STD Tuning Engine Om606 running on 5 cylinders.

Om606 running on 5 cylinders.

Om606 running on 5 cylinders.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

chrisbrixp
Naturally-aspirated

10-25-2016, 09:56 PM #1
I have a 95 E300D om606na with about 260k miles on it. Im under the impression it may have a stuck or bottomed out Lifter. 

Ive only torn it apart by taking off the intake manifold. While running, it has exhaust coming from the air intake port, I believe its cylinder 3 but I have to confirm. 

Reading on other threads, there has been mention of valves being sunk due to excessive wear in the seat and valve. This causes the lifter to no longer have the hydraulic travel it originally had. Do you guys have any input, I wont be able to work on it until this weekend and I wanted to get some insight before then. Thanks in Advance, Christian.
chrisbrixp
10-25-2016, 09:56 PM #1

I have a 95 E300D om606na with about 260k miles on it. Im under the impression it may have a stuck or bottomed out Lifter. 

Ive only torn it apart by taking off the intake manifold. While running, it has exhaust coming from the air intake port, I believe its cylinder 3 but I have to confirm. 

Reading on other threads, there has been mention of valves being sunk due to excessive wear in the seat and valve. This causes the lifter to no longer have the hydraulic travel it originally had. Do you guys have any input, I wont be able to work on it until this weekend and I wanted to get some insight before then. Thanks in Advance, Christian.

NZScott
HX30W 73/44mm

10-26-2016, 02:11 AM #2
I've never even seen an OM606 yet alone worked on one but the amount of forum threads I see with this same issue leads me to believe it's a common problem normally caused by a bit of carbon lodged between valve and seat.

1978 300D, 373,000km... OM617.912 with a Holset HX30W, 7.5mm IP, 711.113 5 speed (project car, 7 years off the road and counting ;/)
1977 250 270,000km (parts car)
1977 300D (ex 280) 500,000km

1981 240D 498,000
1975 HJ45 ???,000
2001 2.8TD Rodeo 4x2 - 456,000 - DD

NZScott
10-26-2016, 02:11 AM #2

I've never even seen an OM606 yet alone worked on one but the amount of forum threads I see with this same issue leads me to believe it's a common problem normally caused by a bit of carbon lodged between valve and seat.

1978 300D, 373,000km... OM617.912 with a Holset HX30W, 7.5mm IP, 711.113 5 speed (project car, 7 years off the road and counting ;/)
1977 250 270,000km (parts car)
1977 300D (ex 280) 500,000km

1981 240D 498,000
1975 HJ45 ???,000
2001 2.8TD Rodeo 4x2 - 456,000 - DD

mantahead
Holset

10-26-2016, 02:12 PM #3
Normal enough if they sit a while, warm her up and it should clear itself with a bit of a rev.
mantahead
10-26-2016, 02:12 PM #3

Normal enough if they sit a while, warm her up and it should clear itself with a bit of a rev.

chrisbrixp
Naturally-aspirated

10-26-2016, 02:37 PM #4
I have to mention, the idle had an uneven fell to it for about the latest 5k miles. Even if the engine is at full temp, it would have a slight miss. I assumed it was the injectors needed to be rebuilt because I had no idea on the maintenance from the previous owner.
Another thing to mention; once I discovered the dead cylinder, I drove it home about 15 miles. This didn't clear anything, but it seems to vary on how bad it misses.
Side note, I had just changed the oil. I alway change every 3.5 to 4k miles and I reconnected the exhaust from the resonator back an hour prior to the problem. Back pressure?
Oil used was delo 15w-40. Viscosity issues took out the lifter?
Amsoil website said 15w40 was good above 5°f.
I'll take a look for soot but I would suspect it to clear driving it 15 miles through grades on the highway.
chrisbrixp
10-26-2016, 02:37 PM #4

I have to mention, the idle had an uneven fell to it for about the latest 5k miles. Even if the engine is at full temp, it would have a slight miss. I assumed it was the injectors needed to be rebuilt because I had no idea on the maintenance from the previous owner.
Another thing to mention; once I discovered the dead cylinder, I drove it home about 15 miles. This didn't clear anything, but it seems to vary on how bad it misses.
Side note, I had just changed the oil. I alway change every 3.5 to 4k miles and I reconnected the exhaust from the resonator back an hour prior to the problem. Back pressure?
Oil used was delo 15w-40. Viscosity issues took out the lifter?
Amsoil website said 15w40 was good above 5°f.
I'll take a look for soot but I would suspect it to clear driving it 15 miles through grades on the highway.

AlanMcR
mind - blown

10-26-2016, 03:13 PM #5
Valve recession is more likely on cylinders #5 & #6. It is caused by a combination of reduced cooling at the back of the head and also uneven distribution of intake air and exhaust back pressure.
AlanMcR
10-26-2016, 03:13 PM #5

Valve recession is more likely on cylinders #5 & #6. It is caused by a combination of reduced cooling at the back of the head and also uneven distribution of intake air and exhaust back pressure.

chrisbrixp
Naturally-aspirated

10-26-2016, 03:33 PM #6
youtube.com/watch?v=EhyVh_vh4qw

This video shows and engine running exactly like mine. It may also be the same cylinder. Number 2 stated in the discription. Engine was removed and never stated what the pproblem was. 
I read that cylinder 6 is most susceptible to this issue, and only on the n/a versions.
Do these engine have any known issues of lifters freezing solid like vw tdi 1.9 engines?
chrisbrixp
10-26-2016, 03:33 PM #6

youtube.com/watch?v=EhyVh_vh4qw

This video shows and engine running exactly like mine. It may also be the same cylinder. Number 2 stated in the discription. Engine was removed and never stated what the pproblem was. 
I read that cylinder 6 is most susceptible to this issue, and only on the n/a versions.
Do these engine have any known issues of lifters freezing solid like vw tdi 1.9 engines?

barrote
Superturbo

10-26-2016, 03:45 PM #7
The 4 valve IDI MB engines last for many km and many abuse, like its rather your car rust to the boné than the engine quit, but u may have a combination of many things , even a dead cylinder , u can start by check the lifters and injectors. if the simptom persists look at the pre cups, wich is something that happens , the ball inside the precup fails and the cylinder dies, in very worst cases the precup melts and the ball clogs the throat and the result is a dead cylinder. after that is compression test .... the IP may also have problems in the elemento being stuck on the barrel, something common on the engines used to run os Vegetable oil, and other diesel replacements....
have a check on that by bleeding out the lines, fuel should come out in idle, in bursts. same in all 6.
good luck

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
10-26-2016, 03:45 PM #7

The 4 valve IDI MB engines last for many km and many abuse, like its rather your car rust to the boné than the engine quit, but u may have a combination of many things , even a dead cylinder , u can start by check the lifters and injectors. if the simptom persists look at the pre cups, wich is something that happens , the ball inside the precup fails and the cylinder dies, in very worst cases the precup melts and the ball clogs the throat and the result is a dead cylinder. after that is compression test .... the IP may also have problems in the elemento being stuck on the barrel, something common on the engines used to run os Vegetable oil, and other diesel replacements....
have a check on that by bleeding out the lines, fuel should come out in idle, in bursts. same in all 6.
good luck

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

chrisbrixp
Naturally-aspirated

10-26-2016, 04:01 PM #8
It seems to make sense, but the only thing is the compression from intake valve. If the prechamber failed, will it cause a exhaust leak through the intake port?
How Do you remove The prechamber?
chrisbrixp
10-26-2016, 04:01 PM #8

It seems to make sense, but the only thing is the compression from intake valve. If the prechamber failed, will it cause a exhaust leak through the intake port?
How Do you remove The prechamber?

barrote
Superturbo

10-26-2016, 04:16 PM #9
u dont need to , u can see from the injector well, the ball is just below the injector nozzle.
if the ball is there , the pre cup is fine.
when the problema is the lifters the engine spits compression out throug the inlet well, with the intake runner out.
injectors may fail, but IDI is very uncommon to fail like that...

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
10-26-2016, 04:16 PM #9

u dont need to , u can see from the injector well, the ball is just below the injector nozzle.
if the ball is there , the pre cup is fine.
when the problema is the lifters the engine spits compression out throug the inlet well, with the intake runner out.
injectors may fail, but IDI is very uncommon to fail like that...

FD,