STD Tuning Engine OM606 ran away, now it won't start. Any suggestions?

OM606 ran away, now it won't start. Any suggestions?

OM606 ran away, now it won't start. Any suggestions?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Grecy
GTA2056V

01-09-2016, 02:43 PM #1
Hi All,

I've got an OM606.962 running the stock turbo and pump from the 603 with 6mm elements. Until now it's been running great, it used to start very quickly, less than 1/2 a second on the starter, even when below freezing sitting outside and not driven for a week.

One of the injector return lines came off, and above the valve cover filled to the top with diesel.. I was driving up and incline and it must have sloshed backwards enough to get sucked in the valve cover breather, then sucked through the intake. The air filter and box was soaked in diesel.
It pegged the rpm off the scale at 7000rpm+ for maybe 5-10 seconds even though I turned it off.
It must have run out of air filled diesel and stopped with a puff of grey smoke under the hood.
No loud bang, no horrible noises other than the very high rpm. Scary stuff.
Immediately after it happened I had a really good look - it wasn't overly hot (it's cold here now), no oil or coolant anywhere it shouldn't be.
The engine oil smells burnt.

No idea if I've killed it, really want to get it to fire so I can hear if I've done major damage.

We dragged it home, cleaned it up and have been trying to get it started for a couple of days now . It turns over fine. I'm cranking on the starter with the throttle wide open, and have done that for at least 10 minutes of cranking (in 5-10 second bursts)
We've bled the entire fuel system multiple times and have strong diesel with no air bubbles coming out at each injector.
It's sucking air really strong, lots of grey smoke out the exhaust while cranking. Rarely does it even sound like it might fire.
Spraying WD-40 or "diesel start" in the air intake makes no difference.
We even manually hot-wired the glow plugs to make sure they're lighting up.

We have not done a compression check yet, we don't have the tools. When we do, is it easier to do via the injectors?

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what we can check or do to get it to fire?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Dan
Grecy
01-09-2016, 02:43 PM #1

Hi All,

I've got an OM606.962 running the stock turbo and pump from the 603 with 6mm elements. Until now it's been running great, it used to start very quickly, less than 1/2 a second on the starter, even when below freezing sitting outside and not driven for a week.

One of the injector return lines came off, and above the valve cover filled to the top with diesel.. I was driving up and incline and it must have sloshed backwards enough to get sucked in the valve cover breather, then sucked through the intake. The air filter and box was soaked in diesel.
It pegged the rpm off the scale at 7000rpm+ for maybe 5-10 seconds even though I turned it off.
It must have run out of air filled diesel and stopped with a puff of grey smoke under the hood.
No loud bang, no horrible noises other than the very high rpm. Scary stuff.
Immediately after it happened I had a really good look - it wasn't overly hot (it's cold here now), no oil or coolant anywhere it shouldn't be.
The engine oil smells burnt.

No idea if I've killed it, really want to get it to fire so I can hear if I've done major damage.

We dragged it home, cleaned it up and have been trying to get it started for a couple of days now . It turns over fine. I'm cranking on the starter with the throttle wide open, and have done that for at least 10 minutes of cranking (in 5-10 second bursts)
We've bled the entire fuel system multiple times and have strong diesel with no air bubbles coming out at each injector.
It's sucking air really strong, lots of grey smoke out the exhaust while cranking. Rarely does it even sound like it might fire.
Spraying WD-40 or "diesel start" in the air intake makes no difference.
We even manually hot-wired the glow plugs to make sure they're lighting up.

We have not done a compression check yet, we don't have the tools. When we do, is it easier to do via the injectors?

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what we can check or do to get it to fire?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Dan

Tito
Holset

01-09-2016, 02:50 PM #2
Sounds like its missing compression... I don't think you can try anything more except tow-starting it maybe?
Tito
01-09-2016, 02:50 PM #2

Sounds like its missing compression... I don't think you can try anything more except tow-starting it maybe?

Grecy
GTA2056V

01-09-2016, 03:12 PM #3
Thanks.

What size thread do I need on the compression gauge to thread it into the injector hole?

Thanks,
-Dan
Grecy
01-09-2016, 03:12 PM #3

Thanks.

What size thread do I need on the compression gauge to thread it into the injector hole?

Thanks,
-Dan

Tito
Holset

01-09-2016, 04:03 PM #4
Errrrr... I knew but I forgot.... I am pretty sure the threads on the glowplugs are M12x1.25
Tito
01-09-2016, 04:03 PM #4

Errrrr... I knew but I forgot.... I am pretty sure the threads on the glowplugs are M12x1.25

barrote
Superturbo

01-09-2016, 04:55 PM #5
don´t do that insane thing..... of tow start a engine that had a runaway situation,
first of all a really dought a 606 can melt pistons with that type of runway situation.

my sugestion, since u already cranked the engine , do it again wont harm anymore.
1. remove the internal breathing system check it for any restriction.
2. remove the head cover, confirm nothing broken in the camshafts and if they are aligned with crank, engine at OT mark u should see the crank gear marks aligned. check that all valves go down about 5 to 8mm except those wich will touch the piston, u can do that by forcing on the tappet with a big screw driver.
3. remove the vac pump , and release the left thread nut of the timing device, check IP timing if u can , if not try to start it.
then post results...
regards

this engine should fire imediatly if glow plugs work and timing is correct even if u have a blown piston valves dadada

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-09-2016, 04:55 PM #5

don´t do that insane thing..... of tow start a engine that had a runaway situation,
first of all a really dought a 606 can melt pistons with that type of runway situation.

my sugestion, since u already cranked the engine , do it again wont harm anymore.
1. remove the internal breathing system check it for any restriction.
2. remove the head cover, confirm nothing broken in the camshafts and if they are aligned with crank, engine at OT mark u should see the crank gear marks aligned. check that all valves go down about 5 to 8mm except those wich will touch the piston, u can do that by forcing on the tappet with a big screw driver.
3. remove the vac pump , and release the left thread nut of the timing device, check IP timing if u can , if not try to start it.
then post results...
regards

this engine should fire imediatly if glow plugs work and timing is correct even if u have a blown piston valves dadada

FD,