STD Tuning Engine OM606 ECU chiping

OM606 ECU chiping

OM606 ECU chiping

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

canyondrift
Naturally-aspirated

04-28-2016, 03:10 PM #1
Greetings,

I have been observing this forum for quite a while and now I am finally writing something...

To start, I am going to mention that this thread and information is only for personal use, not to make any profit by chipping other cars.

I have a W210T (Wagon) with a 606 engine and seeing all the work that can be done to a 606 engine got me wondering about something. As most of people are swapping injection pump to a manual one, I would like to have a original electronic pump and tweek it up a little. Maybe someday it is possible to get a bigger turbo, bigger cooler, etc...
Bot for now I was looking into chipping the original ecu.
Why to chip - keeps things simple, all accessories working, and does not produce a lot of black smoke when done correctly.

So to start I have searched some info on chipping the original ECU on 606 engine. It should have a MSA type ecu and there is some information on how to tune it, but nothing in chipping is quite the same on different types of ECU-s. I have learned that maps on this model are stored on two chips, HHH and LLL. Also it has 9 separate codeblocks and when to modify it is needed to modify them all. Chips are soldered to ECU motherboard and need to be desoldered, replaced with a socket for further chip installment.
One important thing is also that chips are only one time writeable EPROMs so if something goes wrong, then it is needed to write a new chip (Yes you can delete data off of them with a ultrasound/light?, but it is time consuming)

I also have found some maplocations searching over forums (not sure that this is accurate data - but looks like it):

Maps in first codeblocks :
voltage 3D8D4
torque 3CF04 (20X1)
smoke 3D004
driver wish 3A000
3AF7E would be EGR,
3CAB8 would be cranking IQ
3E7C0 would be requested boost
3EBA0 would be atmospheric pressure boost limiter
3E4B2 IQ limit

The main goal would be to increase fueling a bit, tweek up torque, delete EGR (not by a resistor and a diode) and maybe possibly to modify the ecu to delete MAF and change MAP sensor to another one.

Maybe someone (someones friend?) has got information about chipping, what to change, where... Maybe someone has a stage 1 or 2 chip on (maybe could download the HHH and LLL files from there), that can be used as a reference to make further changes, or I have seen some threads (like the Lexus thread) that already have chipped ecus, but there is not much information out there. Also what number or type of chips are used to replace the original ones?

I have got the original files, i can open them, i can understand some lines, but it would be nice to work together with  someone to make mods, otherwise it would end in a disaster (blown turbo or something)

I hope that this thread is going to be useful to all that are interested in chipping their own ECU.
canyondrift
04-28-2016, 03:10 PM #1

Greetings,

I have been observing this forum for quite a while and now I am finally writing something...

To start, I am going to mention that this thread and information is only for personal use, not to make any profit by chipping other cars.

I have a W210T (Wagon) with a 606 engine and seeing all the work that can be done to a 606 engine got me wondering about something. As most of people are swapping injection pump to a manual one, I would like to have a original electronic pump and tweek it up a little. Maybe someday it is possible to get a bigger turbo, bigger cooler, etc...
Bot for now I was looking into chipping the original ecu.
Why to chip - keeps things simple, all accessories working, and does not produce a lot of black smoke when done correctly.

So to start I have searched some info on chipping the original ECU on 606 engine. It should have a MSA type ecu and there is some information on how to tune it, but nothing in chipping is quite the same on different types of ECU-s. I have learned that maps on this model are stored on two chips, HHH and LLL. Also it has 9 separate codeblocks and when to modify it is needed to modify them all. Chips are soldered to ECU motherboard and need to be desoldered, replaced with a socket for further chip installment.
One important thing is also that chips are only one time writeable EPROMs so if something goes wrong, then it is needed to write a new chip (Yes you can delete data off of them with a ultrasound/light?, but it is time consuming)

I also have found some maplocations searching over forums (not sure that this is accurate data - but looks like it):

Maps in first codeblocks :
voltage 3D8D4
torque 3CF04 (20X1)
smoke 3D004
driver wish 3A000
3AF7E would be EGR,
3CAB8 would be cranking IQ
3E7C0 would be requested boost
3EBA0 would be atmospheric pressure boost limiter
3E4B2 IQ limit

The main goal would be to increase fueling a bit, tweek up torque, delete EGR (not by a resistor and a diode) and maybe possibly to modify the ecu to delete MAF and change MAP sensor to another one.

Maybe someone (someones friend?) has got information about chipping, what to change, where... Maybe someone has a stage 1 or 2 chip on (maybe could download the HHH and LLL files from there), that can be used as a reference to make further changes, or I have seen some threads (like the Lexus thread) that already have chipped ecus, but there is not much information out there. Also what number or type of chips are used to replace the original ones?

I have got the original files, i can open them, i can understand some lines, but it would be nice to work together with  someone to make mods, otherwise it would end in a disaster (blown turbo or something)

I hope that this thread is going to be useful to all that are interested in chipping their own ECU.

seanyt
is300d He351ve

04-28-2016, 03:21 PM #2
The chips i use are 27sf020 you can also use 27c020 but there one time programmable.
I have a selection of stage 1 605/606 remaps and also custom maps that run the stock pump to the limit without smoking only suitable for new turbos.

Im working on a raised rev limit map at present, ill have it tested over the weekend now my walbro 255 pump is fitted.
My maps have egr remove and most limp most settings removed.

Im also running an 8mm pump now and have maps for that pump also
seanyt
04-28-2016, 03:21 PM #2

The chips i use are 27sf020 you can also use 27c020 but there one time programmable.
I have a selection of stage 1 605/606 remaps and also custom maps that run the stock pump to the limit without smoking only suitable for new turbos.

Im working on a raised rev limit map at present, ill have it tested over the weekend now my walbro 255 pump is fitted.
My maps have egr remove and most limp most settings removed.

Im also running an 8mm pump now and have maps for that pump also

street_666
Hx55

04-28-2016, 05:15 PM #3
That interesting what are You writing canyondrift .
Keep the progres.
street_666
04-28-2016, 05:15 PM #3

That interesting what are You writing canyondrift .
Keep the progres.

starynovy
Holset

04-29-2016, 01:07 AM #4
Original chips will serve you as backup as they can not be rewriten nor erased-these are not UV erasable. It is quite simple to mod this ECU and I agree that mechanical pumps should have died out looong ago. You can tweak smokelimiter even with big turbo so it produces relative smoke free power. If i remember right, from what I calculated a stage 1 remap will give you some 160kW in W210, pretty decent.. Then decalibration of pump voltage map comes in place and you can go even further, it will smoke because of small elements and stock turbo will not be enough though. Ask if you need some help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ex: 525tds 130kW, C250TD 160kW, E320CDI 200kW, ML400CDI 230kW, A6 R5TDI 130kW
Now: Q7 V8TDI 240kW, 320d 150kW, 335d 210kW
starynovy
04-29-2016, 01:07 AM #4

Original chips will serve you as backup as they can not be rewriten nor erased-these are not UV erasable. It is quite simple to mod this ECU and I agree that mechanical pumps should have died out looong ago. You can tweak smokelimiter even with big turbo so it produces relative smoke free power. If i remember right, from what I calculated a stage 1 remap will give you some 160kW in W210, pretty decent.. Then decalibration of pump voltage map comes in place and you can go even further, it will smoke because of small elements and stock turbo will not be enough though. Ask if you need some help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

canyondrift
Naturally-aspirated

04-29-2016, 03:37 AM #5
Everyone says that this ECU is quite simple to tune, I even found a manual on how to tune MSA15 type of ECU. But for a beginner it is too much info to process, like you have to change all other maps including, not just one map.

I have got someones chip modification files too, but they seem funky and has been said that they smoke a lot, but i have got some reference.

I have watched EDC15 tutorials from vagecumap (recommended to watch to understand some basics) on youtube, but it is a different type of ECU to tune. It gives out the basics and explains a lot on ECU info.

To start with my ECU tuning I would like to get another ECU (or is it completely useless). I am aware of the immo problem, but it is removable too.

If anyone is willing to share their stage 1 maps, then it would be easier to understand what needs to be changed and why. Then it may be even possible to locate maps, because I'm not quite sure that map locations in the first post are accurate.

I can share all my .ori and instruction files that I have collected.

I understand that if in the future I would like to change to a bigger turbo (this one is said to be too small for the stock too), then how would the ECU know to actuate the turbo actuator. I assume that when its done, no one is using the original actuator and electronic module to control it, but a separate wastegate or even built in one that is controlled by boost pressure, not vacuum.

Reading other ECU-s EGR delete, then some say, that when changed a binary data 0 to 1 or vice versa in ECU, then EGR is turned off... Is it possible on this ECU too?
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRt50aSjrx4][/url]
canyondrift
04-29-2016, 03:37 AM #5

Everyone says that this ECU is quite simple to tune, I even found a manual on how to tune MSA15 type of ECU. But for a beginner it is too much info to process, like you have to change all other maps including, not just one map.

I have got someones chip modification files too, but they seem funky and has been said that they smoke a lot, but i have got some reference.

I have watched EDC15 tutorials from vagecumap (recommended to watch to understand some basics) on youtube, but it is a different type of ECU to tune. It gives out the basics and explains a lot on ECU info.

To start with my ECU tuning I would like to get another ECU (or is it completely useless). I am aware of the immo problem, but it is removable too.

If anyone is willing to share their stage 1 maps, then it would be easier to understand what needs to be changed and why. Then it may be even possible to locate maps, because I'm not quite sure that map locations in the first post are accurate.

I can share all my .ori and instruction files that I have collected.

I understand that if in the future I would like to change to a bigger turbo (this one is said to be too small for the stock too), then how would the ECU know to actuate the turbo actuator. I assume that when its done, no one is using the original actuator and electronic module to control it, but a separate wastegate or even built in one that is controlled by boost pressure, not vacuum.

Reading other ECU-s EGR delete, then some say, that when changed a binary data 0 to 1 or vice versa in ECU, then EGR is turned off... Is it possible on this ECU too?
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRt50aSjrx4][/url]

starynovy
Holset

04-30-2016, 03:21 PM #6
Well if you dont have manufacturers description file for your ECU, you dont know location of lets say EGR switch (IF it has it). It is impossible to blindly find one bit in dump and say this is some switch. However you will always find EGR map which can be moded so EGR stays closed, then you can remove it completely only selenoid remains connected to avoid DTC/CEL problems.

Those vids on YT are good to get some grip with winOLS, you will see soon enough that on Mercedes engines like your there is shit on internet so map finding and indexing will be up to you. If you want easy way, buy TDI-for that there is some much material on net even 5y old could tune it.  Big Grin

starynovy
04-30-2016, 03:21 PM #6

Well if you dont have manufacturers description file for your ECU, you dont know location of lets say EGR switch (IF it has it). It is impossible to blindly find one bit in dump and say this is some switch. However you will always find EGR map which can be moded so EGR stays closed, then you can remove it completely only selenoid remains connected to avoid DTC/CEL problems.

Those vids on YT are good to get some grip with winOLS, you will see soon enough that on Mercedes engines like your there is shit on internet so map finding and indexing will be up to you. If you want easy way, buy TDI-for that there is some much material on net even 5y old could tune it.  Big Grin

seanyt
is300d He351ve

04-30-2016, 03:35 PM #7
Egr is not a simple switch of a 1 to a 0. Its a byte that has to be changed. And its different for each block.
It also stops the ecu from going to limp when either airglow or egr vacuum uw removed.
I had to pay to get hold of that information. Like some other bits of information.
seanyt
04-30-2016, 03:35 PM #7

Egr is not a simple switch of a 1 to a 0. Its a byte that has to be changed. And its different for each block.
It also stops the ecu from going to limp when either airglow or egr vacuum uw removed.
I had to pay to get hold of that information. Like some other bits of information.

deviance
HE351VE

05-02-2016, 12:05 PM #8
0x3D004 - Injection at part throotle
0x3D8D4 - Injection
0x3E7C0 - Turbo Pressure
0x3CF04 - Torque Limiter
deviance
05-02-2016, 12:05 PM #8

0x3D004 - Injection at part throotle
0x3D8D4 - Injection
0x3E7C0 - Turbo Pressure
0x3CF04 - Torque Limiter

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

05-02-2016, 12:38 PM #9
PM Baldur or go to his website. I'm going to use his DSL1 ECU in my OM606.962 F150 swap and keep the E-pump and become a tuner Huh . I just ordered it. From what I've heard in the past, the architecture of the oe ecu is very limiting for tuning and turning up the hp.
This post was last modified: 05-02-2016, 12:42 PM by 50harleyrider.
50harleyrider
05-02-2016, 12:38 PM #9

PM Baldur or go to his website. I'm going to use his DSL1 ECU in my OM606.962 F150 swap and keep the E-pump and become a tuner Huh . I just ordered it. From what I've heard in the past, the architecture of the oe ecu is very limiting for tuning and turning up the hp.

canyondrift
Naturally-aspirated

05-03-2016, 02:22 AM #10
Baldurs ECU looks like a fun toy to play with, but at the moment for learning and understanding of ECU basics it is cheaper to chip oem...
At the moment I dont have time to do any remapping and test it on my car, so ill just look for info, but when i can get my hands on a eprom writer and a bunch of suitable chips, then it would be fun to tune something (As sayd - make minor changes and think about it)

About Winols or editing... Is it possible to change map axis data... Like let say max fuel is 60mg, but I would like it to be 70 or 80 - offset map axis data by writing a new column. (Saw it done by vagecumap on youtube)

And I have understood that ECU maping is a well held secret that you only pay to get information... I dont quite trust tuners in Estonia, because I guess they all have bought their stage1 maps in and they do not know how and where is some data stored. (Like i called to a tuningshop and asked about EGR delete in their chip, they said that they dont know is it there or not...)
canyondrift
05-03-2016, 02:22 AM #10

Baldurs ECU looks like a fun toy to play with, but at the moment for learning and understanding of ECU basics it is cheaper to chip oem...
At the moment I dont have time to do any remapping and test it on my car, so ill just look for info, but when i can get my hands on a eprom writer and a bunch of suitable chips, then it would be fun to tune something (As sayd - make minor changes and think about it)

About Winols or editing... Is it possible to change map axis data... Like let say max fuel is 60mg, but I would like it to be 70 or 80 - offset map axis data by writing a new column. (Saw it done by vagecumap on youtube)

And I have understood that ECU maping is a well held secret that you only pay to get information... I dont quite trust tuners in Estonia, because I guess they all have bought their stage1 maps in and they do not know how and where is some data stored. (Like i called to a tuningshop and asked about EGR delete in their chip, they said that they dont know is it there or not...)

baldur
Fast

05-03-2016, 10:25 AM #11
Getting serious about chipping the OEM ECU you really need to get a pair of rom emulators to emulate the two chips so you don't have to swap chips for every little change you experiment with. Then you also need a chip burner, something to log data off the ecu and some chips along with a winols license and definition file. All of this kit together isn't any cheaper than my ECU which allows you to make adjustments while the engine is running and read back real time data using nothing but a laptop and a USB cable.
But swapping ECUs is not for everybody, the alternate ECU doesn't communicate with any of the OE systems such as instrument cluster or auto trans by default, making it perfect for engine swap applications where those systems aren't compatible with the Mercedes ECU any way, but not ideal for a mildly modified road car.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
05-03-2016, 10:25 AM #11

Getting serious about chipping the OEM ECU you really need to get a pair of rom emulators to emulate the two chips so you don't have to swap chips for every little change you experiment with. Then you also need a chip burner, something to log data off the ecu and some chips along with a winols license and definition file. All of this kit together isn't any cheaper than my ECU which allows you to make adjustments while the engine is running and read back real time data using nothing but a laptop and a USB cable.
But swapping ECUs is not for everybody, the alternate ECU doesn't communicate with any of the OE systems such as instrument cluster or auto trans by default, making it perfect for engine swap applications where those systems aren't compatible with the Mercedes ECU any way, but not ideal for a mildly modified road car.

Baldur Gislason

street_666
Hx55

05-03-2016, 10:43 AM #12
(05-03-2016, 10:25 AM)baldur Getting serious about chipping the OEM ECU you really need to get a pair of rom emulators to emulate the two chips so you don't have to swap chips for every little change you experiment with. Then you also need a chip burner, something to log data off the ecu and some chips along with a winols license and definition file. All of this kit together isn't any cheaper than my ECU which allows you to make adjustments while the engine is running and read back real time data using nothing but a laptop and a USB cable.

What contains your kit? Rom's and?
What kind of cable you you use for connecting to car and soft for reading, whiping,writing data.
street_666
05-03-2016, 10:43 AM #12

(05-03-2016, 10:25 AM)baldur Getting serious about chipping the OEM ECU you really need to get a pair of rom emulators to emulate the two chips so you don't have to swap chips for every little change you experiment with. Then you also need a chip burner, something to log data off the ecu and some chips along with a winols license and definition file. All of this kit together isn't any cheaper than my ECU which allows you to make adjustments while the engine is running and read back real time data using nothing but a laptop and a USB cable.

What kind of cable you you use for connecting to car and soft for reading, whiping,writing data.

baldur
Fast

05-03-2016, 10:49 AM #13
(05-03-2016, 10:43 AM)street_666

My ECU just uses a USB cable to connect to the laptop, no other kit necessary.

I used to play with chips and occasionally still do for some cars, and for that I mostly used Moates Ostrich and Tunerpro.
But in general, and this applies to most OEM remap solutions both ancient and modern, making an OEM ECU do something it's not designed for is a pain in the ass, and all of the software offered to do so is buggy as hell.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
05-03-2016, 10:49 AM #13

(05-03-2016, 10:43 AM)street_666

My ECU just uses a USB cable to connect to the laptop, no other kit necessary.

I used to play with chips and occasionally still do for some cars, and for that I mostly used Moates Ostrich and Tunerpro.
But in general, and this applies to most OEM remap solutions both ancient and modern, making an OEM ECU do something it's not designed for is a pain in the ass, and all of the software offered to do so is buggy as hell.

Baldur Gislason

canyondrift
Naturally-aspirated

05-09-2016, 12:39 AM #14
Is there any software that can define map data other than winols?

And what hardware are people using to read/write to those 27sf020 chips? I have seen some e/eprom writers on ebay, but i understand they need some adapter to suit different types of chips.

Has anyone done anything to atm gearbox ECU? I guess its almost the same, variable table, but correct me if im wrong.
canyondrift
05-09-2016, 12:39 AM #14

Is there any software that can define map data other than winols?

And what hardware are people using to read/write to those 27sf020 chips? I have seen some e/eprom writers on ebay, but i understand they need some adapter to suit different types of chips.

Has anyone done anything to atm gearbox ECU? I guess its almost the same, variable table, but correct me if im wrong.

deviance
HE351VE

05-09-2016, 03:31 AM #15
canyondrift Is there any software that can define map data other than winols?

ECM Titanium. You can find it online and 'buy' be aware about trojans, works great.

canyondrift And what hardware are people using to read/write to those 27sf020 chips? I have seen some e/eprom writers on ebay, but i understand they need some adapter to suit different types of chips.

TOP853 (old one) is really good beginner eeprom reader, works on XP and Windows 7 32bit.

canyondrift Has anyone done anything to atm gearbox ECU? I guess its almost the same, variable table, but correct me if im wrong.

You can adjust many things with MB Star. Really expensive and bad chinese clones.
This post was last modified: 05-09-2016, 03:33 AM by deviance.
deviance
05-09-2016, 03:31 AM #15

canyondrift Is there any software that can define map data other than winols?

ECM Titanium. You can find it online and 'buy' be aware about trojans, works great.

canyondrift And what hardware are people using to read/write to those 27sf020 chips? I have seen some e/eprom writers on ebay, but i understand they need some adapter to suit different types of chips.

TOP853 (old one) is really good beginner eeprom reader, works on XP and Windows 7 32bit.

canyondrift Has anyone done anything to atm gearbox ECU? I guess its almost the same, variable table, but correct me if im wrong.

You can adjust many things with MB Star. Really expensive and bad chinese clones.

canyondrift
Naturally-aspirated

05-09-2016, 08:37 AM #16
I have tried ECM soft, and it has OM606 in its database, but d@mos or something is broken and mine could not read anything.

Hmm, star can adjust gearbox - i will have to ask local repair shop that has star diagnostics for help... Thanks
canyondrift
05-09-2016, 08:37 AM #16

I have tried ECM soft, and it has OM606 in its database, but d@mos or something is broken and mine could not read anything.

Hmm, star can adjust gearbox - i will have to ask local repair shop that has star diagnostics for help... Thanks

deviance
HE351VE

05-09-2016, 01:46 PM #17
Your star must be in Developer mode!
deviance
05-09-2016, 01:46 PM #17

Your star must be in Developer mode!

canyondrift
Naturally-aspirated

05-09-2016, 02:28 PM #18
I assume that gearbox has a eeprom in it so it is overwriteable... Seen some youtube videos where you can reset your gearbox as it should be a learning box - is this information right? I tried resetting it, but at the moment i see no difference in gearbox action. (Turn key to ignition, press gas pedal to kickdown, hold it for 15 seconds, turn off ignition and wait for 3 minutes)
canyondrift
05-09-2016, 02:28 PM #18

I assume that gearbox has a eeprom in it so it is overwriteable... Seen some youtube videos where you can reset your gearbox as it should be a learning box - is this information right? I tried resetting it, but at the moment i see no difference in gearbox action. (Turn key to ignition, press gas pedal to kickdown, hold it for 15 seconds, turn off ignition and wait for 3 minutes)

gstardiag
Naturally-aspirated

08-10-2016, 01:41 PM #19
(05-09-2016, 02:28 PM)canyondrift I assume that gearbox has a eeprom in it so it is overwriteable... Seen some youtube videos where you can reset your gearbox as it should be a learning box - is this information right? I tried resetting it, but at the moment i see no difference in gearbox action. (Turn key to ignition, press gas pedal to kickdown, hold it for 15 seconds, turn off ignition and wait for 3 minutes)

Hello!
What is your results now?

Your task is mirroring mine.

Now i have bought the same ecu as mine (MSA25.1) 
Waiting for cheap and good programmator TL866A.
After that i am planning to download FW than give it to some famous German tune company(already have paid their work) and we will look together what they have done with hhh and lll chips.
ALSO what chips is better to buy instead stock OTP ROM? 28f020 ? 

My regards!
Lets be in touch
gstardiag
08-10-2016, 01:41 PM #19

(05-09-2016, 02:28 PM)canyondrift I assume that gearbox has a eeprom in it so it is overwriteable... Seen some youtube videos where you can reset your gearbox as it should be a learning box - is this information right? I tried resetting it, but at the moment i see no difference in gearbox action. (Turn key to ignition, press gas pedal to kickdown, hold it for 15 seconds, turn off ignition and wait for 3 minutes)

Hello!
What is your results now?

Your task is mirroring mine.

Now i have bought the same ecu as mine (MSA25.1) 
Waiting for cheap and good programmator TL866A.
After that i am planning to download FW than give it to some famous German tune company(already have paid their work) and we will look together what they have done with hhh and lll chips.
ALSO what chips is better to buy instead stock OTP ROM? 28f020 ? 

My regards!
Lets be in touch

starynovy
Holset

08-13-2016, 02:25 PM #20
AMD 27F010 for example.

starynovy
08-13-2016, 02:25 PM #20

AMD 27F010 for example.

gstardiag
Naturally-aspirated

08-14-2016, 12:07 AM #21
(08-13-2016, 02:25 PM)starynovy AMD 27F010 for example.

Thank you for the opinion!
But what speed is necessary ? 55ns,90?150?
Are you sure that 010 capacity will fit? If I am not mistaken there should be 020 used,or not?

My regards
gstardiag
08-14-2016, 12:07 AM #21

(08-13-2016, 02:25 PM)starynovy AMD 27F010 for example.

Thank you for the opinion!
But what speed is necessary ? 55ns,90?150?
Are you sure that 010 capacity will fit? If I am not mistaken there should be 020 used,or not?

My regards

starynovy
Holset

08-15-2016, 03:43 PM #22
It fits, I had these for TDI and sticked them in. They just work, If I recall they are 90ns. Works on older MSA15.1 and newer MSA25 too.

starynovy
08-15-2016, 03:43 PM #22

It fits, I had these for TDI and sticked them in. They just work, If I recall they are 90ns. Works on older MSA15.1 and newer MSA25 too.

seanyt
is300d He351ve

08-15-2016, 04:22 PM #23
I always use sst 27sf020
seanyt
08-15-2016, 04:22 PM #23

I always use sst 27sf020

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average