STD Other Projects What should I put this OM606 into?

What should I put this OM606 into?

What should I put this OM606 into?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

moroza
Naturally-aspirated

06-08-2020, 04:28 AM #1
Greetings! I'm an import mechanic (mostly BMW, VW, Toyota), straight-six and diesel enthusiast, long lusted after an OM606 and finally acquired one. It's sitting on a pallet in my shop, about to get an OM603 pump and a bench-test.

I'm undecided where to put it. For the last 15 years, my main ride has been a BMW E34, currently this:

[Image: 49983829786_6aaff7367a_o.jpg]

[Image: 49900720202_1c1ed12c7c_o.jpg]

A black on black sunroofless wagon with a 6-speed swap. It was the obvious choice, but that chassis has some fundamental drawbacks, and when I saw how much work the OM606 install would be, I wondered about putting it into a more worthy chassis.

So the project shifted from "find an OM606 and put it into this E34" to "find something to put this OM606 into, something good-looking, comfortable for four, and without too many flaws." Regardless of what I end up choosing, it's getting the OM606, set up as a zero-wire, and a manual transmission (probably Mercedes, instead of adaptation headaches). I welcome any and all feedback and opinions on the candidates, but anything related to their stock engines and transmissions is irrelevant.

The candidates:

1. E34 Touring. 15 years and I'm not tired of looking at it, inside or out. Back seat could be more comfortable. Road noise borderline. Practical, well-designed, very versatile. I've owned six, five of them wagons, and know them inside and out. The one I have has less than two years on a full suspension rebuild. Stock steering is garbage and a rack swap is difficult, but I'm fed up with the recirculating box, insist on changing it. OM606 would require some medium modifications to fit, but OM606 *and* a rack would be a lot of work.

2. E39 Touring. The highway ride is fantastic, and quiet. Handling is a strong point, too. Gives up no utility or practicality to the E34. Interior is comparable, exterior a bit bland. Body electronics are a bit of a problem. A-pillars are huge and that's something I find hard to forgive and live with. Its engine bay is surprisingly large, but I don't know OM606 swap difficulty (hence my other post about the OM648 pan).

3. W140 LWB. I hear excellent things, have yet to experience one outside a junkyard. More big than beautiful; a good example  can be impressive, but I agree with Bruno Sacco, that it's some 10cm too tall, and with Jeremy Clarkson, that it's not quite the esthetic masterpiece one might expect. I'd put that aside for this level of ride comfort, but what I can't ignore is a steering wheel some 5cm off center. Is this just the junkyard example I saw recently, or are they all like that? If so, that's a dealbreaker. Next...

4. Jaguar X300, possibly X308. Wasn't on my radar until I randomly got to drive a 2000 XJ8. Esthetically strong inside and out, the ride was marvelous, and from brief testing, it was also quiet. A bit cramped in the back but there's a LWB version I've yet to sit in. I have no idea what a 606 swap would involve ; haven't looked into it.

Others I've ruled out:
 - E38 LWB. I hear good things and I like to look at them, but I've yet to be impressed by an actual example. Body electronics more of a problem. Anyway, enginebay measurements strongly suggest an OM606 won't clear the hood and subframe.

- W124. Rear seat amenities unacceptable, exterior not to my taste. The possibility of a 4Manual one was enticing for a minute.

- W210. Rides well, sedans look good, but the wagons don't, and other than the ride stability and the engine, the rest of the examples I've seen felt cheap and mediocre.

- W211. Rides great, exterior I like. Interior has too many buttons, and a big screen is almost a dealbreaker by itself.

- W220. Seats are uncomfortable for me. Too many buttons and electronics.

- W126. Too much wind noise. Still, I might reconsider this one because of its strengths: the ride, the solid build quality, the space, and the looks.

Opinions?
This post was last modified: 06-08-2020, 04:40 PM by moroza.
moroza
06-08-2020, 04:28 AM #1

Greetings! I'm an import mechanic (mostly BMW, VW, Toyota), straight-six and diesel enthusiast, long lusted after an OM606 and finally acquired one. It's sitting on a pallet in my shop, about to get an OM603 pump and a bench-test.

I'm undecided where to put it. For the last 15 years, my main ride has been a BMW E34, currently this:

[Image: 49983829786_6aaff7367a_o.jpg]

[Image: 49900720202_1c1ed12c7c_o.jpg]

A black on black sunroofless wagon with a 6-speed swap. It was the obvious choice, but that chassis has some fundamental drawbacks, and when I saw how much work the OM606 install would be, I wondered about putting it into a more worthy chassis.

So the project shifted from "find an OM606 and put it into this E34" to "find something to put this OM606 into, something good-looking, comfortable for four, and without too many flaws." Regardless of what I end up choosing, it's getting the OM606, set up as a zero-wire, and a manual transmission (probably Mercedes, instead of adaptation headaches). I welcome any and all feedback and opinions on the candidates, but anything related to their stock engines and transmissions is irrelevant.

The candidates:

1. E34 Touring. 15 years and I'm not tired of looking at it, inside or out. Back seat could be more comfortable. Road noise borderline. Practical, well-designed, very versatile. I've owned six, five of them wagons, and know them inside and out. The one I have has less than two years on a full suspension rebuild. Stock steering is garbage and a rack swap is difficult, but I'm fed up with the recirculating box, insist on changing it. OM606 would require some medium modifications to fit, but OM606 *and* a rack would be a lot of work.

2. E39 Touring. The highway ride is fantastic, and quiet. Handling is a strong point, too. Gives up no utility or practicality to the E34. Interior is comparable, exterior a bit bland. Body electronics are a bit of a problem. A-pillars are huge and that's something I find hard to forgive and live with. Its engine bay is surprisingly large, but I don't know OM606 swap difficulty (hence my other post about the OM648 pan).

3. W140 LWB. I hear excellent things, have yet to experience one outside a junkyard. More big than beautiful; a good example  can be impressive, but I agree with Bruno Sacco, that it's some 10cm too tall, and with Jeremy Clarkson, that it's not quite the esthetic masterpiece one might expect. I'd put that aside for this level of ride comfort, but what I can't ignore is a steering wheel some 5cm off center. Is this just the junkyard example I saw recently, or are they all like that? If so, that's a dealbreaker. Next...

4. Jaguar X300, possibly X308. Wasn't on my radar until I randomly got to drive a 2000 XJ8. Esthetically strong inside and out, the ride was marvelous, and from brief testing, it was also quiet. A bit cramped in the back but there's a LWB version I've yet to sit in. I have no idea what a 606 swap would involve ; haven't looked into it.

Others I've ruled out:
 - E38 LWB. I hear good things and I like to look at them, but I've yet to be impressed by an actual example. Body electronics more of a problem. Anyway, enginebay measurements strongly suggest an OM606 won't clear the hood and subframe.

- W124. Rear seat amenities unacceptable, exterior not to my taste. The possibility of a 4Manual one was enticing for a minute.

- W210. Rides well, sedans look good, but the wagons don't, and other than the ride stability and the engine, the rest of the examples I've seen felt cheap and mediocre.

- W211. Rides great, exterior I like. Interior has too many buttons, and a big screen is almost a dealbreaker by itself.

- W220. Seats are uncomfortable for me. Too many buttons and electronics.

- W126. Too much wind noise. Still, I might reconsider this one because of its strengths: the ride, the solid build quality, the space, and the looks.

Opinions?

e3mt
Unregistered

07-04-2020, 06:28 PM #2
I vote for the E34 wagon. Figure out the rack and take copious notes/post a lot of pictures for us of lesser skills to emulate. :-)

Or do a OM648 or BMW M57 swap.

Good luck.
Happy Fourth to all!
e3mt
07-04-2020, 06:28 PM #2

I vote for the E34 wagon. Figure out the rack and take copious notes/post a lot of pictures for us of lesser skills to emulate. :-)

Or do a OM648 or BMW M57 swap.

Good luck.
Happy Fourth to all!

wiseman89
K26-2

07-05-2020, 12:14 PM #3
I just about to pick up my OM606 swapped 560sel.

one plus for the W126 chassis is the ease of the swap. The only thing I had to fab up was the pivot point for the throttle linkage and the full exhaust.
Everything was nearly a direct swap including the 722.626 trans I used.
wiseman89
07-05-2020, 12:14 PM #3

I just about to pick up my OM606 swapped 560sel.

one plus for the W126 chassis is the ease of the swap. The only thing I had to fab up was the pivot point for the throttle linkage and the full exhaust.
Everything was nearly a direct swap including the 722.626 trans I used.

TwoMuchBoost
K26-2

07-05-2020, 12:43 PM #4
Although the Jag would be kind of cool, I hate working on those chassis... I’m partial to the W126 because my 300SDL is 606 swapped too. The engine drops right in place and you don’t even have to do the 722.6 trans swap right away if you started with a 300SDL. Everything lines up but a couple of heater hoses and the throttle linkage. Such a stately looking chassis and having the straight line oomph to make it hang with sports cars and AMG’s instead of being Prius slow is just what it needed.

I’m torn between 722.6 or trying to do a Chevy trans swap. I’m scared of the 3-4 gear shift flare on the 722.6 since the OM606 has no form of torque management with mech pump. Trans brake would be cool too which is likely easier with the Chevy.
TwoMuchBoost
07-05-2020, 12:43 PM #4

Although the Jag would be kind of cool, I hate working on those chassis... I’m partial to the W126 because my 300SDL is 606 swapped too. The engine drops right in place and you don’t even have to do the 722.6 trans swap right away if you started with a 300SDL. Everything lines up but a couple of heater hoses and the throttle linkage. Such a stately looking chassis and having the straight line oomph to make it hang with sports cars and AMG’s instead of being Prius slow is just what it needed.

I’m torn between 722.6 or trying to do a Chevy trans swap. I’m scared of the 3-4 gear shift flare on the 722.6 since the OM606 has no form of torque management with mech pump. Trans brake would be cool too which is likely easier with the Chevy.

moroza
Naturally-aspirated

07-06-2020, 09:58 PM #5
Well, a few things have changed in the meantime...

E39 is ruled out because it won't fit a 606; the engine is simply too tall to clear between the steering rack and hood.

Two more cases for the E34 are 1. it's already here and 90% sorted out, and 2. I have a lot of sentimental value and appreciation for it - this car took a decade to find, and I had to jump through a few hoops to get it - and would have a very hard time selling it. That means I'd keep it, and at that point I'd have five vehicles, which probably fits some DSM-5 criteria...

The Jag I want is a black X308 long wheelbase with good paint, not easy to find, paired with an X300 black interior of which I've seen two examples ever. Not likely due to scarcity. I also don't know if the 606 will fit or not; no examples near me and haven't gotten anyone on the forums to measure.

I finally got to drive a W140. That was a mistake... Holy hell, what a ride! I was hoping it'd be a perfunctory "ok, crossed that off my list. Next." but unfortunately, it really is All That as far as ride and silence, living up to all the hype I'd read about. I'm casually looking for a cheap black early LWB model, good enough to be worth the effort of acquring and cheap enough to sit around or dump if I end up not building on it.

W126 still ruled out. I like the exterior and love the interior, both more than the W140, but in addition to the drawbacks of a sedan (coming from my wagon), the wind noise is a problem - not in an objective way, or in the context of cars in general, but in the context of the project's goal.

The project has been revised again. Now it's: 1. get the E34 as comfortable as possible, then reevaluate. Meanwhile get the 606 running on a pallet. Then either 2a. stuff it into the E34 or 2b. expand the criteria for a W140 (still must be LWB and black, but cost, year, and interior less strict) and install there instead.

Phase 1, "comfortization", will involve:
 - Self-leveling suspension retrofit. Commonly deleted, it'll soften the overly firm rear suspension while retaining cargo capaciity. Have parts, will be installing in a couple of weeks.
 - Soundproofing. A little dampener, a lot of closed-cell foam, a lot of mass-loaded vinyl, rubberized undercoating at least in the wheelwells, and heavy soundproofing curtains in the cargo area, especially one behind the rear headrests to act as a partition. To this end, I'm also looking into some newfangled tires (Bridgestone?) that are supposed to be a lot quieter.
 - Rear seat improvement. Replace some bottom cushions with pads I harvested from an E32 750iL, along with their heating pads. Trim the seatback cushions to cure some assymetry, install heating pads WIT, and relocate the seatback striker pin to make the seats more reclined in their upright position.

I won't be using a 722, or any automatic whatsoever. No way, no how, hard requirement. Candidate #1 right now is a 716.657, but I'm wary of the plastic internal slave cylinder. Other candidates include the 716.664 and various 717.
This post was last modified: 07-07-2020, 12:15 PM by moroza.
moroza
07-06-2020, 09:58 PM #5

Well, a few things have changed in the meantime...

E39 is ruled out because it won't fit a 606; the engine is simply too tall to clear between the steering rack and hood.

Two more cases for the E34 are 1. it's already here and 90% sorted out, and 2. I have a lot of sentimental value and appreciation for it - this car took a decade to find, and I had to jump through a few hoops to get it - and would have a very hard time selling it. That means I'd keep it, and at that point I'd have five vehicles, which probably fits some DSM-5 criteria...

The Jag I want is a black X308 long wheelbase with good paint, not easy to find, paired with an X300 black interior of which I've seen two examples ever. Not likely due to scarcity. I also don't know if the 606 will fit or not; no examples near me and haven't gotten anyone on the forums to measure.

I finally got to drive a W140. That was a mistake... Holy hell, what a ride! I was hoping it'd be a perfunctory "ok, crossed that off my list. Next." but unfortunately, it really is All That as far as ride and silence, living up to all the hype I'd read about. I'm casually looking for a cheap black early LWB model, good enough to be worth the effort of acquring and cheap enough to sit around or dump if I end up not building on it.

W126 still ruled out. I like the exterior and love the interior, both more than the W140, but in addition to the drawbacks of a sedan (coming from my wagon), the wind noise is a problem - not in an objective way, or in the context of cars in general, but in the context of the project's goal.

The project has been revised again. Now it's: 1. get the E34 as comfortable as possible, then reevaluate. Meanwhile get the 606 running on a pallet. Then either 2a. stuff it into the E34 or 2b. expand the criteria for a W140 (still must be LWB and black, but cost, year, and interior less strict) and install there instead.

Phase 1, "comfortization", will involve:
 - Self-leveling suspension retrofit. Commonly deleted, it'll soften the overly firm rear suspension while retaining cargo capaciity. Have parts, will be installing in a couple of weeks.
 - Soundproofing. A little dampener, a lot of closed-cell foam, a lot of mass-loaded vinyl, rubberized undercoating at least in the wheelwells, and heavy soundproofing curtains in the cargo area, especially one behind the rear headrests to act as a partition. To this end, I'm also looking into some newfangled tires (Bridgestone?) that are supposed to be a lot quieter.
 - Rear seat improvement. Replace some bottom cushions with pads I harvested from an E32 750iL, along with their heating pads. Trim the seatback cushions to cure some assymetry, install heating pads WIT, and relocate the seatback striker pin to make the seats more reclined in their upright position.

I won't be using a 722, or any automatic whatsoever. No way, no how, hard requirement. Candidate #1 right now is a 716.657, but I'm wary of the plastic internal slave cylinder. Other candidates include the 716.664 and various 717.

Slav
Naturally-aspirated

07-09-2020, 10:38 AM #6
I swapped mine into w140. Bespoke comfort with episodes of madness. It's what I'm looking for.
But it has to be automatic. There is no sense. You are influenced by BMW. Don't miss the idea.
Besides, merc manuals are made out of glass.
Slav
07-09-2020, 10:38 AM #6

I swapped mine into w140. Bespoke comfort with episodes of madness. It's what I'm looking for.
But it has to be automatic. There is no sense. You are influenced by BMW. Don't miss the idea.
Besides, merc manuals are made out of glass.

moroza
Naturally-aspirated

08-12-2020, 07:34 PM #7
What part of "no way, no how, hard requirement" is unclear? I don't want to hear about "sense" or "missing the point of the car"; as wasted advice goes, this is up there with telling me to sell all my cars and ride a bus. I do want to hear about actual cases of X transmission doing fine until Y torque, then Z broke. The datapoints I have are mostly from this thread. The SG-S400 boxes, rated for 400Nm, seem ok up to 700Nm or so, then third gear is the weak point. More datapoints are always welcome. I'm aware that the older 5-speeds aren't strong; I'm not considering those at all.

It'll be ~300-350Nm at first, hopefully ~600-700 later. Maybe a transmission oil cooler will help. Worst case, adapt a BMW GS6-53DZ or S6S-420G, rated for 530 and 420Nm respectively, but the former seems good for at least 800, and the latter I've seen handle well over 1000Nm.

The Jaguar is out, because its engine bay is at least 5cm too low. That leaves the E34 and the W140 as my options, and I'm still waiting on some work to be completed on the E34 before I make a decision.
moroza
08-12-2020, 07:34 PM #7

What part of "no way, no how, hard requirement" is unclear? I don't want to hear about "sense" or "missing the point of the car"; as wasted advice goes, this is up there with telling me to sell all my cars and ride a bus. I do want to hear about actual cases of X transmission doing fine until Y torque, then Z broke. The datapoints I have are mostly from this thread. The SG-S400 boxes, rated for 400Nm, seem ok up to 700Nm or so, then third gear is the weak point. More datapoints are always welcome. I'm aware that the older 5-speeds aren't strong; I'm not considering those at all.

It'll be ~300-350Nm at first, hopefully ~600-700 later. Maybe a transmission oil cooler will help. Worst case, adapt a BMW GS6-53DZ or S6S-420G, rated for 530 and 420Nm respectively, but the former seems good for at least 800, and the latter I've seen handle well over 1000Nm.

The Jaguar is out, because its engine bay is at least 5cm too low. That leaves the E34 and the W140 as my options, and I'm still waiting on some work to be completed on the E34 before I make a decision.

Won24
Unregistered

11-19-2022, 10:46 AM #8
First of all, is smog a concern? Maybe I'll help you check off some things.

I like the idea of a land cruiser, as you're already familiar with Toyota in surprised you haven't considered it. Might be a tight engine bay to squeeze it into.

There is the Cressida, but honestly I feel like the W140 is better in basically every way.

I'm going to say no it off the gate on this one... Crown Vic?

I love my W124, but honestly I've been looking for a cheap diesel 87+ W201 but I'll probably never find it. CA is a bag of dicks when it comes to swapping, or anything automotive really. Have you considered the W124 wagon? Probably...

An old Ford bronco would be cool, but the ride probably isn't what you'd want. I'm considering this with my NA OM606 post turbo transplant into the W124.

Cadillac DeVille might be nice, if you're into that kind of car. A friend of mine in college had one, was nice to ride in, but I feel like the W140 still wins.

I suppose you could try an older Rolls or Bentley.

Honestly I think 1980-1995 were the pinnacle of no nonsense, functional automotive engineering. I honestly don't think I'll ever buy a car produced after ~2003. I have a hard time considering anything other than a Benz of that era unless it's an SUV or a truck. Oh, how about both? A G wagon is a good choice.
Won24
11-19-2022, 10:46 AM #8

First of all, is smog a concern? Maybe I'll help you check off some things.

I like the idea of a land cruiser, as you're already familiar with Toyota in surprised you haven't considered it. Might be a tight engine bay to squeeze it into.

There is the Cressida, but honestly I feel like the W140 is better in basically every way.

I'm going to say no it off the gate on this one... Crown Vic?

I love my W124, but honestly I've been looking for a cheap diesel 87+ W201 but I'll probably never find it. CA is a bag of dicks when it comes to swapping, or anything automotive really. Have you considered the W124 wagon? Probably...

An old Ford bronco would be cool, but the ride probably isn't what you'd want. I'm considering this with my NA OM606 post turbo transplant into the W124.

Cadillac DeVille might be nice, if you're into that kind of car. A friend of mine in college had one, was nice to ride in, but I feel like the W140 still wins.

I suppose you could try an older Rolls or Bentley.

Honestly I think 1980-1995 were the pinnacle of no nonsense, functional automotive engineering. I honestly don't think I'll ever buy a car produced after ~2003. I have a hard time considering anything other than a Benz of that era unless it's an SUV or a truck. Oh, how about both? A G wagon is a good choice.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average