STD Other Projects UK W210 E300 Turbodiesel estate sleeper project

UK W210 E300 Turbodiesel estate sleeper project

UK W210 E300 Turbodiesel estate sleeper project

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

m1tch
GT2559V

05-07-2015, 07:37 AM #1
Hi all,

I am starting a project thread for my sleeper project, the plan is to keep the exterior as stock as possible, although I might tidy up a few things such as add in LED sidelights, repaint the wheels etc but nothing major. I might also look at modernising the front end slightly fitting clear lenses to the headlights and also look at some of the subtle grill options.

The car is a '98 E300 turbodiesel estate with the standard OM606.962 engine plus a 722.6 transmission - the car is 100% bone stock, its been well looked after and the last MOT had no advisories, checking back through the service history its only really needed tyres and a few wear items such as track rod ends.

The plan is to run 1/4 miles at Santapod raceway to see what sort of time I can get out of the car in different configurations and mods. Here is the general plan for levels of mods:

Initially I will keep it quite stock but give the car a good service, adjust any cables etc - this would give me a baseline of what the car would do as stock.

Stage 1 - this would include mods that most people would be happy to do, these include air filter mods, exhaust change, resistor mod for fueling on the stock electric actuated pump.

Stage 2 - this would build on stage 1 but try and maximise the mainly stock setup, mods would include uprating the intercooler and remapping.

Stage 3 - this would include more serious modifications such as swapping out the stock elements for 8mm elements, much larger turbo such as a HX40, maybe look at water/meth injection, swap out the stock box for something else.

This project will be running for quite a while (years) and the mods would also depend on the cost of insurance - all mods will be declared.

I will post some photos up when I get the car and will report back on here with any updates I do and how it affects the performance. This thread will hopefully give others an idea of the things that work and don't work as well as any additional considerations that I might encounter.

I will also be posting up any drag times I get - will be interesting to see what happens with the autobox but there are a few good things about the autobox:
No loss of boost between shifts
Can have 'launch control' by using the footbrake to build engine load
Shift patterns can be adjusted as to when the shifts happen

This should be a fun project and I know even an unopened engine with stock internals can make silly power and torque, the key to this project is to be running quite big numbers but not get noticed in a carpark of other cars.
m1tch
05-07-2015, 07:37 AM #1

Hi all,

I am starting a project thread for my sleeper project, the plan is to keep the exterior as stock as possible, although I might tidy up a few things such as add in LED sidelights, repaint the wheels etc but nothing major. I might also look at modernising the front end slightly fitting clear lenses to the headlights and also look at some of the subtle grill options.

The car is a '98 E300 turbodiesel estate with the standard OM606.962 engine plus a 722.6 transmission - the car is 100% bone stock, its been well looked after and the last MOT had no advisories, checking back through the service history its only really needed tyres and a few wear items such as track rod ends.

The plan is to run 1/4 miles at Santapod raceway to see what sort of time I can get out of the car in different configurations and mods. Here is the general plan for levels of mods:

Initially I will keep it quite stock but give the car a good service, adjust any cables etc - this would give me a baseline of what the car would do as stock.

Stage 1 - this would include mods that most people would be happy to do, these include air filter mods, exhaust change, resistor mod for fueling on the stock electric actuated pump.

Stage 2 - this would build on stage 1 but try and maximise the mainly stock setup, mods would include uprating the intercooler and remapping.

Stage 3 - this would include more serious modifications such as swapping out the stock elements for 8mm elements, much larger turbo such as a HX40, maybe look at water/meth injection, swap out the stock box for something else.

This project will be running for quite a while (years) and the mods would also depend on the cost of insurance - all mods will be declared.

I will post some photos up when I get the car and will report back on here with any updates I do and how it affects the performance. This thread will hopefully give others an idea of the things that work and don't work as well as any additional considerations that I might encounter.

I will also be posting up any drag times I get - will be interesting to see what happens with the autobox but there are a few good things about the autobox:
No loss of boost between shifts
Can have 'launch control' by using the footbrake to build engine load
Shift patterns can be adjusted as to when the shifts happen

This should be a fun project and I know even an unopened engine with stock internals can make silly power and torque, the key to this project is to be running quite big numbers but not get noticed in a carpark of other cars.

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

05-08-2015, 06:54 AM #2
The stock 722.6 ECU in my C300TD reduces engine revs and holds the boost off when I try to stall it on the torque converter by pressing the brake and throttle.. Sad

You need mechanical pump and an Ole controller!

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
05-08-2015, 06:54 AM #2

The stock 722.6 ECU in my C300TD reduces engine revs and holds the boost off when I try to stall it on the torque converter by pressing the brake and throttle.. Sad

You need mechanical pump and an Ole controller!

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

m1tch
GT2559V

05-08-2015, 03:45 PM #3
I am going to initially see what sort of drag times I can get with a stock setup, then do some tweaks, I can also use the autobox as a manual anyway by simply starting off in '2', then just push it to 3 then 4 at the right revs.

I will post up my initial base run time and then carry on doing runs with different tweaks to see the differences - will be an interesting testbed of which mods make a difference.

I am replacing the intercooler tomorrow for another stock intercooler owing to the current one having a large boost leak owing to a stone (guessing).

I will also be doing an oil change and maybe a fuel filter change as well, I have already fitted a boost gauge and am fitted a new standard paper air filter.
m1tch
05-08-2015, 03:45 PM #3

I am going to initially see what sort of drag times I can get with a stock setup, then do some tweaks, I can also use the autobox as a manual anyway by simply starting off in '2', then just push it to 3 then 4 at the right revs.

I will post up my initial base run time and then carry on doing runs with different tweaks to see the differences - will be an interesting testbed of which mods make a difference.

I am replacing the intercooler tomorrow for another stock intercooler owing to the current one having a large boost leak owing to a stone (guessing).

I will also be doing an oil change and maybe a fuel filter change as well, I have already fitted a boost gauge and am fitted a new standard paper air filter.

m1tch
GT2559V

05-08-2015, 03:48 PM #4
Here are a few photos of it, its a standard Elegance, everything is bone stock and it doesn't have leather seats so will be lighter than heavier electric leathers!

[Image: DSC_1019_zps7uvkq2rt.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1021_zpsglftazqe.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1025_zpsxy99qxpt.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1027_zpsel0jez59.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1028_zpscn1yjlks.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1030_zpscjsxlbml.jpg]
m1tch
05-08-2015, 03:48 PM #4

Here are a few photos of it, its a standard Elegance, everything is bone stock and it doesn't have leather seats so will be lighter than heavier electric leathers!

[Image: DSC_1019_zps7uvkq2rt.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1021_zpsglftazqe.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1025_zpsxy99qxpt.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1027_zpsel0jez59.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1028_zpscn1yjlks.jpg]

[Image: DSC_1030_zpscjsxlbml.jpg]

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average