STD Other Projects very strange question mercedes engine in bmw e34

very strange question mercedes engine in bmw e34

very strange question mercedes engine in bmw e34

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

bmwmtechnike24
Naturally-aspirated

08-12-2020, 01:06 PM #1
Hello

my name is ruben block,I am from belgium and a gasolinehead.
I like to drive and drift.
but I have to be honest.If I see how much power there comes out a tuned diesel engine.
and when I compare that power level with a gasoline engine it costed a lot more in fuel cost.
I rather give my money on good parts then to wast on fuel cost.
putting money in tuning the m51 engine of the 525tds with 250hp will not be good for me.
I need more power.

so my first thing was to buy a diesel bmw,from 1992 so its a true oldtimer here in belgium.
I wanted to tune this bmw engine but the more I learn about tuning diesel engine the more I find tuned mercedes diesel engines.
there are very good,very good.

for some it will be hard but I am going to try it.put a mercedes engine in a bmw e34.so I have a dialy driver and when I want
I can go and drift with it.
when I put the same money in a mercedes engine tuning I get a lot more fun.

can somebody point me in the good direction.I found a post that for the e34 I need a om648 oilpan.
so I was thinking to start with the cdi320 engine and give that a dieselmeken made pump.
I know a lot more from the e34 then from mercedes engines.I have to start for 0.

iff somebody knows more or someone that have done this beforeplease let me know so I can start looking for a donar car.

best regards

ruben
bmwmtechnike24
08-12-2020, 01:06 PM #1

Hello

my name is ruben block,I am from belgium and a gasolinehead.
I like to drive and drift.
but I have to be honest.If I see how much power there comes out a tuned diesel engine.
and when I compare that power level with a gasoline engine it costed a lot more in fuel cost.
I rather give my money on good parts then to wast on fuel cost.
putting money in tuning the m51 engine of the 525tds with 250hp will not be good for me.
I need more power.

so my first thing was to buy a diesel bmw,from 1992 so its a true oldtimer here in belgium.
I wanted to tune this bmw engine but the more I learn about tuning diesel engine the more I find tuned mercedes diesel engines.
there are very good,very good.

for some it will be hard but I am going to try it.put a mercedes engine in a bmw e34.so I have a dialy driver and when I want
I can go and drift with it.
when I put the same money in a mercedes engine tuning I get a lot more fun.

can somebody point me in the good direction.I found a post that for the e34 I need a om648 oilpan.
so I was thinking to start with the cdi320 engine and give that a dieselmeken made pump.
I know a lot more from the e34 then from mercedes engines.I have to start for 0.

iff somebody knows more or someone that have done this beforeplease let me know so I can start looking for a donar car.

best regards

ruben

SurfRodder
Jackass Extraordinaire

08-12-2020, 05:41 PM #2
CDI engine does not use Bosch indirect injection pump. I don't know what dieselmeken can do with CDI pumps, but generally he tunes Bosch 'M' Pumps for OM606 and smaller/older I.e. OM60x) engines.

That being said an OM648 pan "should" fit an OM606 engine and then you need OM603 M pump for dieselmeken to tune.

I have a 4matic oil pan that I will be trying to fit to an OM648 engine sometime next year for my S124 (1990 300TE soon to be TD). Oil pan gaskets look VERY similar....looking forward to your experiment.

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62
SurfRodder
08-12-2020, 05:41 PM #2

CDI engine does not use Bosch indirect injection pump. I don't know what dieselmeken can do with CDI pumps, but generally he tunes Bosch 'M' Pumps for OM606 and smaller/older I.e. OM60x) engines.

That being said an OM648 pan "should" fit an OM606 engine and then you need OM603 M pump for dieselmeken to tune.

I have a 4matic oil pan that I will be trying to fit to an OM648 engine sometime next year for my S124 (1990 300TE soon to be TD). Oil pan gaskets look VERY similar....looking forward to your experiment.

W123 Mods: 4 speed ** manual climate control ** '85 Kalitucky intake ** manual windows & full tint ** Euro headlights retrofit w/bixenon projectors ** 4 brake light mod ** Vogtland 50mm drop front & Lesjofors S600 drop rear springs ** 16" rims ** late w126 brake spindles, rotors & calipers ** full suspension rehab ** Bilstein HDs ** AL129X alternator & 1/0 starter and charging cables ** 300GD clutch/flywheel ** AFCO 80103N radiator & Earl's 41610 oil cooler ** custom block-off plate, remote oil filter & t-stat ** MW IP w/ tomnik's 6.5mm 'Holly' elements **

S124 Mods: 400E Rear subframe ** SL600 Brakes ** Late 300E 210mm diff ** SLK230 6 speed ** 17" CLK rims ** Vented RF Fender ** Facelift Hood, Headlights, and Lower Cladding **

OBK# 62

moroza
Naturally-aspirated

08-12-2020, 07:56 PM #3
Hello! See my post in this section; I'm a long-time E34 Touring owner and probably (the other option is a W140) putting an OM606 turbo into mine.

Dieselmeken might do something with the common-rail pumps, but "the" Dieselmeken pump is an injection pump, not a pressure pump.

OM606 and Mercedes are a bit new to me, but I know the E34 inside and out and have compiled a lot of data about the swap. I don't know much about the 648, but whatever of the 606 swap is relevant to you, I'm happy to share what I've learned and continue to learn as I do my own project.

There are two E34 OM606 I'm aware of, and a very similar E32. One of the E34 is a Touring done by Palmer Lynch of Lynch Works, based (I think) in Jacksonville, Florida. I found a Youtube video and a few Fakebook posts, but I boycott Fakebook so I don't have more information. The other E34 is a drift car somewhere in Europe; I found one video and that's it. The E32 is in Finland and there's some information on this board.

I'm not aware of any OM648 E34 or similar swaps. Both the 606 and all E34 are front-sump; the 648 stock rear sump would be for an E39 or some 3-series. The rear part of the 606 oilpan's deeper front section interferes with the E34 subframe. The solution I've seen is to trim the oilpan and weld in a patch, and apparently the oil pickup is not affected. The 648 and 606 oilpans interchange, though the oil pickup system also has to be changed; if the 648 fits the 606, I imagine it'll go the other way too.

The following notes on physical fitment might help you. They're for a 606, but the 648 should be close.

Width is not a problem except the intake manifold and the brake booster on most E34. My solution is to use the 530i/540i brake system. Another option is the hydraulic brake assist (hydroboost) on E32 and right-hand-drive E34. E34/E32 hydroboost uses a parallel dual-circuit steering pump, though it's common for conversions - outside he context of BMW, usually for motorhomes - to use a normal single-circuit pump, the pump feeding the brakes, which output to the steering. E34/E32 pumps make 130 bar and the brake pressure regulator keeps pressure at 57 bar. The OM606 pump puts out 120 bar, and like the BMW, is available as a single- or dual-circuit. The biggest problem with hydroboost is that the BMW parts are very expensive and some no longer available. With the availability of a factory solution to relocate the vacuum brake booster so that it's right next to the OM606 vacuum pump, this was an easy choice.

Height is not a problem, but close. I don't know about the M51, mostly the M50 and M60, but they fit the same space so dimensions should be similar. Both M50 and OM606 are 65cm high overall, from the bottom of the deeper oilpan section. M50 top to the bottom of the shallower oilpan section is 56cm, with another 4cm clearance to the steering center link (motor mounts a couple of months old). The OM606 is 58cm at the shallow part of the oilpan, leaving 2cm to the steering.

Length is a minor problem. E34 engine bay is 86cm from firewall to radiator. M50 engine is 72cm from bellhousing to the tip of the waterpump pulley (fan clutch removed). OM606 is 78cm. Assuming 1cm clearance for the engine, that leaves 6cm for a radiator fan - not much. The extra length means that with the slightly sloping hood, there'll be a bit less clearance at the front of the valvecover to the hood, but it looks like enough room.
This post was last modified: 08-13-2020, 01:12 PM by moroza.
moroza
08-12-2020, 07:56 PM #3

Hello! See my post in this section; I'm a long-time E34 Touring owner and probably (the other option is a W140) putting an OM606 turbo into mine.

Dieselmeken might do something with the common-rail pumps, but "the" Dieselmeken pump is an injection pump, not a pressure pump.

OM606 and Mercedes are a bit new to me, but I know the E34 inside and out and have compiled a lot of data about the swap. I don't know much about the 648, but whatever of the 606 swap is relevant to you, I'm happy to share what I've learned and continue to learn as I do my own project.

There are two E34 OM606 I'm aware of, and a very similar E32. One of the E34 is a Touring done by Palmer Lynch of Lynch Works, based (I think) in Jacksonville, Florida. I found a Youtube video and a few Fakebook posts, but I boycott Fakebook so I don't have more information. The other E34 is a drift car somewhere in Europe; I found one video and that's it. The E32 is in Finland and there's some information on this board.

I'm not aware of any OM648 E34 or similar swaps. Both the 606 and all E34 are front-sump; the 648 stock rear sump would be for an E39 or some 3-series. The rear part of the 606 oilpan's deeper front section interferes with the E34 subframe. The solution I've seen is to trim the oilpan and weld in a patch, and apparently the oil pickup is not affected. The 648 and 606 oilpans interchange, though the oil pickup system also has to be changed; if the 648 fits the 606, I imagine it'll go the other way too.

The following notes on physical fitment might help you. They're for a 606, but the 648 should be close.

Width is not a problem except the intake manifold and the brake booster on most E34. My solution is to use the 530i/540i brake system. Another option is the hydraulic brake assist (hydroboost) on E32 and right-hand-drive E34. E34/E32 hydroboost uses a parallel dual-circuit steering pump, though it's common for conversions - outside he context of BMW, usually for motorhomes - to use a normal single-circuit pump, the pump feeding the brakes, which output to the steering. E34/E32 pumps make 130 bar and the brake pressure regulator keeps pressure at 57 bar. The OM606 pump puts out 120 bar, and like the BMW, is available as a single- or dual-circuit. The biggest problem with hydroboost is that the BMW parts are very expensive and some no longer available. With the availability of a factory solution to relocate the vacuum brake booster so that it's right next to the OM606 vacuum pump, this was an easy choice.

Height is not a problem, but close. I don't know about the M51, mostly the M50 and M60, but they fit the same space so dimensions should be similar. Both M50 and OM606 are 65cm high overall, from the bottom of the deeper oilpan section. M50 top to the bottom of the shallower oilpan section is 56cm, with another 4cm clearance to the steering center link (motor mounts a couple of months old). The OM606 is 58cm at the shallow part of the oilpan, leaving 2cm to the steering.

Length is a minor problem. E34 engine bay is 86cm from firewall to radiator. M50 engine is 72cm from bellhousing to the tip of the waterpump pulley (fan clutch removed). OM606 is 78cm. Assuming 1cm clearance for the engine, that leaves 6cm for a radiator fan - not much. The extra length means that with the slightly sloping hood, there'll be a bit less clearance at the front of the valvecover to the hood, but it looks like enough room.

bmwmtechnike24
Naturally-aspirated

08-17-2020, 12:09 PM #4
Hello

Thank you for this great info.anf to take youre time for writing a answer.
;-) iff you ever in belgium,let me know whe are going to drink eat and drive.
I am going to buy a mercedes w124.a 300d one with a om603 engine.
I am sure that this will the best thing to do.keep the mercedes engine in a mercedes.
to much troubles,here in my country with the yearly technical controle of the vehicle.
everything is forbidden so when keeping it all together it will be much easyer.
I always liked the movie taxi.so I having a mercedes as a bmw driver it is not that hard.Its still german.

but now I have to check something different out.at what level op power the om606 it give to much black smoke so
you can not drive full power in the day.

best thing will that there is a power level so you can adjust the pump a little.turn close for street use(low profile)
and turn open for circuit.

best regards

ruben
bmwmtechnike24
08-17-2020, 12:09 PM #4

Hello

Thank you for this great info.anf to take youre time for writing a answer.
;-) iff you ever in belgium,let me know whe are going to drink eat and drive.
I am going to buy a mercedes w124.a 300d one with a om603 engine.
I am sure that this will the best thing to do.keep the mercedes engine in a mercedes.
to much troubles,here in my country with the yearly technical controle of the vehicle.
everything is forbidden so when keeping it all together it will be much easyer.
I always liked the movie taxi.so I having a mercedes as a bmw driver it is not that hard.Its still german.

but now I have to check something different out.at what level op power the om606 it give to much black smoke so
you can not drive full power in the day.

best thing will that there is a power level so you can adjust the pump a little.turn close for street use(low profile)
and turn open for circuit.

best regards

ruben

moroza
Naturally-aspirated

08-17-2020, 06:52 PM #5
Yeah, here in the US (especially out west) we have nowhere near the rules and restrictions about vehicles that you do. California and some northeast states come close, though. On the other hand, we have a lot of problems that you don't, or have less. One of them is cars in such bad condition that they're a threat to their occupants and surroundings. Another is the abysmal standard of driver education; just get me started on what I've seen in the 8 states I've lived in...

Personally, I've always answered "No" with "Why not? Let me see the fine print" and half the time end up with "Well... ok, if you do A B and C and fill out form X in correct legal jargon."

Later W124 came with OM606 NA. Of course I don't know the details of Belgian car laws, but I would expect there to be some path of least resistance to getting the power you want - turbo on the NA? OM606 in that because it sort of came natively and an inspector might be talked into passing it?

I have the same question regarding power and smoke. I think "rolling coal" is disgusting both per se, and because it gives car culture a bad name at a time when we really don't need the bad publicity (see what's happening in Germany with diesels). Smoke is fuel that isn't making power. You might as well pour it on the ground and light it on fire.

Maybe drive, eat, and then drink, in that order? Your country makes some truly excellent beer; by the time I'm done in a Belgian bar, I'll be lucky to remember what my car even looks like. Even your bottom of the barrel is better than half of what's in the US and most of what's in Norway (I lived there before; the drink situation is awful).
This post was last modified: 08-17-2020, 06:54 PM by moroza.
moroza
08-17-2020, 06:52 PM #5

Yeah, here in the US (especially out west) we have nowhere near the rules and restrictions about vehicles that you do. California and some northeast states come close, though. On the other hand, we have a lot of problems that you don't, or have less. One of them is cars in such bad condition that they're a threat to their occupants and surroundings. Another is the abysmal standard of driver education; just get me started on what I've seen in the 8 states I've lived in...

Personally, I've always answered "No" with "Why not? Let me see the fine print" and half the time end up with "Well... ok, if you do A B and C and fill out form X in correct legal jargon."

Later W124 came with OM606 NA. Of course I don't know the details of Belgian car laws, but I would expect there to be some path of least resistance to getting the power you want - turbo on the NA? OM606 in that because it sort of came natively and an inspector might be talked into passing it?

I have the same question regarding power and smoke. I think "rolling coal" is disgusting both per se, and because it gives car culture a bad name at a time when we really don't need the bad publicity (see what's happening in Germany with diesels). Smoke is fuel that isn't making power. You might as well pour it on the ground and light it on fire.

Maybe drive, eat, and then drink, in that order? Your country makes some truly excellent beer; by the time I'm done in a Belgian bar, I'll be lucky to remember what my car even looks like. Even your bottom of the barrel is better than half of what's in the US and most of what's in Norway (I lived there before; the drink situation is awful).

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average