STD Tuning Engine KAAAA-BLOOOOOOEEEYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

KAAAA-BLOOOOOOEEEYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

KAAAA-BLOOOOOOEEEYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

10-31-2016, 10:29 PM #1
So fellers, long time no post (I apologize, been busy with school and work and a spell with unemployment). So I was driving the trusty old '74 240D on Saturday and thought I was catching an occasional whiff of burning oil smell, just chalked it up to the car being cold and not having everything all swelled up from the heat and what not. Anyway, same thing this morning, piqued my curiosity a little at this point but I was running a lathe all day and didn't have time to think about it much. Soo, this afternoon on my way to class, I notice the car is running a little rough and smoking quite a bit, sonI pull over, open the hood, and "A-Ha!" I notice a bit of oil in the line from the vacuum booster to the intake manifold, so I checked the oil and topped it off and figured I'd probably be able to make it through the rest of the day and then drive another vehicle until I get a new diaphragm and fix the problem.

Well I wasn't so lucky!

Driving home from school (i should have just skipped class but I had a test and couldn't) she starts running a little more rough, and smoking a little bit more, and running a little more rough, and smoking a little bit more. At this point I'm starting to get a little more concerned. Well, I made it to my street, and that's  about when all hell broke loose. I guess the vacuum pump decided it was tired of pumping vacuum and thougt it might enjoy a new career pumping oil a little better. Needless to say that career was short lived. So I round the corner onto the final stretch, and she starts chooching out some smoke, and when I say some smoke I mean some smoke! I've seen some big coal burners that didn't smoke like this! So about the time this go-go-gadget smokescreen starts up, she starts revving a little, and then she starts revving a little more, and more smoke, and more revving, and more smoke. That is, until she started to buck like a bronco. My guess is as she was runnin' away she was pumping more oil into the intake than she could burn, because she started to sound like a bunch of gravel got sucked into the engine and was knocking around in the cylinders, so I punched the shutoff knob and dropped her into 4th going about 15mph and lugged it to a stop. Needless to say I think the engine is toast.

So my plan now, out of necessity and convenience, are to finally pull the om601 and 5-speed out of the w201 sitting out back and drop them in the w115. That being said, anybody foresee any issues with this swap? Seeing as it will be a 4-cylinder going in I'm hoping there won't be any clearance issues with the oil filter and heater valves.

Thanks guys

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
In the works: A/W IC, adjust pump, turbo rebuild (w/60 trim comp wheel)
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )
-1974 240D, FRESH PAINT!!!!!!
sassparilla_kid
10-31-2016, 10:29 PM #1

So fellers, long time no post (I apologize, been busy with school and work and a spell with unemployment). So I was driving the trusty old '74 240D on Saturday and thought I was catching an occasional whiff of burning oil smell, just chalked it up to the car being cold and not having everything all swelled up from the heat and what not. Anyway, same thing this morning, piqued my curiosity a little at this point but I was running a lathe all day and didn't have time to think about it much. Soo, this afternoon on my way to class, I notice the car is running a little rough and smoking quite a bit, sonI pull over, open the hood, and "A-Ha!" I notice a bit of oil in the line from the vacuum booster to the intake manifold, so I checked the oil and topped it off and figured I'd probably be able to make it through the rest of the day and then drive another vehicle until I get a new diaphragm and fix the problem.

Well I wasn't so lucky!

Driving home from school (i should have just skipped class but I had a test and couldn't) she starts running a little more rough, and smoking a little bit more, and running a little more rough, and smoking a little bit more. At this point I'm starting to get a little more concerned. Well, I made it to my street, and that's  about when all hell broke loose. I guess the vacuum pump decided it was tired of pumping vacuum and thougt it might enjoy a new career pumping oil a little better. Needless to say that career was short lived. So I round the corner onto the final stretch, and she starts chooching out some smoke, and when I say some smoke I mean some smoke! I've seen some big coal burners that didn't smoke like this! So about the time this go-go-gadget smokescreen starts up, she starts revving a little, and then she starts revving a little more, and more smoke, and more revving, and more smoke. That is, until she started to buck like a bronco. My guess is as she was runnin' away she was pumping more oil into the intake than she could burn, because she started to sound like a bunch of gravel got sucked into the engine and was knocking around in the cylinders, so I punched the shutoff knob and dropped her into 4th going about 15mph and lugged it to a stop. Needless to say I think the engine is toast.

So my plan now, out of necessity and convenience, are to finally pull the om601 and 5-speed out of the w201 sitting out back and drop them in the w115. That being said, anybody foresee any issues with this swap? Seeing as it will be a 4-cylinder going in I'm hoping there won't be any clearance issues with the oil filter and heater valves.

Thanks guys

-1982 300D Turbo, 280k miles, ALDA apparently maxxed, fram 8038, 12 lbs boost, non-egr manifolds, W/M injection, 4 brake light mod, Gen II w126 front rotors/calipers, 4-speed swap
-1980 300SD, 110k, project car. Goal is to get it lookin' like it did on the showroom floor (body and interior wise, not necessarily under the hood )

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

11-01-2016, 02:52 AM #2
Shit man, didn't think that could happen.
This post was last modified: 11-01-2016, 02:53 AM by Hario'.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
11-01-2016, 02:52 AM #2

Shit man, didn't think that could happen.

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

TurboTim
Holset

11-01-2016, 06:13 AM #3
Are the older cars are different? How does the vacuum pump put oil in the intake. On the ones I own it would just put air in the crank case. It's probably not dead though unless it super over revel.

87 300SDL OM606 swapped HE351VE 722.633 swapped, Crower cams, KM valvesprings
76 300TD custom lots of stuff
06 Mercedes CL65 AMG 619 WHP, http://TurboTims.com
TurboTim
11-01-2016, 06:13 AM #3

Are the older cars are different? How does the vacuum pump put oil in the intake. On the ones I own it would just put air in the crank case. It's probably not dead though unless it super over revel.

87 300SDL OM606 swapped HE351VE 722.633 swapped, Crower cams, KM valvesprings
76 300TD custom lots of stuff
06 Mercedes CL65 AMG 619 WHP, http://TurboTims.com

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

11-01-2016, 09:10 AM #4
The older models have a line that goes from the vacuum pump to the intake manifold and there's a butterfly valve in the intake so the engine will help make a tiny bit more vacuum in the system at idle. Not the best design haha

sassparilla_kid
11-01-2016, 09:10 AM #4

The older models have a line that goes from the vacuum pump to the intake manifold and there's a butterfly valve in the intake so the engine will help make a tiny bit more vacuum in the system at idle. Not the best design haha

sassparilla_kid
diesel > all other fuels

11-01-2016, 11:17 PM #5
(11-01-2016, 07:35 AM)hooblah Lol so wait until it's fucked and then shut it off ?

Haha well this has happened before but I was able to drive around for quite a while before it started to get really bad, which is why I thought I'd at least be able to make it home. Before it failed completely

sassparilla_kid
11-01-2016, 11:17 PM #5

(11-01-2016, 07:35 AM)hooblah Lol so wait until it's fucked and then shut it off ?

Haha well this has happened before but I was able to drive around for quite a while before it started to get really bad, which is why I thought I'd at least be able to make it home. Before it failed completely

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average