STD Tuning Engine OM606 Engine Tuning

OM606 Engine Tuning

OM606 Engine Tuning

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Einar
GT2256V

09-20-2009, 06:36 AM #1
hi, I have a W124 E 300D 136 hp.
I`m thinking about selling the engine, or Strip it down and build it for tuning...

I`m thinking about increasing the Sylinder Bore, How much can i increase it without trouble.
Is it possible to get forged pistons, how about con-rods, standard turbo, or special and longer rods(less wear).

Is there big differences on the sylinder head, or should a standard N/A-head with Turbo-exhaust-valves be good enough, is there room for bigger valves, possible to get such items.
Better sylinder head flow, porting?

Intake manifold, would the standard manifold with plugged holes for crankcase ventilation holes, and welded for front mounted IC be good enough, or maybe a M104-manifold would fit.

Exhaust manifold/headers; Is it possible that the m104/om606 have the same ports on the head, I`m thinking about welding a skyline manifold to the parts that fits a OM606 head, and we got those parts available for M104.

Oil sprayed pistons, is it possible to build on tha N/A engine, is the oilpump correct or shuld it be changed.

Turbo??? I`m thinking about approximately 1,5 kg pressure, good driveability.

What about dieselpump, should I use the standard pump, or get a pump from 603A, what mods should I have?

I want a engine whith good drivability and durability, good mpg and a good push.
Not the fastest engine, but a strong unit, with lots of torque and power without decreasing the driveability and durabiltiy.
Thinking about mounting it in a W124 TDT.

What do You think, is it possible, is it worth it, should I sell the engine to get a 606Aa-engine for W210 instead?
Einar
09-20-2009, 06:36 AM #1

hi, I have a W124 E 300D 136 hp.
I`m thinking about selling the engine, or Strip it down and build it for tuning...

I`m thinking about increasing the Sylinder Bore, How much can i increase it without trouble.
Is it possible to get forged pistons, how about con-rods, standard turbo, or special and longer rods(less wear).

Is there big differences on the sylinder head, or should a standard N/A-head with Turbo-exhaust-valves be good enough, is there room for bigger valves, possible to get such items.

Intake manifold, would the standard manifold with plugged holes for crankcase ventilation holes, and welded for front mounted IC be good enough, or maybe a M104-manifold would fit.

Exhaust manifold/headers; Is it possible that the m104/om606 have the same ports on the head, I`m thinking about welding a skyline manifold to the parts that fits a OM606 head, and we got those parts available for M104.

Oil sprayed pistons, is it possible to build on tha N/A engine, is the oilpump correct or shuld it be changed.

Turbo??? I`m thinking about approximately 1,5 kg pressure, good driveability.

What about dieselpump, should I use the standard pump, or get a pump from 603A, what mods should I have?

I want a engine whith good drivability and durability, good mpg and a good push.
Not the fastest engine, but a strong unit, with lots of torque and power without decreasing the driveability and durabiltiy.
Thinking about mounting it in a W124 TDT.

What do You think, is it possible, is it worth it, should I sell the engine to get a 606Aa-engine for W210 instead?

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

09-22-2009, 12:23 PM #2
(09-20-2009, 06:36 AM)Einar Is it possible to get forged pistons, how about con-rods, standard turbo, or special and longer rods(less wear).
Any custom piston manufacturer should be able to make anything you send them an example of. They may even have a similar design "on the shelf" that they could modify to make it cheaper. At any rate a full custom piston from somewhere like Arias will run about $150 each, including wrist pins. The con-rods would be the same procedure, find a comapny that makes rods and send them a sample of what you need. To have oil passages EDM'ed into the rod (oil flows thru rod to wrist pin, likely what is on there stock) is extra, but a place like Cunningham or Crower can make rods for ~200 each and they will make them exactly how you want them.

Einar Is there big differences on the sylinder head, or should a standard N/A-head with Turbo-exhaust-valves be good enough, is there room for bigger valves, possible to get such items.
As far as I know, these cylinder heads are quite good, but porting is always a way to make your engine (air pump) more efficient and you would make the engine capable of more power, although you may not see any real increase w/o more modification.
I'm sure you could find some larger valves for another application that would either fit or could be modified to fit, I'm not sure about room to port the head, but I would assume that there would be plenty knowing how robust these engines are.

Einar Intake manifold, would the standard manifold with plugged holes for crankcase ventilation holes, and welded for front mounted IC be good enough, or maybe a M104-manifold would fit.

there are people who have modified various intakes and exhausts, I think oelbrenner may be able to answer more questions about this.

Einar Oil sprayed pistons, is it possible to build on tha N/A engine, is the oilpump correct or shuld it be changed.
anything is possible, but the oilsquirters are most likely integral to the block on the turbo engines (all the other manufacturers that utilize them that I have seen are machined into the casting or are integral to the casting and cleaned up by machining near the main journal bearings, but Ihave never torn down a OM before so I am unsure of exactly how they do it...someone else may be able to answer that definitely for you)

Einar I want a engine whith good drivability and durability, good mpg and a good push.
Doesn't everyone?

Einar What do You think, is it possible, is it worth it, should I sell the engine to get a 606Aa-engine for W210 instead?
From what I understand, you would want the bottom end and fuel pump (if you want to retain full mechanical control) from a turbo 603, but with the heads of a 606 for better prechamber design and less prone to heat stress cracking.

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
09-22-2009, 12:23 PM #2

(09-20-2009, 06:36 AM)Einar Is it possible to get forged pistons, how about con-rods, standard turbo, or special and longer rods(less wear).
Any custom piston manufacturer should be able to make anything you send them an example of. They may even have a similar design "on the shelf" that they could modify to make it cheaper. At any rate a full custom piston from somewhere like Arias will run about $150 each, including wrist pins. The con-rods would be the same procedure, find a comapny that makes rods and send them a sample of what you need. To have oil passages EDM'ed into the rod (oil flows thru rod to wrist pin, likely what is on there stock) is extra, but a place like Cunningham or Crower can make rods for ~200 each and they will make them exactly how you want them.

Einar Is there big differences on the sylinder head, or should a standard N/A-head with Turbo-exhaust-valves be good enough, is there room for bigger valves, possible to get such items.
As far as I know, these cylinder heads are quite good, but porting is always a way to make your engine (air pump) more efficient and you would make the engine capable of more power, although you may not see any real increase w/o more modification.
I'm sure you could find some larger valves for another application that would either fit or could be modified to fit, I'm not sure about room to port the head, but I would assume that there would be plenty knowing how robust these engines are.

Einar Intake manifold, would the standard manifold with plugged holes for crankcase ventilation holes, and welded for front mounted IC be good enough, or maybe a M104-manifold would fit.

there are people who have modified various intakes and exhausts, I think oelbrenner may be able to answer more questions about this.

Einar Oil sprayed pistons, is it possible to build on tha N/A engine, is the oilpump correct or shuld it be changed.
anything is possible, but the oilsquirters are most likely integral to the block on the turbo engines (all the other manufacturers that utilize them that I have seen are machined into the casting or are integral to the casting and cleaned up by machining near the main journal bearings, but Ihave never torn down a OM before so I am unsure of exactly how they do it...someone else may be able to answer that definitely for you)

Einar I want a engine whith good drivability and durability, good mpg and a good push.
Doesn't everyone?

Einar What do You think, is it possible, is it worth it, should I sell the engine to get a 606Aa-engine for W210 instead?
From what I understand, you would want the bottom end and fuel pump (if you want to retain full mechanical control) from a turbo 603, but with the heads of a 606 for better prechamber design and less prone to heat stress cracking.

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62

Einar
GT2256V

09-22-2009, 05:20 PM #3
The problem with using the bottom end from 603A is the valve pockets and prechamber pockets in the pistons.
Einar
09-22-2009, 05:20 PM #3

The problem with using the bottom end from 603A is the valve pockets and prechamber pockets in the pistons.

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

09-23-2009, 10:56 PM #4
(09-22-2009, 05:20 PM)Einar The problem with using the bottom end from 603A is the valve pockets and prechamber pockets in the pistons.

custom pistons would solve that, no?

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
09-23-2009, 10:56 PM #4

(09-22-2009, 05:20 PM)Einar The problem with using the bottom end from 603A is the valve pockets and prechamber pockets in the pistons.

custom pistons would solve that, no?

OBK# 62

ForcedInduction
Banned

09-24-2009, 12:03 AM #5
606 pistons probably would.
ForcedInduction
09-24-2009, 12:03 AM #5

606 pistons probably would.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average