STD Tuning Engine OM606 for boat use, turbo choice and keeping temps low

OM606 for boat use, turbo choice and keeping temps low

OM606 for boat use, turbo choice and keeping temps low

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

oho
Naturally-aspirated

11-09-2022, 04:22 PM #1
Hi guys, I am trying to figure out which turbo would be best suited for OM606 that would power 1500kg daycruiser type boat.
The goal is that the engine can produce and withstand constant ~300hp so the turbo choice plays a big factor when it comes to keeping temperatures low enough.

Along with good heat exchanger and oil cooler, large water intercooler would also be fitted.
If necessary I could ask someone to fabricate a custom raw water cooled exhaust manifold, but I prefer not as it would be pretty expensive. Also the fact that to my understand if I cool the exhaust too much, it would have a slight negative impact on turbo spooling as the exhaust could get too cold?

Now to keep temps from climbing too high and keep the engine from blowing up when running half an hour at WOT the key factor to prevent those from happening would be to keep boost pressure low.
Holset HX35 probably needs high boost pressure to achieve +300hp, right? HX40 might do it but the spool time might be bad and it would take long time to get the boat on plane.
What do you guys think?

Injection time is good to keep short as possible since longer injection = higher temps.
I am considering getting the pump done at dieselmeken and getting the big 8mm, however I noticed their website says "we recommend 7,5mm for regular setups in cars, boats etc. 8mm is more of a race high performance element"
Is this true? How big the temperature difference would be between 7,5mm and 8mm? Would I be better off with the 7,5mm and 8mm is just overkill?
oho
11-09-2022, 04:22 PM #1

Hi guys, I am trying to figure out which turbo would be best suited for OM606 that would power 1500kg daycruiser type boat.
The goal is that the engine can produce and withstand constant ~300hp so the turbo choice plays a big factor when it comes to keeping temperatures low enough.

Along with good heat exchanger and oil cooler, large water intercooler would also be fitted.
If necessary I could ask someone to fabricate a custom raw water cooled exhaust manifold, but I prefer not as it would be pretty expensive. Also the fact that to my understand if I cool the exhaust too much, it would have a slight negative impact on turbo spooling as the exhaust could get too cold?

Now to keep temps from climbing too high and keep the engine from blowing up when running half an hour at WOT the key factor to prevent those from happening would be to keep boost pressure low.
Holset HX35 probably needs high boost pressure to achieve +300hp, right? HX40 might do it but the spool time might be bad and it would take long time to get the boat on plane.
What do you guys think?

Injection time is good to keep short as possible since longer injection = higher temps.
I am considering getting the pump done at dieselmeken and getting the big 8mm, however I noticed their website says "we recommend 7,5mm for regular setups in cars, boats etc. 8mm is more of a race high performance element"
Is this true? How big the temperature difference would be between 7,5mm and 8mm? Would I be better off with the 7,5mm and 8mm is just overkill?

futureswap
Naturally-aspirated

11-10-2022, 03:49 AM #2
Hi. Smile I know absolutely nothing about mercedes diesels. That's why i'm here to learn.

But i've had interest in diesels in general for a long time and if it would be any use my gut reaction would be to use one of the turbos from a Cummins 6bt due to being commonly available, tough cast iron, designed for towing ie putting out those powers constantly and with airflows in that HP range, HX35 is one of them. The VGT ones flow even more air at the top end and spool better on the bottom better in every way except the long term reliability of the moving variable geometry part potentially but i'd think constant 300hp from an OM606 might make internals more of a reliability issue than turbo. (diesels putting out 1hp per cubic inch or more have shorter lifespans about like a gas engine, an OM606 is 180 cubic inches so i'd think the turbo would outlast the engine at 1.66hp/cid sustained.

I'll be curious to follow up and watch this build if you make it and to hear how it works, i'm very curious how an OM would handle higher constant loads like this in the real world because i'd love to put one in a fullsize pickup for towing moderate loads.

PS: For cooling exhaust, I have an opinion and it might be unpopular, but cool exhaust means less heat more density. The same mass flows thru the turbo but how efficiently it pushes the wheel varies. The STS turbo rear mount turbosystems for cars asked this question about exhaust cooling too much before the turbo and they just needed different housing geometry to spool well. Thus a VGT turbo could work even better if that ended up being a problem.
This post was last modified: 11-10-2022, 03:52 AM by futureswap.
futureswap
11-10-2022, 03:49 AM #2

Hi. Smile I know absolutely nothing about mercedes diesels. That's why i'm here to learn.

But i've had interest in diesels in general for a long time and if it would be any use my gut reaction would be to use one of the turbos from a Cummins 6bt due to being commonly available, tough cast iron, designed for towing ie putting out those powers constantly and with airflows in that HP range, HX35 is one of them. The VGT ones flow even more air at the top end and spool better on the bottom better in every way except the long term reliability of the moving variable geometry part potentially but i'd think constant 300hp from an OM606 might make internals more of a reliability issue than turbo. (diesels putting out 1hp per cubic inch or more have shorter lifespans about like a gas engine, an OM606 is 180 cubic inches so i'd think the turbo would outlast the engine at 1.66hp/cid sustained.

I'll be curious to follow up and watch this build if you make it and to hear how it works, i'm very curious how an OM would handle higher constant loads like this in the real world because i'd love to put one in a fullsize pickup for towing moderate loads.

PS: For cooling exhaust, I have an opinion and it might be unpopular, but cool exhaust means less heat more density. The same mass flows thru the turbo but how efficiently it pushes the wheel varies. The STS turbo rear mount turbosystems for cars asked this question about exhaust cooling too much before the turbo and they just needed different housing geometry to spool well. Thus a VGT turbo could work even better if that ended up being a problem.

X Double Dot
GTA2056V

11-10-2022, 09:27 AM #3
(11-09-2022, 04:22 PM)oho Hi guys, I am trying to figure out which turbo would be best suited for OM606 that would power 1500kg daycruiser type boat.

What do you guys think?

For longevity I think picking the rpm you want WOT will be the key for helping to size the turbo.  I'd expect you'd want the max rpm somewhere around 4-4500 for that horsepower target, size your prop and boat outdrive accordingly.  4000 rpm should keep the rpm high enough to get the airflow you need without excessive boost requirements as well as keeps it below the OE redline.  Size the turbo so that this WOT point is healthily in the center of turbo efficiency map.  

I recommend messing around on the "Borg Warner Matchbot" calculator to get some numbers.  Its a good way to understand how many variables are at play and how each one effects the outcome.  

you'll need about 34-35 lb/min of air if you want no excessive smoke at 300hp.  If you chose 4000rpm for example, I think you'd need about 21psi to get that flow.  that puts you somewhere in the range of a 65mm compressor exducer, which is a lot smaller than an HX35.  BenzeForce has some HE250's which use a 70mm exducer.  You'd need to find the compressor maps on those but it might be about the right size for what you'd be looking for.
X Double Dot
11-10-2022, 09:27 AM #3

(11-09-2022, 04:22 PM)oho Hi guys, I am trying to figure out which turbo would be best suited for OM606 that would power 1500kg daycruiser type boat.

What do you guys think?

For longevity I think picking the rpm you want WOT will be the key for helping to size the turbo.  I'd expect you'd want the max rpm somewhere around 4-4500 for that horsepower target, size your prop and boat outdrive accordingly.  4000 rpm should keep the rpm high enough to get the airflow you need without excessive boost requirements as well as keeps it below the OE redline.  Size the turbo so that this WOT point is healthily in the center of turbo efficiency map.  

I recommend messing around on the "Borg Warner Matchbot" calculator to get some numbers.  Its a good way to understand how many variables are at play and how each one effects the outcome.  

you'll need about 34-35 lb/min of air if you want no excessive smoke at 300hp.  If you chose 4000rpm for example, I think you'd need about 21psi to get that flow.  that puts you somewhere in the range of a 65mm compressor exducer, which is a lot smaller than an HX35.  BenzeForce has some HE250's which use a 70mm exducer.  You'd need to find the compressor maps on those but it might be about the right size for what you'd be looking for.

barrote
Superturbo

11-13-2022, 01:00 PM #4
Tricky question.... 300hp for 30min , out of a 606?
One should think that the 606 was engenired to last all day @ 180hp in they're class E cars... WOT for 24h.
I'm pretty sure it handles the 300hp for 30min, nevertheless some factors besides temp shall be acounted for.
As someone sugested a speed of 4k to 4.5 k might be a litle too high , best peak tq in 606's is between 3.5 to 4.5 from what ihave seen in dyno maps.
I would take a look at best MAP being 1.5 barmax 1.7 anything above it will blow a lot of crankcase pressure.
Since is a boat lag is not a problem and u can search a 1/1 ratio for exaust press, that will help with EGT.
Colant temps shall not be a problem for a boat (85°C) engine oil temp shall be kept to 120°C.
Just try out and post... the only way to learn ... or calculate as others sugested.
The 7.5 pump is enough for 300hp, more than enough.
Regards

FD,