STD Tuning Engine Turbo upgrade, stock to VNT.

Turbo upgrade, stock to VNT.

Turbo upgrade, stock to VNT.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

lajuz
Naturally-aspirated

04-23-2015, 12:34 PM #1
Let's say i have a W210 with the stock OM606.

It has the stock turbo with the vacuum actuated wastegate.

How much does the stock software differ for proper function with a VNT turbo with vacuum operation?

I have seen this topic been discussed before at other forums.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/dies...grade.html
See post #7.

I have also seen some Land rover guys done a similar mod on the TD5 engine.

Will it function ok? Or does it need a new software to run?
lajuz
04-23-2015, 12:34 PM #1

Let's say i have a W210 with the stock OM606.

It has the stock turbo with the vacuum actuated wastegate.

How much does the stock software differ for proper function with a VNT turbo with vacuum operation?

I have seen this topic been discussed before at other forums.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/dies...grade.html
See post #7.

I have also seen some Land rover guys done a similar mod on the TD5 engine.

Will it function ok? Or does it need a new software to run?

barrote
Superturbo

04-23-2015, 01:40 PM #2
U canot control properly a VNT with a 606 ECU, or yes u can same way as a WG turbo is controlled.
IN a WG, ECU aply vac to close WG
in a VNT like in a CDI engine the ECU aplyes vac to close geometry(increase in boost)
CDI engines run in a condition wich they must respect the Engine Control Program, wich is set for: Emissions, fuel consuption, smoth power delivery, ABS, Anty lock, ASR, and some other safety features.
well what has a VNT got to do with it? a lot , cause VNT type turbines can control inlet pressure, amout of EGR being ingested, and EGP for braking aplication.
how is this achieved, in pneumatic vane control , by means of vac pulses, in electric vane control by a servoelectric actuator.
this being said , a VNT type turbine is a lot more than a BOOST MAKING device, nevertheless u can use it as one.
thing is VNT turbines are limited by turbine gas flow, cause they were meant to operate in optimum speeds of 1.5K to 3.5k engine RPM.
in your case u can install the GT2359V wich is the stock in C30 AMG model OM612, and will work rather good.
or maybe another type, as far as i heard is the biggest VNT fitted in car, thing is a truck is even bad,
truck engines are made to rum at 1k to 2k at most, so .......

good luck

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
04-23-2015, 01:40 PM #2

U canot control properly a VNT with a 606 ECU, or yes u can same way as a WG turbo is controlled.
IN a WG, ECU aply vac to close WG
in a VNT like in a CDI engine the ECU aplyes vac to close geometry(increase in boost)
CDI engines run in a condition wich they must respect the Engine Control Program, wich is set for: Emissions, fuel consuption, smoth power delivery, ABS, Anty lock, ASR, and some other safety features.
well what has a VNT got to do with it? a lot , cause VNT type turbines can control inlet pressure, amout of EGR being ingested, and EGP for braking aplication.
how is this achieved, in pneumatic vane control , by means of vac pulses, in electric vane control by a servoelectric actuator.
this being said , a VNT type turbine is a lot more than a BOOST MAKING device, nevertheless u can use it as one.
thing is VNT turbines are limited by turbine gas flow, cause they were meant to operate in optimum speeds of 1.5K to 3.5k engine RPM.
in your case u can install the GT2359V wich is the stock in C30 AMG model OM612, and will work rather good.
or maybe another type, as far as i heard is the biggest VNT fitted in car, thing is a truck is even bad,
truck engines are made to rum at 1k to 2k at most, so .......

good luck

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

lajuz
Naturally-aspirated

04-23-2015, 02:00 PM #3
Okey!

Yes i know VNT's serve a multitude of purposes.
But will it run on stock software?

My biggest concern is that it may keep the vanes "closed" to long.
And overboostprotection i might avoid using a different mapsensor.

The GT2359 turbine might be hard to get. I was more thinking GT2256, GT2260 or GTB2260VKLR if i can get one on cheap.
A GT2256 can i get for almost nothing.
lajuz
04-23-2015, 02:00 PM #3

Okey!

Yes i know VNT's serve a multitude of purposes.
But will it run on stock software?

My biggest concern is that it may keep the vanes "closed" to long.
And overboostprotection i might avoid using a different mapsensor.

The GT2359 turbine might be hard to get. I was more thinking GT2256, GT2260 or GTB2260VKLR if i can get one on cheap.
A GT2256 can i get for almost nothing.

barrote
Superturbo

04-23-2015, 02:09 PM #4
No idea, about the ECU map. but anyhow it wont be able to open the vanes in half way position cause it is not made for halfway opening of the WG.
but u can try a press regulator conected to intake plenum, linked to the WG vac hose by a T, in such a way that when it reaches the desired Boost it alow a samall amout of boost to eliminate the vac and the actuator will be able to mantain a half way position.
if u understand what i mean?
any dought we´ll go from there,

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
04-23-2015, 02:09 PM #4

No idea, about the ECU map. but anyhow it wont be able to open the vanes in half way position cause it is not made for halfway opening of the WG.
but u can try a press regulator conected to intake plenum, linked to the WG vac hose by a T, in such a way that when it reaches the desired Boost it alow a samall amout of boost to eliminate the vac and the actuator will be able to mantain a half way position.
if u understand what i mean?
any dought we´ll go from there,

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

lajuz
Naturally-aspirated

04-23-2015, 02:17 PM #5
Yes i understand what you mean.

But as it is a PWM signal, why would it not be possible the set it at lets say 50%?
lajuz
04-23-2015, 02:17 PM #5

Yes i understand what you mean.

But as it is a PWM signal, why would it not be possible the set it at lets say 50%?

barrote
Superturbo

04-23-2015, 04:05 PM #6
Cause the hardware wich controls the WG actuator does not ofer the possibility of PULSES. unless u change the Electro actuator wich opens the VAC to a one able to produce VAC pulses and then u need to change the Map to produce such pulses. and since the max boost control in a WG turbo is controled through the Spring inside the vac capsule, u would have to install a means of the ECU map know the max boost in order to open the vanes.
dadada... that stuff
people i know have installed it as i explained with sucess, even able to maintain EGR system.
if u send me a email adress i can send u a picture of a instalation.
regards

FD,