STD Tuning Engine Bendtsens Adapters Beware

Bendtsens Adapters Beware

Bendtsens Adapters Beware

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

zeeman
Holset

03-25-2016, 12:37 AM #1
Just a heads up to any that have bought one of Bendtsens 606 adapters or is thinking about buying one.

Beware they do not work correctly. The clocking of the engine to transmission is not correct. The normal slant of the Om 606 is about 15 degrees, his adapter is less then 8 degrees. you cannot get the oil pan or valve cover level as it should be with the transmission pan level.

I found out the hard way on a customers car I am doing right now. I called Bob at Bendtsens and he admitted there was a problem but wasn't concerned enough to fix the problem. I was told the adapter was taken from a commercial engine that sat straight up not on a slant that had the same bolt pattern as the 603 -606 engine. He was unable to give me the model of the engine.

Now I am stuck with a $900.00 adapter that is useless. He did offer to refund my money but what good does that do now that I have the customers car apart.
zeeman
03-25-2016, 12:37 AM #1

Just a heads up to any that have bought one of Bendtsens 606 adapters or is thinking about buying one.

Beware they do not work correctly. The clocking of the engine to transmission is not correct. The normal slant of the Om 606 is about 15 degrees, his adapter is less then 8 degrees. you cannot get the oil pan or valve cover level as it should be with the transmission pan level.

I found out the hard way on a customers car I am doing right now. I called Bob at Bendtsens and he admitted there was a problem but wasn't concerned enough to fix the problem. I was told the adapter was taken from a commercial engine that sat straight up not on a slant that had the same bolt pattern as the 603 -606 engine. He was unable to give me the model of the engine.

Now I am stuck with a $900.00 adapter that is useless. He did offer to refund my money but what good does that do now that I have the customers car apart.

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

03-25-2016, 06:44 AM #2
(03-25-2016, 12:37 AM)zeeman Just a heads up to any that have bought one of Bendtsens 606 adapters or is thinking about buying one.

Oh crap,
I just got mine in the mail from Bendtsens for my F150 E4OD to OM606 swap. Before I send a link to this thread to him and ask him if this problem applies to my adapter, my question to you is will the 7 degrees misclock really hurt anything? There should be enough excess sump level to easily overcome that. Any other issue I'm not seeing? Aesthetics is your main concern? Maybe consider a bit of reclocking the tranny to compromise? If this problem trashes your swap and an OM648 pan becomes available, let me know in a PM.
This post was last modified: 03-25-2016, 07:09 AM by 50harleyrider.
50harleyrider
03-25-2016, 06:44 AM #2

(03-25-2016, 12:37 AM)zeeman Just a heads up to any that have bought one of Bendtsens 606 adapters or is thinking about buying one.

Oh crap,
I just got mine in the mail from Bendtsens for my F150 E4OD to OM606 swap. Before I send a link to this thread to him and ask him if this problem applies to my adapter, my question to you is will the 7 degrees misclock really hurt anything? There should be enough excess sump level to easily overcome that. Any other issue I'm not seeing? Aesthetics is your main concern? Maybe consider a bit of reclocking the tranny to compromise? If this problem trashes your swap and an OM648 pan becomes available, let me know in a PM.

TurboTim
Holset

03-25-2016, 07:08 AM #3
Why not just run a 722.6 anyways?

87 300SDL OM606 swapped HE351VE 722.633 swapped, Crower cams, KM valvesprings
76 300TD custom lots of stuff
06 Mercedes CL65 AMG 619 WHP, http://TurboTims.com
TurboTim
03-25-2016, 07:08 AM #3

Why not just run a 722.6 anyways?

87 300SDL OM606 swapped HE351VE 722.633 swapped, Crower cams, KM valvesprings
76 300TD custom lots of stuff
06 Mercedes CL65 AMG 619 WHP, http://TurboTims.com

zeeman
Holset

03-25-2016, 11:43 AM #4
(03-25-2016, 07:08 AM)TurboTim Why not just run a 722.6 anyways?

We are adapting to a 4x4 transfercase, there are adapters available for the GM 700R4. It is also a heavier duty transmission.
zeeman
03-25-2016, 11:43 AM #4

(03-25-2016, 07:08 AM)TurboTim Why not just run a 722.6 anyways?

We are adapting to a 4x4 transfercase, there are adapters available for the GM 700R4. It is also a heavier duty transmission.

zeeman
Holset

03-25-2016, 11:52 AM #5
(03-25-2016, 06:44 AM)50harleyrider

Oh crap,

The OM 606 is designed to run at about a 15 degree angle. Partially for hood clearance, but the oil return galleys need to be level as well as the injection pump which is lubricated with oil. Also there is oil paths cast into the bottom of the oil pan to direct the oil to the sump. Another thing if your running on a angle offroading this could starve the oil pickup.

There is a reason Mercedes designed it this way.  I would assume that the same problem will happen with all the transmissions if it was designed to run the engine straight up.
zeeman
03-25-2016, 11:52 AM #5

Oh crap,

The OM 606 is designed to run at about a 15 degree angle. Partially for hood clearance, but the oil return galleys need to be level as well as the injection pump which is lubricated with oil. Also there is oil paths cast into the bottom of the oil pan to direct the oil to the sump. Another thing if your running on a angle offroading this could starve the oil pickup.

There is a reason Mercedes designed it this way.  I would assume that the same problem will happen with all the transmissions if it was designed to run the engine straight up.

EmJay
Holset

03-25-2016, 08:41 PM #6
Could you not shim one of the motor mounts to compensate for the angle?

1987 Mazda B2200 "outlaw" **planning phase**  Chevy 283, Power Pack heads, Edelbrock carb and intake, turbo 350 trans Smile
1985 Mercedes 300D stock for now
EmJay
03-25-2016, 08:41 PM #6

Could you not shim one of the motor mounts to compensate for the angle?

1987 Mazda B2200 "outlaw" **planning phase**  Chevy 283, Power Pack heads, Edelbrock carb and intake, turbo 350 trans Smile
1985 Mercedes 300D stock for now

zeeman
Holset

03-25-2016, 11:31 PM #7
(03-25-2016, 08:41 PM)EmJay Could you not shim one of the motor mounts to compensate for the angle?

The problem being when the engine is level the transmission is not. The clocking of the bolt pattern of the engine is off from the bolt pattern of the transmission to achieve the 15 degree engine slant.
zeeman
03-25-2016, 11:31 PM #7

(03-25-2016, 08:41 PM)EmJay Could you not shim one of the motor mounts to compensate for the angle?

The problem being when the engine is level the transmission is not. The clocking of the bolt pattern of the engine is off from the bolt pattern of the transmission to achieve the 15 degree engine slant.

hooblah
Holset

03-26-2016, 07:18 AM #8
Modify the sump on either one.
hooblah
03-26-2016, 07:18 AM #8

Modify the sump on either one.

JVance
GTA2056V

03-26-2016, 08:57 AM #9
(03-25-2016, 11:31 PM)zeeman

Shimming one of the engine mounts could split the difference. You need to make up for 7-8 degrees, so shim one side 4 degrees...being 4 degrees off is not going to affect fluid pickup or return in either the engine or transmission.
This post was last modified: 03-26-2016, 09:06 AM by JVance.
JVance
03-26-2016, 08:57 AM #9

Shimming one of the engine mounts could split the difference. You need to make up for 7-8 degrees, so shim one side 4 degrees...being 4 degrees off is not going to affect fluid pickup or return in either the engine or transmission.

zeeman
Holset

03-26-2016, 11:20 AM #10
(03-26-2016, 08:57 AM)JVance

I guess I am not being clear on this. When the engine is set were it should be, level valve cover and level oil pan which is 15 degrees from straight up and down. The bolt pattern for the transmission is 8-9 degrees off from the transmission pan being level. The bottom line here is that the adapter Bendtsen made is wrong and he feels he doesn't need to do anything about it after charging $925.00 for it. It being off 8-9 degrees may not seem like much but it throws it way off.
This post was last modified: 03-26-2016, 03:08 PM by zeeman.
zeeman
03-26-2016, 11:20 AM #10

I guess I am not being clear on this. When the engine is set were it should be, level valve cover and level oil pan which is 15 degrees from straight up and down. The bolt pattern for the transmission is 8-9 degrees off from the transmission pan being level. The bottom line here is that the adapter Bendtsen made is wrong and he feels he doesn't need to do anything about it after charging $925.00 for it. It being off 8-9 degrees may not seem like much but it throws it way off.

MFSuper90
Budget Builder

03-26-2016, 11:29 AM #11
I know what you mean zeeman. If you pay a grand for an adapter you would expect it to be correct. It's poor business to not try to correct the problem.

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         
MFSuper90
03-26-2016, 11:29 AM #11

I know what you mean zeeman. If you pay a grand for an adapter you would expect it to be correct. It's poor business to not try to correct the problem.

'82 300D -3" straight pipe, ALDA deleted, 3in1 glowshift gauge, HX30, egr-less manifold, A/W intercooler Big Grin
'14 Ram 6.7l cummins -G56 handshaker, wishing it was deleted         

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

03-26-2016, 12:00 PM #12
I sent Bob Bendtsen an email and a link to this thread and asked him if my custom OM606-E4OD adapter is  mis-clocked and if so. what he would do about it. I paid several hundred dollars extra over the standard kit. I also suggested he post up here to address this situation. He's a sharp guy and I'm confident he will straighten this out. This engine needs to sit at the clock it was designed for.
This post was last modified: 03-26-2016, 12:06 PM by 50harleyrider.
50harleyrider
03-26-2016, 12:00 PM #12

I sent Bob Bendtsen an email and a link to this thread and asked him if my custom OM606-E4OD adapter is  mis-clocked and if so. what he would do about it. I paid several hundred dollars extra over the standard kit. I also suggested he post up here to address this situation. He's a sharp guy and I'm confident he will straighten this out. This engine needs to sit at the clock it was designed for.

JVance
GTA2056V

03-26-2016, 12:24 PM #13
(03-26-2016, 11:20 AM)zeeman
(03-25-2016, 11:31 PM)zeeman The problem being when the engine is level the transmission is not. The clocking of the bolt pattern of the engine is off from the bolt pattern of the transmission to achieve the 15 degree engine slant.

I guess I am being clear on this. When the engine is set were it should be, level valve cover and level oil pan which is 15 degrees from straight up and down. The bolt pattern for the transmission is 8-9 degrees off from the transmission pan being level. The bottom line here is that the adapter Bendtsen made is wrong and he feels he doesn't need to do anything about it after charging $925.00 for it. It being off 8-9 degrees may not seem like much but it throws it way off.

No, you're being obtuse. The engine needs to be clocked 15 degrees for the valve-covers and oil pan to be "level". The adapter put the engine at 8 degrees. This means either the transmission is level and the engine is 7-8 degrees away from where it should be, or it means the engine is "level" (at 15 degrees), and the transmission is 7-8 degrees away from where it should be.

Two people have now recommended you shim the engine mount to make up for the difference. If you shim the mount and rotate the engine 4 degrees, the installed angle will put the engine at ~12 degrees (~3-4 degrees from where it should be), and the transmission will be at 4 degrees.

Now, consider cars drive on crowned roads throughout the world. Mercedes saw fit to install the engine at the same angle whether it was a right-hand or left-hand drive car, so orienting the engine a few degrees from "level" has minimal impact on oil pick-up or draining, either accounting for the angle in the crown of the road, the centripetal force during turning, etc. Furthermore, adjusting the timing of the injector pump involves rotating the injector pump; if the angle of the pump was absolutely critical for oiling and draining, Mercedes would've used an adjustable gear, not adjusting the pump angle.

I get that you're pissed that the engine mount is not clocked properly. I also understand your frustration that you're now dealing with a dismantled car while trying to resolve the engine mount. But the solutions are trivial: either compensate for the engine mount by splitting the difference in half, which will rotate the engine and transmission 4 degrees from "level"; or, order a 1/2" plate of aluminum and have the bolt patterns for the engine and transmission drilled into it. A machine shop can knock this out in a day, or you can do it yourself if you have a mill/DRO, or are very careful with marking out coordinates and using a drill press. I can provide you the bolt patterns for both the engine and whatever transmission you're using to make this happen.

I can't do anything about Bendtsens' lack of a solution. But if you want to solve the problem and finish this project for the customer, you have options to do so.
This post was last modified: 03-26-2016, 12:30 PM by JVance.
JVance
03-26-2016, 12:24 PM #13

(03-25-2016, 11:31 PM)zeeman The problem being when the engine is level the transmission is not. The clocking of the bolt pattern of the engine is off from the bolt pattern of the transmission to achieve the 15 degree engine slant.

I guess I am being clear on this. When the engine is set were it should be, level valve cover and level oil pan which is 15 degrees from straight up and down. The bolt pattern for the transmission is 8-9 degrees off from the transmission pan being level. The bottom line here is that the adapter Bendtsen made is wrong and he feels he doesn't need to do anything about it after charging $925.00 for it. It being off 8-9 degrees may not seem like much but it throws it way off.

No, you're being obtuse. The engine needs to be clocked 15 degrees for the valve-covers and oil pan to be "level". The adapter put the engine at 8 degrees. This means either the transmission is level and the engine is 7-8 degrees away from where it should be, or it means the engine is "level" (at 15 degrees), and the transmission is 7-8 degrees away from where it should be.

Two people have now recommended you shim the engine mount to make up for the difference. If you shim the mount and rotate the engine 4 degrees, the installed angle will put the engine at ~12 degrees (~3-4 degrees from where it should be), and the transmission will be at 4 degrees.

Now, consider cars drive on crowned roads throughout the world. Mercedes saw fit to install the engine at the same angle whether it was a right-hand or left-hand drive car, so orienting the engine a few degrees from "level" has minimal impact on oil pick-up or draining, either accounting for the angle in the crown of the road, the centripetal force during turning, etc. Furthermore, adjusting the timing of the injector pump involves rotating the injector pump; if the angle of the pump was absolutely critical for oiling and draining, Mercedes would've used an adjustable gear, not adjusting the pump angle.

I get that you're pissed that the engine mount is not clocked properly. I also understand your frustration that you're now dealing with a dismantled car while trying to resolve the engine mount. But the solutions are trivial: either compensate for the engine mount by splitting the difference in half, which will rotate the engine and transmission 4 degrees from "level"; or, order a 1/2" plate of aluminum and have the bolt patterns for the engine and transmission drilled into it. A machine shop can knock this out in a day, or you can do it yourself if you have a mill/DRO, or are very careful with marking out coordinates and using a drill press. I can provide you the bolt patterns for both the engine and whatever transmission you're using to make this happen.

I can't do anything about Bendtsens' lack of a solution. But if you want to solve the problem and finish this project for the customer, you have options to do so.

zeeman
Holset

03-26-2016, 02:38 PM #14
(03-26-2016, 12:24 PM)JVance

First of all the adapter is 1" thick and was made in a CNC machine with a computer program. It is not something that can be made in a drill press.

Yes there have been some suggestions made on how to correct the problem but the only correct way is to make a new adapter plate with the correct clocking of the engine.

I do not half ass things in my shop, that is just the way I do business., unlike Bendtsens. Installing the engine any were from level is unacceptable. Enclosed are some pictures of a Jeep JK I just finished with a OM 606. As you can see if it was installed anywere but level it would look terrible.
This post was last modified: 03-26-2016, 03:05 PM by zeeman.
Attached Files
Image(s)

zeeman
03-26-2016, 02:38 PM #14

(03-26-2016, 12:24 PM)JVance

First of all the adapter is 1" thick and was made in a CNC machine with a computer program. It is not something that can be made in a drill press.

Yes there have been some suggestions made on how to correct the problem but the only correct way is to make a new adapter plate with the correct clocking of the engine.

I do not half ass things in my shop, that is just the way I do business., unlike Bendtsens. Installing the engine any were from level is unacceptable. Enclosed are some pictures of a Jeep JK I just finished with a OM 606. As you can see if it was installed anywere but level it would look terrible.

Attached Files
Image(s)

zeeman
Holset

03-26-2016, 02:42 PM #15
(03-26-2016, 12:00 PM)50harleyrider I sent Bob Bendtsen an email and a link to this thread and asked him if my custom OM606-E4OD adapter is  mis-clocked and if so. what he would do about it. I paid several hundred dollars extra over the standard kit. I also suggested he post up here to address this situation. He's a sharp guy and I'm confident he will straighten this out. This engine needs to sit at the clock it was designed for.

Great, someone finally gets it!!!
zeeman
03-26-2016, 02:42 PM #15

(03-26-2016, 12:00 PM)50harleyrider I sent Bob Bendtsen an email and a link to this thread and asked him if my custom OM606-E4OD adapter is  mis-clocked and if so. what he would do about it. I paid several hundred dollars extra over the standard kit. I also suggested he post up here to address this situation. He's a sharp guy and I'm confident he will straighten this out. This engine needs to sit at the clock it was designed for.

Great, someone finally gets it!!!

JVance
GTA2056V

03-26-2016, 04:50 PM #16
(03-26-2016, 02:38 PM)zeeman First of all the adapter is 1" thick and was made in a CNC machine with a computer program. It is not something that can be made in a drill press.

Fair enough, get a 1" plate of aluminum, contact your local machine shop.

The only locations on your adapter plate with critical tolerances are the 2 dowel pins for the Mercedes engine, and the 2 dowel pins for the transmission. Those could be drilled with a Bridgeport with as good or better tolerances than a CNC machine. The rest of the bolt holes simply require enough clearance for a bolt to pass through the plate and the engine or transmission and still torque down with the shoulder square to the plate or boss. The inner diameter of the adapter is not critical, but the machinist would need a decent boring head to make that cut, which I'd entrust to a jig borer over a knee mill; or it could be cut on a lathe. In any case, the Mercedes and GM bolt patterns are available and can be provided to any competent machinist to produce an adapter plate with the correct orientation. A CNC machine is not required.

However, the fact you're receiving any push-back from Bendstens is odd since it would take maybe 5 minutes to edit the source file...that's if they do the designs in-house.

There are ways for you to move forward and complete this job if Bendstens hangs you out to dry.
JVance
03-26-2016, 04:50 PM #16

(03-26-2016, 02:38 PM)zeeman First of all the adapter is 1" thick and was made in a CNC machine with a computer program. It is not something that can be made in a drill press.

The only locations on your adapter plate with critical tolerances are the 2 dowel pins for the Mercedes engine, and the 2 dowel pins for the transmission. Those could be drilled with a Bridgeport with as good or better tolerances than a CNC machine. The rest of the bolt holes simply require enough clearance for a bolt to pass through the plate and the engine or transmission and still torque down with the shoulder square to the plate or boss. The inner diameter of the adapter is not critical, but the machinist would need a decent boring head to make that cut, which I'd entrust to a jig borer over a knee mill; or it could be cut on a lathe. In any case, the Mercedes and GM bolt patterns are available and can be provided to any competent machinist to produce an adapter plate with the correct orientation. A CNC machine is not required.

However, the fact you're receiving any push-back from Bendstens is odd since it would take maybe 5 minutes to edit the source file...that's if they do the designs in-house.

There are ways for you to move forward and complete this job if Bendstens hangs you out to dry.

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

03-26-2016, 05:32 PM #17
It's a little sickening to think one has to spend hundreds more on the correct plate after spending $1000+. Let's see what Bob says about this situation. More and more OM606 conversions should happen now that lots of the W210s are rusting out and just plain getting old and I would think it would behoove someone of Bendtsens' stature in the adpapter plate business to correct this wrong.
50harleyrider
03-26-2016, 05:32 PM #17

It's a little sickening to think one has to spend hundreds more on the correct plate after spending $1000+. Let's see what Bob says about this situation. More and more OM606 conversions should happen now that lots of the W210s are rusting out and just plain getting old and I would think it would behoove someone of Bendtsens' stature in the adpapter plate business to correct this wrong.

zeeman
Holset

03-26-2016, 06:55 PM #18
(03-26-2016, 04:50 PM)JVance

As you explained the machine process, that is the direction I will have to go if Bendtsens doesn't step up to the plate. He has indicated he has no intention of doing that at this time, we will see what 50Harleyrider hears from him.

I also agree that this should be a no brainer with the equipment he has, he does do excellent machine work. He just needs to have better customer service when there is a problem.
zeeman
03-26-2016, 06:55 PM #18

(03-26-2016, 04:50 PM)JVance

As you explained the machine process, that is the direction I will have to go if Bendtsens doesn't step up to the plate. He has indicated he has no intention of doing that at this time, we will see what 50Harleyrider hears from him.

I also agree that this should be a no brainer with the equipment he has, he does do excellent machine work. He just needs to have better customer service when there is a problem.

zeeman
Holset

03-26-2016, 06:59 PM #19
(03-26-2016, 05:32 PM)50harleyrider It's a little sickening to think one has to spend hundreds more on the correct plate after spending $1000+. Let's see what Bob says about this situation. More and more OM606 conversions should happen now that lots of the W210s are rusting out and just plain getting old and I would think it would behoove someone of Bendtsens' stature in the adpapter plate business to correct this wrong.

I agree with you, there are a lot of people stepping up from the OM 617 engine to the OM 606. They want more HP and a smoother engine. Bob filled a void for an adapter to do this conversion. He is sort of shooting herself in the foot. We will see what he does.
zeeman
03-26-2016, 06:59 PM #19

(03-26-2016, 05:32 PM)50harleyrider It's a little sickening to think one has to spend hundreds more on the correct plate after spending $1000+. Let's see what Bob says about this situation. More and more OM606 conversions should happen now that lots of the W210s are rusting out and just plain getting old and I would think it would behoove someone of Bendtsens' stature in the adpapter plate business to correct this wrong.

I agree with you, there are a lot of people stepping up from the OM 617 engine to the OM 606. They want more HP and a smoother engine. Bob filled a void for an adapter to do this conversion. He is sort of shooting herself in the foot. We will see what he does.

F.R.A.S
Holset

03-31-2016, 08:23 AM #20
Hi guys. Nice looking installation there.

I my self work with this all day and we also encounter problems from time to time. But guys, customer service is something you need to have in this business. And if something is clearly wrong we have to fix it. Seriously... You pay in excess of $900 for a 1" adapter plate? I can start making these right away if there is a customer base for it. And yea with the correct angle Smile

Don't believe my ears here when hearing about someone actually selling stuff he knows is faulty Sad

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.
F.R.A.S
03-31-2016, 08:23 AM #20

Hi guys. Nice looking installation there.

I my self work with this all day and we also encounter problems from time to time. But guys, customer service is something you need to have in this business. And if something is clearly wrong we have to fix it. Seriously... You pay in excess of $900 for a 1" adapter plate? I can start making these right away if there is a customer base for it. And yea with the correct angle Smile

Don't believe my ears here when hearing about someone actually selling stuff he knows is faulty Sad

F-tune Performance [Image: V-band_om606.jpg] [Image: GTX3582R.jpg] [Image: gs6-53dz_gearbox.jpg]

I can help you out with all your manual transmission, clutch, flywheel, intake and exhaust manifold issues.

zeeman
Holset

03-31-2016, 06:50 PM #21
(03-31-2016, 08:23 AM)F.R.A.S Hi guys. Nice looking installation there.

I agree with you on the customer service, I have bit the bullet a few times fixing things that weren't my fault. It is obvious by the quality you do you are a first class business.

Bob has agreed to address the problem, but should have stepped up to the plate right away. He does do some nice machine work, it is a shame we had to go to this much effort to remedy the problem. It is also a  shame we are across the pond from you to have things made for us in the states.

The OM 606 engine is gaining popularity in the states and adapters are far and few between at this time.

Thanks Ron
www.northwestdieseloffroad.com
zeeman
03-31-2016, 06:50 PM #21

(03-31-2016, 08:23 AM)F.R.A.S Hi guys. Nice looking installation there.

I agree with you on the customer service, I have bit the bullet a few times fixing things that weren't my fault. It is obvious by the quality you do you are a first class business.

Bob has agreed to address the problem, but should have stepped up to the plate right away. He does do some nice machine work, it is a shame we had to go to this much effort to remedy the problem. It is also a  shame we are across the pond from you to have things made for us in the states.

The OM 606 engine is gaining popularity in the states and adapters are far and few between at this time.

Thanks Ron
www.northwestdieseloffroad.com

[486]
TA 0301

03-31-2016, 09:43 PM #22
I'll join in with the "what's the big deal" crowd.
I made my TDI-pinto adapter so the motor was straight up, because the bolts lined up best that way. Flop the crap around to fit it best with a minimum of fuss, 10 degrees isn't going to make a lick of difference on the oil pickup.

In such a swap where the motor never came there from the factory... Flip everything whichever way makes it fit best. On my 7.3 ranger I put the motor 2" over to the passenger side, and the 14b diff's pinion 6" over for clearance's sake.

Never met the guy, though he lives 10 miles away. I doubt they made claims other than that it'll interface the two components in a functional manner.
This post was last modified: 03-31-2016, 09:43 PM by [486].
[486]
03-31-2016, 09:43 PM #22

I'll join in with the "what's the big deal" crowd.
I made my TDI-pinto adapter so the motor was straight up, because the bolts lined up best that way. Flop the crap around to fit it best with a minimum of fuss, 10 degrees isn't going to make a lick of difference on the oil pickup.

In such a swap where the motor never came there from the factory... Flip everything whichever way makes it fit best. On my 7.3 ranger I put the motor 2" over to the passenger side, and the 14b diff's pinion 6" over for clearance's sake.

Never met the guy, though he lives 10 miles away. I doubt they made claims other than that it'll interface the two components in a functional manner.

F.R.A.S
Holset

04-01-2016, 12:42 AM #23
I'm sorry but have I missed something??? If you PAY for something you expect to get just that... Going to the store and buying a can of Pepsi and it's half empty. Would that be OK?

LIKE "Yea, one day half a can was enough for me so what's the big deal"

You PAY for a product and that product has to be in good working condition... I can totally understand that if this specific adapter was for a specific chassis and the guy clearly stated that in THIS angle everything will fit better. Yea then it's OK. And then you KNOW what you are buying. But that's not the case here...

Next time you are un-wrapping your new 47" TV and find a 37" in the box remember that there are guys out there that are just fine with the 37" model.

Just my 5-cents.

(03-31-2016, 09:43 PM)[486] I'll join in with the "what's the big deal" crowd.

F.R.A.S
04-01-2016, 12:42 AM #23

I'm sorry but have I missed something??? If you PAY for something you expect to get just that... Going to the store and buying a can of Pepsi and it's half empty. Would that be OK?

You PAY for a product and that product has to be in good working condition... I can totally understand that if this specific adapter was for a specific chassis and the guy clearly stated that in THIS angle everything will fit better. Yea then it's OK. And then you KNOW what you are buying. But that's not the case here...

Next time you are un-wrapping your new 47" TV and find a 37" in the box remember that there are guys out there that are just fine with the 37" model.

Just my 5-cents.

zeeman
Holset

04-01-2016, 01:37 AM #24

I am not going to beat a dead horse here, but right is right and wrong is wrong. Bendtsens web site states that it fits the 606, 603 and others as well as the Sprinter engine. It doesn't state that it is made to install the engine in any other angle then what the engines was originally designed for. The engines set at a 15 degree angle, end of story. Not sure what a functional manner, would be considered.
zeeman
04-01-2016, 01:37 AM #24

I am not going to beat a dead horse here, but right is right and wrong is wrong. Bendtsens web site states that it fits the 606, 603 and others as well as the Sprinter engine. It doesn't state that it is made to install the engine in any other angle then what the engines was originally designed for. The engines set at a 15 degree angle, end of story. Not sure what a functional manner, would be considered.

zeeman
Holset

04-08-2016, 01:01 AM #25
After contacting Bob at Bendtsens again about the clocking problem, he agreed to address the problem. I explained the problem with the engine needing to be at a 15 degree angle and sent him pictures to confirm it. He agreed with my calculations.

He asked to have the adapter returned and would replace it with a corrected one. I did so and promptly receive a revised version with the correct 15 degrees.

I was happy with his service and would expect he would treat others with the same problem the same way. He does do some fine work, no telling what happened on this.
zeeman
04-08-2016, 01:01 AM #25

After contacting Bob at Bendtsens again about the clocking problem, he agreed to address the problem. I explained the problem with the engine needing to be at a 15 degree angle and sent him pictures to confirm it. He agreed with my calculations.

He asked to have the adapter returned and would replace it with a corrected one. I did so and promptly receive a revised version with the correct 15 degrees.

I was happy with his service and would expect he would treat others with the same problem the same way. He does do some fine work, no telling what happened on this.

JVance
GTA2056V

04-08-2016, 08:45 AM #26
Good deal, and good to hear Bob stepped up to correct your problem, and ensure future om60x swaps are oriented properly!
JVance
04-08-2016, 08:45 AM #26

Good deal, and good to hear Bob stepped up to correct your problem, and ensure future om60x swaps are oriented properly!

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

04-08-2016, 08:54 AM #27
Mine also had discrepancies from the intended OM606.961 to Ford modular. It's back at Bendtsen's also and I will report the outcome.
50harleyrider
04-08-2016, 08:54 AM #27

Mine also had discrepancies from the intended OM606.961 to Ford modular. It's back at Bendtsen's also and I will report the outcome.

[486]
TA 0301

04-11-2016, 11:55 PM #28
(04-01-2016, 12:42 AM)F.R.A.S I'm sorry but have I missed something??? If you PAY for something you expect to get just that... Going to the store and buying a can of Pepsi and it's half empty. Would that be OK?
Just my 5-cents.
...but it isn't anything less than advertised, where on the other hand all of your examples are something being less than what you were buying.

It is an adapter between (engine) to (trans) with nothing else advertised other than that it bolts the two together. Any assumptions to clocking angle are just that, only assumptions, unless specified or asked. Maybe the first one was to fit into a '32 chevrolet (or just something with a narrower hood), and he just kept the cad model around in case someone else wanted one. If it were spun round by 40 degrees or more I could understand the shock and backlash displayed here, but it would still be a matter of making assumptions where questions should have been asked.

To me it is like someone complaining about it being 1" thick, when in the factory application the engine was designed to have the trans bellhousing bolted against the block with only a thin dust cover between.

Not that any of this matters, as it seems he's agreed to rework it.
[486]
04-11-2016, 11:55 PM #28

(04-01-2016, 12:42 AM)F.R.A.S I'm sorry but have I missed something??? If you PAY for something you expect to get just that... Going to the store and buying a can of Pepsi and it's half empty. Would that be OK?
Just my 5-cents.
...but it isn't anything less than advertised, where on the other hand all of your examples are something being less than what you were buying.

It is an adapter between (engine) to (trans) with nothing else advertised other than that it bolts the two together. Any assumptions to clocking angle are just that, only assumptions, unless specified or asked. Maybe the first one was to fit into a '32 chevrolet (or just something with a narrower hood), and he just kept the cad model around in case someone else wanted one. If it were spun round by 40 degrees or more I could understand the shock and backlash displayed here, but it would still be a matter of making assumptions where questions should have been asked.

To me it is like someone complaining about it being 1" thick, when in the factory application the engine was designed to have the trans bellhousing bolted against the block with only a thin dust cover between.

zeeman
Holset

04-12-2016, 12:32 AM #29
(04-11-2016, 11:55 PM)[486]
Just my 5-cents.

Well I guess someone has to have the last word on this. I think all the facts have been presented, you can make your own conclusion on this. Some of us strive to do work that excels the norm I guess.
This post was last modified: 04-12-2016, 12:36 AM by zeeman.
zeeman
04-12-2016, 12:32 AM #29

Just my 5-cents.

Well I guess someone has to have the last word on this. I think all the facts have been presented, you can make your own conclusion on this. Some of us strive to do work that excels the norm I guess.

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

04-12-2016, 05:55 AM #30
(04-12-2016, 12:32 AM)zeeman
Just my 5-cents.

Zeeman you are right 100% and should not have had to specify the clocking you wanted. It is a logical assumption that the engine would be clocked same as factory unless you asked for a special clocking. Bob realizes that and is going to have the 7 and 15 degree options in the future. All is well now thanks to you.
50harleyrider
04-12-2016, 05:55 AM #30

(04-12-2016, 12:32 AM)zeeman
Just my 5-cents.

Zeeman you are right 100% and should not have had to specify the clocking you wanted. It is a logical assumption that the engine would be clocked same as factory unless you asked for a special clocking. Bob realizes that and is going to have the 7 and 15 degree options in the future. All is well now thanks to you.

EDH_Performance
Holset

04-17-2016, 11:16 PM #31
(03-25-2016, 11:52 AM)zeeman

Oh crap,

I have run my 606 with stock "15 degree" oilpan standing leveled in my boat all summer without problems! Only filled 0.5 liter or so extraWink
EDH_Performance
04-17-2016, 11:16 PM #31

(03-25-2016, 11:52 AM)zeeman

Oh crap,

I have run my 606 with stock "15 degree" oilpan standing leveled in my boat all summer without problems! Only filled 0.5 liter or so extraWink

Tobulus
GT2256V

04-19-2016, 11:10 AM #32
Here in Germany, you can get the Sprinter from MB fitted with a natural gas engine instead of a diesel engine. This is basically a modified M271 engine, and it also sitzs at an angle because MB didnt create a different bellhousing for the sprinter gearbox.
Tobulus
04-19-2016, 11:10 AM #32

Here in Germany, you can get the Sprinter from MB fitted with a natural gas engine instead of a diesel engine. This is basically a modified M271 engine, and it also sitzs at an angle because MB didnt create a different bellhousing for the sprinter gearbox.

Tobulus
GT2256V

04-19-2016, 11:32 AM #33
[Image: IMAG1369_zpssjhycx0u.jpg]
Tobulus
04-19-2016, 11:32 AM #33

[Image: IMAG1369_zpssjhycx0u.jpg]

zeeman
Holset

04-20-2016, 01:08 AM #34
(04-19-2016, 11:10 AM)Tobulus Here in Germany,  you can get the Sprinter from MB fitted with a natural gas engine instead of a diesel engine.  This is basically a modified M271 engine,  and it also sitzs at an angle because MB didnt create a different bellhousing for the sprinter gearbox.

It seems the 603, 605, 606 and Sprinter engine share the same angle and bellhousing bolt pattern. you guys over there get all the cool engines we can't get here in the USA.
zeeman
04-20-2016, 01:08 AM #34

(04-19-2016, 11:10 AM)Tobulus Here in Germany,  you can get the Sprinter from MB fitted with a natural gas engine instead of a diesel engine.  This is basically a modified M271 engine,  and it also sitzs at an angle because MB didnt create a different bellhousing for the sprinter gearbox.

It seems the 603, 605, 606 and Sprinter engine share the same angle and bellhousing bolt pattern. you guys over there get all the cool engines we can't get here in the USA.

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

04-20-2016, 05:43 AM #35
We sure are limited in the states. I was going to use a 5 cylinder TDI VE engine in my swap until I found out it was never offered over here and would take some serious grey market effort to get one. Now that I've done my research, the OM606.962 is a better option anyhow-unbelievably smooth and enough support on here to 'get it done'. I got my corrected adapter from Bendtsen back yesterday and will post up a pic in my F150 build thread when I get it bolted on. By the looks of the quality of his work, I figured he'd get things to suit us.
This post was last modified: 04-20-2016, 05:46 AM by 50harleyrider.
50harleyrider
04-20-2016, 05:43 AM #35

We sure are limited in the states. I was going to use a 5 cylinder TDI VE engine in my swap until I found out it was never offered over here and would take some serious grey market effort to get one. Now that I've done my research, the OM606.962 is a better option anyhow-unbelievably smooth and enough support on here to 'get it done'. I got my corrected adapter from Bendtsen back yesterday and will post up a pic in my F150 build thread when I get it bolted on. By the looks of the quality of his work, I figured he'd get things to suit us.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average