STD Tuning Engine Why won't my 606 run?

Why won't my 606 run?

Why won't my 606 run?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

hooblah
Holset

04-30-2017, 12:38 PM #1
Im hoping someone can help me here. 

Bought a e300td and the next day it refused to start. I've eliminated all the vac leaks and I'm running an electric fuel pump feeding from a cubie straight into the shutoff valve at 10psi+. 
I've changed the fuel filter and the two fuel lines in and out of the filter housing. 
I've changed the shutoff valve and o ring. 
I've checked the rack is moving when ignition is switched on and off. 
There's fuel at the injectors. 

After all this I've finally got it to run. But it only runs for a second or two and then dies. Any ideas?

Btw I have removed the inlet manifold and disconnected a couple of vac pipes and egr that were running to it if that makes any difference?
This post was last modified: 04-30-2017, 01:13 PM by hooblah.
hooblah
04-30-2017, 12:38 PM #1

Im hoping someone can help me here. 

Bought a e300td and the next day it refused to start. I've eliminated all the vac leaks and I'm running an electric fuel pump feeding from a cubie straight into the shutoff valve at 10psi+. 
I've changed the fuel filter and the two fuel lines in and out of the filter housing. 
I've changed the shutoff valve and o ring. 
I've checked the rack is moving when ignition is switched on and off. 
There's fuel at the injectors. 

After all this I've finally got it to run. But it only runs for a second or two and then dies. Any ideas?

Btw I have removed the inlet manifold and disconnected a couple of vac pipes and egr that were running to it if that makes any difference?

AlanMcR
mind - blown

04-30-2017, 10:02 PM #2
All of that sure sounds like the shutoff valve itself. You say you changed it. New valve? Known good valve?

How did you plumb directly into the shutoff valve? The way I imagine this would bypass the filters.

The valve itself is a bit strange inside. When "shut off" (no power to solenoid) it routes fuel back to the suction side of the lift pump. When "on" (power to solenoid) that port is closed and pressure is routed to the IP directly. A weak battery, a bad solenoid or weak K40 relay could fail to close off the return port completely.

Frankly, I plan on getting rid of the valve completely.
AlanMcR
04-30-2017, 10:02 PM #2

All of that sure sounds like the shutoff valve itself. You say you changed it. New valve? Known good valve?

How did you plumb directly into the shutoff valve? The way I imagine this would bypass the filters.

The valve itself is a bit strange inside. When "shut off" (no power to solenoid) it routes fuel back to the suction side of the lift pump. When "on" (power to solenoid) that port is closed and pressure is routed to the IP directly. A weak battery, a bad solenoid or weak K40 relay could fail to close off the return port completely.

Frankly, I plan on getting rid of the valve completely.

hooblah
Holset

05-01-2017, 09:51 AM #3
Well it runs for a couple of secs and then dies as if it's not getting fuel. If the SOV wasn't working it wouldn't run at all. I have replaced it for a known working one.

The fuel heater and prefilter have been bypassed. It now feeds into the SOV and then to the lift pump and filter.

If the k40 was faulty then the SOV wouldn't work at all, right? But out of interest, where is the k40 located?
hooblah
05-01-2017, 09:51 AM #3

Well it runs for a couple of secs and then dies as if it's not getting fuel. If the SOV wasn't working it wouldn't run at all. I have replaced it for a known working one.

The fuel heater and prefilter have been bypassed. It now feeds into the SOV and then to the lift pump and filter.

If the k40 was faulty then the SOV wouldn't work at all, right? But out of interest, where is the k40 located?

Phil O' Dendron
Naturally-aspirated

05-01-2017, 12:52 PM #4
Quote: It now feeds into the SOV and then to the lift pump and filter.

Are you sure this is the right order?

When replacing the o-rings on the plastic lines I got the lines installed wrong (to the lift pump) , with the result that it fired up on some cylinders sometimes, but would not run.

Some other board member wrote that it happend to him / his car, too.
Can't remember who it was.

Check the pic of the original setup, hope that helps, good luck!

https://data.motor-talk.de/data/gallerie...465462.gif

05-01-2017, 12:52 PM #4

Quote: It now feeds into the SOV and then to the lift pump and filter.

Are you sure this is the right order?

When replacing the o-rings on the plastic lines I got the lines installed wrong (to the lift pump) , with the result that it fired up on some cylinders sometimes, but would not run.

Some other board member wrote that it happend to him / his car, too.
Can't remember who it was.

Check the pic of the original setup, hope that helps, good luck!

https://data.motor-talk.de/data/gallerie...465462.gif

hooblah
Holset

05-01-2017, 03:47 PM #5
Pretty sure that's right, as is clear from your pic. 

Preheater > prefilter > sov > lift pump > filter > sov > ip

Ive just eliminated the preheater and prefilter.
This post was last modified: 05-01-2017, 03:52 PM by hooblah.
hooblah
05-01-2017, 03:47 PM #5

Pretty sure that's right, as is clear from your pic. 

Preheater > prefilter > sov > lift pump > filter > sov > ip

Ive just eliminated the preheater and prefilter.

Hario'
C300TD Wagon (W202)

05-02-2017, 08:51 AM #6
Fire your mechanic

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]
Hario'
05-02-2017, 08:51 AM #6

Fire your mechanic

Installed:

OM606/722.6, big IC, W220 brakes.
Planned:
DIY manifold, compound, 722.6 controller, built IP.
[i]Less rust.. 
[/i]

hooblah
Holset

05-13-2017, 08:12 AM #7
Ok issue solved. The fuel return banjo bolt was fucked. There was no ball and spring inside so it wasn't holding pressure. Add to that the shitty fuel system design and it just compounded the problem.
I've since done away with the shutoff valve and filter, and plumbed in an electric fuel pump with an adjustable pressure regulator. All working good now. Many thanks to those that helped Smile
hooblah
05-13-2017, 08:12 AM #7

Ok issue solved. The fuel return banjo bolt was fucked. There was no ball and spring inside so it wasn't holding pressure. Add to that the shitty fuel system design and it just compounded the problem.
I've since done away with the shutoff valve and filter, and plumbed in an electric fuel pump with an adjustable pressure regulator. All working good now. Many thanks to those that helped Smile

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average