STD Tuning Engine om 606 + holset hx 40 + which IP for minimum smoke?

om 606 + holset hx 40 + which IP for minimum smoke?

om 606 + holset hx 40 + which IP for minimum smoke?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

hansdampf
Naturally-aspirated

01-01-2016, 05:05 AM #1
Hi folks,

with the best whishes for a happy and peaceful 2016 I am interested in your experience.

I am in the middle of my std-project. 90% is mounted. But: whith the first start, my om 606
ran away due to my 7mm-pump stuck fully open … - engine seems to have survived the three minutes at est. 6000rpm cold ...

Now I am driving the old series pump turned open to the max ….

As I now have to open and dismantle the stuck 7mm-pump I am thinking of putting in bigger elements for cleaner combustion … (100cc … don´t know) …

Some folks say, bigger elements - shorter injection time for same volume - cleaner combustion (which was my goal together which 350 - 400 hp …)

What is your opinion?

cheers
hansdampf
hansdampf
01-01-2016, 05:05 AM #1

Hi folks,

with the best whishes for a happy and peaceful 2016 I am interested in your experience.

I am in the middle of my std-project. 90% is mounted. But: whith the first start, my om 606
ran away due to my 7mm-pump stuck fully open … - engine seems to have survived the three minutes at est. 6000rpm cold ...

Now I am driving the old series pump turned open to the max ….

As I now have to open and dismantle the stuck 7mm-pump I am thinking of putting in bigger elements for cleaner combustion … (100cc … don´t know) …

Some folks say, bigger elements - shorter injection time for same volume - cleaner combustion (which was my goal together which 350 - 400 hp …)

What is your opinion?

cheers
hansdampf

PedroFerreira
GTA2056V

01-01-2016, 10:22 AM #2
Why you dont use hx35 for fast spool?
PedroFerreira
01-01-2016, 10:22 AM #2

Why you dont use hx35 for fast spool?

hansdampf
Naturally-aspirated

01-01-2016, 02:35 PM #3
Ahm - because I wanted the hx 40?

Thx for reply… - but

still: which Ip do y´all recommend together with holset hx 40?

Thinking of 8 or 8,5 mm elements … short injection time - 12 degrees past … . 2,0 - 2,3 boost - depends on egt … - 

on the other hand…

the bigger the elements, the beastier to drive?  Dodgy

What do you think?

Best regards
hansdampf
01-01-2016, 02:35 PM #3

Ahm - because I wanted the hx 40?

Thx for reply… - but

still: which Ip do y´all recommend together with holset hx 40?

Thinking of 8 or 8,5 mm elements … short injection time - 12 degrees past … . 2,0 - 2,3 boost - depends on egt … - 

on the other hand…

the bigger the elements, the beastier to drive?  Dodgy

What do you think?

Best regards

Turbo
Holset

01-01-2016, 06:23 PM #4
Who has 8,5mm elements?
Turbo
01-01-2016, 06:23 PM #4

Who has 8,5mm elements?

atypicalguy
Holset

01-03-2016, 02:09 PM #5
Every pump builder has different elements. Amount of smoke is determined by regulation of fuel to correlate with amount of boost. This is determined by your LDA and your element design at low fuel idle.

. From the boost you are planning to run, efficiency of intercooler, volumetric efficiency, target afr and target rpm you geta fuel level per injector per 1000 injections.

My understanding of your motor and desired power level suggests you do not need 8mm elements. But all 7mm elements are not created equal.
atypicalguy
01-03-2016, 02:09 PM #5

Every pump builder has different elements. Amount of smoke is determined by regulation of fuel to correlate with amount of boost. This is determined by your LDA and your element design at low fuel idle.

. From the boost you are planning to run, efficiency of intercooler, volumetric efficiency, target afr and target rpm you geta fuel level per injector per 1000 injections.

My understanding of your motor and desired power level suggests you do not need 8mm elements. But all 7mm elements are not created equal.

Tito
Holset

01-03-2016, 02:52 PM #6
Well, any high power setup with HX40 would probably always produce some smoke IMO... I would guess getting an 8mm pump. Since a lot of folks on here get their pump from Dieselmeken (including me) why not get one of those? Or talk to the guy. He's the expert. He may recommend you a 7mm pump. To my knowledge the 8mm is a little rougher on idle. And all dieselmeken pumps are fully controllable by the user by turning some extern screws. So you could always go down in fuel
Tito
01-03-2016, 02:52 PM #6

Well, any high power setup with HX40 would probably always produce some smoke IMO... I would guess getting an 8mm pump. Since a lot of folks on here get their pump from Dieselmeken (including me) why not get one of those? Or talk to the guy. He's the expert. He may recommend you a 7mm pump. To my knowledge the 8mm is a little rougher on idle. And all dieselmeken pumps are fully controllable by the user by turning some extern screws. So you could always go down in fuel

atypicalguy
Holset

01-03-2016, 03:23 PM #7
The smoke is all about matching fuel to airflow. If a setup is designed to run a lean afr of 18:1 and has good defueling off boost, it does not need to smoke. Max power may occur at rich ratios, so tractor pullers etc tend to smoke.

Herlevi, myna and dieselmeken all make pumps. Myna has been considered best by all Fins I have asked. But they are also most expensive. Plenty of herlevi and dieselmeken Videos on YouTube also showing good results and happy customers. Ppd also make pumps but maybe not 8mm.

Best approach is to email each company and ask what they recommend for your situation. I think it makes most sense to begin with with a power level then select fuel level for pump then select turbo. But if you already have a turbo then you can work back to fuel level.
atypicalguy
01-03-2016, 03:23 PM #7

The smoke is all about matching fuel to airflow. If a setup is designed to run a lean afr of 18:1 and has good defueling off boost, it does not need to smoke. Max power may occur at rich ratios, so tractor pullers etc tend to smoke.

Herlevi, myna and dieselmeken all make pumps. Myna has been considered best by all Fins I have asked. But they are also most expensive. Plenty of herlevi and dieselmeken Videos on YouTube also showing good results and happy customers. Ppd also make pumps but maybe not 8mm.

Best approach is to email each company and ask what they recommend for your situation. I think it makes most sense to begin with with a power level then select fuel level for pump then select turbo. But if you already have a turbo then you can work back to fuel level.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average