STD Tuning Engine Superpump fuel filter

Superpump fuel filter

Superpump fuel filter

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

mike89011
Naturally-aspirated

06-11-2017, 11:28 PM #1
This thread is to solicit input and discuss the fuel filter needs and systems used for our superturbodiesel builds, in response to the scarcity of information about same!

It also is an open questioning of the "if it works, don't mess with it" modus operandi, as when using a stock filtering system on a superpump with very different requirements, and very different fuel pump parameters!

And lastly, it is to provide information on the fuel filter specs from different filter companies that I've obtained in determining my own filter components.

NOTE though that I am not claiming to have the answers on this topic, and am NOT saying that the way others are doing this is WRONG, and going to cause some sort of calamity with your engine. Just that there is more to it than saying all is good because the engine is getting enough fuel to blow black smoke!

So for an OM606 with OM603 superpump, depending on elements, etc, we are looking at flowing up to 240 liters per hour of fuel, and a pump such as the Bosch 044 pumping at 72.5 psi (5 bar). And yet it appears very common for people to be using the OM603 fuel filter and lines, which can't possibly have been designed for these specs! (Although I don't know if anyone has access to any engineering specs that DO give us official numbers on the pressure, flow, etc, this filter can handle?)

What exactly is happening when this fuel filter is used, however, I HAVE NO IDEA, and I'm guessing no one else does either! Are there reports of the filter blowing up from excess pressure? Not that I've heard, but has anybody done a dissection of an OM603 filter after it having been run on a superturbodiesel, to see if the filter is damaged internally from the high pressures? Or done any testing to see if the filter stops filtering to its initial specs after being subjected to these high pressures, or starts releasing minute pieces of filter into the line, or etc? Or determined what the pressure drop is from before the filter to after the filter, with a filter not designed to flow the 3 bar desired at the IP on full boost? Or determined if there is excessive obstruction at the filter that could cause premature fuel pump failure?

The reason of course that observing that the engine seems to run fine with the OM603 filter, and stating this to be evidence the filter is working appropriately, neglects that effects on power output and optimal running of the engine can be difficult to guage without some sort of comparison, and that long term effects and wear on the injection pump and injectors from inadequate filtering takes a long time to show!

I will say however without any hesitation that I am not a filter engineer, and have done NO testing myself with different fuel filters or on other aspects of the superturbodiesel fuel system, so would be interested in anyone's input who has information on this, as I'm sure others would also.
mike89011
06-11-2017, 11:28 PM #1

This thread is to solicit input and discuss the fuel filter needs and systems used for our superturbodiesel builds, in response to the scarcity of information about same!

It also is an open questioning of the "if it works, don't mess with it" modus operandi, as when using a stock filtering system on a superpump with very different requirements, and very different fuel pump parameters!

And lastly, it is to provide information on the fuel filter specs from different filter companies that I've obtained in determining my own filter components.

NOTE though that I am not claiming to have the answers on this topic, and am NOT saying that the way others are doing this is WRONG, and going to cause some sort of calamity with your engine. Just that there is more to it than saying all is good because the engine is getting enough fuel to blow black smoke!

So for an OM606 with OM603 superpump, depending on elements, etc, we are looking at flowing up to 240 liters per hour of fuel, and a pump such as the Bosch 044 pumping at 72.5 psi (5 bar). And yet it appears very common for people to be using the OM603 fuel filter and lines, which can't possibly have been designed for these specs! (Although I don't know if anyone has access to any engineering specs that DO give us official numbers on the pressure, flow, etc, this filter can handle?)

What exactly is happening when this fuel filter is used, however, I HAVE NO IDEA, and I'm guessing no one else does either! Are there reports of the filter blowing up from excess pressure? Not that I've heard, but has anybody done a dissection of an OM603 filter after it having been run on a superturbodiesel, to see if the filter is damaged internally from the high pressures? Or done any testing to see if the filter stops filtering to its initial specs after being subjected to these high pressures, or starts releasing minute pieces of filter into the line, or etc? Or determined what the pressure drop is from before the filter to after the filter, with a filter not designed to flow the 3 bar desired at the IP on full boost? Or determined if there is excessive obstruction at the filter that could cause premature fuel pump failure?

The reason of course that observing that the engine seems to run fine with the OM603 filter, and stating this to be evidence the filter is working appropriately, neglects that effects on power output and optimal running of the engine can be difficult to guage without some sort of comparison, and that long term effects and wear on the injection pump and injectors from inadequate filtering takes a long time to show!

I will say however without any hesitation that I am not a filter engineer, and have done NO testing myself with different fuel filters or on other aspects of the superturbodiesel fuel system, so would be interested in anyone's input who has information on this, as I'm sure others would also.

mike89011
Naturally-aspirated

06-11-2017, 11:37 PM #2
I do realize that many people likely have a few OM603 fuel filter heads lying around with the OM603 fuel lines, such that swapping them into your superturbodiesel is very easy. In my case however, along with being unclear on the appropriateness of the OM603 fuel filter, I also don't have any OM603s lying around to scavenge from, so it was just as easy for me to go with a custom designed system with published specs to support it.

So here is what I found after contacting the major fuel filter companies by email, and querying that I wanted a fuel filter that used standard 1-14" threads, such as would be compatible with this filter head available with primer pump on ebay for around $20. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diesel-Fuel-Filt...1839363339

Using a very standard threading for the U.S., I could always then also be confident about finding something that would fit in a pinch. 

I stated to the filter companies that I wanted a filter that was rated for at least 80 psi, that could flow at least 60 gph (~240 lph), that filtered to at least 10 microns, and had a water separator drain at the bottom, preferrably with a clear sight bowl.

A few of the companies were a complete bust. Racor, known for their clear bowl water separators, had nothing that could handle the flow and pressure. Fram gave me no reply. CAT were a bunch of douchbags, and kept referring me to my "local dealer," who obviously knew nothing except how to look up in a book what filter was for what engine. Luber-Finer and Wix did not have a filter with the desired specs that had the standard 1-14" threading.

Here is the winners list:

Donaldson-
Filter P553203 or P553207
Clear water bowl P569758 (unique to Donaldson)
100 psi
90 gph
3 micron

Baldwin-
Filter BF1223-O
Clear water bowl, uses the wix WF10136 bowl or racor bowl (generics avail on ebay)
25 gpm
100 psi
10 micron

Baldwin-
Filter BF1259
No bowl, does have water drain
25-30 gpm
200 psi
9 micron

Fleet Guard-
Filter FS1000, FS1001, FS1003 or FS1009
340 L/h (89.828 gph)
1400 kPa (203.05 psi)
10 micron

Jegs
Filter 15178
40 gpm
260 psi
7 micron

All as mentioned, use standard 1-14” threading, and seem readily available in the U.S. Along with having interchangability between a variety of filters, I also now have a primer pump on the filter head, and a clear sight bowl for the water separator, for around the same cost as obtaining the stock OM603 filter head and lines without these features. And from the specs provided, I have some sort of reassurance the filter is appropriate for the pressure, flow, etc, of the system.
mike89011
06-11-2017, 11:37 PM #2

I do realize that many people likely have a few OM603 fuel filter heads lying around with the OM603 fuel lines, such that swapping them into your superturbodiesel is very easy. In my case however, along with being unclear on the appropriateness of the OM603 fuel filter, I also don't have any OM603s lying around to scavenge from, so it was just as easy for me to go with a custom designed system with published specs to support it.

So here is what I found after contacting the major fuel filter companies by email, and querying that I wanted a fuel filter that used standard 1-14" threads, such as would be compatible with this filter head available with primer pump on ebay for around $20. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diesel-Fuel-Filt...1839363339

Using a very standard threading for the U.S., I could always then also be confident about finding something that would fit in a pinch. 

I stated to the filter companies that I wanted a filter that was rated for at least 80 psi, that could flow at least 60 gph (~240 lph), that filtered to at least 10 microns, and had a water separator drain at the bottom, preferrably with a clear sight bowl.

A few of the companies were a complete bust. Racor, known for their clear bowl water separators, had nothing that could handle the flow and pressure. Fram gave me no reply. CAT were a bunch of douchbags, and kept referring me to my "local dealer," who obviously knew nothing except how to look up in a book what filter was for what engine. Luber-Finer and Wix did not have a filter with the desired specs that had the standard 1-14" threading.

Here is the winners list:

Donaldson-
Filter P553203 or P553207
Clear water bowl P569758 (unique to Donaldson)
100 psi
90 gph
3 micron

Baldwin-
Filter BF1223-O
Clear water bowl, uses the wix WF10136 bowl or racor bowl (generics avail on ebay)
25 gpm
100 psi
10 micron

Baldwin-
Filter BF1259
25-30 gpm
200 psi
9 micron

Fleet Guard-
Filter FS1000, FS1001, FS1003 or FS1009
340 L/h (89.828 gph)
1400 kPa (203.05 psi)
10 micron

Jegs
Filter 15178
40 gpm
260 psi
7 micron

All as mentioned, use standard 1-14” threading, and seem readily available in the U.S. Along with having interchangability between a variety of filters, I also now have a primer pump on the filter head, and a clear sight bowl for the water separator, for around the same cost as obtaining the stock OM603 filter head and lines without these features. And from the specs provided, I have some sort of reassurance the filter is appropriate for the pressure, flow, etc, of the system.

barrote
Superturbo

06-12-2017, 03:16 AM #3
Well, nice job and thanks very much.
As of the stock filter in the 605 wich is the same in all 601 to 606 engines (at least in PT) flow 180 to 200 lts hr with 1.5 bar inlet and the stock fittings.
It holds a superpump well enough . It is a restricting factor? Yes in my opinion the fuel filter should be able to flow around 300 lts hr at 500Mb diff pressure for 150cc pumps and above.
The other important matter wich u did not mentioned is the FPR position in the system. That too is arguing matter very often.
So as is the pump position and the rating of the return bleed valve.(return banjo).
Regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
06-12-2017, 03:16 AM #3

Well, nice job and thanks very much.
As of the stock filter in the 605 wich is the same in all 601 to 606 engines (at least in PT) flow 180 to 200 lts hr with 1.5 bar inlet and the stock fittings.
It holds a superpump well enough . It is a restricting factor? Yes in my opinion the fuel filter should be able to flow around 300 lts hr at 500Mb diff pressure for 150cc pumps and above.
The other important matter wich u did not mentioned is the FPR position in the system. That too is arguing matter very often.
So as is the pump position and the rating of the return bleed valve.(return banjo).
Regards

FD,