gave dimensions repeatable to 0.0002”. The plate is machined from quality 6061 T6 aluminum. Everything was drawn in a 3D CAD program, to ensure proper fit. This first plate is from ALCOA, a quality aluminum supplier. Although the adapter plate is the most expensive part, it is the simplest. It will work for G and W-series transmissions. The L-series is weak enough, that I would not recommend using it. This plate will also allow you to use the R151F. If you can find the coveted R151F bell housing, you can use it in conjunction with this plate to run an R-series transmission.

[Image: 20150224_194420_zpsurzwlojs.jpg]

[Image: 20150304_1953230_zpsav9x2mju.jpg]

[Image: 20150304_211643_zpsopuwlh09.jpg]

Here, you can see my flywheel spacer, cut out of mild steel. This steel spacer will not flex, like similar aluminum ones. The aluminum spacers have a much different modulus of elasticity, basically meaning that they act as a soft spring, and raise the potential dramatically for catastrophic failure. All this steel part does is properly space the flywheel away from the crankshaft. You can also see the aluminum pilot bearing adapter, here. This is the highest precision, and most complicated part to make. This adapter has the extremely important responsibility of centering the flywheel to the crankshaft. It presses into the crank shaft, and the flywheel fits tightly over it. It also houses the pilot bearing, correctly spacing it away from the transmission input shaft. The flats in the steel spacer prevent the pilot bearing adapter from spinning. The steel spacer will fit very snuggly over the pilot bearing adapter.

[Image: 20150227_190752_zpsqp5x6950.jpg]

[Image: ca474fc5-d9e7-4dc6-80d3-b2c14db2cdec_zpsyyqm1ac0.jpg]

All essential hardware is included with the adapter kit.

[Image: 83cccb70-476f-4b5e-a619-72cf3e3a1722_zpscmw99kru.jpg]

I must sell enough adapters to cover my material and machining costs, for now, as I’m fresh out of college, and have no capital. Once I have 6 adapter kits sold, I will order and start machining kits immediately. My lead time depends mostly on my aluminum supplier. Once I have material in my hands, I can machine the parts fairly quickly (typically within one week). If there is a longer lead time, I will be sure to inform everyone, not turn off my phone and computer and bury my head in the sand. I will be accepting payment through PayPal only, as it has been extremely reliable for me. If I get enough requests, I can create an adapter kit for R-series transmissions. If you would like to sign up for a kit, let me know immediately. To sign up, you will pay me now, to hold your spot. If I do not have the 6 required orders within 2 months of the first order, I will bite the bullet and get your kits machined, anyways. I have the ability to purchase material for a single adapter plate, but it is roughly five times the cost of when I buy in bulk. Metal suppliers do not like to handle small quantities, and they’ll charge you accordingly. From the people I’ve been talking to, it doesn’t sound like finding 6 buyers will be a problem, at all.

So you are probably all wondering. “What will it cost?” The adapter plate, pilot bearing adapter, flywheel spacer, and hardware will cost you $500 + shipping. There are no core charges.

I am not going to get involved with flywheels at this point, as I would just be a middle man, taking your money for nothing. Any reputable machine shop can drill the OM617 pattern into your flywheel for less than $100. The flywheel is heavy, and costs a lot to ship around, which is also pointless. The most important reason, however, is this: The OM617 flex plate is counter balanced. It is not neutral balanced. YOU NEED TO MARK THE FLEX PLATE IN RELATION TO THE CRANK SHAFT BEFORE REMOVAL! Have your flywheel match balanced to the flex plate, and make sure they mark it for you so you can bolt it onto the OM617 crankshaft in the same position. Not having your flywheel properly balanced can result in harmful vibrations in certain engines.

This simple adapter kit is only the first of over a dozen products I have designed. My intention is to create a complete swap kit. There will be two options; one will be for stock transmission placement, while the other will move the engine and transmission back to eliminate the need of cutting the core support. I am currently testing some prototype motor mounts, created using a CNC laser and CNC 3D tube plasma cutter. They should be available for purchase and shipment by the time the first batch of plates are machined. I have also designed a power steering pump bracket for the Trail-Gear hydro-assist pump. I will also be selling a glow plug electrical kit, that will include all necessary wiring and accessories for push-button glow plug activation.

I would love to hear your suggestions for parts. The Toyota alternator easily fits into the Mercedes alternator bracket with minimal material removal. Simply taking a cutoff wheel to the bracket and removing 1/8” of material can eliminate the need for an expensive aftermarket bracket. I even modified my Mercedes bracket to accept a GM alternator, without much effort, so I don’t see the point in creating a whole new bracket. The only other two ideas I have for accessories are a throttle cable bracket, and an  oil filter relocation kit. I can easily machine an oil filter relocation kit, if there is enough interest.

Thanks again,

Joe

[Image: 20150305_164511_zpsbu0arvkv.jpg]

[Image: 20150305_164743_zps9dealc9d.jpg]

[Image: 20150305_165339_zpsyoaa4svd.jpg]

[Image: 20150305_165643_zpsl69u8wob.jpg]

[Image: 20150305_170456_zpsqtznn9iy.jpg]
This post was last modified: 03-05-2015, 10:09 PM by pyrojoe22.
pyrojoe22
03-05-2015, 10:08 PM #1

Hello all,

After three years of designing, building, and testing, I am finally releasing my own OM617 to W56 adapter kit. This kit will be the foundation for my new business. As an engineer, I have access to some incredible tools and the ability to design products safely and properly. With four years of running a furniture moving business under my belt, I feel I have gained some valuable customer service experience. It is my goal to provide people with a quality product, that has been thoroughly engineered, that is manufactured to high standards, at a reasonable cost. I pride myself in helping others, and will always give my best effort to help those with technical questions. I plan to clean up my build thread for people to be able to reference easier. I do get a lot of repeat questions, so I will make sure to post them, possibly in a FAQ section. I just ask that you search before you ask, as I have dumped my brain into my build thread.

With that being said, I would like to introduce my adapter plate. It was designed by measuring the OM617 bolt pattern and the W56 bell housing pattern, using a CNC mill. The CNC mill gave dimensions repeatable to 0.0002”. The plate is machined from quality 6061 T6 aluminum. Everything was drawn in a 3D CAD program, to ensure proper fit. This first plate is from ALCOA, a quality aluminum supplier. Although the adapter plate is the most expensive part, it is the simplest. It will work for G and W-series transmissions. The L-series is weak enough, that I would not recommend using it. This plate will also allow you to use the R151F. If you can find the coveted R151F bell housing, you can use it in conjunction with this plate to run an R-series transmission.

[Image: 20150224_194420_zpsurzwlojs.jpg]

[Image: 20150304_1953230_zpsav9x2mju.jpg]

[Image: 20150304_211643_zpsopuwlh09.jpg]

Here, you can see my flywheel spacer, cut out of mild steel. This steel spacer will not flex, like similar aluminum ones. The aluminum spacers have a much different modulus of elasticity, basically meaning that they act as a soft spring, and raise the potential dramatically for catastrophic failure. All this steel part does is properly space the flywheel away from the crankshaft. You can also see the aluminum pilot bearing adapter, here. This is the highest precision, and most complicated part to make. This adapter has the extremely important responsibility of centering the flywheel to the crankshaft. It presses into the crank shaft, and the flywheel fits tightly over it. It also houses the pilot bearing, correctly spacing it away from the transmission input shaft. The flats in the steel spacer prevent the pilot bearing adapter from spinning. The steel spacer will fit very snuggly over the pilot bearing adapter.

[Image: 20150227_190752_zpsqp5x6950.jpg]

[Image: ca474fc5-d9e7-4dc6-80d3-b2c14db2cdec_zpsyyqm1ac0.jpg]

All essential hardware is included with the adapter kit.

[Image: 83cccb70-476f-4b5e-a619-72cf3e3a1722_zpscmw99kru.jpg]

I must sell enough adapters to cover my material and machining costs, for now, as I’m fresh out of college, and have no capital. Once I have 6 adapter kits sold, I will order and start machining kits immediately. My lead time depends mostly on my aluminum supplier. Once I have material in my hands, I can machine the parts fairly quickly (typically within one week). If there is a longer lead time, I will be sure to inform everyone, not turn off my phone and computer and bury my head in the sand. I will be accepting payment through PayPal only, as it has been extremely reliable for me. If I get enough requests, I can create an adapter kit for R-series transmissions. If you would like to sign up for a kit, let me know immediately. To sign up, you will pay me now, to hold your spot. If I do not have the 6 required orders within 2 months of the first order, I will bite the bullet and get your kits machined, anyways. I have the ability to purchase material for a single adapter plate, but it is roughly five times the cost of when I buy in bulk. Metal suppliers do not like to handle small quantities, and they’ll charge you accordingly. From the people I’ve been talking to, it doesn’t sound like finding 6 buyers will be a problem, at all.

So you are probably all wondering. “What will it cost?” The adapter plate, pilot bearing adapter, flywheel spacer, and hardware will cost you $500 + shipping. There are no core charges.

I am not going to get involved with flywheels at this point, as I would just be a middle man, taking your money for nothing. Any reputable machine shop can drill the OM617 pattern into your flywheel for less than $100. The flywheel is heavy, and costs a lot to ship around, which is also pointless. The most important reason, however, is this: The OM617 flex plate is counter balanced. It is not neutral balanced. YOU NEED TO MARK THE FLEX PLATE IN RELATION TO THE CRANK SHAFT BEFORE REMOVAL! Have your flywheel match balanced to the flex plate, and make sure they mark it for you so you can bolt it onto the OM617 crankshaft in the same position. Not having your flywheel properly balanced can result in harmful vibrations in certain engines.

This simple adapter kit is only the first of over a dozen products I have designed. My intention is to create a complete swap kit. There will be two options; one will be for stock transmission placement, while the other will move the engine and transmission back to eliminate the need of cutting the core support. I am currently testing some prototype motor mounts, created using a CNC laser and CNC 3D tube plasma cutter. They should be available for purchase and shipment by the time the first batch of plates are machined. I have also designed a power steering pump bracket for the Trail-Gear hydro-assist pump. I will also be selling a glow plug electrical kit, that will include all necessary wiring and accessories for push-button glow plug activation.

I would love to hear your suggestions for parts. The Toyota alternator easily fits into the Mercedes alternator bracket with minimal material removal. Simply taking a cutoff wheel to the bracket and removing 1/8” of material can eliminate the need for an expensive aftermarket bracket. I even modified my Mercedes bracket to accept a GM alternator, without much effort, so I don’t see the point in creating a whole new bracket. The only other two ideas I have for accessories are a throttle cable bracket, and an  oil filter relocation kit. I can easily machine an oil filter relocation kit, if there is enough interest.

Thanks again,

Joe

[Image: 20150305_164511_zpsbu0arvkv.jpg]

[Image: 20150305_164743_zps9dealc9d.jpg]

[Image: 20150305_165339_zpsyoaa4svd.jpg]

[Image: 20150305_165643_zpsl69u8wob.jpg]

[Image: 20150305_170456_zpsqtznn9iy.jpg]

Mylesofsmyles
Volvo Tweaker

03-06-2015, 12:28 PM #2
This seems more for the folks who want to swap in a 617 to a Toyota, and less for those interested in a nice 5-speed for their Benz, no?

I'd be interested, if this went to production first. Sorry, but ice been burned too many times with ambitious group-buys that require prepayment and simply don't deliver.

Any idea how well the w56 fits in a w123 tunnel? And how close shifter location is?

--  '82 300D  --
Mylesofsmyles
03-06-2015, 12:28 PM #2

This seems more for the folks who want to swap in a 617 to a Toyota, and less for those interested in a nice 5-speed for their Benz, no?

I'd be interested, if this went to production first. Sorry, but ice been burned too many times with ambitious group-buys that require prepayment and simply don't deliver.

Any idea how well the w56 fits in a w123 tunnel? And how close shifter location is?

--  '82 300D  --

TKMad
K26-2

03-06-2015, 12:32 PM #3
The W56 is pretty truck like ratio wise, but you could bolt a W58 to this bellhousing and that would be a pretty nice fit for the W123s.
TKMad
03-06-2015, 12:32 PM #3

The W56 is pretty truck like ratio wise, but you could bolt a W58 to this bellhousing and that would be a pretty nice fit for the W123s.

raysorenson
Superturbo

03-06-2015, 03:10 PM #4
Don't forget there are 2 pilot hole sizes in the 617 cranks!
raysorenson
03-06-2015, 03:10 PM #4

Don't forget there are 2 pilot hole sizes in the 617 cranks!

Mylesofsmyles
Volvo Tweaker

03-06-2015, 09:30 PM #5
(03-06-2015, 03:10 PM)raysorenson Don't forget there are 2 pilot hole sizes in the 617 cranks!

What's the story there?  Early and later versions? Turbo vs NA?  or just an all out random thing?
This post was last modified: 03-06-2015, 09:31 PM by Mylesofsmyles.

--  '82 300D  --
Mylesofsmyles
03-06-2015, 09:30 PM #5

(03-06-2015, 03:10 PM)raysorenson Don't forget there are 2 pilot hole sizes in the 617 cranks!

What's the story there?  Early and later versions? Turbo vs NA?  or just an all out random thing?

--  '82 300D  --

raysorenson
Superturbo

03-06-2015, 09:57 PM #6
During the '84 production year, the hole got smaller. 84's can go both ways, 85's all have the smaller hole. I have NFI why they did it.
raysorenson
03-06-2015, 09:57 PM #6

During the '84 production year, the hole got smaller. 84's can go both ways, 85's all have the smaller hole. I have NFI why they did it.

pyrojoe22
Naturally-aspirated

03-12-2015, 08:30 PM #7
Wow, thanks a bunch for the heads up on crank ID's! I'll have to find the ID on the later models, as my design motor was an 83 617.951. The .952's must have the smaller ID?

I have no idea how it would fit in a car, but TKMad is totally right. All G and W series Toyota transmissions will work. I've also thought about selling this as a manual tranny swap kit for the cars, since those were only available in Europe.

I'll post back when I've made a production run. Hoping to do so within the next 3 weeks.
pyrojoe22
03-12-2015, 08:30 PM #7

Wow, thanks a bunch for the heads up on crank ID's! I'll have to find the ID on the later models, as my design motor was an 83 617.951. The .952's must have the smaller ID?

I have no idea how it would fit in a car, but TKMad is totally right. All G and W series Toyota transmissions will work. I've also thought about selling this as a manual tranny swap kit for the cars, since those were only available in Europe.

I'll post back when I've made a production run. Hoping to do so within the next 3 weeks.

mike-81-240d
more like mike-84-300d now

03-14-2015, 04:56 AM #8
I wonder how well a W58 or R154 would fit in a 123 tunnel.

1981 Mercedes 300TD Lowered 4 speed manual Holset HX30 
mike-81-240d
03-14-2015, 04:56 AM #8

I wonder how well a W58 or R154 would fit in a 123 tunnel.

1981 Mercedes 300TD Lowered 4 speed manual Holset HX30 

pyrojoe22
Naturally-aspirated

04-03-2015, 09:31 PM #9
Good afternoon ladies and gents,

I am pleased to announce that I now have an inventory of adapter kits. Supplies are limited, but I will make another production run when I am about to run out of inventory. As with any new production part, I had a few hiccups along the way, while trying to figure out the best way to manufacture parts. I have 2 full kits with blemished parts, that I am offering at a reduced price of $450. They are only cosmetic defects, and the parts will still function just the same. Orders will now ship out next day, unless I notify you otherwise.

Thanks for all the support guys!

Joe
pyrojoe22
04-03-2015, 09:31 PM #9

Good afternoon ladies and gents,

I am pleased to announce that I now have an inventory of adapter kits. Supplies are limited, but I will make another production run when I am about to run out of inventory. As with any new production part, I had a few hiccups along the way, while trying to figure out the best way to manufacture parts. I have 2 full kits with blemished parts, that I am offering at a reduced price of $450. They are only cosmetic defects, and the parts will still function just the same. Orders will now ship out next day, unless I notify you otherwise.

Thanks for all the support guys!

Joe

pyrojoe22
Naturally-aspirated

04-09-2015, 09:22 PM #10
Orders can now be made by contacting me via email or phone, listed on my website, here:

www.themeflab.com
pyrojoe22
04-09-2015, 09:22 PM #10

Orders can now be made by contacting me via email or phone, listed on my website, here:

www.themeflab.com

pirublues
Naturally-aspirated

04-19-2015, 10:04 PM #11
Anyone know how a w58 fits in the w123 tunnel? I'll buy one if it's somewhat decent fit. The R154 is pretty huge so i won't even bother.
pirublues
04-19-2015, 10:04 PM #11

Anyone know how a w58 fits in the w123 tunnel? I'll buy one if it's somewhat decent fit. The R154 is pretty huge so i won't even bother.

pyrojoe22
Naturally-aspirated

04-19-2015, 10:41 PM #12
I would also like to know that answer, priublues, as that would open up a lot of opportunities. Mercedes owners could put manuals in, and I could have the opportunity to sell donor cars with a W58/22R combo instead of just crushing the cars.
pyrojoe22
04-19-2015, 10:41 PM #12

I would also like to know that answer, priublues, as that would open up a lot of opportunities. Mercedes owners could put manuals in, and I could have the opportunity to sell donor cars with a W58/22R combo instead of just crushing the cars.

pirublues
Naturally-aspirated

04-20-2015, 08:53 PM #13
I guess I'll just need to find me a w58 and test fit it. Anyone know the length of the Mercedes 4spd? Mine is still in the car.
pirublues
04-20-2015, 08:53 PM #13

I guess I'll just need to find me a w58 and test fit it. Anyone know the length of the Mercedes 4spd? Mine is still in the car.

pyrojoe22
Naturally-aspirated

02-01-2021, 07:29 AM #14
I'm still very much alive, creating more new parts for the OM617/OM60x/TDI than ever!
Check out: doomsdaydiesel.net
pyrojoe22
02-01-2021, 07:29 AM #14

I'm still very much alive, creating more new parts for the OM617/OM60x/TDI than ever!
Check out: doomsdaydiesel.net

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average