STD Tuning Engine Honed injector nozzle vs. 315 nozzle

Honed injector nozzle vs. 315 nozzle

Honed injector nozzle vs. 315 nozzle

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Torkey
Dirty Diesel

08-25-2015, 11:50 AM #1
I'm currently running the standard Bosch nozzles that have been honed to deliver more fuel.  I'm planning on replacing the nozzles at the end of this season and trying to decide if I should go with honed nozzles or go with the 315s that Greazzer sells.  Or go with the 315 and have them honed.
Anyone have opinions , or even better, data on this?
This post was last modified: 08-25-2015, 11:51 AM by Torkey.

79 300CD
82 300SD
Dirty Little Freaks Racing
Torkey
08-25-2015, 11:50 AM #1

I'm currently running the standard Bosch nozzles that have been honed to deliver more fuel.  I'm planning on replacing the nozzles at the end of this season and trying to decide if I should go with honed nozzles or go with the 315s that Greazzer sells.  Or go with the 315 and have them honed.
Anyone have opinions , or even better, data on this?

79 300CD
82 300SD

Greazzer
Superturbo

08-25-2015, 12:25 PM #2
no data on custom ground pintles except please share your experience on those. Who does that service in CONUS?

I know first hand that #315s flow around 15% more fuel than any other drop in replacement. I measured it when I did a little testing a year or two ago. I measured 100 or so pops. The measurement was not precise, to the mL, but it was pretty close to say 15%. Plus, the spray goes a little wild in the container, lines the walls of the plastic bottle I used, et cet. But, it was enough to measure and to "eye-ball" the difference. I can say that the exact specs for any nozzle are closely guarded secrets, and I have not been able to find any of that info on the net.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...
Greazzer
08-25-2015, 12:25 PM #2

no data on custom ground pintles except please share your experience on those. Who does that service in CONUS?

I know first hand that #315s flow around 15% more fuel than any other drop in replacement. I measured it when I did a little testing a year or two ago. I measured 100 or so pops. The measurement was not precise, to the mL, but it was pretty close to say 15%. Plus, the spray goes a little wild in the container, lines the walls of the plastic bottle I used, et cet. But, it was enough to measure and to "eye-ball" the difference. I can say that the exact specs for any nozzle are closely guarded secrets, and I have not been able to find any of that info on the net.

Ninth Year Anniversary with STD on 1-9-2020

visit:  www.dieselfuelinjector.guru

Project 2018: Really get the car finished -- Turbo OM617 greater than 175 MPH goal.

RED W123 - left Germany as 240D in 1982.  Full AMG body kit less rear apron, 2:65LSD, five speed Getrag 717.400, manual steering, read leather interior, manual brake conversion, electric water pump (EWP), and a bunch of other goodies ...

Torkey
Dirty Diesel

08-25-2015, 12:56 PM #3
The company I used was Dynamite Diesel.  http://www.dynomitediesel.com/#!/c19ua

Unfortunately, I didn't do before or after measurements but I did notice a little more go after I installed them.

I'm a little bit confused about how the complete injection system works.  For example:  what determines the quantity of fuel delivered?  I know the timing of delivery is 100% the IP but doesn't the IP also control the quantity of fuel?  And can I cross a line and have an injector that flows too much?

And then there are the questions about length of delivery.  Nozzles that flow more should result in a shorter delivery time.  I think that would be a good thing, but maybe not.

Taking a trip down the fuel rabbit hole..  hope I can find my back out. :-)

79 300CD
82 300SD
Torkey
08-25-2015, 12:56 PM #3

The company I used was Dynamite Diesel.  http://www.dynomitediesel.com/#!/c19ua

Unfortunately, I didn't do before or after measurements but I did notice a little more go after I installed them.

I'm a little bit confused about how the complete injection system works.  For example:  what determines the quantity of fuel delivered?  I know the timing of delivery is 100% the IP but doesn't the IP also control the quantity of fuel?  And can I cross a line and have an injector that flows too much?

And then there are the questions about length of delivery.  Nozzles that flow more should result in a shorter delivery time.  I think that would be a good thing, but maybe not.

Taking a trip down the fuel rabbit hole..  hope I can find my back out. :-)

79 300CD
82 300SD

Simpler=Better
PORTED HEAD

08-25-2015, 02:23 PM #4
The pump plunger comes up, the delivery valve opens, the lines are pressurized, the spring in the injector pops backward, relieving the pressure and spraying into the engine.

If you cut the DVs, you get a really long injection event(high EGTs, jerky power, but lots of power in really short mash the pedal bursts)

If you increase the plunger size, you get more volume through the fixed nozzle tip, via higher supply pressure and larger displacement. Dieselmenken does this.

The larger nozzles allow more fuel through with the same stock plungers/pressure, but you have a theoretical limit-if the hole is too big it might not mist? ('m not familiar).

Could you increase the injector pop pressure, injector nozzle hole size, and then advance the pump timing to bring it all back to the correct timing?

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?
Simpler=Better
08-25-2015, 02:23 PM #4

The pump plunger comes up, the delivery valve opens, the lines are pressurized, the spring in the injector pops backward, relieving the pressure and spraying into the engine.

If you cut the DVs, you get a really long injection event(high EGTs, jerky power, but lots of power in really short mash the pedal bursts)

If you increase the plunger size, you get more volume through the fixed nozzle tip, via higher supply pressure and larger displacement. Dieselmenken does this.

The larger nozzles allow more fuel through with the same stock plungers/pressure, but you have a theoretical limit-if the hole is too big it might not mist? ('m not familiar).

Could you increase the injector pop pressure, injector nozzle hole size, and then advance the pump timing to bring it all back to the correct timing?

Newbie-read this: Cheap Tricks
617.952-220k-Getting built up
larsalan I guess I need to look at this stupid ass drip shit. What you have to like mess with those elements on the pump? What a fucking hassle. then use some wire to hold the throttle open or some shit?

08-25-2015, 03:19 PM #5
I like to read the green Bosch inline pump book if I have questions like these Wink Can't recommend it enough!

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603
DiseaselWeasel
08-25-2015, 03:19 PM #5

I like to read the green Bosch inline pump book if I have questions like these Wink Can't recommend it enough!

'88 300CD Turbo Coupé - OM603

Volker407
naturally aspirated

08-25-2015, 04:43 PM #6
(08-25-2015, 12:56 PM)Torkey The company I used was Dynamite Diesel.  http://www.dynomitediesel.com/#!/c19ua

I'm a little bit confused about how the complete injection system works.

On DI engines nozzle honing is a good idea and proven,   on IDI nozzles it mostly makes it worse.

Quote:For example:  what determines the quantity of fuel delivered?

Mostly by the injection pump, but the nozzles influence the amount of fuel  

Quote:I know the timing of delivery is 100% the IP but doesn't the IP also control the quantity of fuel?

Yes  to both 

Quote:And can I cross a line and have an injector that flows too much?

definitely yes!

Quote:And then there are the questions about length of delivery.  Nozzles that flow more should result in a shorter delivery time.  I think that would be a good thing, but maybe not.

(Most of) the delivery time is cemented by the injection pump because it is mechanical.
Different engine situations require opposed delivery times like idle and full throttle

I already did test a few nozzles on my car, and the more you leave the "Mercedes world", the more interesting the results become - in good and bad ways.

The problem is to translate a VW, Ford, Peugeot, BMW or other nozzles to the "Mercedes engine world"

In the video  I am using basically nozzles from an old european Ford engine.

W123 300 TDT OM617A acceleration

How much faster is your race car?

Gruß
Volker
Volker407
08-25-2015, 04:43 PM #6

(08-25-2015, 12:56 PM)Torkey The company I used was Dynamite Diesel.  http://www.dynomitediesel.com/#!/c19ua

I'm a little bit confused about how the complete injection system works.

On DI engines nozzle honing is a good idea and proven,   on IDI nozzles it mostly makes it worse.

Quote:For example:  what determines the quantity of fuel delivered?

Mostly by the injection pump, but the nozzles influence the amount of fuel  

Quote:I know the timing of delivery is 100% the IP but doesn't the IP also control the quantity of fuel?

Yes  to both 

Quote:And can I cross a line and have an injector that flows too much?

definitely yes!

Quote:And then there are the questions about length of delivery.  Nozzles that flow more should result in a shorter delivery time.  I think that would be a good thing, but maybe not.

(Most of) the delivery time is cemented by the injection pump because it is mechanical.
Different engine situations require opposed delivery times like idle and full throttle

I already did test a few nozzles on my car, and the more you leave the "Mercedes world", the more interesting the results become - in good and bad ways.

The problem is to translate a VW, Ford, Peugeot, BMW or other nozzles to the "Mercedes engine world"

In the video  I am using basically nozzles from an old european Ford engine.

W123 300 TDT OM617A acceleration

How much faster is your race car?

Gruß
Volker

Torkey
Dirty Diesel

08-25-2015, 07:30 PM #7
This is exactly what I was looking for. Smile  Can you explain why honed injectors don't work for IDIs?

I think the race is little quicker up to 100mph.  But we don't get an opportunity to do a 0-100 time.  I refuse to take the car on the street for that kind of thing.  Car is not street legal.  Very bad consequences.
This post was last modified: 08-26-2015, 09:12 AM by Torkey.

79 300CD
82 300SD
Torkey
08-25-2015, 07:30 PM #7

This is exactly what I was looking for. Smile  Can you explain why honed injectors don't work for IDIs?

I think the race is little quicker up to 100mph.  But we don't get an opportunity to do a 0-100 time.  I refuse to take the car on the street for that kind of thing.  Car is not street legal.  Very bad consequences.

79 300CD
82 300SD

barrote
Superturbo

08-26-2015, 03:28 PM #8
just a small question, if i may!
what is your injection numbers, better said is your pump governor set to operate as stock?

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
08-26-2015, 03:28 PM #8

just a small question, if i may!
what is your injection numbers, better said is your pump governor set to operate as stock?

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Torkey
Dirty Diesel

08-26-2015, 03:41 PM #9
Pump governor is not stock. The max RPM is turned all the way and the torque capsule is in 3 turns.

79 300CD
82 300SD
Torkey
08-26-2015, 03:41 PM #9

Pump governor is not stock. The max RPM is turned all the way and the torque capsule is in 3 turns.

79 300CD
82 300SD

barrote
Superturbo

08-27-2015, 04:38 AM #10
so, if u really want some power u should tune the pump, once u tune the pump, u´ll figuer out that the injector nozle dadada, is snake fat thing!!!!
like someone said, whether it is DI or IDI type, the injection quantity and quality is ruled by the pump, is a phisical thing u can´t change.
Playing the Delivery valves, will help when u need 150cc for instance , lets say 0,15cc or fuel each stroke!

in a DI engine the injector , injection stream is not so important, in my country we barelly change nozles, but our diesel does not contain corosive solutions like sulphur. usually cleaning and repop will do the trick. the prechambers yes they play na important rule in the livelyness of the engine.

If u have a M pump i could help u to tune it to max fuel, but the thing is it may be necessary to reposition idle, and in the end the pump will be unsicronised , and that can only be done in a bench tester.
PM me if interested.

FD,