DSL1 controller

DSL1 controller

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Pages (4): Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
baldur
Fast

09-26-2017, 07:40 PM #101
(09-26-2017, 09:49 AM)CutWeldDrive hi Baldur,

is there an IP rating for the controller.

is it safe to place in engine bay or is it best to place inside vehicle

thanks

Yes, IP31, which means it's protected against moisture and ingress of large objects, but should be mounted in a location where it is not directly hit by streams of water.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
09-26-2017, 07:40 PM #101

(09-26-2017, 09:49 AM)CutWeldDrive hi Baldur,

is there an IP rating for the controller.

is it safe to place in engine bay or is it best to place inside vehicle

thanks

Yes, IP31, which means it's protected against moisture and ingress of large objects, but should be mounted in a location where it is not directly hit by streams of water.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
Fast

09-26-2017, 07:43 PM #102
(09-26-2017, 01:31 PM)jav1 Baldur-

I'm reading that the om606 needs tabs on the flywheel for crank position... is this correct even with the DSL1?  I'm trying to go manual transmission and want to know if I need to address that on the flywheel.

It does need some way of reading engine speed (and it needs to be directly coupled to the crankshaft, no belt drives), but you have a degree of flexibility in how you get it. Some have used a sensor to read the starter ring gear instead of the tabs. It's also possible to mount a sensor on the front of the engine.

Baldur

Baldur Gislason

baldur
09-26-2017, 07:43 PM #102

(09-26-2017, 01:31 PM)jav1 Baldur-

I'm reading that the om606 needs tabs on the flywheel for crank position... is this correct even with the DSL1?  I'm trying to go manual transmission and want to know if I need to address that on the flywheel.

It does need some way of reading engine speed (and it needs to be directly coupled to the crankshaft, no belt drives), but you have a degree of flexibility in how you get it. Some have used a sensor to read the starter ring gear instead of the tabs. It's also possible to mount a sensor on the front of the engine.

Baldur

Baldur Gislason

baldur
Fast

12-09-2017, 07:47 AM #103
I have made another firmware release, version 1.16 today.
Notable improvements:
- Throttle response is now filtered by an exponential decay filter that allows smoothing of torque increase and decrease configurable independently for improved drivability and less transient smoke.
- There is now a configurable strategy for dealing with engine speed oscillations on manual transmission cars with modified injection pumps.
- I have implemented OBD2 communications over CAN bus. This enables the use of aftermarket gauges that connect to the OBD2 port, mobile phone and tablet apps such as Torque that can display OBD2 data, and reading error codes reported by the ECU can be done by any OBD2 scantool, aiding diagnostics when a laptop with the Calibrator software is not at hand.

OBD2 code reader reporting software version:
[Image: f3rOpUx.jpg]

Cheap (25 US dollars) OBD2 heads up display that shows engine speed, vehicle speed and engine temperature:
[Image: 0Iu9zWm.jpg]

Baldur Gislason

baldur
12-09-2017, 07:47 AM #103

I have made another firmware release, version 1.16 today.
Notable improvements:
- Throttle response is now filtered by an exponential decay filter that allows smoothing of torque increase and decrease configurable independently for improved drivability and less transient smoke.
- There is now a configurable strategy for dealing with engine speed oscillations on manual transmission cars with modified injection pumps.
- I have implemented OBD2 communications over CAN bus. This enables the use of aftermarket gauges that connect to the OBD2 port, mobile phone and tablet apps such as Torque that can display OBD2 data, and reading error codes reported by the ECU can be done by any OBD2 scantool, aiding diagnostics when a laptop with the Calibrator software is not at hand.

OBD2 code reader reporting software version:
[Image: f3rOpUx.jpg]

Cheap (25 US dollars) OBD2 heads up display that shows engine speed, vehicle speed and engine temperature:
[Image: 0Iu9zWm.jpg]

Baldur Gislason

baldur
Fast

01-21-2018, 03:56 PM #104
I have released firmware version 1.17 now.
Most notable improvement is that now every single configuration option is documented in the config. So whenever editing a single configuration variable, a description of it is displayed on screen. When editing a function or map, the description can be brought up by pressing the F1 key on the keyboard twice.

I have also been testing for the past week with a modified injection pump in my car. Barrote built me a 7.5mm pump with Dieselmeken elements. After spending some time tuning it now drives almost as smooth as it did with the 6mm pump but of course makes much more power.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
01-21-2018, 03:56 PM #104

I have released firmware version 1.17 now.
Most notable improvement is that now every single configuration option is documented in the config. So whenever editing a single configuration variable, a description of it is displayed on screen. When editing a function or map, the description can be brought up by pressing the F1 key on the keyboard twice.

I have also been testing for the past week with a modified injection pump in my car. Barrote built me a 7.5mm pump with Dieselmeken elements. After spending some time tuning it now drives almost as smooth as it did with the 6mm pump but of course makes much more power.

Baldur Gislason

EvoPeter
GT2256V

01-23-2018, 09:45 AM #105
(01-21-2018, 03:56 PM)baldur I have released firmware version 1.17 now.

Did just inform Dieselmeken about this new firmware so they have it when they test my pump.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mercedes 190 -92, om605 Stroker 2.75L, Dieselmeken 7,5mm (160cc) EDC with Baldur DSL1 ECU, Garrett GTX3576R A/R 1.06 without WG, SMF, 716.661 (SG-S370/6) Gearbox
EvoPeter
01-23-2018, 09:45 AM #105

(01-21-2018, 03:56 PM)baldur I have released firmware version 1.17 now.

Did just inform Dieselmeken about this new firmware so they have it when they test my pump.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mercedes 190 -92, om605 Stroker 2.75L, Dieselmeken 7,5mm (160cc) EDC with Baldur DSL1 ECU, Garrett GTX3576R A/R 1.06 without WG, SMF, 716.661 (SG-S370/6) Gearbox

X Double Dot
GTA2056V

02-22-2018, 12:25 PM #106
Current DSL1 user here on my OM606 swap. (build thread --> https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/white-l...338/page-2). My setup used a stock IP and turbo. The only difference is the 3" exhaust, larger intercooler, and the fact that I've given up on the vacuum controlled wastegate actuator. I think once I've gotten the turbo a bit more controlled I'll be able to reduce the smoke while driving around. That said I've been getting a lot more smoke (not blue or white) at idle than i'd like and the driveability has been very touchy. I've gotten it a bit better by messing with some of the maps/anti stall settings. Have others on here running the stock turbo and IP been making many modifications to their fuel/idle maps? / Can this thread be a good one to post config files, discuss changes to improve tuning using this ecu?
X Double Dot
02-22-2018, 12:25 PM #106

Current DSL1 user here on my OM606 swap. (build thread --> https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/white-l...338/page-2). My setup used a stock IP and turbo. The only difference is the 3" exhaust, larger intercooler, and the fact that I've given up on the vacuum controlled wastegate actuator. I think once I've gotten the turbo a bit more controlled I'll be able to reduce the smoke while driving around. That said I've been getting a lot more smoke (not blue or white) at idle than i'd like and the driveability has been very touchy. I've gotten it a bit better by messing with some of the maps/anti stall settings. Have others on here running the stock turbo and IP been making many modifications to their fuel/idle maps? / Can this thread be a good one to post config files, discuss changes to improve tuning using this ecu?

baldur
Fast

02-22-2018, 06:04 PM #107
(02-22-2018, 12:25 PM)X Double Dot Current DSL1 user here on my OM606 swap. (build thread --> https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/white-l...338/page-2).  My setup used a stock IP and turbo.  The only difference is the 3" exhaust, larger intercooler, and the fact that I've given up on the vacuum controlled wastegate actuator.  I think once I've gotten the turbo a bit more controlled I'll be able to reduce the smoke while driving around.  That said I've been getting a lot more smoke (not blue or white) at idle than i'd like and the driveability has been very touchy.  I've gotten it a bit better by messing with some of the maps/anti stall settings.  Have others on here running the stock turbo and IP been making many modifications to their fuel/idle maps? / Can this thread be a good one to post config files, discuss changes to improve tuning using this ecu?

I don't object to that, but I'd like to let you know that the product comes with support. You are free to send me an e-mail with your configuration and a data log of how it runs and I will give my opinion on what your tune needs.
Also, if you are getting smoke at idle there's probably nothing the ECU can do to contain that, that's going to be a mechanical issue of some sort.

Baldur

Baldur Gislason

baldur
02-22-2018, 06:04 PM #107

(02-22-2018, 12:25 PM)X Double Dot Current DSL1 user here on my OM606 swap. (build thread --> https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/white-l...338/page-2).  My setup used a stock IP and turbo.  The only difference is the 3" exhaust, larger intercooler, and the fact that I've given up on the vacuum controlled wastegate actuator.  I think once I've gotten the turbo a bit more controlled I'll be able to reduce the smoke while driving around.  That said I've been getting a lot more smoke (not blue or white) at idle than i'd like and the driveability has been very touchy.  I've gotten it a bit better by messing with some of the maps/anti stall settings.  Have others on here running the stock turbo and IP been making many modifications to their fuel/idle maps? / Can this thread be a good one to post config files, discuss changes to improve tuning using this ecu?

I don't object to that, but I'd like to let you know that the product comes with support. You are free to send me an e-mail with your configuration and a data log of how it runs and I will give my opinion on what your tune needs.
Also, if you are getting smoke at idle there's probably nothing the ECU can do to contain that, that's going to be a mechanical issue of some sort.

Baldur

Baldur Gislason

AlanMcR
mind - blown

02-22-2018, 06:40 PM #108
(02-22-2018, 06:04 PM)baldur ...
Also, if you are getting smoke at idle there's probably nothing the ECU can do to contain that, that's going to be a mechanical issue of some sort...

My thinking too. Smoke at idle is timing, injectors, or compression. None of which are controlled by the ECU.
AlanMcR
02-22-2018, 06:40 PM #108

Also, if you are getting smoke at idle there's probably nothing the ECU can do to contain that, that's going to be a mechanical issue of some sort...

My thinking too. Smoke at idle is timing, injectors, or compression. None of which are controlled by the ECU.

X Double Dot
GTA2056V

02-23-2018, 01:43 PM #109
(02-22-2018, 06:40 PM)AlanMcR

My thinking too.  Smoke at idle is timing, injectors, or compression.  None of which are controlled by the ECU.

yea, that was my thinking too, figured I'd throw it out there in case there was something I was missing.  The owner of the car where I got my doner engine struck me as someone who would have never touched the IP timing, and the engine is only at 120k, so I was hoping I wouldn't have to mess with injectors or the pump, but I'll have a look what I can do to confirm everything there is correct.

Baldur, thanks for offering that.  I didn't want to burden you every time I had a question haha.  Maybe I'll create another thread (so that I don't thread jack this one) where people can post maps/build some tuning knowledge, kind of like the threads evom had (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecufla...s-180.html)?

To others following this thread I should add that I've messed up a thing or two along the way to setting up the controller and Baldur has been extremely responsive and helpful in getting it up and running.  So if you are on the fence about the controller just know the support system works!
X Double Dot
02-23-2018, 01:43 PM #109

(02-22-2018, 06:40 PM)AlanMcR

My thinking too.  Smoke at idle is timing, injectors, or compression.  None of which are controlled by the ECU.

yea, that was my thinking too, figured I'd throw it out there in case there was something I was missing.  The owner of the car where I got my doner engine struck me as someone who would have never touched the IP timing, and the engine is only at 120k, so I was hoping I wouldn't have to mess with injectors or the pump, but I'll have a look what I can do to confirm everything there is correct.

Baldur, thanks for offering that.  I didn't want to burden you every time I had a question haha.  Maybe I'll create another thread (so that I don't thread jack this one) where people can post maps/build some tuning knowledge, kind of like the threads evom had (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecufla...s-180.html)?

To others following this thread I should add that I've messed up a thing or two along the way to setting up the controller and Baldur has been extremely responsive and helpful in getting it up and running.  So if you are on the fence about the controller just know the support system works!

baldur
Fast

03-17-2018, 06:21 PM #110
Another big update. Released firmware version 1.20 today.
The major change is that now it is no longer necessary to modify the glow plug relay to work. I have reverse engineered the serial protocol used to communicate with the Mercedes glow plug relays so the standard relay from the W210 can be used unmodified.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
03-17-2018, 06:21 PM #110

Another big update. Released firmware version 1.20 today.
The major change is that now it is no longer necessary to modify the glow plug relay to work. I have reverse engineered the serial protocol used to communicate with the Mercedes glow plug relays so the standard relay from the W210 can be used unmodified.

Baldur Gislason

Mr.Emo
Nissan Patrol -> 606 conversion.

03-18-2018, 02:23 AM #111
Amazing, is there a way you to add a function like "pre heat"? I am putting the 606 in a patrol and would love to wire up a switch that allows me to les the engine run slightly above idle to warm up.
Mr.Emo
03-18-2018, 02:23 AM #111

Amazing, is there a way you to add a function like "pre heat"? I am putting the 606 in a patrol and would love to wire up a switch that allows me to les the engine run slightly above idle to warm up.

baldur
Fast

03-18-2018, 06:28 AM #112
(03-18-2018, 02:23 AM)Mr.Emo Amazing, is there a way  you to add a function like "pre heat"? I am putting the 606 in a patrol and would love to wire up a switch that allows me to les the engine run slightly above idle to warm up.

That is already supported. Under idle control there are two configurable idle-up inputs that can either set the idle to a raised value or add a certain value to the current target. You can use a switch connected to any unused analog input or use the cruise control set switch to toggle the fast idle.
Of course the idle speed is normally configurable as a function of coolant temperature also, the idle-up inputs are provided if you want a faster warm up or need to run the engine fast for power take off (running heavy electrical loads or air conditioning for example)

Baldur Gislason

baldur
03-18-2018, 06:28 AM #112

(03-18-2018, 02:23 AM)Mr.Emo Amazing, is there a way  you to add a function like "pre heat"? I am putting the 606 in a patrol and would love to wire up a switch that allows me to les the engine run slightly above idle to warm up.

That is already supported. Under idle control there are two configurable idle-up inputs that can either set the idle to a raised value or add a certain value to the current target. You can use a switch connected to any unused analog input or use the cruise control set switch to toggle the fast idle.
Of course the idle speed is normally configurable as a function of coolant temperature also, the idle-up inputs are provided if you want a faster warm up or need to run the engine fast for power take off (running heavy electrical loads or air conditioning for example)

Baldur Gislason

baldur
Fast

03-27-2018, 10:55 AM #113
A small update, not significant but useful to those who are using the CAN bus for integration to the car's existing systems. In firmware version 1.21 released last week it is now possible to record the traffic seen on the CAN network via the Calibrator application. This aids with diagnostics and figuring out the CAN protocols employed by the car's network.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
03-27-2018, 10:55 AM #113

A small update, not significant but useful to those who are using the CAN bus for integration to the car's existing systems. In firmware version 1.21 released last week it is now possible to record the traffic seen on the CAN network via the Calibrator application. This aids with diagnostics and figuring out the CAN protocols employed by the car's network.

Baldur Gislason

Doug F
Naturally-aspirated

04-30-2018, 07:05 AM #114
Since there are a few of you guys running the DSL1 now, how many have restored Cruise Control? How did you build your harness?

Baldur, a question, can you build-in or add a harness for guys who are less electronically confident? I have replaced connectors before, but when it comes to resistors, solenoids and relays, I am lost and fear that I won't be able to get my car up and running in a weekend to drive to work.

Any other guys have any issues? Any pictures? Where have you located your DSL?

Doug F.

So. Florida, USA

99 W210 E300TD
92 W140 300SD
Doug F
04-30-2018, 07:05 AM #114

Since there are a few of you guys running the DSL1 now, how many have restored Cruise Control? How did you build your harness?

Baldur, a question, can you build-in or add a harness for guys who are less electronically confident? I have replaced connectors before, but when it comes to resistors, solenoids and relays, I am lost and fear that I won't be able to get my car up and running in a weekend to drive to work.

Any other guys have any issues? Any pictures? Where have you located your DSL?

Doug F.

So. Florida, USA

99 W210 E300TD
92 W140 300SD

baldur
Fast

04-30-2018, 09:07 AM #115
(04-30-2018, 07:05 AM)Doug F Since there are a few of you guys running the DSL1 now, how many have restored Cruise Control?  How did you build your harness?  

Baldur, a question, can you build-in or add a harness for guys who are less electronically confident?  I have replaced connectors before, but when it comes to resistors, solenoids and relays, I am lost and fear that I won't be able to get my car up and running in a weekend to drive to work.  

Any other guys have any issues?  Any pictures?  Where have you located your DSL?

I am considering offering that, but to do so I need to find a reliable source of every connector used.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
04-30-2018, 09:07 AM #115

(04-30-2018, 07:05 AM)Doug F Since there are a few of you guys running the DSL1 now, how many have restored Cruise Control?  How did you build your harness?  

Baldur, a question, can you build-in or add a harness for guys who are less electronically confident?  I have replaced connectors before, but when it comes to resistors, solenoids and relays, I am lost and fear that I won't be able to get my car up and running in a weekend to drive to work.  

Any other guys have any issues?  Any pictures?  Where have you located your DSL?

I am considering offering that, but to do so I need to find a reliable source of every connector used.

Baldur Gislason

Mr.Emo

06-12-2018, 12:39 AM #116
Hey Baldur.
I was wondering if there is an input for telling the ecu that the AC has been turned on? Or is that not needed?
Mr.Emo
06-12-2018, 12:39 AM #116

Hey Baldur.
I was wondering if there is an input for telling the ecu that the AC has been turned on? Or is that not needed?

baldur
Fast

06-13-2018, 05:46 AM #117
It's not strictly necessary, but there are idle up functions that you can assign to any free input to make the engine idle faster.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
06-13-2018, 05:46 AM #117

It's not strictly necessary, but there are idle up functions that you can assign to any free input to make the engine idle faster.

Baldur Gislason

XBB240
Naturally-aspirated

06-17-2018, 03:23 AM #118
Hello Baldur
I have now done all the wiring and when I connected the box to my laptop to do a Pedal position sensor calibration I get error1 
At first I did not connect the secondary signal on pin nr 3 on the ECU because on my pedal that is from 0-2,5V,  when I depress the pedal fully I can hear the rack moving but at about 15-20% I hear it clicks in the pump and I get 4 error1 after that no more movements in the pump, the fauls is Throttle sensors diagree
And pedal secondary is on 30% see attached file error 1 

If I connect the  Pedal position sensor secondary on pin 3 I get 8 error1 and when I depress the pedal it go upp to 15 error1 and there is no sound of movement from the pump at all and the error is 
Secondary throttle out of range
Throttle pedal voltage to high 
Throttle sensor disagree 
The pedal secondary is now on 100% and starts to go down to about 65% after I depress the pedal 40-50 % 
see attached file error 2

Is this because I am not using a TPS from a W210 car it is from a W211? The secondary pedal sensor is 0-2,5V not 0-5 V primary is 0-5V
If it is because of the pedal Can a do Changes in the value setings in the ECU so it match my pedal or do I need a pedal from a W210 car with a OM606 engine?

I started the engine yesterday and if I dont connect the secondary signal on pin 3 I can rev the engine a little bit abot the 15 % I wrote erlier if I go over that the pedal gets disconnected and the engine runs on low idle speed.
Attached Files
Image(s)

XBB240
06-17-2018, 03:23 AM #118

Hello Baldur
I have now done all the wiring and when I connected the box to my laptop to do a Pedal position sensor calibration I get error1 
At first I did not connect the secondary signal on pin nr 3 on the ECU because on my pedal that is from 0-2,5V,  when I depress the pedal fully I can hear the rack moving but at about 15-20% I hear it clicks in the pump and I get 4 error1 after that no more movements in the pump, the fauls is Throttle sensors diagree
And pedal secondary is on 30% see attached file error 1 

If I connect the  Pedal position sensor secondary on pin 3 I get 8 error1 and when I depress the pedal it go upp to 15 error1 and there is no sound of movement from the pump at all and the error is 
Secondary throttle out of range
Throttle pedal voltage to high 
Throttle sensor disagree 
The pedal secondary is now on 100% and starts to go down to about 65% after I depress the pedal 40-50 % 
see attached file error 2

Is this because I am not using a TPS from a W210 car it is from a W211? The secondary pedal sensor is 0-2,5V not 0-5 V primary is 0-5V
If it is because of the pedal Can a do Changes in the value setings in the ECU so it match my pedal or do I need a pedal from a W210 car with a OM606 engine?

I started the engine yesterday and if I dont connect the secondary signal on pin 3 I can rev the engine a little bit abot the 15 % I wrote erlier if I go over that the pedal gets disconnected and the engine runs on low idle speed.

Attached Files
Image(s)

atypicalguy
Holset

06-17-2018, 04:13 PM #119
I have two wastegates requiring separate solenoids. Is it possible to control them with a DSL1 based upon MAP sensor signal and perhaps rpm and TPS?

My pump is mechanical for now, and I run a 722.3, but could upgrade both in the future. My only use for this unit at the moment would be for boost control for compound turbos.

I do not know if the DSL1 will send one or more separately configurable signals to 12v relays to actuate the solenoids.

Thanks,
Karl
atypicalguy
06-17-2018, 04:13 PM #119

I have two wastegates requiring separate solenoids. Is it possible to control them with a DSL1 based upon MAP sensor signal and perhaps rpm and TPS?

My pump is mechanical for now, and I run a 722.3, but could upgrade both in the future. My only use for this unit at the moment would be for boost control for compound turbos.

I do not know if the DSL1 will send one or more separately configurable signals to 12v relays to actuate the solenoids.

Thanks,
Karl

baldur
Fast

06-18-2018, 06:36 AM #120
(06-17-2018, 04:13 PM)atypicalguy I have two wastegates requiring separate solenoids. Is it possible to control them with a DSL1 based upon MAP sensor signal and perhaps rpm and TPS?

Thanks,
Karl

It is possible to do this. You have a boost control loop and you also have general purpose PID controls. You would need to fit a separate pressure sensor for the intermediate pressure.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
06-18-2018, 06:36 AM #120

(06-17-2018, 04:13 PM)atypicalguy I have two wastegates requiring separate solenoids. Is it possible to control them with a DSL1 based upon MAP sensor signal and perhaps rpm and TPS?

Thanks,
Karl

It is possible to do this. You have a boost control loop and you also have general purpose PID controls. You would need to fit a separate pressure sensor for the intermediate pressure.

Baldur Gislason

atypicalguy
Holset

06-20-2018, 05:41 PM #121
(06-18-2018, 06:36 AM)baldur

Thanks,
Karl

So would pin 9 and pin 10 send 12v 3A signals to each of the solenoids directly?
atypicalguy
06-20-2018, 05:41 PM #121

Thanks,
Karl

So would pin 9 and pin 10 send 12v 3A signals to each of the solenoids directly?

baldur
Fast

06-20-2018, 07:47 PM #122
(06-20-2018, 05:41 PM)atypicalguy

Thanks,
Karl

They would give a ground to each of the solenoids, yes. The other wire of each solenoid would go to a +12V supply.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
06-20-2018, 07:47 PM #122

(06-20-2018, 05:41 PM)atypicalguy

Thanks,
Karl

They would give a ground to each of the solenoids, yes. The other wire of each solenoid would go to a +12V supply.

Baldur Gislason

atypicalguy
Holset

06-22-2018, 09:59 PM #123
Oh I see how they work now. Perfect. That should do the trick nicely.

I will download the software and check it out.

Thank You
atypicalguy
06-22-2018, 09:59 PM #123

Oh I see how they work now. Perfect. That should do the trick nicely.

I will download the software and check it out.

Thank You

baldur
Fast

06-24-2018, 07:14 PM #124
Firmware 1.22 released.
Most notable change is there are now more programmable outputs, as there is a new board revision that has more outputs.
Another notable change is I have developed a feature that allows better drivability with 7.5 and 8mm pumps. If you have a 7.5 or 8mm pump and are using the DSL1 please contact me if you would like to give the new feature a try as it requires some changes to the tuning to work well.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
06-24-2018, 07:14 PM #124

Firmware 1.22 released.
Most notable change is there are now more programmable outputs, as there is a new board revision that has more outputs.
Another notable change is I have developed a feature that allows better drivability with 7.5 and 8mm pumps. If you have a 7.5 or 8mm pump and are using the DSL1 please contact me if you would like to give the new feature a try as it requires some changes to the tuning to work well.

Baldur Gislason

atypicalguy
Holset

06-27-2018, 07:58 PM #125
Cool.

Did you ever manage to work in a torque limiting function by gear? Gear could be sensed with a speed/rpm ratios, or by some sort of gear signal from the ofgear tcu I suppose.

Thanks.
atypicalguy
06-27-2018, 07:58 PM #125

Cool.

Did you ever manage to work in a torque limiting function by gear? Gear could be sensed with a speed/rpm ratios, or by some sort of gear signal from the ofgear tcu I suppose.

Thanks.

baldur
Fast

06-28-2018, 05:07 AM #126
(06-27-2018, 07:58 PM)atypicalguy Cool.

Thanks.

It is already possible to limit fuel based on a user defined input, but the DSL1 currently does not have the gear calculation code that my other ECUs have.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
06-28-2018, 05:07 AM #126

(06-27-2018, 07:58 PM)atypicalguy Cool.

Thanks.

It is already possible to limit fuel based on a user defined input, but the DSL1 currently does not have the gear calculation code that my other ECUs have.

Baldur Gislason

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

07-03-2018, 08:17 PM #127
Baldur, do you have a basic tutorial or can reference one for basic tuning for us "low level" tuners attempting to use the DSL1? I don't want to destroy my engine so I need to take baby steps when altering fueling, boost, etc.in the tables? Or should I just send you logs? Maybe you'll just tutor me after reviewing logs until you feel like I can spread my wings?
50harleyrider
07-03-2018, 08:17 PM #127

Baldur, do you have a basic tutorial or can reference one for basic tuning for us "low level" tuners attempting to use the DSL1? I don't want to destroy my engine so I need to take baby steps when altering fueling, boost, etc.in the tables? Or should I just send you logs? Maybe you'll just tutor me after reviewing logs until you feel like I can spread my wings?

baldur
Fast

07-05-2018, 10:51 AM #128
I do not have a good tuning tutorial written yet, I need to do so.
I'm happy to guide you through getting things dialled in.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
07-05-2018, 10:51 AM #128

I do not have a good tuning tutorial written yet, I need to do so.
I'm happy to guide you through getting things dialled in.

Baldur Gislason

XBB240
Naturally-aspirated

07-07-2018, 01:42 AM #129
Hello Baldur 

Is it possible to get a rpm signal out from the box with just one puls / RPM?
I am using the original RPM sensor to the box and to my tachometer but the sensor reads 4 pulses/RPM so my tachometer is showing the wrong RPM
I am using the engine in a boat so I am not using any original instruments.

Best regards 
Andreas
XBB240
07-07-2018, 01:42 AM #129

Hello Baldur 

I am using the original RPM sensor to the box and to my tachometer but the sensor reads 4 pulses/RPM so my tachometer is showing the wrong RPM

Best regards 
Andreas

baldur
Fast

07-07-2018, 07:49 AM #130
(07-07-2018, 01:42 AM)XBB240 Hello Baldur 

Best regards 
Andreas

Yes that is possible. If you set the tach output cylinder count to 2 you get one pulse per engine rotation.

Baldur

Baldur Gislason

baldur
07-07-2018, 07:49 AM #130

(07-07-2018, 01:42 AM)XBB240 Hello Baldur 

Best regards 
Andreas

Yes that is possible. If you set the tach output cylinder count to 2 you get one pulse per engine rotation.

Baldur

Baldur Gislason

XBB240
Naturally-aspirated

07-07-2018, 04:53 PM #131
Thats great to hear
Is there a pin dedicated for a out rpm signal
Or do I select a I/O pin in the calibrator

Best Regards
Andreas
XBB240
07-07-2018, 04:53 PM #131

Thats great to hear
Is there a pin dedicated for a out rpm signal
Or do I select a I/O pin in the calibrator

Best Regards
Andreas

baldur
Fast

07-07-2018, 05:53 PM #132
It's on programmable output 1, and you have to set it as a tachometer output.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
07-07-2018, 05:53 PM #132

It's on programmable output 1, and you have to set it as a tachometer output.

Baldur Gislason

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

07-25-2018, 09:03 AM #133
Baldur, your post #3 says vnt control is there. could you please elaborate as i'm still in the dark on controlling my GTA2359VK? Per our email exchanges, do I need to convert it to vacuum control until you have a chance to address the electronic controller later?
This post was last modified: 07-25-2018, 09:09 AM by 50harleyrider.
50harleyrider
07-25-2018, 09:03 AM #133

Baldur, your post #3 says vnt control is there. could you please elaborate as i'm still in the dark on controlling my GTA2359VK? Per our email exchanges, do I need to convert it to vacuum control until you have a chance to address the electronic controller later?

baldur
Fast

07-25-2018, 09:34 AM #134
Controlling PWM (vacuum and some electronic) and CAN based actuators is supported. If you are lucky your actuator will be PWM based, if it's LIN based I will need to get my hands on one actuator to develop the interface for it.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
07-25-2018, 09:34 AM #134

Controlling PWM (vacuum and some electronic) and CAN based actuators is supported. If you are lucky your actuator will be PWM based, if it's LIN based I will need to get my hands on one actuator to develop the interface for it.

Baldur Gislason

jav1
GT2256V

07-25-2018, 09:36 AM #135
50harleyrider-

sorry to chime in but I'm well into my 2006 f150 4x4 OM606 swap. Just ordered my DSL1 and I Pm'd you a while back to pick your brain on torque converters. If you get a chance, please shoot me a PM as I know you've already dealt with much of what I'm into now.

Thanks

John
jav1
07-25-2018, 09:36 AM #135

50harleyrider-

sorry to chime in but I'm well into my 2006 f150 4x4 OM606 swap. Just ordered my DSL1 and I Pm'd you a while back to pick your brain on torque converters. If you get a chance, please shoot me a PM as I know you've already dealt with much of what I'm into now.

Thanks

John

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

07-25-2018, 11:38 AM #136
(07-25-2018, 09:36 AM)jav1 50harleyrider-

sorry to chime in but I'm well into my 2006 f150 4x4 OM606 swap.  Just ordered my DSL1 and I Pm'd you a while back to pick your brain on torque converters.  If you get a chance, please shoot me a PM as I know you've already dealt with much of what I'm into now.

Thanks

John
Don't use a diesel torque converter. You'll find out the 606 just doesn't have the grunt to get that truck moving with a low stall like a 6.0 or 7.3 has. Stick with your gas TC. I'm going back to mine after a disastrous waste of time and money on a Hughes Performance diesel one. Baldur noticed it on the first log I sent him. I'm trying a vnt turbo off a 648 for quick spool before the truck goes back on the lift for the oe TC reinstall. Otherwise the E4OD performs great and should give some nice MPG figures with the Quick 4 controller.Please PM me and we'll compare notes.
This post was last modified: 07-25-2018, 11:47 AM by 50harleyrider.
50harleyrider
07-25-2018, 11:38 AM #136

(07-25-2018, 09:36 AM)jav1 50harleyrider-

sorry to chime in but I'm well into my 2006 f150 4x4 OM606 swap.  Just ordered my DSL1 and I Pm'd you a while back to pick your brain on torque converters.  If you get a chance, please shoot me a PM as I know you've already dealt with much of what I'm into now.

Thanks

John
Don't use a diesel torque converter. You'll find out the 606 just doesn't have the grunt to get that truck moving with a low stall like a 6.0 or 7.3 has. Stick with your gas TC. I'm going back to mine after a disastrous waste of time and money on a Hughes Performance diesel one. Baldur noticed it on the first log I sent him. I'm trying a vnt turbo off a 648 for quick spool before the truck goes back on the lift for the oe TC reinstall. Otherwise the E4OD performs great and should give some nice MPG figures with the Quick 4 controller.Please PM me and we'll compare notes.

jav1
GT2256V

07-25-2018, 12:49 PM #137
Thanks 50harley...

I sent a PM to Winmutt to get some pictures hosted & posted in the project section but I'm not sure If my PM's are working?? I've sent several to you & others but never get a response. PM me your email if you wouldn't mind... I'd love to compare notes.

On the converter... I can't use mine because it's a 12.75" on the 5.4 3 valve triton- and it won't fit on the OM606 flex plate without interfering with the starter. I'm going with a high stall 11.25" from a 2004 Mercury marauder. I'm told this flywheel is the strongest (internally brazed from the factory) that has 31 splines and a locking clutch (both needed from my 4r75e transmission).
jav1
07-25-2018, 12:49 PM #137

Thanks 50harley...

I sent a PM to Winmutt to get some pictures hosted & posted in the project section but I'm not sure If my PM's are working?? I've sent several to you & others but never get a response. PM me your email if you wouldn't mind... I'd love to compare notes.

On the converter... I can't use mine because it's a 12.75" on the 5.4 3 valve triton- and it won't fit on the OM606 flex plate without interfering with the starter. I'm going with a high stall 11.25" from a 2004 Mercury marauder. I'm told this flywheel is the strongest (internally brazed from the factory) that has 31 splines and a locking clutch (both needed from my 4r75e transmission).

baldur
Fast

08-20-2018, 06:49 PM #138
[Image: 2018_08_20_19_25_56.sized.jpg]
I did some testing recently and I can report that controlling a VP37 pump off an OM602.982 required only minimal changes to the firmware. This opens up the possibility of controlling a whole lot of engines other than the OM605/OM606.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
08-20-2018, 06:49 PM #138

[Image: 2018_08_20_19_25_56.sized.jpg]
I did some testing recently and I can report that controlling a VP37 pump off an OM602.982 required only minimal changes to the firmware. This opens up the possibility of controlling a whole lot of engines other than the OM605/OM606.

Baldur Gislason

Mr.Emo

08-21-2018, 09:01 AM #139
That is amazing! Keep up the good work!  Heart  Smile Smile
Mr.Emo
08-21-2018, 09:01 AM #139

That is amazing! Keep up the good work!  Heart  Smile Smile

anothernord
Naturally-aspirated

10-19-2018, 02:18 PM #140
I figured I would ask questions on the forum so that others with the same question can find an answer.

I have the DSL1 installed and running in my Land Cruiser 80 project with the default settings in the v1.22 config file. The target idle speed is 700 or so, but after several minutes of idling (at normal operating temp, verified by coolant temp sensor), the idle will slowly creep up to 2000 RPM and remain steady.

It looks like the integrator gain for the idle control is set to 1, so I would think it shouldn't have any steady-state error. Should I try increasing the I gain or is there another issue? My timing is fairly advanced, so I wonder if the "Approximate fuel needed" map needs to have its values reduced.
anothernord
10-19-2018, 02:18 PM #140

I figured I would ask questions on the forum so that others with the same question can find an answer.

I have the DSL1 installed and running in my Land Cruiser 80 project with the default settings in the v1.22 config file. The target idle speed is 700 or so, but after several minutes of idling (at normal operating temp, verified by coolant temp sensor), the idle will slowly creep up to 2000 RPM and remain steady.

It looks like the integrator gain for the idle control is set to 1, so I would think it shouldn't have any steady-state error. Should I try increasing the I gain or is there another issue? My timing is fairly advanced, so I wonder if the "Approximate fuel needed" map needs to have its values reduced.

AlanMcR
mind - blown

10-19-2018, 06:55 PM #141
Perhaps the pump itself is sticking and not able to reduce fuel below a certain value?
AlanMcR
10-19-2018, 06:55 PM #141

Perhaps the pump itself is sticking and not able to reduce fuel below a certain value?

baldur
Fast

10-19-2018, 10:35 PM #142
(10-19-2018, 02:18 PM)anothernord I figured I would ask questions on the forum so that others with the same question can find an answer.

I have the DSL1 installed and running in my Land Cruiser 80 project with the default settings in the v1.22 config file.  The target idle speed is 700 or so, but after several minutes of idling (at normal operating temp, verified by coolant temp sensor), the idle will slowly creep up to 2000 RPM and remain steady.  

It looks like the integrator gain for the idle control is set to 1, so I would think it shouldn't have any steady-state error.  Should I try increasing the I gain or is there another issue?  My timing is fairly advanced, so I wonder if the "Approximate fuel needed" map needs to have its values reduced.

Yes it most likely needs either a tweak to the "approximate fuel needed for idle" setting or to the rack position request transfer function, which tells the ECU what rack position corresponds with what fuel quantity.

Baldur

Baldur Gislason

baldur
10-19-2018, 10:35 PM #142

(10-19-2018, 02:18 PM)anothernord I figured I would ask questions on the forum so that others with the same question can find an answer.

I have the DSL1 installed and running in my Land Cruiser 80 project with the default settings in the v1.22 config file.  The target idle speed is 700 or so, but after several minutes of idling (at normal operating temp, verified by coolant temp sensor), the idle will slowly creep up to 2000 RPM and remain steady.  

It looks like the integrator gain for the idle control is set to 1, so I would think it shouldn't have any steady-state error.  Should I try increasing the I gain or is there another issue?  My timing is fairly advanced, so I wonder if the "Approximate fuel needed" map needs to have its values reduced.

Yes it most likely needs either a tweak to the "approximate fuel needed for idle" setting or to the rack position request transfer function, which tells the ECU what rack position corresponds with what fuel quantity.

Baldur

Baldur Gislason

benzoschaua
Naturally-aspirated

11-04-2018, 03:40 AM #143
Hi Baldur. I have a question. Is it possible to run DSL1 parallel with the original ECU to retain Oil Temp and Water Temp in the original tachometer ?
This post was last modified: 11-04-2018, 03:41 AM by benzoschaua.
benzoschaua
11-04-2018, 03:40 AM #143

Hi Baldur. I have a question. Is it possible to run DSL1 parallel with the original ECU to retain Oil Temp and Water Temp in the original tachometer ?

baldur
Fast

11-04-2018, 03:47 PM #144
(11-04-2018, 03:40 AM)benzoschaua Hi Baldur. I have a question. Is it possible to run DSL1 parallel with the original ECU to retain Oil Temp and Water Temp in the original tachometer ?

Technically possible, but there's no reason to. The DSL1 can transmit water temp and engine speed to the original instrument cluster via CAN bus. The OM606 has no oil temperature sensor.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
11-04-2018, 03:47 PM #144

(11-04-2018, 03:40 AM)benzoschaua Hi Baldur. I have a question. Is it possible to run DSL1 parallel with the original ECU to retain Oil Temp and Water Temp in the original tachometer ?

Technically possible, but there's no reason to. The DSL1 can transmit water temp and engine speed to the original instrument cluster via CAN bus. The OM606 has no oil temperature sensor.

Baldur Gislason

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

11-07-2018, 12:43 PM #145
(08-20-2018, 06:49 PM)baldur I did some testing recently and I can report that controlling a VP37 pump off an OM602.982 required only minimal changes to the firmware. This opens up the possibility of controlling a whole lot of engines other than the OM605/OM606.

Really interested in this...

Do you think it would be reasonably possible to utilize a VP44 (or similar) on an OM606 with one of your controllers?  These are much easier to come by and get rebuilt around here.  I am also unsure of what needs to be swapped over to get a VP up and running on a OM.

Was there a 6cyl version of this VP?

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
11-07-2018, 12:43 PM #145

(08-20-2018, 06:49 PM)baldur I did some testing recently and I can report that controlling a VP37 pump off an OM602.982 required only minimal changes to the firmware. This opens up the possibility of controlling a whole lot of engines other than the OM605/OM606.

Do you think it would be reasonably possible to utilize a VP44 (or similar) on an OM606 with one of your controllers?  These are much easier to come by and get rebuilt around here.  I am also unsure of what needs to be swapped over to get a VP up and running on a OM.

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62

baldur
Fast

11-07-2018, 08:23 PM #146
(11-07-2018, 12:43 PM)SurfRodder

VP44 is very different, it has some integrated electronics and communicates via CAN bus with the ECU. I might get my hands on a VP44 equipped car to do some testing on some time. I think the VP37 comes in a 6 cylinder version on the pre-common rail BMW M57 engines. I also think VP37 has a pump head interchangeable with some mechanical VE pumps.
This post was last modified: 11-07-2018, 08:24 PM by baldur.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
11-07-2018, 08:23 PM #146

(11-07-2018, 12:43 PM)SurfRodder

VP44 is very different, it has some integrated electronics and communicates via CAN bus with the ECU. I might get my hands on a VP44 equipped car to do some testing on some time. I think the VP37 comes in a 6 cylinder version on the pre-common rail BMW M57 engines. I also think VP37 has a pump head interchangeable with some mechanical VE pumps.

Baldur Gislason

Petar
7.5mm M pump

11-13-2018, 06:01 PM #147
The VP44 doesn't have a great reputation for reliability. It was used on the 5.9 cummins from '98 to '03 i think ?? Also used on the opel 2.0 DTI engine.
It is a completely different pump compared to the VP37 or the VE. It is frankenstein combining a radial piston pump like the CAV DPA, and electronic controls, it uses a solenoid to control start and end of injection, similar to unit injector control, but it also has a timing solenoid, a triggerwheel to check the current angle of the camplate etc. And the best part ? The heat sensistive ECU is mounted right on top of the pump itself, a very hot place ! IMO it's a nightmare and not worth the effort to get it working.

In the TDI world it's a common mod to use the hydraulic head and camplate from the VP37 in a VE pump. I don't see why it couldn't work in reverse. And the best part is that you can convert the OM602 VP37 to a 6 cylinder for a 606, just swap the camplate,roller holder and hydraulic head for the 6 cylinder one. Dieselmeken probably know's more about this.
This post was last modified: 11-13-2018, 06:11 PM by Petar.
Petar
11-13-2018, 06:01 PM #147

The VP44 doesn't have a great reputation for reliability. It was used on the 5.9 cummins from '98 to '03 i think ?? Also used on the opel 2.0 DTI engine.
It is a completely different pump compared to the VP37 or the VE. It is frankenstein combining a radial piston pump like the CAV DPA, and electronic controls, it uses a solenoid to control start and end of injection, similar to unit injector control, but it also has a timing solenoid, a triggerwheel to check the current angle of the camplate etc. And the best part ? The heat sensistive ECU is mounted right on top of the pump itself, a very hot place ! IMO it's a nightmare and not worth the effort to get it working.

In the TDI world it's a common mod to use the hydraulic head and camplate from the VP37 in a VE pump. I don't see why it couldn't work in reverse. And the best part is that you can convert the OM602 VP37 to a 6 cylinder for a 606, just swap the camplate,roller holder and hydraulic head for the 6 cylinder one. Dieselmeken probably know's more about this.

CutWeldDrive
Naturally-aspirated

11-15-2018, 11:51 AM #148
Hi Baldur,

Can your controller work with the newer W463 Accelerator Throttle Position Sensor that's built into the pedal.
or are you limited to the 2 mentioned in your manual

thanks in advance
Attached Files
Image(s)

CutWeldDrive
11-15-2018, 11:51 AM #148

Hi Baldur,

Can your controller work with the newer W463 Accelerator Throttle Position Sensor that's built into the pedal.

thanks in advance

Attached Files
Image(s)

baldur
Fast

11-15-2018, 07:11 PM #149
(11-15-2018, 11:51 AM)CutWeldDrive Hi Baldur,

thanks in advance

It can use nearly any accelerator pedal sensor ever used in a drive by wire car. I think that W463 accelerator may have the same connector and pin-out as the W210 CDI sensor.
This post was last modified: 11-15-2018, 07:12 PM by baldur.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
11-15-2018, 07:11 PM #149

(11-15-2018, 11:51 AM)CutWeldDrive Hi Baldur,

thanks in advance

It can use nearly any accelerator pedal sensor ever used in a drive by wire car. I think that W463 accelerator may have the same connector and pin-out as the W210 CDI sensor.

Baldur Gislason

CutWeldDrive
Naturally-aspirated

11-15-2018, 07:16 PM #150
Thanks Baldur,
CutWeldDrive
11-15-2018, 07:16 PM #150

Thanks Baldur,

Pages (4): Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average