STD Maintenance General 617 strange black smoke issue.

617 strange black smoke issue.

617 strange black smoke issue.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

H.Bohm
Naturally-aspirated

12-20-2019, 01:02 PM #1
I picked up a fairly clean 82 300td over the weekend. 162k miles but fairly neglected. It has a strange black smoke issue under heavy throttle or revving, and I say strange because I've come across this several times and none of the usual culprits seem to be it- 
so far I have done the following: 
changed the oil-
Valve adjustment- 
Checked timing chain stretch (has some but within tolerance) and timing looked good 
compression was between 405-420 across the cylinders. 
Swapped all the injectors with a rebuilt and tested set.
changed the air filter 

Anyone have an idea what else I should look for? Other than the big puff of black this thing runs really well, starts within one engine revolution every time even this morning at 16F. Turbo spools fast and it pulls well, just blots out the sun behind me
H.Bohm
12-20-2019, 01:02 PM #1

I picked up a fairly clean 82 300td over the weekend. 162k miles but fairly neglected. It has a strange black smoke issue under heavy throttle or revving, and I say strange because I've come across this several times and none of the usual culprits seem to be it- 
changed the oil-
Valve adjustment- 
Checked timing chain stretch (has some but within tolerance) and timing looked good 
changed the air filter 

Anyone have an idea what else I should look for? Other than the big puff of black this thing runs really well, starts within one engine revolution every time even this morning at 16F. Turbo spools fast and it pulls well, just blots out the sun behind me

Austincarnut
Holset

12-20-2019, 10:29 PM #2
Base timing? injection pump timing? 

H.BohmI picked up a fairly clean 82 300td over the weekend. 162k miles but fairly neglected. It has a strange black smoke issue under heavy throttle or revving, and I say strange because I've come across this several times and none of the usual culprits seem to be it- 
changed the oil-
Valve adjustment- 
changed the air filter 

This post was last modified: 12-20-2019, 10:30 PM by Austincarnut.
Austincarnut
12-20-2019, 10:29 PM #2

Base timing? injection pump timing? 

H.BohmI picked up a fairly clean 82 300td over the weekend. 162k miles but fairly neglected. It has a strange black smoke issue under heavy throttle or revving, and I say strange because I've come across this several times and none of the usual culprits seem to be it- 
changed the oil-
Valve adjustment- 
changed the air filter 

Petar
7.5mm M pump

12-21-2019, 11:45 AM #3
Maybe the ALDA was tampered with ? Does the smoke clear up on boost or not ?
This post was last modified: 12-21-2019, 11:49 AM by Petar.
Petar
12-21-2019, 11:45 AM #3

Maybe the ALDA was tampered with ? Does the smoke clear up on boost or not ?

H.Bohm
Naturally-aspirated

12-21-2019, 01:27 PM #4
I put a temporary boost gauge on just to see and made 9psi, heavy smoke before and during boost as long as I'm flooring it. ALDA does not appear to have ever been touched as it still has the anti tamper cap on.

I'll check the IP timing later today and see but the last car I had with a similar issue ran terribly and had massive chain stretch. The perfect idle, perfect hot/cold starts, and high compression has me confused.
H.Bohm
12-21-2019, 01:27 PM #4

I put a temporary boost gauge on just to see and made 9psi, heavy smoke before and during boost as long as I'm flooring it. ALDA does not appear to have ever been touched as it still has the anti tamper cap on.

I'll check the IP timing later today and see but the last car I had with a similar issue ran terribly and had massive chain stretch. The perfect idle, perfect hot/cold starts, and high compression has me confused.

H.Bohm
Naturally-aspirated

12-27-2019, 11:37 AM #5
After checking the IP timing and seeing no issues I decided to swap pumps and that did it. So something was internally wrong with the original pump.
H.Bohm
12-27-2019, 11:37 AM #5

After checking the IP timing and seeing no issues I decided to swap pumps and that did it. So something was internally wrong with the original pump.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average