STD Tuning Engine My first 606, where to start?

My first 606, where to start?

My first 606, where to start?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

LastPhoenix
Naturally-aspirated

05-08-2017, 03:33 PM #1
Hello guys!

Although a year later and quite differently than I first thought (originally I wanted to get a w123),  I acquired an om 606 attached to a quite nice w140 (I can post some pictures if anyone is interested)

For the first time in my life I bought a car just for me (well, in my adult life at least), but definitely a first time when I plan to make some more serious modifications to the car, other than stage 1 ECU remaps.

There is a lot of information on these forums, but for a newcomer it is a bit overwhelming and I was hoping I could get more detailed, maybe even step by step information on what to do next.

Unfortunately I don't have the budget to do all at once so I had to split this project in 3 bigger steps:

1. My first goal is to update the engine to hit sub 300 BHP (I understand that the stock pump can manage this much power?) Would a turbo upgrade be enough for this first stage?  It seems that the turbo may be on the way out anyway.
2. I plan to address paintwork and interior.
3. And finally I would like to work on the magic 500 BHP number. I have been looking at this kit, but I wanted to clarify is this a good kit and is it a good value? Is it realistic to see 29mpg with a set up like this? (In normal cruising mode of course, I don't live in fairy tale land) What else besides parts in this kit would be needed (except the obvious, like brake upgrades and pump upgrade).

Also, not to clutter the forum I wanted to ask few additional questions:
1. What should I definitely check out on my next trip to service?
2. I know that the previous owner had some power delivery problems with the car and that he had done some remap work after which he didn't feel any difference (power vise) at all.  My mechanic (thanks to whom I actually bought this car) did some adjustments to the pump after which the car did run better, its a long story this Big Grin. To make a long story short it does seem that the car is slow, compared even to passat b6 with stage 1 ECU remap, but I didn't expect it to be fast, I know that the official 0-60 for w140 is around 11.6 seconds. That being said I would like to better understand this motor and what to check in order for it to run like it should. It could be that at the moment everything is ok, unfortunately I don't have another w140 3.0 turbo diesel to compare mine to.
LastPhoenix
05-08-2017, 03:33 PM #1

Hello guys!

Although a year later and quite differently than I first thought (originally I wanted to get a w123),  I acquired an om 606 attached to a quite nice w140 (I can post some pictures if anyone is interested)

For the first time in my life I bought a car just for me (well, in my adult life at least), but definitely a first time when I plan to make some more serious modifications to the car, other than stage 1 ECU remaps.

There is a lot of information on these forums, but for a newcomer it is a bit overwhelming and I was hoping I could get more detailed, maybe even step by step information on what to do next.

Unfortunately I don't have the budget to do all at once so I had to split this project in 3 bigger steps:

1. My first goal is to update the engine to hit sub 300 BHP (I understand that the stock pump can manage this much power?) Would a turbo upgrade be enough for this first stage?  It seems that the turbo may be on the way out anyway.
2. I plan to address paintwork and interior.
3. And finally I would like to work on the magic 500 BHP number. I have been looking at this kit, but I wanted to clarify is this a good kit and is it a good value? Is it realistic to see 29mpg with a set up like this? (In normal cruising mode of course, I don't live in fairy tale land) What else besides parts in this kit would be needed (except the obvious, like brake upgrades and pump upgrade).

Also, not to clutter the forum I wanted to ask few additional questions:
1. What should I definitely check out on my next trip to service?
2. I know that the previous owner had some power delivery problems with the car and that he had done some remap work after which he didn't feel any difference (power vise) at all.  My mechanic (thanks to whom I actually bought this car) did some adjustments to the pump after which the car did run better, its a long story this Big Grin. To make a long story short it does seem that the car is slow, compared even to passat b6 with stage 1 ECU remap, but I didn't expect it to be fast, I know that the official 0-60 for w140 is around 11.6 seconds. That being said I would like to better understand this motor and what to check in order for it to run like it should. It could be that at the moment everything is ok, unfortunately I don't have another w140 3.0 turbo diesel to compare mine to.

awsrock
300SDL / HX30 / 90cc

05-08-2017, 05:43 PM #2
Well, you are in kind of a predicament there because a turbo for 300 and less hp and one for 500 are not going to be the same. Some say the stock pump is capable of 300hp in theory, but I have not seen any actual numbers from people on that one, so I'd say at the least you can expect 250-260. I did see a 605 on here that had a 93cc and made 255 hp, which is about what the 606 pump makes when turned up so you can at least look forward to that. It is also said that the stock turbo can flow enough air for 220 hp but the turbine housing is very small, so you would be making a lot of backpressure.
I don't know anything in regards to having over 250 or so hp at the moment, so my knoweledge basically ends there. I am running a turbo that is probably capable of 350 hp with only around 230-250 actual hp and I can say that I would not recommend getting anything bigger than that if you are just going to stay in "stage 1" for a while, especially with that heavy car (I have a w126 so we are kind of in the same boat) (compressor is 54mm btw)
Those kits are good but in my opinion pretty overpriced. It really depends on how much convenience you want and what kind of fabrication skills you have. You can get an s200 turbo new for around $550 US, plus flange and wastegate and adapter for another $200?
I saw your other post and if I were given the choice, I would get the turbobandit manifold and an s200 turbo, that way you already have the t4 flange on the manifold and the wastegate tube attached which saves some headache. Just make sure that manifold will fit a w140 if you do decide to go that route, nothing worse than spending big $$ and finding out something does not fit. They probably make it to spec but the website makes it seem they are just sitting there in stock ready to go.
You'll also need to make an exhaust at some point. Maybe not for your first set up but beyond that you will.
awsrock
05-08-2017, 05:43 PM #2

Well, you are in kind of a predicament there because a turbo for 300 and less hp and one for 500 are not going to be the same. Some say the stock pump is capable of 300hp in theory, but I have not seen any actual numbers from people on that one, so I'd say at the least you can expect 250-260. I did see a 605 on here that had a 93cc and made 255 hp, which is about what the 606 pump makes when turned up so you can at least look forward to that. It is also said that the stock turbo can flow enough air for 220 hp but the turbine housing is very small, so you would be making a lot of backpressure.
I don't know anything in regards to having over 250 or so hp at the moment, so my knoweledge basically ends there. I am running a turbo that is probably capable of 350 hp with only around 230-250 actual hp and I can say that I would not recommend getting anything bigger than that if you are just going to stay in "stage 1" for a while, especially with that heavy car (I have a w126 so we are kind of in the same boat) (compressor is 54mm btw)
Those kits are good but in my opinion pretty overpriced. It really depends on how much convenience you want and what kind of fabrication skills you have. You can get an s200 turbo new for around $550 US, plus flange and wastegate and adapter for another $200?
I saw your other post and if I were given the choice, I would get the turbobandit manifold and an s200 turbo, that way you already have the t4 flange on the manifold and the wastegate tube attached which saves some headache. Just make sure that manifold will fit a w140 if you do decide to go that route, nothing worse than spending big $$ and finding out something does not fit. They probably make it to spec but the website makes it seem they are just sitting there in stock ready to go.
You'll also need to make an exhaust at some point. Maybe not for your first set up but beyond that you will.

hooblah
Holset

05-08-2017, 06:16 PM #3
Dude if you're after a manifold pm mr robs on here. He's selling one which was made by ftune but did not fit his w124. It may fit your w140 though.
hooblah
05-08-2017, 06:16 PM #3

Dude if you're after a manifold pm mr robs on here. He's selling one which was made by ftune but did not fit his w124. It may fit your w140 though.

LastPhoenix
Naturally-aspirated

05-09-2017, 07:24 AM #4
(05-08-2017, 05:43 PM)awsrock Well, you are in kind of a predicament there because a turbo for 300 and less hp and one for 500 are not going to be the same. Some say the stock pump is capable of 300hp in theory, but I have not seen any actual numbers from people on that one, so I'd say at the least you can expect 250-260. I did see a 605 on here that had a 93cc and made 255 hp, which is about what the 606 pump makes when turned up so you can at least look forward to that. It is also said that the stock turbo can flow enough air for 220 hp but the turbine housing is very small, so you would be making a lot of backpressure.

Thanks for  the info, couple of things I wanted to clarify (sorry for the noob questions below):
  • Can't I just purchase the 500 hp turbo and "downtune' it till I get all the other parts later this year? (Next purchase would probably be the pump)
  • What did you mean by 93cc?
  • I don't plan to stay in stage 1 for too long I think till the end of this year I could be able to afford rest of the necessary parts. What did you mean by 54mm compressor?
  • Unfortunately I don't have any fabrication skills, I will have to pay for all of the installation work as well. Is it just s200 turbo? Or does it have a brand? Would this s200 turbo be good for 300hp or 500hp? Would you recommend buying turbo from ebay or should I better stick with turbo bandit or dieselpumpuk?
  • How about gearbox will the stock gearbox (5 speed auto) be able to handle all this power?
LastPhoenix
05-09-2017, 07:24 AM #4

(05-08-2017, 05:43 PM)awsrock Well, you are in kind of a predicament there because a turbo for 300 and less hp and one for 500 are not going to be the same. Some say the stock pump is capable of 300hp in theory, but I have not seen any actual numbers from people on that one, so I'd say at the least you can expect 250-260. I did see a 605 on here that had a 93cc and made 255 hp, which is about what the 606 pump makes when turned up so you can at least look forward to that. It is also said that the stock turbo can flow enough air for 220 hp but the turbine housing is very small, so you would be making a lot of backpressure.

Thanks for  the info, couple of things I wanted to clarify (sorry for the noob questions below):
  • Can't I just purchase the 500 hp turbo and "downtune' it till I get all the other parts later this year? (Next purchase would probably be the pump)
  • I don't plan to stay in stage 1 for too long I think till the end of this year I could be able to afford rest of the necessary parts. What did you mean by 54mm compressor?
  • Unfortunately I don't have any fabrication skills, I will have to pay for all of the installation work as well. Is it just s200 turbo? Or does it have a brand? Would this s200 turbo be good for 300hp or 500hp? Would you recommend buying turbo from ebay or should I better stick with turbo bandit or dieselpumpuk?
  • How about gearbox will the stock gearbox (5 speed auto) be able to handle all this power?

LastPhoenix
Naturally-aspirated

05-09-2017, 07:26 AM #5
(05-08-2017, 06:16 PM)hooblah Dude if you're after a manifold pm mr robs on here. He's selling one which was made by ftune but did not fit his w124. It may fit your w140 though.

I actually couldn't find a user with name mr robs on this board Sad
LastPhoenix
05-09-2017, 07:26 AM #5

(05-08-2017, 06:16 PM)hooblah Dude if you're after a manifold pm mr robs on here. He's selling one which was made by ftune but did not fit his w124. It may fit your w140 though.

I actually couldn't find a user with name mr robs on this board Sad

awsrock
300SDL / HX30 / 90cc

05-09-2017, 08:46 AM #7
  • Not really. You could get a turbo that would support 500hp but it would be pretty disappointing to drive until you had the pump upgraded to make the power.
  • That is the rating of the fuel pump. The stock 606 is set around 64cc. For 500hp you will need....I don't really know, 160cc or more
  •  That is the size of the compressor inducer, where the air goes in on the turbo
    https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga...wheel_trim
  • s200sx turbo is made by Borg Warner. If you go that route, ebay has plenty and as of now there are no chinese clones so they are all real turbos. But make sure it is sx or sx-e, there ARE clones of the industrial s200 models. You'll know because they are all like $300 or less and have no markings. 
    Turbobandit's turbos seems to be fair priced but most of them are pretty huge, although maybe for 500hp that is what you will need. DPUK is just selling stock s200sx models as far as I know. 
  •  Can't help you with that one, I have a 4 speed auto. I want to say for 500hp you may need some upgrades but it depends on what model of the 722.6 you have, overall they are very strong.
This post was last modified: 05-09-2017, 08:47 AM by awsrock.
awsrock
05-09-2017, 08:46 AM #7

• Not really. You could get a turbo that would support 500hp but it would be pretty disappointing to drive until you had the pump upgraded to make the power.
  • That is the rating of the fuel pump. The stock 606 is set around 64cc. For 500hp you will need....I don't really know, 160cc or more
  •  That is the size of the compressor inducer, where the air goes in on the turbo
    https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobyga...wheel_trim
  • s200sx turbo is made by Borg Warner. If you go that route, ebay has plenty and as of now there are no chinese clones so they are all real turbos. But make sure it is sx or sx-e, there ARE clones of the industrial s200 models. You'll know because they are all like $300 or less and have no markings. 
    Turbobandit's turbos seems to be fair priced but most of them are pretty huge, although maybe for 500hp that is what you will need. DPUK is just selling stock s200sx models as far as I know. 
  •  Can't help you with that one, I have a 4 speed auto. I want to say for 500hp you may need some upgrades but it depends on what model of the 722.6 you have, overall they are very strong.

barrote
Superturbo

05-09-2017, 10:00 AM #8
500hp hum, hum, hum
Start thinking of 400!!!
500 is pretty much off score if one is not deep into diesel tunning.
Despite u see videos with those numbers and people claim they have it... every dino is a dino and they show whatever costumer wants to see.
And a single turbo most probably won't reach there! But all is about where u want the power band.
And in first place, the Injection Pump is the first item to buy. A superpump can be dwn graded for stock power.
Sometimes i build pumps but my pumps with 170cc never reached more than 420hp. So i suggest u contact a builder that can promisse that.
Turbo is after and some other mod's . When u really want to pursue the 400 plus.
One thing is true, the stock turbo u can trash it right away it is too small for anything.
Sorry if i'm beeing to straightforward.... but reality is grey not in color.
Wish u good luck with your build.

FD,