STD Tuning Drivetrain Tremec Gearboxes for OM606?

Tremec Gearboxes for OM606?

Tremec Gearboxes for OM606?

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Simon B
K26-2

05-28-2022, 05:56 PM #1
So a chance phone call from a friend has got me a gearbox from a Ssangyong musso, these are a 4wd version of a Tremec T5 gearbox. Now the T5 gearbox itself is no good behind a Om606 as it wont take the power, but the bit that interests me is the bell housing. This is a separate alloy casting with what looks like a normal T5 bolt pattern, so could this be used to put a stronger Tremec behind the 606?

The new Tremec TKX gearbox is a fair bit smaller than the older gearboxes, and looks like it might fit in a w124 without choping up the gearbox tunnel. It's only a 5 speed vs the cdi 6 speed that I have now, but it is rated for 600lbft and has a cable drive for the Merc speedo. 

I'll wait till i have the ssangyong bell-housing bolted to a spare engine, then I'll try to get some dimensions for the TKX from tremec to see if it will fit. But the pros if it can be done are that it would use the existing Merc flywheel/clutch combo (26 spline GM input shaft is the same as Merc), and is a bolt together package rather than welded bellhousings or huge adapter kits.

Progress on this will be slow (I have too much to do as it is) but I will try to share the info I find.
Simon B
05-28-2022, 05:56 PM #1

So a chance phone call from a friend has got me a gearbox from a Ssangyong musso, these are a 4wd version of a Tremec T5 gearbox. Now the T5 gearbox itself is no good behind a Om606 as it wont take the power, but the bit that interests me is the bell housing. This is a separate alloy casting with what looks like a normal T5 bolt pattern, so could this be used to put a stronger Tremec behind the 606?

The new Tremec TKX gearbox is a fair bit smaller than the older gearboxes, and looks like it might fit in a w124 without choping up the gearbox tunnel. It's only a 5 speed vs the cdi 6 speed that I have now, but it is rated for 600lbft and has a cable drive for the Merc speedo. 

I'll wait till i have the ssangyong bell-housing bolted to a spare engine, then I'll try to get some dimensions for the TKX from tremec to see if it will fit. But the pros if it can be done are that it would use the existing Merc flywheel/clutch combo (26 spline GM input shaft is the same as Merc), and is a bolt together package rather than welded bellhousings or huge adapter kits.

Progress on this will be slow (I have too much to do as it is) but I will try to share the info I find.

TheKulakKing
Naturally-aspirated

11-21-2023, 09:14 AM #2
Would the T56 Magnum/TR6060 be a viable option to put behind the 606 in the 210 chassis? Been trying to find 6-speed manual options that would fit in the 210 chassis, but have not found much. DPUK sells a 37DZ transmission and it looks like he got it to fit in the 124 chassis without much work, but has not made an update about the fitment for any platform other than the G-Wagen. In fact, the only comment I've seen him make about it is on the store page where he only references the G-Wagen platform.
TheKulakKing
11-21-2023, 09:14 AM #2

Would the T56 Magnum/TR6060 be a viable option to put behind the 606 in the 210 chassis? Been trying to find 6-speed manual options that would fit in the 210 chassis, but have not found much. DPUK sells a 37DZ transmission and it looks like he got it to fit in the 124 chassis without much work, but has not made an update about the fitment for any platform other than the G-Wagen. In fact, the only comment I've seen him make about it is on the store page where he only references the G-Wagen platform.

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average