STD Tuning Engine Om617 swapped toyota boiling coolant. PLEASE HELP

Om617 swapped toyota boiling coolant. PLEASE HELP

Om617 swapped toyota boiling coolant. PLEASE HELP

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

617yotacrawler
Naturally-aspirated

04-22-2015, 09:11 AM #1
Hey all I have a om617 swap in my toyota crawler. First I wanna say that you all have helped me with many questions i have asked and I constantly search for answers here. but I have ran into a problem I can not find the answer too. I swapped a om617 into my 4runner back in August and it has been running fantasticly, and it was easily 100*f with no over heating issues.  I was wheeling the other day and it got a little warm but not dangerous. I parked the truck at the top of the hill and went for a hike. When I returned I noticed that almost all the coolant boiled out of the coolant resivor. I filled it back up with water and the system then returned home (80 miles) with no issues. Then 5 days later (yesterday) I was driving home from work and I pulled into my drive way and the coolant was literally boiling out of the resivor. I went and squeezed both upper and lower hoses and there was no coolant in them just air. But yet my resivor is completely full. I let it sit 5 min and started it back up and all the coolant rushed back into the system. I really need help on this because I'm afraid to take it wheeling with my family and getting stranded. Thank you 
Attached Files
Image(s)

617yotacrawler
04-22-2015, 09:11 AM #1

Hey all I have a om617 swap in my toyota crawler. First I wanna say that you all have helped me with many questions i have asked and I constantly search for answers here. but I have ran into a problem I can not find the answer too. I swapped a om617 into my 4runner back in August and it has been running fantasticly, and it was easily 100*f with no over heating issues.  I was wheeling the other day and it got a little warm but not dangerous. I parked the truck at the top of the hill and went for a hike. When I returned I noticed that almost all the coolant boiled out of the coolant resivor. I filled it back up with water and the system then returned home (80 miles) with no issues. Then 5 days later (yesterday) I was driving home from work and I pulled into my drive way and the coolant was literally boiling out of the resivor. I went and squeezed both upper and lower hoses and there was no coolant in them just air. But yet my resivor is completely full. I let it sit 5 min and started it back up and all the coolant rushed back into the system. I really need help on this because I'm afraid to take it wheeling with my family and getting stranded. Thank you 

Attached Files
Image(s)

raysorenson
Superturbo

04-22-2015, 11:42 AM #2
Hi, the forum won't scroll sideways so I can't read your post
raysorenson
04-22-2015, 11:42 AM #2

Hi, the forum won't scroll sideways so I can't read your post

04-22-2015, 11:59 AM #3
Stra+A & Strg+V & some cleaning; for your reading pleasures:

Quote:Hey all I have a om617 swap in my toyota crawler. First I wanna say that you all have helped me with many questions i have asked and I constantly search for answers here.

but I have ran into a problem I can not find the answer too. I swapped a om617 into my 4runner back in August and it has been running fantasticly, and it was easily 100*f with no over heating issues.  

I was wheeling the other day and it got a little warm but not dangerous. I parked the truck at the top of the hill and went for a hike. When I returned I noticed that almost all the coolant boiled out of the coolant resivor. I filled it back up with water and the system then returned home (80 miles) with no issues. Then 5 days later (yesterday) I was driving home from work and I pulled into my drive way and the coolant was literally boiling out of the resivor.

I went and squeezed both upper and lower hoses and there was no coolant in them just air. But yet my resivor is completely full. I let it sit 5 min and started it back up and all the coolant rushed back into the system. I really need help on this because I'm afraid to take it wheeling with my family and getting stranded. Thank you
This post was last modified: 04-22-2015, 12:00 PM by DiseaselWeasel.

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
04-22-2015, 11:59 AM #3

Stra+A & Strg+V & some cleaning; for your reading pleasures:

Quote:Hey all I have a om617 swap in my toyota crawler. First I wanna say that you all have helped me with many questions i have asked and I constantly search for answers here.

but I have ran into a problem I can not find the answer too. I swapped a om617 into my 4runner back in August and it has been running fantasticly, and it was easily 100*f with no over heating issues.  

I was wheeling the other day and it got a little warm but not dangerous. I parked the truck at the top of the hill and went for a hike. When I returned I noticed that almost all the coolant boiled out of the coolant resivor. I filled it back up with water and the system then returned home (80 miles) with no issues. Then 5 days later (yesterday) I was driving home from work and I pulled into my drive way and the coolant was literally boiling out of the resivor.

I went and squeezed both upper and lower hoses and there was no coolant in them just air. But yet my resivor is completely full. I let it sit 5 min and started it back up and all the coolant rushed back into the system. I really need help on this because I'm afraid to take it wheeling with my family and getting stranded. Thank you

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603

AlanMcR
mind - blown

04-22-2015, 12:16 PM #4
(04-22-2015, 11:59 AM)DiseaselWeasel Stra+A & Strg+V & some cleaning; for your reading pleasures:

Quote:Hey all I have a om617 swap in my toyota crawler. First I wanna say that you all have helped me with many
questions i have asked and I constantly search for answers here.

but I have ran into a problem I can not find the answer too. I swapped a om617 into my 4runner back in August
and it has been running fantasticly, and it was easily 100*f with no over heating issues.  

I was wheeling the other day and it got a little warm but not dangerous. I parked the truck at the top of the hill
and went for a hike. When I returned I noticed that almost all the coolant boiled out of the coolant resivor. I filled
it back up with water and the system then returned home (80 miles) with no issues. Then 5 days later (yesterday)
I was driving home from work and I pulled into my drive way and the coolant was literally boiling out of the resivor.

I went and squeezed both upper and lower hoses and there was no coolant in them just air. But yet my resivor is
completely full. I let it sit 5 min and started it back up and all the coolant rushed back into the system. I really need
help on this because I'm afraid to take it wheeling with my family and getting stranded. Thank you

From the posting, I am assuming that you have a N/A engine (not turbo).   Either way, my first assumption
would be a plugged radiator.   But there really isn't a short cut to testing the cooling system components,
one by one.  Fan clutch (engages when hot), water pump (clearance between impeller and housing), thermostat
(opens all the way a the correct temp), radiator (flows), radiator cap (holds pressure).  Might want to test for
combustion gasses in the coolant (blown headgasket), but that doesn't seem likely in this scenario.

Admins:  My posting also ran really wide and had to be manually edited to stay on the screen.  What changed?
This post was last modified: 04-22-2015, 12:18 PM by AlanMcR.
AlanMcR
04-22-2015, 12:16 PM #4

(04-22-2015, 11:59 AM)DiseaselWeasel Stra+A & Strg+V & some cleaning; for your reading pleasures:

Quote:Hey all I have a om617 swap in my toyota crawler. First I wanna say that you all have helped me with many
questions i have asked and I constantly search for answers here.

but I have ran into a problem I can not find the answer too. I swapped a om617 into my 4runner back in August
and it has been running fantasticly, and it was easily 100*f with no over heating issues.  

I was wheeling the other day and it got a little warm but not dangerous. I parked the truck at the top of the hill
and went for a hike. When I returned I noticed that almost all the coolant boiled out of the coolant resivor. I filled
it back up with water and the system then returned home (80 miles) with no issues. Then 5 days later (yesterday)
I was driving home from work and I pulled into my drive way and the coolant was literally boiling out of the resivor.

I went and squeezed both upper and lower hoses and there was no coolant in them just air. But yet my resivor is
completely full. I let it sit 5 min and started it back up and all the coolant rushed back into the system. I really need
help on this because I'm afraid to take it wheeling with my family and getting stranded. Thank you

From the posting, I am assuming that you have a N/A engine (not turbo).   Either way, my first assumption
would be a plugged radiator.   But there really isn't a short cut to testing the cooling system components,
one by one.  Fan clutch (engages when hot), water pump (clearance between impeller and housing), thermostat
(opens all the way a the correct temp), radiator (flows), radiator cap (holds pressure).  Might want to test for
combustion gasses in the coolant (blown headgasket), but that doesn't seem likely in this scenario.

Admins:  My posting also ran really wide and had to be manually edited to stay on the screen.  What changed?

raysorenson
Superturbo

04-22-2015, 04:31 PM #5
One thing about coolant temp sensors is that if the coolant is displaced by gas, the engine can seriously overheat without being indicated by the gauge.
raysorenson
04-22-2015, 04:31 PM #5

One thing about coolant temp sensors is that if the coolant is displaced by gas, the engine can seriously overheat without being indicated by the gauge.

carlitosgy6
Ranger Turbodiesel

04-22-2015, 06:55 PM #6
check the thermostat plus air in the system
carlitosgy6
04-22-2015, 06:55 PM #6

check the thermostat plus air in the system

617yotacrawler
Naturally-aspirated

04-23-2015, 06:51 PM #7
Ok I just got the notifications for your responses. thank you very much. It is a 617.952 turbo engine. radiator is new, 2 10" electric fans coming on at 125, new pressure cap 1000 miles ago, water pump has no play and not leaking. And I burp it for at least 45 min on a hill. I will try a coolant pressure test and attempt to see if I hear anything in crank case. a little more info on it is alda maxed, rack limiter delete,  tq capsule turned 1 / 4 turn   course idle 1/4 turn Timing 28* 25-27 lbs boost on stock kkk turbo .
617yotacrawler
04-23-2015, 06:51 PM #7

Ok I just got the notifications for your responses. thank you very much. It is a 617.952 turbo engine. radiator is new, 2 10" electric fans coming on at 125, new pressure cap 1000 miles ago, water pump has no play and not leaking. And I burp it for at least 45 min on a hill. I will try a coolant pressure test and attempt to see if I hear anything in crank case. a little more info on it is alda maxed, rack limiter delete,  tq capsule turned 1 / 4 turn   course idle 1/4 turn Timing 28* 25-27 lbs boost on stock kkk turbo .

Edian727
Dreams of 8mm 617

04-23-2015, 07:13 PM #8
My guess is a thermostat. removing it might not help either. some engines need the pressure caused by the thermostat for the water pump to work right, so if you removed it I'd put a new one in. If this is not an issue with these motors some1 chime in.
Edian727
04-23-2015, 07:13 PM #8

My guess is a thermostat. removing it might not help either. some engines need the pressure caused by the thermostat for the water pump to work right, so if you removed it I'd put a new one in. If this is not an issue with these motors some1 chime in.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

04-23-2015, 09:03 PM #9
I would definitely try the thermostat, but I also read in someone's build thread that the little pipe connecting the head and the block was plugged up and caused the engine to overheat. Don't ask me why though Smile

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
04-23-2015, 09:03 PM #9

I would definitely try the thermostat, but I also read in someone's build thread that the little pipe connecting the head and the block was plugged up and caused the engine to overheat. Don't ask me why though Smile

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin

617yotacrawler
Naturally-aspirated

04-23-2015, 11:33 PM #10
I will snag a thermoStat tomorrow and try that. And will also pull that line and see if it needs cleaned. I also just read you have a hx30. How does it respond if you don't mine me asking? I'm looking for different turbo ideas that will spool within reason for the off roading  but also help out with my egt and use a air to air intercooler. 
617yotacrawler
04-23-2015, 11:33 PM #10

I will snag a thermoStat tomorrow and try that. And will also pull that line and see if it needs cleaned. I also just read you have a hx30. How does it respond if you don't mine me asking? I'm looking for different turbo ideas that will spool within reason for the off roading  but also help out with my egt and use a air to air intercooler. 

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

04-24-2015, 09:00 AM #11
(04-23-2015, 11:33 PM)617yotacrawler I will snag a thermoStat tomorrow and try that. And will also pull that line and see if it needs cleaned. I also just read you have a hx30. How does it respond if you don't mine me asking? I'm looking for different turbo ideas that will spool within reason for the off roading  but also help out with my egt and use a air to air intercooler. 

To be honest, it only spools slightly slower than stock. Around 2200rpm probably. My egts hover at 1350F wide open, 18psi of boost, on a long pull up a steep hill. But I'm not sure how it would work off roading. I guess it depends of your in the dunes, the mud, or crawling. It WILL NOT spool faster than stock if that's what your looking for.

Oh, and it sounds cool as hell Big Grin

MFSuper90
04-24-2015, 09:00 AM #11

(04-23-2015, 11:33 PM)617yotacrawler I will snag a thermoStat tomorrow and try that. And will also pull that line and see if it needs cleaned. I also just read you have a hx30. How does it respond if you don't mine me asking? I'm looking for different turbo ideas that will spool within reason for the off roading  but also help out with my egt and use a air to air intercooler. 

To be honest, it only spools slightly slower than stock. Around 2200rpm probably. My egts hover at 1350F wide open, 18psi of boost, on a long pull up a steep hill. But I'm not sure how it would work off roading. I guess it depends of your in the dunes, the mud, or crawling. It WILL NOT spool faster than stock if that's what your looking for.

Oh, and it sounds cool as hell Big Grin

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

04-28-2015, 03:09 PM #12
Maybe partly related to your overheating, I don't think you really need to run 25-27psi boost unless your pump is really built up with bigger elements and such, I'd think the stuff you've done would be fine around 15-18 psi. Too much boost just makes heat, and especially if you're not running an intercooler then the extra heat has to go out through the cooling system. Also, are you running an exhaust temp gauge?

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
04-28-2015, 03:09 PM #12

Maybe partly related to your overheating, I don't think you really need to run 25-27psi boost unless your pump is really built up with bigger elements and such, I'd think the stuff you've done would be fine around 15-18 psi. Too much boost just makes heat, and especially if you're not running an intercooler then the extra heat has to go out through the cooling system. Also, are you running an exhaust temp gauge?

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!

617yotacrawler
Naturally-aspirated

04-29-2015, 12:04 AM #13
Yes I have egt guage, and even at full boost if 25 lbs ish in have a light haze of fuel still coming out of my exhaust so I'm set about right.
617yotacrawler
04-29-2015, 12:04 AM #13

Yes I have egt guage, and even at full boost if 25 lbs ish in have a light haze of fuel still coming out of my exhaust so I'm set about right.

barrote
Superturbo

05-01-2015, 06:43 AM #14
its easy, overheating is is a easy thing.
if your radiator, is not clogged, u may start ordering a head gasket at your local parts dealer....
sometimes the engines have the gaskest in there for 20 years and then u buy them and after 10 years u make a tune out of it, and then 30years went by and the gasket is blown, slightly blown. its so slight that u can´t see any oil fumes in the expansion thank , just a small increase in pressure and temperature.
i had a similar situation, dealt with radiator , thermostat , cleaning of channels , and then one day got to open the engine and there it was , a very small leak at the cylinder 3 and 4.
after it was repaired never passed the 83ºC .
regards.

FD,