STD Other Projects W123 OM605 swap

W123 OM605 swap

W123 OM605 swap

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

veg124
Naturally-aspirated

02-08-2022, 11:04 AM #1
Looks like it's pretty quiet on here since last August!

I've got some posts on here but figured I throw my hat in the proverbial ring.

Mine's a 1982 240D w/ about 215k miles and the factory issue rust problems. But it passed MOT and is not so ugly.

I've also got a 1998 C250 with the OM605, which I've removed and am prepping to install a DPUK mechanical pump (7.7mm elements? dunno).

I really am doing it so I can prove to myself that I'm capable. Not interested in burn outs (sorry) but really want a classic car with modern equipment.

I've chosen to go with a 5 speed out of a W124 and use the pedal box currently in the donor 123.

I'd love to have some suggestions/feedback/ideas for whether I need:
- a buncha gauges like EGT, boost, tach (would like one but seems faffy to install)
- fancy intercooler or just whatever I can find that doesn't suck
- radiator: bigger or just the 240d one or similar?
- need an oil cooler or no?
- stick with the factry HVAC or delete that and go with electric heater ...basically for something less complicated
- fans: electric or oem (which I have and would be easiest option)
- 2 or 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust?
- water injection (for when I run straight not waste veg oil)? I have a used kit from a respectable manufacturer.

Of course there are a zillion other things to sort like trans support, prop shaft lengths, balancing flywheel (necessary?) and just fiddlef*ckery trying to get everything to fit and work and not rattle.

I'm not a perfectionist; just wanting a bit more power than like the 50 the car currently has. Probably will be looking at 150-170 so nothing earth shattering!
Attached Files
Image(s)

1982 240D LHD
1982 300TD LHD
1983 300SD LHD
1986 300SDL LHD
1992 300TD RHD
1998 C250 TD RHD
1982 240d RHD
1998 Sprinter 'Prambulance' RHD
veg124
02-08-2022, 11:04 AM #1

Looks like it's pretty quiet on here since last August!

I've got some posts on here but figured I throw my hat in the proverbial ring.

Mine's a 1982 240D w/ about 215k miles and the factory issue rust problems. But it passed MOT and is not so ugly.

I've also got a 1998 C250 with the OM605, which I've removed and am prepping to install a DPUK mechanical pump (7.7mm elements? dunno).

I really am doing it so I can prove to myself that I'm capable. Not interested in burn outs (sorry) but really want a classic car with modern equipment.

I've chosen to go with a 5 speed out of a W124 and use the pedal box currently in the donor 123.

I'd love to have some suggestions/feedback/ideas for whether I need:
- a buncha gauges like EGT, boost, tach (would like one but seems faffy to install)
- fancy intercooler or just whatever I can find that doesn't suck
- radiator: bigger or just the 240d one or similar?
- need an oil cooler or no?
- stick with the factry HVAC or delete that and go with electric heater ...basically for something less complicated
- fans: electric or oem (which I have and would be easiest option)
- 2 or 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust?
- water injection (for when I run straight not waste veg oil)? I have a used kit from a respectable manufacturer.

Of course there are a zillion other things to sort like trans support, prop shaft lengths, balancing flywheel (necessary?) and just fiddlef*ckery trying to get everything to fit and work and not rattle.

I'm not a perfectionist; just wanting a bit more power than like the 50 the car currently has. Probably will be looking at 150-170 so nothing earth shattering!

Attached Files
Image(s)

1982 240D LHD
1982 300TD LHD
1983 300SD LHD
1986 300SDL LHD
1992 300TD RHD
1998 C250 TD RHD
1982 240d RHD
1998 Sprinter 'Prambulance' RHD

yumcha123
Unregistered

08-09-2022, 07:13 PM #2
Well I can't offer too much advice, as I am just about to embark on the same build. So will keenly follow this.

I am putting an OM605 (non-turbo) into my W123 shell. Its the first gen here in Australia, so it has the factory mech pump and 4 speed trans (no computers). Hoping it bolts up quite easily!

From my experience with 4wds, yes an EGT can be a life saver. I really think you would need a bigger rad, the 240d rad is tiny. Also from previously having a few track cars, a decent intercooler makes a big difference! Especially compared with no intercooler.

Electric thermo fans are very very easy to wire in and can't really see a downside.

Yes you'll defs need a pro to balance the flywheel and such.

Keen to see this come along.
yumcha123
08-09-2022, 07:13 PM #2

Well I can't offer too much advice, as I am just about to embark on the same build. So will keenly follow this.

I am putting an OM605 (non-turbo) into my W123 shell. Its the first gen here in Australia, so it has the factory mech pump and 4 speed trans (no computers). Hoping it bolts up quite easily!

From my experience with 4wds, yes an EGT can be a life saver. I really think you would need a bigger rad, the 240d rad is tiny. Also from previously having a few track cars, a decent intercooler makes a big difference! Especially compared with no intercooler.

Electric thermo fans are very very easy to wire in and can't really see a downside.

Yes you'll defs need a pro to balance the flywheel and such.

Keen to see this come along.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average