STD Tuning Engine Headgaskets !?

Headgaskets !?

Headgaskets !?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MrHope
GT2256V

10-25-2016, 03:07 AM #1
How many diffrent headgaskets is there for the 606?

Seems to bee :
Fiber
Multilayer steel

is that fiber for n/a and MLS for the turbo?

and thickness 1,65 and 1,85 mm on MLS

some use a spray on gasket on the headgaskets is that to recomend?

if i machine the head will the thicker gasket be the one to go?

W460 300GD with om605 Turbo 6mm pump Build Thread!
W124 300D 1985 (daily driver)
MrHope
10-25-2016, 03:07 AM #1

How many diffrent headgaskets is there for the 606?

Seems to bee :
Fiber
Multilayer steel

is that fiber for n/a and MLS for the turbo?

and thickness 1,65 and 1,85 mm on MLS

some use a spray on gasket on the headgaskets is that to recomend?

if i machine the head will the thicker gasket be the one to go?

W460 300GD with om605 Turbo 6mm pump Build Thread!
W124 300D 1985 (daily driver)

barrote
Superturbo

10-25-2016, 03:51 AM #2
hello,
MB sels 3 thickness sizes of headgaskets, weather N/A or TD, usually MLS , the other ones tend to be discontinued.
The sizes are Standard, 1.2mm and 1.8mm, (after compression). one choses the head gasket thickness based on piston potrusion, after the block is assembled one measures the piston height above deck (piston potrusion) if it is in the order or the .5mm STD gasket can be used, this means the deck is at standard size, was never faced.
But if it is warped , with defects and so on , it needs to be faced, depending on how much one cuts the extra thickness gasket is needed to maintain piston clearence and combustion chamber size( Compression ratio)

For a STD project the MLS is the one that makes all the diference, but the head need to be faced and the block canot be warped , due it may leak.

Cutting the head assy face will never require a thicker gasket, unless one fears clearence. let me say that in my experience u had to cut 2mm in the head to fear piston to valve colision , two milimiters is a huge amount of materiel ....
regards

FD,