STD Tuning Engine OM606 late boost

OM606 late boost

OM606 late boost

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Jambo
GTA2056V

01-26-2016, 02:23 PM #1
Hi all, although not a super turbo diesel I converted my OM603 G with the OM606.
So far all is OK but I expected a hell of a lot more.
I have today replaced the injector nozzles and also fiddled with the timing. Unfortunately I did not have a timing light and was alone so I did it by ear. She used to smoke badly and idle rough after  a cold start now that seems to be sorted. BTW turned the pump towards the motor can't remember if that is advancing or retarding. The pump was initially set to spec 11 - 13deg IIRC.
My next challenge is to get some power. She is incredibly sluggish until about 3000rpm when the turbo starts boosting and I'm sure I should be getting boost before that. I actually need power in the lower rpm range so currently the OM603 would outperform this beast.
Once I'm going she runs well and boost can go up to 1.2 bar, EGT's are amazingly low and engine temps are also normal.

I am open to suggestions and thanking you in advance.
Jambo
01-26-2016, 02:23 PM #1

Hi all, although not a super turbo diesel I converted my OM603 G with the OM606.
So far all is OK but I expected a hell of a lot more.
I have today replaced the injector nozzles and also fiddled with the timing. Unfortunately I did not have a timing light and was alone so I did it by ear. She used to smoke badly and idle rough after  a cold start now that seems to be sorted. BTW turned the pump towards the motor can't remember if that is advancing or retarding. The pump was initially set to spec 11 - 13deg IIRC.
My next challenge is to get some power. She is incredibly sluggish until about 3000rpm when the turbo starts boosting and I'm sure I should be getting boost before that. I actually need power in the lower rpm range so currently the OM603 would outperform this beast.
Once I'm going she runs well and boost can go up to 1.2 bar, EGT's are amazingly low and engine temps are also normal.

I am open to suggestions and thanking you in advance.

Petar
7.5mm M pump

01-26-2016, 02:58 PM #2
What pump do you have, what elements? Sounds like you need to adjust the alda for more off boost fueling. Or the wastegate is not closing properly or maybe leaking. What wastegate actuator are you using?
Petar
01-26-2016, 02:58 PM #2

What pump do you have, what elements? Sounds like you need to adjust the alda for more off boost fueling. Or the wastegate is not closing properly or maybe leaking. What wastegate actuator are you using?

Tito
Holset

01-26-2016, 05:19 PM #3
Yeah, if you use the stock turbo you'll probably been driving with the wastegate wide open. Unless you used the original boost control, which is a vacuum controlled solenoid.
This post was last modified: 01-26-2016, 05:19 PM by Tito.
Tito
01-26-2016, 05:19 PM #3

Yeah, if you use the stock turbo you'll probably been driving with the wastegate wide open. Unless you used the original boost control, which is a vacuum controlled solenoid.

Jambo
GTA2056V

01-26-2016, 11:50 PM #4
Hi Guys, thanks for the replies.

I have a mechanical pump that was refurbished and calibrated with the 6mm elements from the original pump by a local Bosch pump shop.
I have adjusted the ALDA screw on top in by 1 turn hoping to alleviate the lack of low rpm power.

As for the wastegate, it is something I could look into. I have installed a pressure activated wastegate, but was not suspecting any fault there. From a previous TD I thought even a very small leak would rob all boost. I do get good boost like 1.2 bar but only at 3k upwards rpm. I will however check this out as a very possible cause.

Thank you for responses and keep them coming. Will report back after testing.

ReGards
Jambo
01-26-2016, 11:50 PM #4

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies.

I have a mechanical pump that was refurbished and calibrated with the 6mm elements from the original pump by a local Bosch pump shop.
I have adjusted the ALDA screw on top in by 1 turn hoping to alleviate the lack of low rpm power.

As for the wastegate, it is something I could look into. I have installed a pressure activated wastegate, but was not suspecting any fault there. From a previous TD I thought even a very small leak would rob all boost. I do get good boost like 1.2 bar but only at 3k upwards rpm. I will however check this out as a very possible cause.

Thank you for responses and keep them coming. Will report back after testing.

ReGards

barrote
Superturbo

01-27-2016, 04:28 AM #5
The deal with a 605/6 is the 6mm elements by itself can´t do nothing...(swaping the elements only will give u more 10% at the most)
U should be aware that a 603 uses with boost 40 to 42cc and a 606 60 to 65cc to realese the hidden power in a 4 valve cylinder at least 80cc is needed, and since boost build ability is directly proportional to fueling u may have your problema there....
BTW the 6mm elemento is able of 90 to 100cc depending on the pump , whereas to say that at least 90cc will be at reach .
One turn in the ALDA screw wont afect much, expecially if the ALDA is not set properly, wich is very common ....
remove it or uncrew the bolt all the way (max fueling position), and then if u want to tune it come back here i´ll direct u.
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-27-2016, 04:28 AM #5

The deal with a 605/6 is the 6mm elements by itself can´t do nothing...(swaping the elements only will give u more 10% at the most)
U should be aware that a 603 uses with boost 40 to 42cc and a 606 60 to 65cc to realese the hidden power in a 4 valve cylinder at least 80cc is needed, and since boost build ability is directly proportional to fueling u may have your problema there....
BTW the 6mm elemento is able of 90 to 100cc depending on the pump , whereas to say that at least 90cc will be at reach .
One turn in the ALDA screw wont afect much, expecially if the ALDA is not set properly, wich is very common ....
remove it or uncrew the bolt all the way (max fueling position), and then if u want to tune it come back here i´ll direct u.
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Jambo
GTA2056V

01-27-2016, 04:38 AM #6
(01-27-2016, 04:28 AM)barrote The deal with a 605/6 is the 6mm elements by itself can´t do nothing...(swaping the elements only will give u more 10% at the most)
regards

Great thanks, My pump according to pump shop was calibrated to I think it was 70cc's same as original pump (that's what they told me anyway).
The screw on the ALDA is already all the way in, so possibly this could also be an issue. They added the ALDA since the original mechanical pump did not have one.

I'm beginning to mistrust the pump shop. I also found even after they refurbished the pump that the shut off valve was leaking and I could not turn the motor off. This should not have been the case if the refurbished the pump properly as they claimed.

Would be grateful for guidance to set up the ALDA, thank you.
Jambo
01-27-2016, 04:38 AM #6

(01-27-2016, 04:28 AM)barrote The deal with a 605/6 is the 6mm elements by itself can´t do nothing...(swaping the elements only will give u more 10% at the most)
regards

Great thanks, My pump according to pump shop was calibrated to I think it was 70cc's same as original pump (that's what they told me anyway).
The screw on the ALDA is already all the way in, so possibly this could also be an issue. They added the ALDA since the original mechanical pump did not have one.

I'm beginning to mistrust the pump shop. I also found even after they refurbished the pump that the shut off valve was leaking and I could not turn the motor off. This should not have been the case if the refurbished the pump properly as they claimed.

Would be grateful for guidance to set up the ALDA, thank you.

barrote
Superturbo

01-27-2016, 07:38 AM #7
Something is not making sense here, did u had the 603 N/A or the 603 D35 td?
The 606 max fueling is 62 to 65cc, with boost and only at 1000 pump RPM. this is directions for setting since the Governor is a EDC kind. when engine is running the computer takes care of it and i seriously dought that it ever uses 60cc.
The thing with the ALDA or ADA , wich are the same thing basically, is that if u turn the screw in all the way it will cut fuel by 10 to 15% compared to having it removed or with the screw all out!!! happens that sometimes is necessary to use shims in the capsule to be able to comply with the test sheet, another issue is that governors with ALDA have a Diff Spring size than governors with ADA, and if the Spring is not set correctly there it goes the ALDA cut off performance.
Remember the ALDA cust fuel when boost is not available, it is not the other way round!!!! thats why u can remove it out.
Once it is out , check for too much smoke when u floor the engine in neutral. In neutral the engine have to smoke a bit , but u should not be able to see it by the rw mirror. if u think the smoke is too much start pushing the screw in til u fel it disapears. compare the performance with boost and without bost.... if nothing happens trash the ALDA , is not doing nothing or is damaged .
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-27-2016, 07:38 AM #7

Something is not making sense here, did u had the 603 N/A or the 603 D35 td?
The 606 max fueling is 62 to 65cc, with boost and only at 1000 pump RPM. this is directions for setting since the Governor is a EDC kind. when engine is running the computer takes care of it and i seriously dought that it ever uses 60cc.
The thing with the ALDA or ADA , wich are the same thing basically, is that if u turn the screw in all the way it will cut fuel by 10 to 15% compared to having it removed or with the screw all out!!! happens that sometimes is necessary to use shims in the capsule to be able to comply with the test sheet, another issue is that governors with ALDA have a Diff Spring size than governors with ADA, and if the Spring is not set correctly there it goes the ALDA cut off performance.
Remember the ALDA cust fuel when boost is not available, it is not the other way round!!!! thats why u can remove it out.
Once it is out , check for too much smoke when u floor the engine in neutral. In neutral the engine have to smoke a bit , but u should not be able to see it by the rw mirror. if u think the smoke is too much start pushing the screw in til u fel it disapears. compare the performance with boost and without bost.... if nothing happens trash the ALDA , is not doing nothing or is damaged .
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Jambo
GTA2056V

01-27-2016, 01:09 PM #8
Thank you for the advice
First I had an OM603 NA and then installed an OM606 TD. I got an extra pump with the motor but it was for a NA. The pump shop refurbished the pump by changing the elements and also adding the ALDA. So I have a mechanical pump with ALDA that was supposedly calibrated an ready to fit.

Tonight I started by turning the ALDA screw out by 2.5 turns, I.e the one turn I turned in plus another 1.5. In neutral the motor smoked a bit so I turned it in again by .5 an left it there. The difference is monumental. I will drive it like this and note the EGT's, boost, water temps an smoke. If all seems safe I will turn out .5 turn at a time. It is now definitely going way better than before but feel it still has a lot to give.

A big thank you for your reply. Will keep you updated.
Jambo
01-27-2016, 01:09 PM #8

Thank you for the advice
First I had an OM603 NA and then installed an OM606 TD. I got an extra pump with the motor but it was for a NA. The pump shop refurbished the pump by changing the elements and also adding the ALDA. So I have a mechanical pump with ALDA that was supposedly calibrated an ready to fit.

Tonight I started by turning the ALDA screw out by 2.5 turns, I.e the one turn I turned in plus another 1.5. In neutral the motor smoked a bit so I turned it in again by .5 an left it there. The difference is monumental. I will drive it like this and note the EGT's, boost, water temps an smoke. If all seems safe I will turn out .5 turn at a time. It is now definitely going way better than before but feel it still has a lot to give.

A big thank you for your reply. Will keep you updated.

barrote
Superturbo

01-27-2016, 02:29 PM #9
no wories,
just take it all out , my engine is running 7.5 with 120cc out of boost and is going for a long time now, and belive me it was a N/A then , run 100K on used veg and used engine oil, water álcool aviation fuel dadda everithing that burns and is still strong ....
its not your half 6mm pump that will make any harm...
any question just scream

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-27-2016, 02:29 PM #9

no wories,
just take it all out , my engine is running 7.5 with 120cc out of boost and is going for a long time now, and belive me it was a N/A then , run 100K on used veg and used engine oil, water álcool aviation fuel dadda everithing that burns and is still strong ....
its not your half 6mm pump that will make any harm...
any question just scream

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Jambo
GTA2056V

01-29-2016, 12:59 AM #10
Ok, so I have turned out the screw another full turn. When standing idling and I suddenly give it full throttle it smokes black but when doing it reasonably it does not smoke. The car now goes even better, but I still only get boost when at 2500 - 2700 rpm.
Any suggestions? It is that standard turbo on the 606 with a pressure actuated wastegate. I must admit I have not yet checked it but don't suspect anything wrong since it starts to boost and then can go up to 1.1 bar.

ReGards
Jambo
01-29-2016, 12:59 AM #10

Ok, so I have turned out the screw another full turn. When standing idling and I suddenly give it full throttle it smokes black but when doing it reasonably it does not smoke. The car now goes even better, but I still only get boost when at 2500 - 2700 rpm.
Any suggestions? It is that standard turbo on the 606 with a pressure actuated wastegate. I must admit I have not yet checked it but don't suspect anything wrong since it starts to boost and then can go up to 1.1 bar.

ReGards

barrote
Superturbo

01-29-2016, 04:59 AM #11
conect the pneumatic actuator to a source of vacum and give it a try.... then report back
probably something is impeding closing of the waste gate, try direct conection and then we´ll se about it ...
the simptom with described above , relates to a defective ALDA... no problema not having it working , leave it as is with the screw all out.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-29-2016, 04:59 AM #11

conect the pneumatic actuator to a source of vacum and give it a try.... then report back
probably something is impeding closing of the waste gate, try direct conection and then we´ll se about it ...
the simptom with described above , relates to a defective ALDA... no problema not having it working , leave it as is with the screw all out.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Jambo
GTA2056V

02-02-2016, 01:00 PM #12
OK over the weekend I connected the waste gate to a vacuum to suck it closed. I also connected a traditional mechanical boost pressure gauge to double check the electronic one.
So it seems the boost does start at about 2000rpm although very low. It then builds up and can go as high as 1 - 1.2 bar. Unfortunately for some reason the electronic boost pressure stopped working and is bouncing all over the place to the extent that I switched it off. It can't be an earthing problem as I made sure there was a proper earth and also measured it.
I have now in total turned out the ALDA screw by 1.25 turns and it seems good. Minimal smoke but also power when I pull off. Haven't managed to check timing but will get to that.

A more serious and intermittent problem is that the motor sometimes dies just before a stop when one is busy gearing down and coasting. I'm not sure what could cause that but it is as if it suddenly was switched off. I can the immediately restart it without any issues. Any ideas where to start looking?

ReGards

Alan
Jambo
02-02-2016, 01:00 PM #12

OK over the weekend I connected the waste gate to a vacuum to suck it closed. I also connected a traditional mechanical boost pressure gauge to double check the electronic one.
So it seems the boost does start at about 2000rpm although very low. It then builds up and can go as high as 1 - 1.2 bar. Unfortunately for some reason the electronic boost pressure stopped working and is bouncing all over the place to the extent that I switched it off. It can't be an earthing problem as I made sure there was a proper earth and also measured it.
I have now in total turned out the ALDA screw by 1.25 turns and it seems good. Minimal smoke but also power when I pull off. Haven't managed to check timing but will get to that.

A more serious and intermittent problem is that the motor sometimes dies just before a stop when one is busy gearing down and coasting. I'm not sure what could cause that but it is as if it suddenly was switched off. I can the immediately restart it without any issues. Any ideas where to start looking?

ReGards

Alan

barrote
Superturbo

02-02-2016, 01:59 PM #13
mr Alan ,
The engine should not die like that , unless a vac leak is doing that, but u´re using the stop key wich already existed in the car?
how´s the idle behaving , RPM and reaction ? does it fall from idle when turning the wheel against the stop? how does it fall when coasting dwn? does it falls abruptly and then regain ?
Reading up above it came to my mind that u may have issues with the WOT position.... if that is the think then u´r lack of power is explained...
use a brick in the thr pedal, watch if the pump is at WOT, usually the pump is in a phisical stop , wich is a hexagon bolt head.
if it is stoped there, there´s no problema with the WOT thing, but sure u can remove that bolt out and like this u will gain a bit of fueling .
that bit might solve things out
report back
Wink

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
02-02-2016, 01:59 PM #13

mr Alan ,
The engine should not die like that , unless a vac leak is doing that, but u´re using the stop key wich already existed in the car?
how´s the idle behaving , RPM and reaction ? does it fall from idle when turning the wheel against the stop? how does it fall when coasting dwn? does it falls abruptly and then regain ?
Reading up above it came to my mind that u may have issues with the WOT position.... if that is the think then u´r lack of power is explained...
use a brick in the thr pedal, watch if the pump is at WOT, usually the pump is in a phisical stop , wich is a hexagon bolt head.
if it is stoped there, there´s no problema with the WOT thing, but sure u can remove that bolt out and like this u will gain a bit of fueling .
that bit might solve things out
report back
Wink

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Jambo
GTA2056V

02-03-2016, 12:57 AM #14
Thank you for your reply and patience.

WOT seems to be OK but I will make 100 % sure.
It runs beautifully but I must admit that when one depressed the clutch and watches the rev counter one can see it drops to below 500 and then picks up again and idles at 500 rpm. Bear in mind that this pump was recalibrated by our most reputable Bosch dealer and the only changes I made are to the ALDA screw and I replaced the shut off valve because the previous one had a leak and would not shut down the engine.

I must add that I'm not sure how accurate my rev counter is since I have previously observed a rpm drop when switching on lights. That was with the previous engine and light switch, both of which are now replaced.  

I appreciate your help. Thanks.
Jambo
02-03-2016, 12:57 AM #14

Thank you for your reply and patience.

WOT seems to be OK but I will make 100 % sure.
It runs beautifully but I must admit that when one depressed the clutch and watches the rev counter one can see it drops to below 500 and then picks up again and idles at 500 rpm. Bear in mind that this pump was recalibrated by our most reputable Bosch dealer and the only changes I made are to the ALDA screw and I replaced the shut off valve because the previous one had a leak and would not shut down the engine.

I must add that I'm not sure how accurate my rev counter is since I have previously observed a rpm drop when switching on lights. That was with the previous engine and light switch, both of which are now replaced.  

I appreciate your help. Thanks.

barrote
Superturbo

02-03-2016, 09:02 AM #15
if i were u , take the pup out and toss them in the shop ,since the shop has that degree of reputation , they may know that the idle of that engine is at least 290RMP, and 290 gives 580 in the engine , this is the minimum RPM . good rpm´s are 600 to 660.
the problem is the idle quality and quantity and deceleration behaviour tells a lot about the way the governor was set....
but who a´m i to weaven such considerations , the late boost is related to all that , timing and some other needs , and in the end fuel but i belive u can live with that til u find enough rand to buy one buy one pump from europe. Wink
regards
try that think with the thr ... usually increases a bit the fueling in WOT.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
02-03-2016, 09:02 AM #15

if i were u , take the pup out and toss them in the shop ,since the shop has that degree of reputation , they may know that the idle of that engine is at least 290RMP, and 290 gives 580 in the engine , this is the minimum RPM . good rpm´s are 600 to 660.
the problem is the idle quality and quantity and deceleration behaviour tells a lot about the way the governor was set....
but who a´m i to weaven such considerations , the late boost is related to all that , timing and some other needs , and in the end fuel but i belive u can live with that til u find enough rand to buy one buy one pump from europe. Wink
regards
try that think with the thr ... usually increases a bit the fueling in WOT.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Jambo
GTA2056V

02-03-2016, 10:39 AM #16
The amount of sh1t I have had with this pump is unbelieveable. Unfortunately it was the only reputable shop I could find. I have since found another but that is about 150km from where I am. I will make a plan to get the pump there for checking.
I would love to get a Dieselmeken pump, but first our government has to shape up to get our R to strengthen again.

ReGards
Jambo
02-03-2016, 10:39 AM #16

The amount of sh1t I have had with this pump is unbelieveable. Unfortunately it was the only reputable shop I could find. I have since found another but that is about 150km from where I am. I will make a plan to get the pump there for checking.
I would love to get a Dieselmeken pump, but first our government has to shape up to get our R to strengthen again.

ReGards

barrote
Superturbo

02-03-2016, 03:02 PM #17
the right pump for that engine is a PES6M55C320RS204, all others 6 cyl they do the job but they are dificult to tune.....
specially if the shop does not install them, and the installer has very few notions of it, is like swiss clocksmith...
but sure u can try ....
try to have the idle increased to 600 RPM with the engine firing one cylinder after the other making the caracteristic rrrrr , instead of rrt rrt rrt . u can do that by turning the idle adjust screw out of the governor , turn it out to increase , in to decrease.
then u watch how it does react to using the steering wheel. RPM should maintain and be Kostant .... watch engine coasting dwn , thr it up to 5k and then watch how it does decrease... if it does not decrease u have to turn the idle damper screw out , wich is inside the governor...
report back and we folow from here .
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
02-03-2016, 03:02 PM #17

the right pump for that engine is a PES6M55C320RS204, all others 6 cyl they do the job but they are dificult to tune.....
specially if the shop does not install them, and the installer has very few notions of it, is like swiss clocksmith...
but sure u can try ....
try to have the idle increased to 600 RPM with the engine firing one cylinder after the other making the caracteristic rrrrr , instead of rrt rrt rrt . u can do that by turning the idle adjust screw out of the governor , turn it out to increase , in to decrease.
then u watch how it does react to using the steering wheel. RPM should maintain and be Kostant .... watch engine coasting dwn , thr it up to 5k and then watch how it does decrease... if it does not decrease u have to turn the idle damper screw out , wich is inside the governor...
report back and we folow from here .
regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Jambo
GTA2056V

02-08-2016, 01:45 PM #18
Ok, so after the last replies I decided to check everything again.
When I had the inlet manifold off I first checked the timing that the motor was now running at. This was the best I could do with the amount of pump adjustment available.
It took some time since I had to find where the timing mark was showing in the middle of the inspection hole. In the end I had it and read the degrees of the timing mark. Shock and horror it showed my motor is timed at 5deg ATDC.
I was absolutely sure I did set it to 16deg ATDC initially. But when I eventually got it running I tuned it by ear and watching the white smoke on the exhaust. I did this by advancing/retarding the pump until it ran smooth and there was minimal smoke. I drove it like that for 1000km and thought is was good but obviously was slightly disappointed with the performance especially in the low RPM range.
So after I established the motor runs at 5deg ATDC as indicated I suspected the chain has slipped a tooth and then checked the crank and cam timing. Both were spot on.

So now what could be the issue? Is it possible that the pump has been set up incorrectly?
I have spoken to the shop that rebuilt the pump an they are prepared to check it out, but I don't want to make a fool out of myself if it is not the pump.
I'm only a hobby mechanic and learning a lot but here I'm out of my depth to know what could be the problem. 

Regards,
Jambo
02-08-2016, 01:45 PM #18

Ok, so after the last replies I decided to check everything again.
When I had the inlet manifold off I first checked the timing that the motor was now running at. This was the best I could do with the amount of pump adjustment available.
It took some time since I had to find where the timing mark was showing in the middle of the inspection hole. In the end I had it and read the degrees of the timing mark. Shock and horror it showed my motor is timed at 5deg ATDC.
I was absolutely sure I did set it to 16deg ATDC initially. But when I eventually got it running I tuned it by ear and watching the white smoke on the exhaust. I did this by advancing/retarding the pump until it ran smooth and there was minimal smoke. I drove it like that for 1000km and thought is was good but obviously was slightly disappointed with the performance especially in the low RPM range.
So after I established the motor runs at 5deg ATDC as indicated I suspected the chain has slipped a tooth and then checked the crank and cam timing. Both were spot on.

So now what could be the issue? Is it possible that the pump has been set up incorrectly?
I have spoken to the shop that rebuilt the pump an they are prepared to check it out, but I don't want to make a fool out of myself if it is not the pump.
I'm only a hobby mechanic and learning a lot but here I'm out of my depth to know what could be the problem. 

Regards,

barrote
Superturbo

02-08-2016, 02:45 PM #19
the thing is that u need speciall tools to install the pump!!!! the advance mechanism gear holder and the pump locking tool, all the rest are comon tools , but this does not mean u can´t assemble the pump without them!!!!
the most common error is istalling the pump 180º apart , but like this it does not fire. the second most common error is rotating the engine backwars, wich will lead to whatever u found out.
the sprocket holder alow u to remove the pump without removing the tensioner , and maintain the the advance mechanism in place. the locking tool is to lock the pump in the right place, right timing.
if u dont have this tools , u got to find a way of securing the sprocket in place , fab a hard wood tool for it, or u can use a screw driver to lock it against the chain cover, block what ever ....
to lock the pump u can use a round metal strip , with a transversal cut that chims in the tongue, u can hold that bit in place with the 17 nut cover. after u assemble the pump u can remove it, beaware that what ever u use to secure that must slip out easily.

first of all u must check with the pump shop where did they set the start of injection , usually should be something like 18.5º , with the start of injection at 18.5 the engine is set at 14.5 ATDC, when looking at the puley u have OT at the left and the pointer in the 14.5º ATDC.

after this is done , u turn the engine 360º and check that the tongue is at the center of the visit window, and the puley reads between 12.5 and 14.5. once u have this u´re done.

regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
02-08-2016, 02:45 PM #19

the thing is that u need speciall tools to install the pump!!!! the advance mechanism gear holder and the pump locking tool, all the rest are comon tools , but this does not mean u can´t assemble the pump without them!!!!
the most common error is istalling the pump 180º apart , but like this it does not fire. the second most common error is rotating the engine backwars, wich will lead to whatever u found out.
the sprocket holder alow u to remove the pump without removing the tensioner , and maintain the the advance mechanism in place. the locking tool is to lock the pump in the right place, right timing.
if u dont have this tools , u got to find a way of securing the sprocket in place , fab a hard wood tool for it, or u can use a screw driver to lock it against the chain cover, block what ever ....
to lock the pump u can use a round metal strip , with a transversal cut that chims in the tongue, u can hold that bit in place with the 17 nut cover. after u assemble the pump u can remove it, beaware that what ever u use to secure that must slip out easily.

first of all u must check with the pump shop where did they set the start of injection , usually should be something like 18.5º , with the start of injection at 18.5 the engine is set at 14.5 ATDC, when looking at the puley u have OT at the left and the pointer in the 14.5º ATDC.

after this is done , u turn the engine 360º and check that the tongue is at the center of the visit window, and the puley reads between 12.5 and 14.5. once u have this u´re done.

regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Jambo
GTA2056V

02-08-2016, 11:38 PM #20
Hi Barrote,
I get what you are saying and already have a locking tool for the pump. The sprocket I keep in place with a piece of wood so happy there as well.
As it is I can set the timing to 15ATDC or whatever is required. I then turn the motor a couple of turns and recheck the timing and it is OK every time.  I turn the motor clockwise looking from the front which is also the direction the motor runs.
If I start the motor it runs but badly and if, after running it a couple of seconds stop it and recheck the timing it is still at the setting I set up.
I can get the motor to run smooth but it then indicates that the timing is at about 4-5 deg.

BUT, what you say about the pump shop setting start of injection is what interests me. Tis is something I cannot check? or change. I will now remove the pump and have it set at 18.5 deg.

Quote:
"with the start of injection at 18.5 the engine is set at 14.5 ATDC, when looking at the puley u have OT at the left and the pointer in the 14.5º ATDC."

Not sure I understand this correctly. What I understand from this is that if the pump was set correctly at 18.5 deg, and I set the timing at 14.5 ATDC then I would see the tab inside the pump (the one that is also used to lock the pump).  Not sure what you mean with u have OT at the left and the pointer at the 14.5º ATDC.   So I made a quick reference how I timed it.

This side is ATC  15           OT           BTC       ---------> direction when turning
                             |_/
40 | | | 30 | | | 20 | | | 10 | | | OT | | | 10 | | | 20 | | | 30 | | | 40 

Regards,
Jambo
02-08-2016, 11:38 PM #20

Hi Barrote,
I get what you are saying and already have a locking tool for the pump. The sprocket I keep in place with a piece of wood so happy there as well.
As it is I can set the timing to 15ATDC or whatever is required. I then turn the motor a couple of turns and recheck the timing and it is OK every time.  I turn the motor clockwise looking from the front which is also the direction the motor runs.
If I start the motor it runs but badly and if, after running it a couple of seconds stop it and recheck the timing it is still at the setting I set up.
I can get the motor to run smooth but it then indicates that the timing is at about 4-5 deg.

BUT, what you say about the pump shop setting start of injection is what interests me. Tis is something I cannot check? or change. I will now remove the pump and have it set at 18.5 deg.

Quote:
"with the start of injection at 18.5 the engine is set at 14.5 ATDC, when looking at the puley u have OT at the left and the pointer in the 14.5º ATDC."

Not sure I understand this correctly. What I understand from this is that if the pump was set correctly at 18.5 deg, and I set the timing at 14.5 ATDC then I would see the tab inside the pump (the one that is also used to lock the pump).  Not sure what you mean with u have OT at the left and the pointer at the 14.5º ATDC.   So I made a quick reference how I timed it.

This side is ATC  15           OT           BTC       ---------> direction when turning
                             |_/
40 | | | 30 | | | 20 | | | 10 | | | OT | | | 10 | | | 20 | | | 30 | | | 40 

Regards,

barrote
Superturbo

02-09-2016, 02:04 PM #21
hy there , preciselly what i meant, if the pump start of injection was set correctly u should have the engine timmed , more or less degree.
enough to run more or less smooth !!! happens that the 4 valve MB engine when is at the right spot idle RPM tends to increase about 20/30
compared to advanced or retarded.
another thing that happens a lot with 4 valve engines is bad shape injectors and damaged pre cups, wich is noticed by ratling and nailing noises , along with dificult smooth running.
have the injectors out , clean them check the spray patern, repop at 150bar, inspect the ball inside the pre chambers , if u find something strange like ball missing or when beated sounds like loose, have chambers checked, and reconditioned.
u know u might have just a bug in the IP , or just a bug in somewhere..... have a vídeo done , will help
regards

FD,