STD Tuning Engine Vacuum leak = internal injection pump shutoff?

Vacuum leak = internal injection pump shutoff?

Vacuum leak = internal injection pump shutoff?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

vica153
GT2256V

08-20-2021, 02:14 PM #1
I have a  OM603 pump on a OM606. Been running it for a while, but I've have always noticed a shutoff issue that I want to see if it is a known feature.

I have noticed that if I introduce a large leak to the vacuum system such that the system isn't holding any vacuum, then in 5-10 seconds the engine will shut off.  I have tested it many times and it perfectly repeatable even with the hose removed from the actual vacuum shutoff valve. The only Mercedes parts I'm using are the OM606 engine and OM603 injection pump, so there is no way its some other external electronic/vacuum shutoff. 

In the OEM Mercedes setup, vacuum gets used everywhere so it would make sense for them to build in a safety shutoff if the vacuum system isn't working.

Is this a feature of the OM603 injection pump? Or is this an indication that something is installed incorrectly?

My setup takes a couple revolutions to start and I'm wondering if that all may be due to this internal auto shutoff needing to see a little vacuum before it allows for fueling. I guess I could test that hypothesis by pulling some vacuum with an external source and seeing if it starts quicker.
This post was last modified: 08-20-2021, 02:24 PM by vica153.
vica153
08-20-2021, 02:14 PM #1

I have a  OM603 pump on a OM606. Been running it for a while, but I've have always noticed a shutoff issue that I want to see if it is a known feature.

I have noticed that if I introduce a large leak to the vacuum system such that the system isn't holding any vacuum, then in 5-10 seconds the engine will shut off.  I have tested it many times and it perfectly repeatable even with the hose removed from the actual vacuum shutoff valve. The only Mercedes parts I'm using are the OM606 engine and OM603 injection pump, so there is no way its some other external electronic/vacuum shutoff. 

In the OEM Mercedes setup, vacuum gets used everywhere so it would make sense for them to build in a safety shutoff if the vacuum system isn't working.

Is this a feature of the OM603 injection pump? Or is this an indication that something is installed incorrectly?

My setup takes a couple revolutions to start and I'm wondering if that all may be due to this internal auto shutoff needing to see a little vacuum before it allows for fueling. I guess I could test that hypothesis by pulling some vacuum with an external source and seeing if it starts quicker.

Eric78
GT2559V

08-21-2021, 12:28 AM #2
I've had similar issues that I traced to the actual connection to the vacuum actuator on the pump, a 30mm long piece of rubber that connected a hard plastic vac line to the actuator had expanded. There is a manual shutoff on the side of injection pump(between the intake runners of cylinder 2 & 3 on an OM602), but you're screwed when you snap your bonnet(hood) cable. I have to fix my vac line & my bonnet release, thinking of running a cable from the manual shut off into the footwell.
Eric78
08-21-2021, 12:28 AM #2

I've had similar issues that I traced to the actual connection to the vacuum actuator on the pump, a 30mm long piece of rubber that connected a hard plastic vac line to the actuator had expanded. There is a manual shutoff on the side of injection pump(between the intake runners of cylinder 2 & 3 on an OM602), but you're screwed when you snap your bonnet(hood) cable. I have to fix my vac line & my bonnet release, thinking of running a cable from the manual shut off into the footwell.

vica153
GT2256V

08-22-2021, 12:22 PM #3
Normal vacuum and manual shutoffs are functioning fine.
This post was last modified: 08-22-2021, 12:22 PM by vica153.
vica153
08-22-2021, 12:22 PM #3

Normal vacuum and manual shutoffs are functioning fine.

barrote
Superturbo

08-23-2021, 02:56 AM #4
Vica173,
A mechanical pump as many some other electronics kill the engine by stopping fuel delivery, almost all. Newer devices have IMObilizer feature wich may call for acessories to avoid fuel being delivered for start... thats why some vehicles take time to stop when this is being done by IMO.
In the M pumps with RSF governor, fuel delivery is stopped by pulling rack to 0 delivery by means of a pneumatic actuator.
This actuator uses vac (neg press) and is kept open by a spring, once pressure is gone it returns to fuel delivery... if u have a leak big enough engine will not stop, and if leak is small it may take a wile to stop.
Just that... plain and simple. Using pneumatic valves to do the job requires 2 of them as vac need to excape in 1 sec after key is on. Otherwise rack take time to recover to start delivery...

FD,