STD Other Projects 1953 Chrysler Imperial OM617

1953 Chrysler Imperial OM617

1953 Chrysler Imperial OM617

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DZLBOMB
Naturally-aspirated

08-30-2022, 08:24 PM #1
Building this with/for my oldest (15) paid for it with his own cash, both cars, the '53 he paid $300 for it, and got real lucky picked up an '82 300SD w/ 154k for $400. Enjoy the photos!
DZLBOMB
08-30-2022, 08:24 PM #1

Building this with/for my oldest (15) paid for it with his own cash, both cars, the '53 he paid $300 for it, and got real lucky picked up an '82 300SD w/ 154k for $400. Enjoy the photos!

DZLBOMB
Naturally-aspirated

08-30-2022, 08:34 PM #2
Okay not letting me upload photos. Ive spend about 5 hrs so far cleaning this engine to get ready to paint it, I unknowingly removed the timing chain tensioner, cleaned the mating surfaces and bolted it back on. What are the chances the timing is now off? Is there anything else I could have possibly messed up by removing it briefly?
DZLBOMB
08-30-2022, 08:34 PM #2

Okay not letting me upload photos. Ive spend about 5 hrs so far cleaning this engine to get ready to paint it, I unknowingly removed the timing chain tensioner, cleaned the mating surfaces and bolted it back on. What are the chances the timing is now off? Is there anything else I could have possibly messed up by removing it briefly?

WSchotty
K26-2

09-03-2022, 09:49 PM #3
Should be fine if all you did was remove and replace the oil tensioner. Rotate engine to mark on cam/tower and check crank if suspect. You'll want to adjust the valves anyway if you haven't already.

WSchotty
09-03-2022, 09:49 PM #3

Should be fine if all you did was remove and replace the oil tensioner. Rotate engine to mark on cam/tower and check crank if suspect. You'll want to adjust the valves anyway if you haven't already.

DZLBOMB
Naturally-aspirated

09-07-2022, 11:12 AM #4
(09-03-2022, 09:49 PM)WSchotty Should be fine if all you did was remove and replace the oil tensioner. Rotate engine to mark on cam/tower and check crank if suspect. You'll want to adjust the valves anyway if you haven't already.

I contacted a guy that specializes in OM617, he said the tensioner won't engage until it has oil pressure so I think best bet is to remove it and treat it as if im installing a new one. Based upon the sticky that offers free image hosting I'm assuming its not my phone that is not allowing me to post photos? All images have to be hosted here?
DZLBOMB
09-07-2022, 11:12 AM #4

(09-03-2022, 09:49 PM)WSchotty Should be fine if all you did was remove and replace the oil tensioner. Rotate engine to mark on cam/tower and check crank if suspect. You'll want to adjust the valves anyway if you haven't already.

I contacted a guy that specializes in OM617, he said the tensioner won't engage until it has oil pressure so I think best bet is to remove it and treat it as if im installing a new one. Based upon the sticky that offers free image hosting I'm assuming its not my phone that is not allowing me to post photos? All images have to be hosted here?

DZLBOMB
Naturally-aspirated

09-27-2022, 10:15 AM #5
Finally got around to finishing up all new gaskets, when I pulled the timing chain tensioner to install a new gasket and tensioner spring I noticed the old spring had some fresh scoring and with the valve cover off it seemed as if there were far too much tension so if anyone else runs into the same scenario, definitely definitely do NOT just reinstall the tensioner as a single unit even if you only pulled it completely out for a second.
DZLBOMB
09-27-2022, 10:15 AM #5

Finally got around to finishing up all new gaskets, when I pulled the timing chain tensioner to install a new gasket and tensioner spring I noticed the old spring had some fresh scoring and with the valve cover off it seemed as if there were far too much tension so if anyone else runs into the same scenario, definitely definitely do NOT just reinstall the tensioner as a single unit even if you only pulled it completely out for a second.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average