STD Tuning Engine OM606 Glow plugs

OM606 Glow plugs

OM606 Glow plugs

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

WSchotty
K26-2

04-08-2018, 04:09 PM #1
After reading a whole bunch of threads about the extraction of broken glow plugs it finally came time to remove the set from my new om606. I found that the Duramax guys have a similar issue and have come up with a solution using vibration to prevent the broken plug. Their method uses a air hammer hooked to a socket so the plug body could be vibrated while they worked the plugs loose with a wrench.

I started looking at the 606 plugs, and noticed we might be able to vibrate the tip from the electrical terminal side. I tried it out, and didn't break one. The plugs had pretty good carbon on the tips after they came out.

https://youtu.be/3fC0TK0LkRQ

I tapped the plug terminal with an air hammer and slowly worked each plug loose and tight just a small amount with tapping between each movement. A couple of cycles of this and the plugs slowly backed out without trouble.

This does destroy the plug terminal, in the video you can see the terminal flatten and metal flakes are flying everywhere. This could be very bad if you use too much power, so make sure you have some finesse with the air chisel if you are going to try this.

Not sure if I was just lucky, or if this helped out. This was on a stone cold engine.
WSchotty
04-08-2018, 04:09 PM #1

After reading a whole bunch of threads about the extraction of broken glow plugs it finally came time to remove the set from my new om606. I found that the Duramax guys have a similar issue and have come up with a solution using vibration to prevent the broken plug. Their method uses a air hammer hooked to a socket so the plug body could be vibrated while they worked the plugs loose with a wrench.

I started looking at the 606 plugs, and noticed we might be able to vibrate the tip from the electrical terminal side. I tried it out, and didn't break one. The plugs had pretty good carbon on the tips after they came out.

https://youtu.be/3fC0TK0LkRQ

I tapped the plug terminal with an air hammer and slowly worked each plug loose and tight just a small amount with tapping between each movement. A couple of cycles of this and the plugs slowly backed out without trouble.

This does destroy the plug terminal, in the video you can see the terminal flatten and metal flakes are flying everywhere. This could be very bad if you use too much power, so make sure you have some finesse with the air chisel if you are going to try this.

Not sure if I was just lucky, or if this helped out. This was on a stone cold engine.

AlanMcR
mind - blown

04-08-2018, 11:30 PM #2
Why tempt fate? Get the engine good and hot first.
AlanMcR
04-08-2018, 11:30 PM #2

Why tempt fate? Get the engine good and hot first.

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average