STD Tuning Engine Pre Chamber failure - OM606

Pre Chamber failure - OM606

Pre Chamber failure - OM606

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

hummermaniac88
GTA2056V

01-28-2017, 10:18 AM #1
Well guys, bad news. The prechamber broke clean off and lodged around in cylinder number 4. I have the head rebuilt prior putting it on the engine.

I Have a new engine coming in. I'm wondering what could cause this? High EGT? Faulty pre chamber? Bad timing?

I'm trying to prevent this to hapenning to engine number 2.

[Image: 16325643_10158178133960437_1487408550_o_zps7nziiovs.jpg]
[Image: 16357754_10158178134210437_1662347986_o_zpsb03orsyg.jpg]

The car's setup is the following:

OM606
220cc 8MM superpump
HX40W
hummermaniac88
01-28-2017, 10:18 AM #1

Well guys, bad news. The prechamber broke clean off and lodged around in cylinder number 4. I have the head rebuilt prior putting it on the engine.

I Have a new engine coming in. I'm wondering what could cause this? High EGT? Faulty pre chamber? Bad timing?

I'm trying to prevent this to hapenning to engine number 2.

[Image: 16325643_10158178133960437_1487408550_o_zps7nziiovs.jpg]
[Image: 16357754_10158178134210437_1662347986_o_zpsb03orsyg.jpg]

The car's setup is the following:

OM606
220cc 8MM superpump
HX40W

barrote
Superturbo

01-28-2017, 12:05 PM #2
Well, something else happened there, u are showing 2 damaged cylinders (head faces)!!! and only one has the pre cup riped off.
are u sure the engine didn´t ingested anything ?
It seems weird .... all faults i have seen in those cups are the ball broken, broken loose, completely dissapear, clogged cup neck , but never cracks along the cup or in the tip which is heat treated and very hard to destroy.

Anyway be aware that when the head is faced, and one cuts too much like a 1mm the precups have to be shimmed(pre cup protrusion) measured, and the gasket with the correct repair thickness (piston protrusion measured in case the deck was faced), this to avoid piston contact. (the pre cups are not same size they may differ by some tenth´s
Despite your pistons don´t show evidence of contact, it does not mean they didn´t.
At high speeds and high temperatures many things happen, and i bet the engine kept going litle limp but going....
Good luck

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-28-2017, 12:05 PM #2

Well, something else happened there, u are showing 2 damaged cylinders (head faces)!!! and only one has the pre cup riped off.
It seems weird .... all faults i have seen in those cups are the ball broken, broken loose, completely dissapear, clogged cup neck , but never cracks along the cup or in the tip which is heat treated and very hard to destroy.

Anyway be aware that when the head is faced, and one cuts too much like a 1mm the precups have to be shimmed(pre cup protrusion) measured, and the gasket with the correct repair thickness (piston protrusion measured in case the deck was faced), this to avoid piston contact. (the pre cups are not same size they may differ by some tenth´s
Despite your pistons don´t show evidence of contact, it does not mean they didn´t.
At high speeds and high temperatures many things happen, and i bet the engine kept going litle limp but going....
Good luck

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

hummermaniac88
GTA2056V

01-29-2017, 10:39 AM #3
Thanks Barrote! Might be caused by that, it was they're first OM606 head rebuilt. I might just leave my replacement engine unopened to hopefully save some trouble.
hummermaniac88
01-29-2017, 10:39 AM #3

Thanks Barrote! Might be caused by that, it was they're first OM606 head rebuilt. I might just leave my replacement engine unopened to hopefully save some trouble.

baldur
Fast

01-29-2017, 11:31 AM #4
(01-28-2017, 12:05 PM)barrote Well, something else happened there, u are showing 2 damaged cylinders (head faces)!!! and only one has the pre cup riped off.

Good luck

It's quite common with engine damage for the damaged cylinder to eject shrapnel into the inlet manifold where it gets ingested by adjacent cylinders.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
01-29-2017, 11:31 AM #4

(01-28-2017, 12:05 PM)barrote Well, something else happened there, u are showing 2 damaged cylinders (head faces)!!! and only one has the pre cup riped off.

Good luck

It's quite common with engine damage for the damaged cylinder to eject shrapnel into the inlet manifold where it gets ingested by adjacent cylinders.

Baldur Gislason

barrote
Superturbo

01-29-2017, 12:05 PM #5
Its hard to belive that can happen in this engine type.
spit a bit of metal through valves across the manifolt and land in adjacent cylinder? well many weird things happen...
like this pre cup being cracked open in the tip.
Got some questions for u may send u a PM?

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-29-2017, 12:05 PM #5

Its hard to belive that can happen in this engine type.
spit a bit of metal through valves across the manifolt and land in adjacent cylinder? well many weird things happen...
like this pre cup being cracked open in the tip.
Got some questions for u may send u a PM?

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

baldur
Fast

01-29-2017, 12:16 PM #6
I've witnessed some petrol powered engines blow pistons apart and there I found bits and pieces of the vaporised piston and rings in all of the remaining cylinders. Of course the vacuum assists there but I can see the same thing happening on a diesel once some of the broken pieces get wedged in an inlet valve preventing it from sealing, the compression pressure will blow other pieces at full speed up the inlet runner.
PMs are welcome and so is e-mail.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
01-29-2017, 12:16 PM #6

I've witnessed some petrol powered engines blow pistons apart and there I found bits and pieces of the vaporised piston and rings in all of the remaining cylinders. Of course the vacuum assists there but I can see the same thing happening on a diesel once some of the broken pieces get wedged in an inlet valve preventing it from sealing, the compression pressure will blow other pieces at full speed up the inlet runner.
PMs are welcome and so is e-mail.

Baldur Gislason

Hercules
GT2559V

01-29-2017, 06:12 PM #7
Many prechamber failures are due to fuel injector not spraying properly ( peeing ) causing over heating of tip. Possible also
  a nozzle that hangs open or delayed closed.  Might only happen after engine warm. Take apart injector look for signs of bluing ( over heating )
on pintel .
Hercules
01-29-2017, 06:12 PM #7

Many prechamber failures are due to fuel injector not spraying properly ( peeing ) causing over heating of tip. Possible also
  a nozzle that hangs open or delayed closed.  Might only happen after engine warm. Take apart injector look for signs of bluing ( over heating )
on pintel .

hummermaniac88
GTA2056V

01-30-2017, 07:33 AM #8
I just got my injectors tested. They're fine apart from cylinder 1 (Piston rings went because of high egt caused by the leaking)
hummermaniac88
01-30-2017, 07:33 AM #8

I just got my injectors tested. They're fine apart from cylinder 1 (Piston rings went because of high egt caused by the leaking)

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

01-30-2017, 05:37 PM #9
Damn I hope mine doesn't look like that when I open it up! How are the bored and valves?

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
01-30-2017, 05:37 PM #9

Damn I hope mine doesn't look like that when I open it up! How are the bored and valves?

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

Hercules
GT2559V

01-30-2017, 09:37 PM #10
Little logic,bit of science,those prechambers are tough,if the end just broke off should have done major damage,  ( punched holes or cracked piston,
bent rod, beat out rod bearing,beat up head,)Did not.   What did happen was the end of prechamber broke off and shattered,like a piece of glass!
Look at all the pieces. What causes metal to do that?  The metal has become crystallized.  How does that happen,heat the metal hot and cool to
quickly.     Leakey injector (drips into prechamber after shut down )  causes tip to be cooled to fast.  Did not happen over night,many repeated cycles
but it will get there given enough time,damage started many miles ago.      Mbz says  it will happen if drippy injector not repaired.

Metal in other cylinders can come back through the exhaust valves. Proven fact.
Hercules
01-30-2017, 09:37 PM #10

Little logic,bit of science,those prechambers are tough,if the end just broke off should have done major damage,  ( punched holes or cracked piston,
bent rod, beat out rod bearing,beat up head,)Did not.   What did happen was the end of prechamber broke off and shattered,like a piece of glass!
Look at all the pieces. What causes metal to do that?  The metal has become crystallized.  How does that happen,heat the metal hot and cool to
quickly.     Leakey injector (drips into prechamber after shut down )  causes tip to be cooled to fast.  Did not happen over night,many repeated cycles
but it will get there given enough time,damage started many miles ago.      Mbz says  it will happen if drippy injector not repaired.

Metal in other cylinders can come back through the exhaust valves. Proven fact.

Gelubelea
Naturally-aspirated

01-30-2017, 11:15 PM #11
Happened to me once when I have lost the coolant ( small plastic drain knob not tight in place ) and overheated the 606.962 motor , 25 minutes with 120km/h on highway (three prechambers damaged ). Filled with coolant , easy starting but many misfires Weird , but still good the head gasket after that experiment ....
Gelubelea
01-30-2017, 11:15 PM #11

Happened to me once when I have lost the coolant ( small plastic drain knob not tight in place ) and overheated the 606.962 motor , 25 minutes with 120km/h on highway (three prechambers damaged ). Filled with coolant , easy starting but many misfires Weird , but still good the head gasket after that experiment ....

hummermaniac88
GTA2056V

01-30-2017, 11:17 PM #12
False, the injector on cylinder #4 didn't leak and had a good spray pattern. Most likely from the extreme -35 cold we've had and the high EGTs.
hummermaniac88
01-30-2017, 11:17 PM #12

False, the injector on cylinder #4 didn't leak and had a good spray pattern. Most likely from the extreme -35 cold we've had and the high EGTs.

Hercules
GT2559V

01-31-2017, 12:50 AM #13
Question: If the cold temps.and high exh.temps are the answer why is #4cyl.prechamber the only one damaged.
Question: Have you owned this engine from new,and know all repairs ever done?  Is it possible some one else installed
injectors because of and earlier problem?      Just asking questions,I do not know all the answers!
i
Hercules
01-31-2017, 12:50 AM #13

Question: If the cold temps.and high exh.temps are the answer why is #4cyl.prechamber the only one damaged.
Question: Have you owned this engine from new,and know all repairs ever done?  Is it possible some one else installed
injectors because of and earlier problem?      Just asking questions,I do not know all the answers!
i

addi.bigg
OM605; 7,5mm elements

01-31-2017, 02:54 AM #14
(01-30-2017, 11:17 PM)hummermaniac88 False, the injector on cylinder #4 didn't leak and had a good spray pattern. Most likely from the extreme -35 cold we've had and the high EGTs.

I don't think that it can be because of the cold weather. The whole block has to get cold and as it is quite a huge one it can't get suddenly cold after shutting down.
addi.bigg
01-31-2017, 02:54 AM #14

(01-30-2017, 11:17 PM)hummermaniac88 False, the injector on cylinder #4 didn't leak and had a good spray pattern. Most likely from the extreme -35 cold we've had and the high EGTs.

I don't think that it can be because of the cold weather. The whole block has to get cold and as it is quite a huge one it can't get suddenly cold after shutting down.

barrote
Superturbo

01-31-2017, 05:21 AM #15
after all who have seen pre cups damaged?
I did seen many but not like that. That tip broken off by the holes plane is the first .
Causes!!! Sure it wasn't cold weather. Neither Egt's ...
How is the ball ? How is the rest of the cup like?

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
01-31-2017, 05:21 AM #15

after all who have seen pre cups damaged?
I did seen many but not like that. That tip broken off by the holes plane is the first .
Causes!!! Sure it wasn't cold weather. Neither Egt's ...
How is the ball ? How is the rest of the cup like?

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

Hercules
GT2559V

01-31-2017, 11:08 PM #16
I worked for Mercedes Benz of North America for 25 years,mercedes says Note; Crystallization of prechamber tip is caused by dripping injector
  after engine shut down.   Seen the pictures my self.    Start of damage to prechamber did not happen with present injector! That was
  spraying ok.  Damage started many miles ago,possible several injectors ago.   

Note; injector can spray properly and still drip.   Was the injector even tested for drip?  
                                                                        Best hopes in finding your answer to why.
Hercules
01-31-2017, 11:08 PM #16

I worked for Mercedes Benz of North America for 25 years,mercedes says Note; Crystallization of prechamber tip is caused by dripping injector
  after engine shut down.   Seen the pictures my self.    Start of damage to prechamber did not happen with present injector! That was

Note; injector can spray properly and still drip.   Was the injector even tested for drip?  

hummermaniac88
GTA2056V

02-01-2017, 05:42 PM #17
(01-31-2017, 11:08 PM)Hercules I worked for Mercedes Benz of North America for 25 years,mercedes says Note; Crystallization of prechamber tip is caused by dripping injector

That's a wealth of information. It does make sense. I presented your points to my diesel injector shop, they tested them again under heat, they are dripping. 

I should change the prechambers on my replacement engine and put my rebuilt injectors in.
hummermaniac88
02-01-2017, 05:42 PM #17

(01-31-2017, 11:08 PM)Hercules I worked for Mercedes Benz of North America for 25 years,mercedes says Note; Crystallization of prechamber tip is caused by dripping injector

That's a wealth of information. It does make sense. I presented your points to my diesel injector shop, they tested them again under heat, they are dripping. 

I should change the prechambers on my replacement engine and put my rebuilt injectors in.

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

02-01-2017, 07:07 PM #18
So they just drip a bit until the hard line pressure bleeds down, only a few drips surely?

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
02-01-2017, 07:07 PM #18

So they just drip a bit until the hard line pressure bleeds down, only a few drips surely?

Installed:

Planned:
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

Hercules
GT2559V

02-01-2017, 11:12 PM #19
(02-01-2017, 05:42 PM)hummermaniac88

Great! you have the answer.     Best method of repair if possible is test under normal working conditions (all things).
Hercules
02-01-2017, 11:12 PM #19

(02-01-2017, 05:42 PM)hummermaniac88

Great! you have the answer.     Best method of repair if possible is test under normal working conditions (all things).

Hercules
GT2559V

02-01-2017, 11:23 PM #20
(02-01-2017, 07:07 PM)Hario So they just drip a bit until the hard line pressure bleeds down, only a few drips surely?

Each injector will vary,at what pressure does the injector stop dripping?? so what is the volume dripped??
 Not more than is in the line to  (o) pressure for sure.
Hercules
02-01-2017, 11:23 PM #20

(02-01-2017, 07:07 PM)Hario So they just drip a bit until the hard line pressure bleeds down, only a few drips surely?

Each injector will vary,at what pressure does the injector stop dripping?? so what is the volume dripped??
 Not more than is in the line to  (o) pressure for sure.

Hercules
GT2559V

02-01-2017, 11:34 PM #21
To help is all stay out of trouble in this area.
                                                          What were the symptoms before the disaster.
                                              Here are the only things that come to mind.
                                               1- small bit harder to start.  possible
                                               2- slight miss 1-2 sec. until line refills and pressure is restored.

Any others??
Hercules
02-01-2017, 11:34 PM #21

To help is all stay out of trouble in this area.

Any others??

hummermaniac88
GTA2056V

02-02-2017, 07:30 AM #22
(02-01-2017, 11:34 PM)Hercules To help is all stay out of trouble in this area.

Any others??

- Hard to start in the morning (Especially after a cold -40C night)
- When cranking it sounded like rumbling of metal (Probably pre chamber already shattered at that point)
- Louder and louder injectors (Clacking noise, Clack, clack , clack!)
- Power slowing declining (Power loss)
- Rough idle
- Turbo having trouble making boost (Started at 1.5 bar then never made .7 bar again)
- If you change gears from R to D (vice versa) the car would stall
hummermaniac88
02-02-2017, 07:30 AM #22

(02-01-2017, 11:34 PM)Hercules To help is all stay out of trouble in this area.

Any others??

- Hard to start in the morning (Especially after a cold -40C night)
- When cranking it sounded like rumbling of metal (Probably pre chamber already shattered at that point)
- Louder and louder injectors (Clacking noise, Clack, clack , clack!)
- Power slowing declining (Power loss)
- Rough idle
- Turbo having trouble making boost (Started at 1.5 bar then never made .7 bar again)
- If you change gears from R to D (vice versa) the car would stall

barrote
Superturbo

02-02-2017, 10:09 AM #23
these engines , last and last and last , i bet u put it a new chamber and it continued untill yellow smoke coming out the exaust...
how´s the turbine, sure it was hit by some debris and may be damaged , a way damaged... i had that just by ingestion of sand...

FD,