STD Tuning Drivetrain BMW gearboxes onto OM606?

BMW gearboxes onto OM606?

BMW gearboxes onto OM606?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Simon B
K26-2

11-22-2020, 12:25 PM #1
Hi all, after turning the boost up my 716 6 speed is starting to complain quite loudly. It's obviously not going to last too much longer at this power so looking to put a BMW GS653DZ 6 speed in the car asap.

Has anyone here done this conversion?

Does anyone know if the input splines are the same as the Merc gearboxes?

I did look at DPUK's conversion kit, but I would be buying alot of stuff I already have. I'm thinking to cut and weld the bellhousing of the merc box onto it and reuse the existing flywheel/clutch of the OM606.
Simon B
11-22-2020, 12:25 PM #1

Hi all, after turning the boost up my 716 6 speed is starting to complain quite loudly. It's obviously not going to last too much longer at this power so looking to put a BMW GS653DZ 6 speed in the car asap.

Has anyone here done this conversion?

Does anyone know if the input splines are the same as the Merc gearboxes?

I did look at DPUK's conversion kit, but I would be buying alot of stuff I already have. I'm thinking to cut and weld the bellhousing of the merc box onto it and reuse the existing flywheel/clutch of the OM606.

moroza
Naturally-aspirated

12-22-2020, 08:10 PM #2
Which 716 do you have, how much torque are you putting through it, what clutch and flywheel, and what kind of driving style? I'm interested in data related to these transmissions' durability, while the clutch question can be used to answer your question of whether the splines are the same.

I have little information beyond what DPUK's site lists, but I'll point out that the BMW gearbox is considerably longer and wider than the Mercedes one. What chassis will this go into?

Rewelding the bellhousing places more of the burden on the welding quality, but done right it's a better solution. BMW gearboxes of this era have the pilot bearing either in the flywheel or in the input shaft, resulting in a very short input shaft. When that's combined with the thickness of an adapter plate, the result is needing a very thick flywheel.
This post was last modified: 12-22-2020, 08:17 PM by moroza.
moroza
12-22-2020, 08:10 PM #2

Which 716 do you have, how much torque are you putting through it, what clutch and flywheel, and what kind of driving style? I'm interested in data related to these transmissions' durability, while the clutch question can be used to answer your question of whether the splines are the same.

I have little information beyond what DPUK's site lists, but I'll point out that the BMW gearbox is considerably longer and wider than the Mercedes one. What chassis will this go into?

Rewelding the bellhousing places more of the burden on the welding quality, but done right it's a better solution. BMW gearboxes of this era have the pilot bearing either in the flywheel or in the input shaft, resulting in a very short input shaft. When that's combined with the thickness of an adapter plate, the result is needing a very thick flywheel.

Simon B
K26-2

12-23-2020, 07:43 PM #3
I'm running a 716.648 from a C270cdi, flywheel is a solid valeo sprinter one machined to take a Sachs 765 cover plate and a sprinter friction disc. I haven't had it dyno tested recently, but last time it was running 2.5 bar it made 550lbft. I normally only run 2 bar as my daily driver to protect the gearbox, which has lasted 3 years.

My driving style is fairly gentle with it, I don't dump the clutch or do burnouts but I do like to use all the power when accelerating. I can tell you that letting the engine rev out in 4th gear resulted in a shattered clutch spring cage, and on a previous gearbox I striped the teeth from 3rd gear under full load.

I think it's a good gearbox for a daily driver, but once your over 400hp it's borderline.

I bought a clutch plate for a 530d to check the splines, the BMW input shaft size is a lot bigger than the Mercedes but still has 26 splines. The gearbox I want to use has the bearing in the end of the shaft, so I'll need to machine a spigot up to fit there in it's place.

This is all in a w124. Over xmas I'll try and start a thread for the car with the full details of the setup.
This post was last modified: 12-23-2020, 07:46 PM by Simon B.
Simon B
12-23-2020, 07:43 PM #3

I'm running a 716.648 from a C270cdi, flywheel is a solid valeo sprinter one machined to take a Sachs 765 cover plate and a sprinter friction disc. I haven't had it dyno tested recently, but last time it was running 2.5 bar it made 550lbft. I normally only run 2 bar as my daily driver to protect the gearbox, which has lasted 3 years.

My driving style is fairly gentle with it, I don't dump the clutch or do burnouts but I do like to use all the power when accelerating. I can tell you that letting the engine rev out in 4th gear resulted in a shattered clutch spring cage, and on a previous gearbox I striped the teeth from 3rd gear under full load.

I think it's a good gearbox for a daily driver, but once your over 400hp it's borderline.

I bought a clutch plate for a 530d to check the splines, the BMW input shaft size is a lot bigger than the Mercedes but still has 26 splines. The gearbox I want to use has the bearing in the end of the shaft, so I'll need to machine a spigot up to fit there in it's place.

This is all in a w124. Over xmas I'll try and start a thread for the car with the full details of the setup.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average