STD Other Projects 2004 Vito w639 OM606 Conversion

2004 Vito w639 OM606 Conversion

2004 Vito w639 OM606 Conversion

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mcwfxx
K26-2

10-29-2015, 12:05 PM #1
Work Started Yesterday on my winter project. A 2004 (rear wheel drive) w639 Vito van. After a failed variable vane turbo, and some offputting rust, and the fact i've been considering an OM606 swap, and 722.6 Auto box for while, I decided to take the plunge and start pulling the engine.

The van will have to:

- Seat 3 people (remove double bench seat, and fit seat in the back)
- Carry limited tools in removable tool box for work (and repairs ;-) )
- Retain space to take the odd 8' x 4' plywood sheet.
- Be Fun!

The current line of thought is:

- Remove all control units, electronics and fancy bits, replacing with a simple loom and fusebox (have a local salvage yard and a w124 as a donor for bits and some auto electrical experience)

- Fit om606 + 722.6 box running , making modifications to tunnel as required. Given the shape of the om606 vs the vitos short bonnet (although having a quick measure with a om603 - it could possibly fit, but probably not in the optimal position, so firewall might need adjusting). Lifting the tunnel top up slightly is no issue, especially as there will be no middle seat, and the seats are sat on tall subframes.

- modified Pump and Turbo will follow, once the physical side has been dealt with.

Would love to take the power as high as i can, the only worry is the extra weight of the van over a car - which may or not cause issues. I realise the gearboxes are rated on torque input.

Research continues on this lovely site, and so does the strip down - criticisms and advice grateflly accepted! Photos to follow.

- Sam
This post was last modified: 10-29-2015, 12:06 PM by mcwfxx.

---
W639 Vito OM606 + 722.6 STD - in progress

Current progress: engine in, gearbox in, bumper bar modified to accept w210 radiator, audi electric fan, very tight squeeze, interior stripped out ready for new seats (w211) and custom dash with w211 clocks controlled by arduino with split fuel gauge covering main tank and auxiliary for Veg Oil ...

- DSL1 ECU for Electronic OM606 Pump (currently fitting wiring)
Next; 722.6 Controller, HX40 with homemade manifold, Air-to-water intercooler, homemade exhaust, MOT.... One day!

mcwfxx
10-29-2015, 12:05 PM #1

Work Started Yesterday on my winter project. A 2004 (rear wheel drive) w639 Vito van. After a failed variable vane turbo, and some offputting rust, and the fact i've been considering an OM606 swap, and 722.6 Auto box for while, I decided to take the plunge and start pulling the engine.

The van will have to:

- Seat 3 people (remove double bench seat, and fit seat in the back)
- Carry limited tools in removable tool box for work (and repairs ;-) )
- Retain space to take the odd 8' x 4' plywood sheet.
- Be Fun!

The current line of thought is:

- Remove all control units, electronics and fancy bits, replacing with a simple loom and fusebox (have a local salvage yard and a w124 as a donor for bits and some auto electrical experience)

- Fit om606 + 722.6 box running , making modifications to tunnel as required. Given the shape of the om606 vs the vitos short bonnet (although having a quick measure with a om603 - it could possibly fit, but probably not in the optimal position, so firewall might need adjusting). Lifting the tunnel top up slightly is no issue, especially as there will be no middle seat, and the seats are sat on tall subframes.

- modified Pump and Turbo will follow, once the physical side has been dealt with.

Would love to take the power as high as i can, the only worry is the extra weight of the van over a car - which may or not cause issues. I realise the gearboxes are rated on torque input.

Research continues on this lovely site, and so does the strip down - criticisms and advice grateflly accepted! Photos to follow.

- Sam

---

Current progress: engine in, gearbox in, bumper bar modified to accept w210 radiator, audi electric fan, very tight squeeze, interior stripped out ready for new seats (w211) and custom dash with w211 clocks controlled by arduino with split fuel gauge covering main tank and auxiliary for Veg Oil ...

Next; 722.6 Controller, HX40 with homemade manifold, Air-to-water intercooler, homemade exhaust, MOT.... One day!

F.R.A.S
Holset

10-30-2015, 04:04 AM #2
I love this (LOVE) <3 It's just the perfect build and I've been searching the internet for a good car already Smile

Keep it up mate and post tons of pictures.

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.
F.R.A.S
10-30-2015, 04:04 AM #2

I love this (LOVE) <3 It's just the perfect build and I've been searching the internet for a good car already Smile

Keep it up mate and post tons of pictures.

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.

mcwfxx
K26-2

12-02-2015, 01:38 PM #3

Well things are moving along, although slowly upto now! Mainly because i've been enjoying the donor car hah.

I've removed engine and gearbox from Vito, it's pretty easy access as the front bumper bar comes off, and slam panel leaving it completely open upto inner wing, gives great access.

Today i've removed the Donor W210 engine and gearbox. I ran out of daylight, but have it out on a pallet so hoping to continue in a couple of days time. Engine mounts longer on the vito, which is interesting - but looks like they will swap over. I still can't believe (after workiing on mercs back when i did my apprenticeship at the MB dealer 12yrs ago) that the engine mounts have one bolt each holding all that power hah.

The mounts might need moving back, but the problem that will leave me with is engine fouling steering rack and column. May have to get creative with the MIG and make some cranked mount arms instead. Won't know until i crane her in and measure up!

---

mcwfxx
12-02-2015, 01:38 PM #3

Well things are moving along, although slowly upto now! Mainly because i've been enjoying the donor car hah.

I've removed engine and gearbox from Vito, it's pretty easy access as the front bumper bar comes off, and slam panel leaving it completely open upto inner wing, gives great access.

Today i've removed the Donor W210 engine and gearbox. I ran out of daylight, but have it out on a pallet so hoping to continue in a couple of days time. Engine mounts longer on the vito, which is interesting - but looks like they will swap over. I still can't believe (after workiing on mercs back when i did my apprenticeship at the MB dealer 12yrs ago) that the engine mounts have one bolt each holding all that power hah.

The mounts might need moving back, but the problem that will leave me with is engine fouling steering rack and column. May have to get creative with the MIG and make some cranked mount arms instead. Won't know until i crane her in and measure up!

---

mcwfxx
K26-2

12-06-2015, 12:40 PM #4
Another productive day, although it feels like i'm progressing loads (well i am i guess) i know this is just the easy bit!

Original vito engine mount arms bolted up nicely to the om606, as original ones on 606 too short to span across.

Cooling is going to be a problem. I think i'm happy i can get a radiator off a w124 om603 non turbo in there with enough clearance (going to have to trim a few bits on bumper) but there is no room to have a hidden intercooler. So probably top of engine mounted air to liquid one will be in order, if i can position a / multiple radiators for it perhaps infront of the wheels at either side. I'm probably going to pick up a gearbox cooler aswell from something else to take the strain off the slightly smaller engine rad. Shocked at the core thickness and cheapness of build on the vito one - when fitted its all encased in plastic crap so you never see this fact.

---

mcwfxx
12-06-2015, 12:40 PM #4

Another productive day, although it feels like i'm progressing loads (well i am i guess) i know this is just the easy bit!

Original vito engine mount arms bolted up nicely to the om606, as original ones on 606 too short to span across.

Cooling is going to be a problem. I think i'm happy i can get a radiator off a w124 om603 non turbo in there with enough clearance (going to have to trim a few bits on bumper) but there is no room to have a hidden intercooler. So probably top of engine mounted air to liquid one will be in order, if i can position a / multiple radiators for it perhaps infront of the wheels at either side. I'm probably going to pick up a gearbox cooler aswell from something else to take the strain off the slightly smaller engine rad. Shocked at the core thickness and cheapness of build on the vito one - when fitted its all encased in plastic crap so you never see this fact.

---

sorin_cel
5fingers on a hand, 5cylinders block

12-06-2015, 04:08 PM #5
With a good injection pump it can be the quickest diesel vito from UK! Smile
sorin_cel
12-06-2015, 04:08 PM #5

With a good injection pump it can be the quickest diesel vito from UK! Smile

mcwfxx
K26-2

12-06-2015, 05:01 PM #6
I hope so sorin_cel, I'm going to get her running with olefejer's gearbox controller, and an om603 pump that I have. Then once i've raised some more money, i'll go for a Holset turbo and get a Dieselmeken pump sorted.

:-)

A 120CDI Vito beater, for far less money than a 120CDI, and far more fun :-)

---

mcwfxx
12-06-2015, 05:01 PM #6

I hope so sorin_cel, I'm going to get her running with olefejer's gearbox controller, and an om603 pump that I have. Then once i've raised some more money, i'll go for a Holset turbo and get a Dieselmeken pump sorted.

:-)

A 120CDI Vito beater, for far less money than a 120CDI, and far more fun :-)

---

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

12-08-2015, 09:02 AM #7
Awesome build! Eager for more photos, and that's an interesting radiator issue you've got yourself to solve there!

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
12-08-2015, 09:02 AM #7

Awesome build! Eager for more photos, and that's an interesting radiator issue you've got yourself to solve there!

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

mcwfxx
K26-2

12-16-2015, 11:51 AM #8
a bit of progress, but i have no indoor workshop so it's a bit awkward with it being so wet her in the UK at the moment!!

I've got the radiator mounted, and the fan squeezed in. The fan is an Audi (a4 maybe) electric fan, to be controlled by the original w210 PWM controller using an arduino, which works nicely. It was the slimmest motor that i could find on a fan that had a chance of being large enough. I realise that i lose some power due to the crash bar in the way, but i don't plan to be stood still too long :-p I've had to shave the front crash bar a bit on the inside, but as it was rotten, it was probably a good thing - strange, just the centre 100mm had rotted. Maybe it hadn't got paint on it from new when it was dipped, as elsewhere is in good shape. Anyway plated it with 3mm flat plate that i had so it should be strong. I also repaired the outside at the front, with some 3mm plate. I plan to spray the whole lot externally, then fill the hollow bar with plenty of cavity wax Smile

All welds need looking over and tidying up, everything is a bit temporary, but will do that before i paint Wink It's all a very close fit. The bolt on the Air conditioning replacement idler pulley is crazy, it's an allen key head but it sticks out more than a hex head, so must swap that. 

The front grille just needs shaving where the mercedes badge is (so wont see it as behind the badge) for the fan motor to fit in. Just the result i was looking for.

More updates to follow!

---

mcwfxx
12-16-2015, 11:51 AM #8

a bit of progress, but i have no indoor workshop so it's a bit awkward with it being so wet her in the UK at the moment!!

I've got the radiator mounted, and the fan squeezed in. The fan is an Audi (a4 maybe) electric fan, to be controlled by the original w210 PWM controller using an arduino, which works nicely. It was the slimmest motor that i could find on a fan that had a chance of being large enough. I realise that i lose some power due to the crash bar in the way, but i don't plan to be stood still too long :-p I've had to shave the front crash bar a bit on the inside, but as it was rotten, it was probably a good thing - strange, just the centre 100mm had rotted. Maybe it hadn't got paint on it from new when it was dipped, as elsewhere is in good shape. Anyway plated it with 3mm flat plate that i had so it should be strong. I also repaired the outside at the front, with some 3mm plate. I plan to spray the whole lot externally, then fill the hollow bar with plenty of cavity wax Smile

All welds need looking over and tidying up, everything is a bit temporary, but will do that before i paint Wink It's all a very close fit. The bolt on the Air conditioning replacement idler pulley is crazy, it's an allen key head but it sticks out more than a hex head, so must swap that. 

The front grille just needs shaving where the mercedes badge is (so wont see it as behind the badge) for the fan motor to fit in. Just the result i was looking for.

More updates to follow!

---

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

12-17-2015, 12:20 PM #9
Hey mate whats the thickness of that fan overall?

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
12-17-2015, 12:20 PM #9

Hey mate whats the thickness of that fan overall?

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

mcwfxx
K26-2

12-17-2015, 02:40 PM #10
(12-17-2015, 12:20 PM)Hario Hey mate whats the thickness of that fan overall?

Can't guarantee 100% accuracy as its dark outside however:

Blades themselves including the "hump" in the centre is: 40mm

Blades alone without the hump in the centre is: 25mm

Overall including motor measured to centre hump too: 55mm ish

It's not that thin i guess, but the other ones i looked at they had a huge hump where motor was which was a pain. and i am running it backwards, assume they work efficiently backwards okay! They certainly power up backwards fine.

I am going to the breakers yard tomorrow morning, so if the car i got it from is still there i will get the details.

If you want one, more than happy to get you one. the only thing is i took blades off (i bent the  clip that holds the blades on) then smashed the shroud to get it out (shroud was quite a lot thicker so useless). Probably best to remove blades to post anyway.

---

mcwfxx
12-17-2015, 02:40 PM #10

Can't guarantee 100% accuracy as its dark outside however:

Blades themselves including the "hump" in the centre is: 40mm

Blades alone without the hump in the centre is: 25mm

Overall including motor measured to centre hump too: 55mm ish

It's not that thin i guess, but the other ones i looked at they had a huge hump where motor was which was a pain. and i am running it backwards, assume they work efficiently backwards okay! They certainly power up backwards fine.

I am going to the breakers yard tomorrow morning, so if the car i got it from is still there i will get the details.

If you want one, more than happy to get you one. the only thing is i took blades off (i bent the  clip that holds the blades on) then smashed the shroud to get it out (shroud was quite a lot thicker so useless). Probably best to remove blades to post anyway.

---

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

12-21-2015, 12:01 PM #11
(12-17-2015, 02:40 PM)mcwfxx

Ok thanks for the nifo! But no worries, I only have 30mm to play with.. Might have to stick with the OEM visco fan.

Looking forward to more updates!

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
12-21-2015, 12:01 PM #11

(12-17-2015, 02:40 PM)mcwfxx

Ok thanks for the nifo! But no worries, I only have 30mm to play with.. Might have to stick with the OEM visco fan.

Looking forward to more updates!

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

mcwfxx
K26-2

01-04-2016, 11:25 AM #12
minor Update,

Trashed the om603 fuel pump i was hoping to get dieselmeken's treatment on, broke mounting lug off. Absolutely gutted.

Anyone had one welded?

making some OLED gauges with Arduinos. This is just an example of what can be done, can use a proper thermocouple and a driver board (ordered board) for an EGT gauge. Can easily set alarms etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fBSDhNhdVk

I've also been experimenting with w211 dashboard instrument cluster. Will go nicely with Ole's new OLED gear display. Smile

I have managed to drive the rev counter, speedometer and clock and warning lights with an arduino just need to get some more bits and i'll start assembling the cluster properly. Should be fairly easy to calibrate and recalibrate speed for different tyres etc :-)

excuse my mrs message to me on my laptop ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtVV3T-IkEg

Weather stopping more outside work happening.... need to paint a few bits in engine bay, but it's s o damp.

---

mcwfxx
01-04-2016, 11:25 AM #12

minor Update,

Trashed the om603 fuel pump i was hoping to get dieselmeken's treatment on, broke mounting lug off. Absolutely gutted.

Anyone had one welded?

making some OLED gauges with Arduinos. This is just an example of what can be done, can use a proper thermocouple and a driver board (ordered board) for an EGT gauge. Can easily set alarms etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fBSDhNhdVk

I've also been experimenting with w211 dashboard instrument cluster. Will go nicely with Ole's new OLED gear display. Smile

I have managed to drive the rev counter, speedometer and clock and warning lights with an arduino just need to get some more bits and i'll start assembling the cluster properly. Should be fairly easy to calibrate and recalibrate speed for different tyres etc :-)

excuse my mrs message to me on my laptop ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtVV3T-IkEg

Weather stopping more outside work happening.... need to paint a few bits in engine bay, but it's s o damp.

---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average