STD Other Alt fuels My appleseed processor

My appleseed processor

My appleseed processor

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

patracy
Naturally-aspirated

08-10-2008, 08:08 PM #1
I just got my biodiesel reactor built. It's a 50 gallon water heater. I picked it up from my brother in law, so all in all I've got about $200 in the reactor. The ball valves are the most expensive part at $6 each. It had a pinhole leak in the base. So I spot welded it. Then applied epoxy around the base. Then sealed it with some waterproofing duct tape. I didn't know where the leak was so I skinned the entire tank. I only remove the lower portion of the insulation. I wrapped the top in gorilla duct tape. I highly recommend that stuff. Very strong.

Here's the complete setup
[Image: IMAG0033.jpg]

A close up of the pump and some valving.
[Image: IMAG0034.jpg]

The top valving and temp gauge
[Image: IMAG0035.jpg]

I flushed the tank last night with this and about 25 gallons of water. I let the pump circulate it. Lots of crud came out when I pumped it out. I only ran it for a few minutes. Then I followed up with a full tank of water. Circulated it for a bit. Then pumped out. The cleaner is acid and would eat through the tank as well if you let it sit.

[Image: IMAG0036.jpg]

The setup is based off the appleseed reactor. But I added the sight tube for better level gauge. I also just used the pressure relief valve for my vent. I've also rewired from the thermostat to the lower element with 12 gauge wire instead of the 14 gauge it had. The upper element has been disconnected. You don't want to use it due to the methanol vapors.

The next thing on the list is a handle to pull it around on. I just need to pick up a door hinge. The reactor is on an old roller base. It just needs something to pull at the base to be easily moved. It's top heavy as it is unloaded. I'm also going to setup a control box with timers for the water heater and the pump.

The other large hose on top stuck to the ball valve is the output hose. I'll port that over to a 55 gallon drum to have as my wash tank. I plan on using a plastic barrel that I'll make a rolling frame to set it up on. Then I'll install a bulkhead fitting in the base. Heat the barrels plastic and stretch it into a cone bottom. That'll allow things to be drained off easier.

Tomorrow I'll try to pick that up and get started on it. I've got the lye and methanol and the WVO. Hopefully I'll have a batch ready to go by next weekend.

Oh and I'm going to try to have a adapter machined up to swap my generator head over to a diesel engine I have to power everything. The generator will run on biodiesel as well.
patracy
08-10-2008, 08:08 PM #1

I just got my biodiesel reactor built. It's a 50 gallon water heater. I picked it up from my brother in law, so all in all I've got about $200 in the reactor. The ball valves are the most expensive part at $6 each. It had a pinhole leak in the base. So I spot welded it. Then applied epoxy around the base. Then sealed it with some waterproofing duct tape. I didn't know where the leak was so I skinned the entire tank. I only remove the lower portion of the insulation. I wrapped the top in gorilla duct tape. I highly recommend that stuff. Very strong.

Here's the complete setup
[Image: IMAG0033.jpg]

A close up of the pump and some valving.
[Image: IMAG0034.jpg]

The top valving and temp gauge
[Image: IMAG0035.jpg]

I flushed the tank last night with this and about 25 gallons of water. I let the pump circulate it. Lots of crud came out when I pumped it out. I only ran it for a few minutes. Then I followed up with a full tank of water. Circulated it for a bit. Then pumped out. The cleaner is acid and would eat through the tank as well if you let it sit.

[Image: IMAG0036.jpg]

The setup is based off the appleseed reactor. But I added the sight tube for better level gauge. I also just used the pressure relief valve for my vent. I've also rewired from the thermostat to the lower element with 12 gauge wire instead of the 14 gauge it had. The upper element has been disconnected. You don't want to use it due to the methanol vapors.

The next thing on the list is a handle to pull it around on. I just need to pick up a door hinge. The reactor is on an old roller base. It just needs something to pull at the base to be easily moved. It's top heavy as it is unloaded. I'm also going to setup a control box with timers for the water heater and the pump.

The other large hose on top stuck to the ball valve is the output hose. I'll port that over to a 55 gallon drum to have as my wash tank. I plan on using a plastic barrel that I'll make a rolling frame to set it up on. Then I'll install a bulkhead fitting in the base. Heat the barrels plastic and stretch it into a cone bottom. That'll allow things to be drained off easier.

Tomorrow I'll try to pick that up and get started on it. I've got the lye and methanol and the WVO. Hopefully I'll have a batch ready to go by next weekend.

Oh and I'm going to try to have a adapter machined up to swap my generator head over to a diesel engine I have to power everything. The generator will run on biodiesel as well.

biggriz86
Naturally-aspirated

08-11-2008, 11:30 AM #2
very cool stuff indeed, are you going to be using a single stage or two stage titration??
biggriz86
08-11-2008, 11:30 AM #2

very cool stuff indeed, are you going to be using a single stage or two stage titration??

patracy
Naturally-aspirated

08-11-2008, 07:06 PM #3
Picked up a few more goods for it today...

Pair of tanks. One for holding biodiesel, the other for the wash and dry stage. Already have bungs welded in for drains.
[Image: IMAG0037.jpg]

Also about 35 gallons of methanol.
[Image: IMAG0038.jpg]
patracy
08-11-2008, 07:06 PM #3

Picked up a few more goods for it today...

Pair of tanks. One for holding biodiesel, the other for the wash and dry stage. Already have bungs welded in for drains.
[Image: IMAG0037.jpg]

Also about 35 gallons of methanol.
[Image: IMAG0038.jpg]

winmutt
bitbanger

08-13-2008, 02:37 PM #4
Nice. You going to Butthead's party this Sat? If so and if I can make it we'll have to talk about your bio venture. I have some others that are local to me and interested.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42
winmutt
08-13-2008, 02:37 PM #4

Nice. You going to Butthead's party this Sat? If so and if I can make it we'll have to talk about your bio venture. I have some others that are local to me and interested.

1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1985 300D Weekend/Camping/Dog car
1974 L508D Motoroam Monarch "NightMare"
OBK #42

lyricsboy
Unregistered

08-13-2008, 02:54 PM #5
Quote:I wrapped the top in gorilla duct tape. I highly recommend that stuff. Very strong.

I'd recommend using caution when handling your biodiesel around this tape. I recently discovered that it makes quick work of the Gorilla Tape glue, pretty much neutralizing it.

Otherwise, looks like a nice processor!
lyricsboy
08-13-2008, 02:54 PM #5

Quote:I wrapped the top in gorilla duct tape. I highly recommend that stuff. Very strong.

I'd recommend using caution when handling your biodiesel around this tape. I recently discovered that it makes quick work of the Gorilla Tape glue, pretty much neutralizing it.

patracy
Naturally-aspirated

08-16-2008, 03:45 PM #6
winmutt Nice. You going to Butthead's party this Sat? If so and if I can make it we'll have to talk about your bio venture. I have some others that are local to me and interested.

Party? Didn't know about it?

Too bad I don't venture ITP anymore. I'd swing over and talk with you a bit. I can pm you my number if you'd like though.
patracy
08-16-2008, 03:45 PM #6

winmutt Nice. You going to Butthead's party this Sat? If so and if I can make it we'll have to talk about your bio venture. I have some others that are local to me and interested.

Party? Didn't know about it?

Too bad I don't venture ITP anymore. I'd swing over and talk with you a bit. I can pm you my number if you'd like though.

patracy
Naturally-aspirated

08-16-2008, 03:46 PM #7
lyricsboy

Well I don't plan on pouring bio on top of it. But I'll keep that in mind.
patracy
08-16-2008, 03:46 PM #7

lyricsboy

Well I don't plan on pouring bio on top of it. But I'll keep that in mind.

patracy
Naturally-aspirated

08-16-2008, 03:47 PM #8
Got a little more done today. I built a stand for the wash/dry/holding tanks. I've still got a bit more plumbing to do. But I need another clearwater pump and a air pump for that. I'm going to use two cross fittings. One at the base to allow both tanks to drain and feed the fill pump. Then at the top to spray the tanks back out and a line out for a "gas pump hose" to refill vehicles with. I'll also reuse my two goldenrod filters to filter the fuel with before going in the tank as well to grab anything that might have contaminated during the reaction/washing.

[Image: IMAG0042.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0043.jpg]
patracy
08-16-2008, 03:47 PM #8

Got a little more done today. I built a stand for the wash/dry/holding tanks. I've still got a bit more plumbing to do. But I need another clearwater pump and a air pump for that. I'm going to use two cross fittings. One at the base to allow both tanks to drain and feed the fill pump. Then at the top to spray the tanks back out and a line out for a "gas pump hose" to refill vehicles with. I'll also reuse my two goldenrod filters to filter the fuel with before going in the tank as well to grab anything that might have contaminated during the reaction/washing.

[Image: IMAG0042.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0043.jpg]

willbhere4u
Six in a row make her go!

08-13-2009, 09:15 PM #9
(08-10-2008, 08:08 PM)patracy I wrapped the top in gorilla duct tape. I highly recommend that stuff. Very strong.

No kidding I use to put body work together for SCCA race cars with this stuff! custom aero dynamic body tape!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running
willbhere4u
08-13-2009, 09:15 PM #9

(08-10-2008, 08:08 PM)patracy I wrapped the top in gorilla duct tape. I highly recommend that stuff. Very strong.

No kidding I use to put body work together for SCCA race cars with this stuff! custom aero dynamic body tape!

1987 300SDL 6spd manual om606.962 swap project
1985 300td euro 5spd wagon running

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average