STD Tuning Engine OM606.962 hard starting

OM606.962 hard starting

OM606.962 hard starting

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

12-09-2021, 04:32 PM #1
Can anyone advise me about fueling and hard starts? it seems the colder temperatures are causing my crank times to go up. I have to crank 3-4 times up to 20 seconds each time before it starts. My engine is in a 97 f150 and I kept the Ford frame rail gas filter intact. Should I gut or remove it? I fear being designed for gas, maybe it's not diesel friendly. All my other issues have been addressed ie all glow plugs functional, no bubbles in lines, fresh winter fuel,and starts fine above 45F. I can increase glow time if that might help also. I've got it set for 6 seconds at 30F FYI. Thanks
This post was last modified: 12-09-2021, 04:34 PM by 50harleyrider.
50harleyrider
12-09-2021, 04:32 PM #1

Can anyone advise me about fueling and hard starts? it seems the colder temperatures are causing my crank times to go up. I have to crank 3-4 times up to 20 seconds each time before it starts. My engine is in a 97 f150 and I kept the Ford frame rail gas filter intact. Should I gut or remove it? I fear being designed for gas, maybe it's not diesel friendly. All my other issues have been addressed ie all glow plugs functional, no bubbles in lines, fresh winter fuel,and starts fine above 45F. I can increase glow time if that might help also. I've got it set for 6 seconds at 30F FYI. Thanks

barrote
Superturbo

12-09-2021, 06:26 PM #2
6 seconds? I guess that is your problem.
Just try manual glow for 35sec then report back

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
12-09-2021, 06:26 PM #2

6 seconds? I guess that is your problem.
Just try manual glow for 35sec then report back

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

12-10-2021, 10:22 AM #3
thanks barrote. i'll try incteasing glow 10 seconds at a time. 35 seconds is much
50harleyrider
12-10-2021, 10:22 AM #3

thanks barrote. i'll try incteasing glow 10 seconds at a time. 35 seconds is much

barrote
Superturbo

12-11-2021, 05:03 AM #4
Hum,
i'm not sure on the numbers but the 606 box is dependant on coolant temp. And it takes quite a long time to glow, in any case never less than 20sec , and increases with low temps.
Other thing is that , the box is a really feat of analogic electronics, not only a solenoid with a timer...
I really recomend u to get one w210's use same box... and sprinters too.
Box is stand alone electronics.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
12-11-2021, 05:03 AM #4

Hum,
i'm not sure on the numbers but the 606 box is dependant on coolant temp. And it takes quite a long time to glow, in any case never less than 20sec , and increases with low temps.
Other thing is that , the box is a really feat of analogic electronics, not only a solenoid with a timer...
I really recomend u to get one w210's use same box... and sprinters too.
Box is stand alone electronics.

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

baldur
Fast

12-12-2021, 08:10 PM #5
This is what my OM602 repair manual shows for glow timing. Top chart is preglow time and bottom is after start.
[Image: CTg4EG5.png]

Baldur Gislason

baldur
12-12-2021, 08:10 PM #5

This is what my OM602 repair manual shows for glow timing. Top chart is preglow time and bottom is after start.
[Image: CTg4EG5.png]

Baldur Gislason

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

12-14-2021, 07:38 AM #6
Those look like the default settings you put in the DSL1, Baldur. I did go ahead and increase all the pre start times from 0C and lower by 100% and still no start. I have 6 healthy glow plugs in it and a new filter. I may have a restriction in the fuel delivery system. I'm still using the OE f150 lift pump and return line and am checking the fuel supply pressure at the engine next. I have been running this unregulated setup for about 2 years now, so might have burned up the lift pump from constant running. Would it be best for me to eliminate the f150 lift pump altogether since the w210 never had one and rely on the pump inside the IP? I don't like relying on the scavenger pump because of keeping it primed and air out.
This post was last modified: 12-14-2021, 07:54 AM by 50harleyrider.
50harleyrider
12-14-2021, 07:38 AM #6

Those look like the default settings you put in the DSL1, Baldur. I did go ahead and increase all the pre start times from 0C and lower by 100% and still no start. I have 6 healthy glow plugs in it and a new filter. I may have a restriction in the fuel delivery system. I'm still using the OE f150 lift pump and return line and am checking the fuel supply pressure at the engine next. I have been running this unregulated setup for about 2 years now, so might have burned up the lift pump from constant running. Would it be best for me to eliminate the f150 lift pump altogether since the w210 never had one and rely on the pump inside the IP? I don't like relying on the scavenger pump because of keeping it primed and air out.

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

12-14-2021, 08:06 AM #7
I may have predicted my problem way back on post 19 when I had this same problem. I probably should have regulated the lift pump then Angry :
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/show...p?tid=8079
This post was last modified: 12-14-2021, 08:10 AM by 50harleyrider.
50harleyrider
12-14-2021, 08:06 AM #7

I may have predicted my problem way back on post 19 when I had this same problem. I probably should have regulated the lift pump then Angry :
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/show...p?tid=8079

baldur
Fast

12-14-2021, 10:58 AM #8
If you run the F150 pump at full power you absolutely must use a return regulator that keeps the pressure into the injection pump constant. The stock return banjo with the check valve in it does not flow enough.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
12-14-2021, 10:58 AM #8

If you run the F150 pump at full power you absolutely must use a return regulator that keeps the pressure into the injection pump constant. The stock return banjo with the check valve in it does not flow enough.

Baldur Gislason

TE27Levin
K26-2

12-14-2021, 02:44 PM #9
Oh snap, Yeah you would definetley want to regulate that. I am running a DRX17SAR from Diesel RX. I don't have a gauge on it, but in the instructions the lowest setting is 15PSI which is good for the injection pump. My stock fuel system on my truck is returnless, so I made my old evap line the return line and did some things to get rid of the canister. Works like a charm.
TE27Levin
12-14-2021, 02:44 PM #9

Oh snap, Yeah you would definetley want to regulate that. I am running a DRX17SAR from Diesel RX. I don't have a gauge on it, but in the instructions the lowest setting is 15PSI which is good for the injection pump. My stock fuel system on my truck is returnless, so I made my old evap line the return line and did some things to get rid of the canister. Works like a charm.

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

12-16-2021, 05:53 PM #10
baldur If you run the F150 pump at full power you absolutely must use a return regulator that keeps the pressure into the injection pump constant. The stock return banjo with the check valve in it does not flow enough.

Thanks Baldur,
Should I eliminate the banjo return when I ad a return regulator?
50harleyrider
12-16-2021, 05:53 PM #10

baldur If you run the F150 pump at full power you absolutely must use a return regulator that keeps the pressure into the injection pump constant. The stock return banjo with the check valve in it does not flow enough.

Thanks Baldur,
Should I eliminate the banjo return when I ad a return regulator?

baldur
Fast

12-17-2021, 10:27 AM #11
(12-16-2021, 05:53 PM)50harleyrider

Thanks Baldur,
Should I eliminate the banjo return when I ad a  return regulator?

Depends on how you do it. I would recommend just putting the regulator ahead of the filter and keeping the existing return system as is, just tee the regular into the supply line and the return line.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
12-17-2021, 10:27 AM #11

(12-16-2021, 05:53 PM)50harleyrider

Thanks Baldur,
Should I eliminate the banjo return when I ad a  return regulator?

Depends on how you do it. I would recommend just putting the regulator ahead of the filter and keeping the existing return system as is, just tee the regular into the supply line and the return line.

Baldur Gislason

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

12-17-2021, 12:01 PM #12
Baldur can you provide a sketch of that? I'm a bit confused about teeing the regulator into the supply line  AND return line. Did you mean the supply to the regulator and return to the filter? My OE lift pump is functioning fine so I didn't destroy it running unregulated constant on. Should I electronically regulate it so it will operate with a duty cycle less than 100%? i'm also afraid I may have destroyed the banjo check valve running this way. Anyone know the part number for it on the 606.962?
This post was last modified: 12-17-2021, 01:15 PM by 50harleyrider.
50harleyrider
12-17-2021, 12:01 PM #12

Baldur can you provide a sketch of that? I'm a bit confused about teeing the regulator into the supply line  AND return line. Did you mean the supply to the regulator and return to the filter? My OE lift pump is functioning fine so I didn't destroy it running unregulated constant on. Should I electronically regulate it so it will operate with a duty cycle less than 100%? i'm also afraid I may have destroyed the banjo check valve running this way. Anyone know the part number for it on the 606.962?

barrote
Superturbo

12-18-2021, 04:35 AM #13
Hy ,
This fuel circuit on the 606 is quite a odd thing...
The valve on the banjo has much more to do with preventing line bleeding than regulation... as if one looks carefully to the lift pump soon find out it is kind of self regulated.
The only thing required when using a electrical lift , is to avoid pipe bursting. In case u use high flow unit like 044 a fuel pressure regulator is required, or if u want to complicate a litle a pulse wave regulador dependent on press.
As most elec pumps are self regulated u dont need to worry as the 606 pump has nothing that can be harmed if u run 5 bar in the gallery...
Hope it helps
Regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel
barrote
12-18-2021, 04:35 AM #13

Hy ,
The valve on the banjo has much more to do with preventing line bleeding than regulation... as if one looks carefully to the lift pump soon find out it is kind of self regulated.
The only thing required when using a electrical lift , is to avoid pipe bursting. In case u use high flow unit like 044 a fuel pressure regulator is required, or if u want to complicate a litle a pulse wave regulador dependent on press.
As most elec pumps are self regulated u dont need to worry as the 606 pump has nothing that can be harmed if u run 5 bar in the gallery...
Hope it helps
Regards

FD,
Powered by tractor fuel

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

12-18-2021, 11:12 AM #14
barrote Hy ,
Hope it helps
Regards

thanks barrette. Do all your comments take into account the original 1997 f150 lift pump? It is controlled by a driver mounted on the frame rail and the gas engine had a regulator on the fuel rail on the engine. I have eliminated the regulator when going diesel as well as the driver. my research indicates a 5-70% duty cycle is what the pump should run. None of the other posts have agreed 5 bar pressure would not cause problem so I am still confused.
This post was last modified: 12-18-2021, 11:16 AM by 50harleyrider.
50harleyrider
12-18-2021, 11:12 AM #14

barrote Hy ,
Hope it helps
Regards

thanks barrette. Do all your comments take into account the original 1997 f150 lift pump? It is controlled by a driver mounted on the frame rail and the gas engine had a regulator on the fuel rail on the engine. I have eliminated the regulator when going diesel as well as the driver. my research indicates a 5-70% duty cycle is what the pump should run. None of the other posts have agreed 5 bar pressure would not cause problem so I am still confused.

WSchotty
K26-2

12-18-2021, 03:53 PM #15
(12-18-2021, 11:12 AM)50harleyrider Baldur can you provide a sketch of that? I'm a bit confused about teeing the regulator into the supply line  AND return line. Did you mean the supply to the regulator and return to the filter? My OE lift pump is functioning fine so I didn't destroy it running unregulated constant on. Should I electronically regulate it so it will operate with a duty cycle less than 100%? i'm also afraid I may have destroyed the banjo check valve running this way. Anyone know the part number for it on the 606.962?
------

The way I regulated the system on my mechanical pump was a regular banjo on pump return with a quality aftermarket bypass regulator right after the pump but entering the return before the injector return merges with the main return line. I hold 1.5 bar constant running a small Bosch fuel pump, no pressure issues. If you put the regulator after the injector returns you will have a bad time, I learned that quickly on my first attempt. The bypass type regulators are for continuous duty pumps and hold the set pressure while continuously dumping excess flow back in the tank. If you have a pump rated for continuous duty and not oversized for the application you don't have to reduce the duty cycle, if that is possible for the pump motor design.

I've been researching switching to a brushless pump, like a fuellab prodigy. If you look at their literature they have some diagrams showing the different regulator applications, here is one of their regulators with manual in "instructions" on that page, which shows the concept: https://www.jegs.com/i/Fuelab/083/51506-1-S-T/10002/-1. The bosch gas pumps I used (original to some mercedes gas cars) have brushes which do not live as long in diesel, and I have had trouble with air and fuel leakage due to apparent rubber incompatibility which is why I'm switching to something speced for diesel.

WSchotty
12-18-2021, 03:53 PM #15

(12-18-2021, 11:12 AM)50harleyrider Baldur can you provide a sketch of that? I'm a bit confused about teeing the regulator into the supply line  AND return line. Did you mean the supply to the regulator and return to the filter? My OE lift pump is functioning fine so I didn't destroy it running unregulated constant on. Should I electronically regulate it so it will operate with a duty cycle less than 100%? i'm also afraid I may have destroyed the banjo check valve running this way. Anyone know the part number for it on the 606.962?
------

The way I regulated the system on my mechanical pump was a regular banjo on pump return with a quality aftermarket bypass regulator right after the pump but entering the return before the injector return merges with the main return line. I hold 1.5 bar constant running a small Bosch fuel pump, no pressure issues. If you put the regulator after the injector returns you will have a bad time, I learned that quickly on my first attempt. The bypass type regulators are for continuous duty pumps and hold the set pressure while continuously dumping excess flow back in the tank. If you have a pump rated for continuous duty and not oversized for the application you don't have to reduce the duty cycle, if that is possible for the pump motor design.

I've been researching switching to a brushless pump, like a fuellab prodigy. If you look at their literature they have some diagrams showing the different regulator applications, here is one of their regulators with manual in "instructions" on that page, which shows the concept: https://www.jegs.com/i/Fuelab/083/51506-1-S-T/10002/-1. The bosch gas pumps I used (original to some mercedes gas cars) have brushes which do not live as long in diesel, and I have had trouble with air and fuel leakage due to apparent rubber incompatibility which is why I'm switching to something speced for diesel.

baldur
Fast

12-18-2021, 08:10 PM #16
(12-17-2021, 12:01 PM)50harleyrider Baldur can you provide a sketch of that? I'm a bit confused about teeing the regulator into the supply line  AND return line. Did you mean the supply to the regulator and return to the filter? My OE lift pump is functioning fine so I didn't destroy it running unregulated constant on. Should I electronically regulate it so it will operate with a duty cycle less than 100%? i'm also afraid I may have destroyed the banjo check valve running this way. Anyone know the part number for it on the 606.962?

The regulator has an inlet and and return port. Tee the inlet port into the pressure line from the pump, tee the return port into the return line. Some regulators have two inlet ports so that the regulator itself can be a tee, you can just route the supply line to the engine through it, and then tee into the return line as the engine has return lines too.

Baldur Gislason

baldur
12-18-2021, 08:10 PM #16

(12-17-2021, 12:01 PM)50harleyrider Baldur can you provide a sketch of that? I'm a bit confused about teeing the regulator into the supply line  AND return line. Did you mean the supply to the regulator and return to the filter? My OE lift pump is functioning fine so I didn't destroy it running unregulated constant on. Should I electronically regulate it so it will operate with a duty cycle less than 100%? i'm also afraid I may have destroyed the banjo check valve running this way. Anyone know the part number for it on the 606.962?

The regulator has an inlet and and return port. Tee the inlet port into the pressure line from the pump, tee the return port into the return line. Some regulators have two inlet ports so that the regulator itself can be a tee, you can just route the supply line to the engine through it, and then tee into the return line as the engine has return lines too.

Baldur Gislason

50harleyrider
GTA2359VK

12-19-2021, 05:29 PM #17
I must really be stupid about fuel regulation. Using tees rather than just adding the regulator to the supply line really confuses me. Maybe the pressure balance is what I don't understand. I'm thinking a dead-head regulator but I guess that won't work on a continuous flowing system. I need a bypass type regulator. Right? Can a VE engine benefit from more fuel pressure with more boost or is the VE design prohibitive?
This post was last modified: 12-19-2021, 06:14 PM by 50harleyrider.
50harleyrider
12-19-2021, 05:29 PM #17

I must really be stupid about fuel regulation. Using tees rather than just adding the regulator to the supply line really confuses me. Maybe the pressure balance is what I don't understand. I'm thinking a dead-head regulator but I guess that won't work on a continuous flowing system. I need a bypass type regulator. Right? Can a VE engine benefit from more fuel pressure with more boost or is the VE design prohibitive?

barrote
Superturbo

12-20-2021, 03:02 AM #18
Come on, its not so complicated.
M pumps don't even need lift pump, in most cases. If u decide to use the original lift pump just need to plug a line to it.
VE systems are quite diff , as the VE has one low pressure pump inside , in most cases able to suck fuel from far away.
In VE's the output of this LP pump is used as tranfer case pressure wich power some gadgets in the pump , and the most important is dynamic advance. Altering the inlet pressure will alter the case pressure and u know the result.
Baldur was describing the use of a FPR and usually that thing is a check valve.
Once conected the pressure line , one regulated port goes for engine , another goes for tank, the u can tee the pump and injector return.
Watch pressures to avoid feeding by return.
Regards

FD,